Chenkhmer

How can I revoke her Greencard?

48 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Doesn't sound like she's going back to "visit"

No it doesn't. But you post implied if she did just "go back" it would be the end of story. Important factor being, IF she goes back and IF she gives up her GC then no issue. If she doesn't, there's nothing the OP can do unless he has PROOF this marriage was fraud.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

You win. I give up.

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Bangkok, Thailand

Marriage : 2006-11-08

I-130 Sent : 2008-02-22

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-03-10

I-129F Sent : 2008-04-08

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-04-14

I-129F touched: 2008-05-06

I-130 touched: 2008-05-09

I-129F approved 2008-09-05

I-130 approved 2008-09-05

NVC received 2008-09-12

Pay I-864 2008-10-08

Pay IV bill 2008-10-08

Receive Instruction 2008-11-05

Case Complete 2008-11-18

Medical 2009-01-19/20 passed

Receive Pkt 4 2009-01-30

Interview 221g 2009-02-23

Second interview 2009-03-02 Approved

POE DFW 2009-03-07

Received SS card 2009-03-17

Received GC 2009-04-01

Done for 3 years or 10 years. Haven't decided yet.

(I'm going for the IR-1 and blowing off the K-3. Even if it takes an extra couple months, it's worth it to not have to deal with USCIS again)

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Note:

Please fill out I-130, wait 6 months for approval, then 3 more months for an interview. (Unless of course we've bombed your country into the stone age, then you qualify for expedited processing.)

Welcome to the USA!!!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Cambodia
Timeline

That is what i am afraid. she can go back home and come back. i agree with u

Not it's not "end of story". If she goes back to Cambodia before her card expires she can still come back. She can still apply for ROC on her own, depends how long she stays away from the US for of course.

Timeline

What can i say that its a fraud. I saved all of our emails. She told me that what she wrote in the emails are lies.

No it doesn't. But you post implied if she did just "go back" it would be the end of story. Important factor being, IF she goes back and IF she gives up her GC then no issue. If she doesn't, there's nothing the OP can do unless he has PROOF this marriage was fraud.

If she married you for a green card, why does she want to go back to Cambodia? She's not a "thing" that you can send back...

Edited by Justine+David

Naturalization

9/9: Mailed N-400 package off

9/11: Arrived at Dallas, TX

9/17: NOA

9/19: Check cashed

9/23: Received NOA

10/7: Text from USCIS on status update: Biometrics in the mail

10/9: Received Biometrics letter

10/29: Biometrics

10/31: In-line

2/16: Text from USCIS that Baltimore has scheduled an interview...finally!!

2/24: Interview letter received

3/24: Naturalization interview

Filed: Timeline

Well folks there are always two sides to every story, two lawyers in every court case, two people in every divorce case, and two parties for every immigrant visa.

People seek a GC not because they want or don't want to live in the US, but some people seek a GC for the privilege of entering when they want.

The mere fact that a person from Cambodia wants to return to Cambodia does not mean that person intend to stay permanently in Cambodia. Thus it is possible the marriage started out as a sham and ended up a sham.

On the other side, women in Cambodia typically marry by consensus of their parents while deeply influenced by the better life offerred in America. And it's not just Cambodia, I bet this applies to most countries with low GDPs and third world status. Do women marry for a better life? Of course they do, particularly, if the immigrant comes from poverty or lack of education. And being in America for some is an oppotunity to that better life. I have seen many Cambodian cases where the petitioners in the U.S. make big promises on the quality of life in America, inflate financial earnings and assets, and present a bigger than life picture to the intending immigrant. Of course such bubble will pop in time. It's a tough decision for both sides and I have seen many cases where people have married from a few months to several years with children, yet still end in divorce. This is not fraud, this is poor choices.

Based on my personal observations, I have come to recognize that it isn't so much a case of fraud but more or less a culture shock. Depending on the incoming immigrant's background, it could be a simple case whereby the intending immigrant was not able to properly and timely adapt to the new culture. As a U.S. citizen born in Cambodia myself and current consultant and advisor for companies engaged in development work in Cambodia, I can attest to the fact that many Cambodians whom have lived a major part of their lives in Cambodia seldom get used to the working hours, working ethics, and social order in America. It is difficult to take a person from a country like Cambodia and expect to adapt and adopt the American way of life in such a short time.

This could be a simple case of the petitioner failing to understand the needs of the immigrant, and as much, a possible failure on the immigrant's part to adopt a new culture. But I don't see this as a case of fraud, but a case where both sides having made poor decisions.

Next time know the person you plan to marry more before rushing to get that person a greencard.

**** filed K3/CR1 concurrently. My wife and I both work/live overseas. The following timeline continues from the approval of the K3 VISA.

Our journey
http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=115855

NVC rec'd 130/ assigned case# 5-15-08
Called to request online payment ID# 5-18-08
Rec'd ds 3032/AOS bill by USPS 5-19-08
Rec'd email Online ID# for payment of AOS and DS3032 5-21-08
Returned ds 3032 by USPS during wife visit to U.S. on K3--5-29-09
Paid AOS online: 7-05-09 ( While in Cambodia )
Rec'd email to pay IV bill 7-7-09
Paid IV bill online 7-08-09
Mailed I-864 2-16-10
I- 864 delivered 2-18-10
Mailed DS 230 2-22-10
Ds 230 delivered 2-24-10
AVR says "NVC is awaiting biographic info from petitioner" 2-24-10
AVR says, "NVC has received the info checklist requested." NVC HAS ENTERED DS-230 INTO COMPUTER 3-01-10
SIF: 3-08-10
AVR Case Complete: 3-09-10
Rec'd interview email/date: 3-15-10
Medical: 4-09-10
INTERVIEW( less than 5 minutes ): 4-26-10 APPROVED
Pickup Visa: 4-30-10
POE: LAX 5/31/10
Overnight REENTRY Permit app: 6/01/10
Rec'd SS: 6-10-10
Rec'd Welcome to USA Letter + Green Card Tracking #: 6-14-10
Rec'd NOA1 letter + receipt # for reentry permit: 6-14-10
Rec'd 10 Yr. GC: 6-21-10
Rec'd Bio appt for reentry permit 7-18-10 but changed to 6-28-10 thru INFOpass: 6-25-10
REentry touches: 9-6-10, 9-29-10, 10-4-10
Rec'd email Reentry mailed 10-07-10
Rec'd reentry permit 10-09-10 ( 4 mths 1 wk )

Naturalized 04/2016

Received US Passport 05/2016

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
She told me that what she wrote in the emails are lies.
Let's not be so quick to write off the OP's suspicions as vindictiveness or sour grapes. The quoted line here warrants more exploration, and he also said that the wife's sister did the same thing. Elaboration is needed.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

What can i say that its a fraud. I saved all of our emails. She told me that what she wrote in the emails are lies.

Unfortunately, from what you've told us so far, this doesn't sound like immigration fraud, though I suppose you could make the case that it's marriage fraud. What the immigration law specifically disallows is "marriage for the purpose of evading immigration law", which means getting married for the express purpose of deriving an immigration benefit. If she got married for practically ANY other reason, including pressure from her parents, then she is not guilty of immigration fraud.

Unless you have concrete evidence that she misrepresented herself to the US government, then there is nothing you can do about her immigration status. That is between her and the US government. What you CAN do is notify USCIS once the divorce is final. If she intends to self-petition to remove conditions and get a 10 year green card, this will force her to file right away. USCIS is compelled to take action to terminate the conditional resident status when they learn about the divorce.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Timeline

Her sister married a guy from the usa and divorced him after he got her green card for her. Her sister decided not go back.

Let's not be so quick to write off the OP's suspicions as vindictiveness or sour grapes. The quoted line here warrants more exploration, and he also said that the wife's sister did the same thing. Elaboration is needed.

Timeline

Unfortunately, from what you've told us so far, this doesn't sound like immigration fraud, though I suppose you could make the case that it's marriage fraud. What the immigration law specifically disallows is "marriage for the purpose of evading immigration law", which means getting married for the express purpose of deriving an immigration benefit. If she got married for practically ANY other reason, including pressure from her parents, then she is not guilty of immigration fraud.

Unless you have concrete evidence that she misrepresented herself to the US government, then there is nothing you can do about her immigration status. That is between her and the US government. What you CAN do is notify USCIS once the divorce is final. If she intends to self-petition to remove conditions and get a 10 year green card, this will force her to file right away. USCIS is compelled to take action to terminate the conditional resident status when they learn about the divorce.

Thanks for the tip. I will notify uscis.

Do i just write them a letter?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Thanks for the tip. I will notify uscis.

Do i just write them a letter?

A pending divorce is only relevant to USCIS under certain conditions, such as if she's got an AOS petition pending, or if she's trying to remove conditions and you don't file the I-751 jointly with her. A FINAL divorce is, however, relevant at any point in her conditional residency. At that point, her eligibility for conditional residence ends. Wait until the divorce is final, and then send a copy of the divorce decree to USCIS, along with a cover letter explaining the situation. Be sure to include her alien registration number, and her current address. Your involvement with her immigration status will end at that point.

USCIS is supposed to respond by sending her a letter of intent to begin removal proceedings. If she intends to stay in the US then she is supposed to respond by filing an I-751 to remove conditions, requesting a waiver of the joint filing requirement on the basis of the divorce.

If you do get divorced, and if she does remove conditions on her own, your obligations according to the affidavit of support you signed do not end with the marriage. If she ends up collecting means tested benefits then you could still be stuck with the bill. Something to keep in mind...

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

^^ not true...

Naturalization

9/9: Mailed N-400 package off

9/11: Arrived at Dallas, TX

9/17: NOA

9/19: Check cashed

9/23: Received NOA

10/7: Text from USCIS on status update: Biometrics in the mail

10/9: Received Biometrics letter

10/29: Biometrics

10/31: In-line

2/16: Text from USCIS that Baltimore has scheduled an interview...finally!!

2/24: Interview letter received

3/24: Naturalization interview

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline

you may not renew a GC that is based on marriage if you aren't married anymore. Simple.

unless you are a victim of domestic violence or your partner died. That's why everyone gets worried about the interview when the officers ask for proof of a legitimate marriage.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

you may not renew a GC that is based on marriage if you aren't married anymore. Simple.

Not true... it is possible to self petition based on a marriage entered in "good faith".

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.