angel_eyes1976

immigrant visa

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

my mom holds an immigrant visa...if she would stay in the philipines for more than 6 months but less than one year (say 9 months), is there a chance she can still come back in the US? or would she be turned away at the port of entry? my mom's been here in the US twice and stayed only 7 months each time... your thoughts please...sayang talaga if my mom would just abandon her immigrant visa after all the time, effort and money to get her here...i don't know how to convince her to come back earlier... :(

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

If she stays out of the country more than 6 but less than 12 months once, there is a good chance that she will be let back in, especially if she can show residence in the USA (lease to apartment, job to go back to etc)- though re-entry is certainly not guaranteed! If she does it more than once, her chances of being let back in get smaller every time.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

If she has a 10 year green card she will most likely be ok. Anything over six months and the acumulated time to become a US Citizen starts over. The other issue is if the USCIS determines abandonment:

Fail to file income tax returns while living outside of the United States for any period

Declare yourself a “nonimmigrant” on your tax returns

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=3f443a4107083210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=3f443a4107083210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD

Naturalization

3/23/14 - N400 package sent to Phoenix

3/27/14 - N400 package delivered

4/3/14 - NOA1 receipt date

4/4/14 - check cashed

04/29/14 - biometrics date

07/01/14 - interview date

xx/xx/xx - Oath Ceremony

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

my mom never held a job here in the US...she filed income tax the first time she came here eventhough she didn't have income but it was returned coz of an error when she filled it out...never refiled it coz by that time, she was back in the philippines...and my mom lives with me so no proof of lease...all she has is a joint savings and checking acct.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.