Damian&Kelly

Traveling between 2yr and 10yr GC

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

My husband is a Green Card holder, through Marriage (K-1). His GC expires July 2011, so we're due to ROC next April. Now I haven't really looked into this yet or the time it takes, but we're thinking about planning a trip back to England to visit next summer. What happens if his 10yr GC isn't approved before July and before We go on this trip? Will this cause problems? Is this something to worry about? Or is the NOA with the expired GC enough evidence?

flag45.gif Damian & Kelly 1502.gif

Rugby, England >> Harrisburg, PA.

Summer 2005 -- Met on Pokerstars.com

June 15th, 2006 -- Met in Person

Feb 1st, 2008 -- Filed I-129F

May 2nd, 2008 -- Visa Interview = Approved. (91days)

May 27th, 2008 -- Damian moves to America!

July 23rd - 30th, 2008 -- Damian's Mum Comes to the US for our wedding.

July 25th, 2008 -- Wedding Day!

March 16th, 2009 -- AOS Sent

May 8th, 2009 -- EAD & AP Approved (51days)

July 14th, 2009 -- AOS Approved!! (118days)

July 21st, 2009 -- Green Card Received (125days)

No RFEs the whole process :) All done myself.

December 4th - 30th, 2009 -- Visited England

April 8th - 30th, 2010 -- Damian's Brother visits us here in PA.

January 19th, 2010 -- Damian got his PA license.

December 10th - 19th, 2010 -- Visited England

September 16th - 30th, 2011 -- Damian's Parents came to visit us here in PA.

June 1st, 2011 -- Mailed ROC to Vermont.

February 21st, 2012 -- 10 Year Green Card Received

April 14th, 2012 -- N-400 Sent to Dallas Lockbox

November 26th, 2012 – Damian Became a US Citizen!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Or is the NOA with the expired GC enough evidence?

Correct. NOA1 is a 1-year extension and he shouldn't have any problems travelling with them (been there, done that). However, my concern is if he misses his biometrics appointment (or an interview, if called for one) while he's overseas. If I were you, either travel after biometrics or have someone you trust to check your mailbox regularly to avoid missing any appointments.

Wife's I-130:

03/15/2019 NOA1 (Nebraska Service Center)

02/11/2020 Case transferred to Vermont Service Center

02/02/2021 NOA2 الحمد لله

02/04/2021 Approval email
02/12/2022 NVC documents submitted

Timeline

Thank you very much!! As for biometrics, if it's anything like AOS then we'll still be here in the US as we're looking to go after July sometime. Are we able to reschedule the interview? We live with my father so he's trusted to check our mail when were gone.

Thanks again for clearing that up for us. Nothing is set in stone but wanted to clear everything up before planning anything.

My husband is a Green Card holder, through Marriage (K-1). His GC expires July 2011, so we're due to ROC next April. Now I haven't really looked into this yet or the time it takes, but we're thinking about planning a trip back to England to visit next summer. What happens if his 10yr GC isn't approved before July and before We go on this trip? Will this cause problems? Is this something to worry about? Or is the NOA with the expired GC enough evidence?

Yes - your husband's GC will be extended for 1 year while his ROC petition is being processed. The NOA will clearly state that as well as state the travel eligibility.

However, there are a couple of things that I would like to mention so you also are aware of. The first thing is that every applicant will go for a biometrics which takes place around a month to two months after the ROC package is received by USCIS. Some people go for a second biometrics if their first one is misread or something is wrong with it. I believe that you can call the FBI and make sure that they cleared your biometrics.

The other thing is make sure you have someone extremely reliable that can check your mail (do not put it on hold) and have them contact you immediately if you receive any mail from USCIS. Although most people do not go for an interview, some applicants are called for an interview and if you do not show up, then they will consider your application abandoned.

Addition;

just read your 2nd post - if you get a biometrics that is dated during your trip, you can attempt an early walk-in which some application support centers allow which will let you get the biometrics done prior to your scheduled appointment. This will keep the wheels in motion instead of delaying your process.

Edited by v333k

N-400 Naturalization Timeline

06/28/11 .. Mailed N-400 package via Priority mail with delivery confirmation

06/30/11 .. Package Delivered to Dallas Lockbox

07/06/11 .. Received e-mail notification of application acceptance

07/06/11 .. Check cashed

07/08/11 .. Received NOA letter

07/29/11 .. Received text/e-mail for biometrics notice

08/03/11 .. Received Biometrics letter - scheduled for 8/24/11

08/04/11 .. Walk-in finger prints done.

08/08/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Placed in line for interview scheduling

09/12/11 .. Received Yellow letter dated 9/7/11

09/13/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Interview scheduled

09/16/11 .. Received interview letter

10/19/11 .. Interview - PASSED

10/20/11 .. Received text/email: Oath scheduled

10/22/11 .. Received OATH letter

11/09/11 .. Oath ceremony

Filed: Other Timeline

If you file in April, hubby will have received the NOA1 (1-year extension) plus be done with the NOA2 (biometrics appointment) within 8 to 10 weeks. The timing seems to be perfect, yet the July airfares will knock your socks off.

Edited by Just Bob

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Timeline

Thank you! Yeah not looking forward to the airfares but if we want to go it will have to be before September, as we have things going on at the end of next year. So either looking at Julyish or if the money and timing is right we might be able to make the trip before ROC.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.