Erthwhile

Proof of US domicile

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Italy
Timeline

Hi,

I have my wife's (who is the pet) bank account statement and her driving license copy. The proposed address we put on the DS-230 though is in a different city from where her bank account is from (same state). This is because she opened her bank account where she went to attend university. Would that be a problem?

What other proofs could we bring? The house isn't hers, it's her grandmother's. We will just stay there before relocating once opportunities are found.

thanks!!

12/07/2009 - I-130 and supporting documents sent to USCIS office in Rome

12/16/2009 - USCIS office received the form

02/16/2010 - NOA1

02/22/2010 - I-130 Approved

05/27/2010 - DS-230 sent

07/19/2010 - Medical exam in Napoli

07/20/2010 - Interview

Timeline

also,

as a proof of countless trips we took together, I don't have the original boarding cards of many of them but I have still the electronic tickets and the relative pictures of the places. Will that be ok?

thansk!!

02/16/2010 - NOA1

05/27/2010 - DS-230 sent

07/20/2010 - Interview

Timeline

Would this letter be ok?

[name]

SS Number: XXX-XX-XXXX

FORM I-864

I, [name], am currently residing in Italy with my husband. Below you will find a list of attached documents to show that my principle residence is in the US and the steps that I have taken to return to the US with my husband.

Steps I have taken to maintain US Domicile:

• Maintained my bank account at US Bank

• Maintained my Missouri driver's license

Supporting Documents for the above steps I have taken:

• US Bank statement showing US address

• Missouri driver's license showing US address

Steps I have taken to return to the US to take up residence:

• Made arrangements for us to live in my grandmother’s house until we find a house on our own

• Actively job searching ever since I returned to the USA.

Since my husband plans to attend college in Ithaca, NY (Cornell University) where he’s been admitted to Cornell University for a MBA, we plan to move there in August and to rent an apartment there, where I plan to look for jobs. I am currently in the USA as the attached electronic ticket shows.

I certify under penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States that the statements in this letter and all accompanying evidence are true and correct.

Signature: ____________________________________________________ Date: ______________________

02/16/2010 - NOA1

05/27/2010 - DS-230 sent

07/20/2010 - Interview

I pretty much used that exact same letter for DCF in Finland. I don't know about Italy, but at least in Finland it was OK. I had the same proof as you but also added:

- that I kept my US credit card

- that I had secured a job in the US

- that I had voted in the US

- that I had a retirement savings account in a US bank

It might be tricky without the job (unless you have a co-sponsor), but I really don't know.

I don't know if they care so much about the bank (where the account was opened) because the US is so big, it's not unusual to open it in one state and then live in another. For example, I opened my account in one state but then lived and had my domicile in another. I am not sure how they would even find out which state the account was opened in, because banks (as far as I know) don't usually tell anyone that.

Good luck!

Timeline

I pretty much used that exact same letter for DCF in Finland. I don't know about Italy, but at least in Finland it was OK. I had the same proof as you but also added:

- that I kept my US credit card

- that I had secured a job in the US

- that I had voted in the US

- that I had a retirement savings account in a US bank

It might be tricky without the job (unless you have a co-sponsor), but I really don't know.

I don't know if they care so much about the bank (where the account was opened) because the US is so big, it's not unusual to open it in one state and then live in another. For example, I opened my account in one state but then lived and had my domicile in another. I am not sure how they would even find out which state the account was opened in, because banks (as far as I know) don't usually tell anyone that.

Good luck!

Hi tupuna,

thanks!

Yeah, we have a joint sponsor, so that won't be an issue for now :) also, I will bring along my bank statement to show anyways I have some euros for the first months!!

02/16/2010 - NOA1

05/27/2010 - DS-230 sent

07/20/2010 - Interview

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.