TONY M

Where do I begin?

100 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

[quote name=NVC FAN :(' date='17 June 2010 - 04:59 PM' timestamp='1276808360' post='4010598]

I think it would be easier to find another girlfriend.

:rofl: that could actually be posted in many (most?) of the threads here

2005 Meet online

2008 Meet in person (with lots of visits to follow!)

December 21, 2009 Mail I-129F to CSC

December 28, 2009 NOA1

January 22, 2010 Official proposal ;)

February 24, 2010 NOA2 e-mail received. Yay, we're approved!

March 3, 2010 NOA2 hard copy received

March 6, 2010 NVC received

March 18, 2010 Packet 3 received

March 18, 2010 Packet 3 sent

April 22, 2010 Medical

April 23, 2010 Packet 4 received

June 3, 2010 Interview APPROVED!!!

September 4, 2010 Wedding in USA

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

You absolutely need a lawyer. Everyone here, no matter how self educated, experienced, and well meaning, are not immigration lawyers. We can only tell you what has happened to us personally or to people we know. But don't ask, don't tell will not fly with immigration proceeding here. They will ask you everything you ever thought of someone asking you. You must have long standing proof of communication with each other and the story of how you met. So many things. But she can return to Honduras, even without a passport. If she buys a ticket, and isn't on any wanted lists for illegal activity (aside from her stay here in the US), they should let her leave. She will have to endure questioning at the airport and most likely issues when she arrives. But they should let her back in to her home country. My fiance was in France illegally, he was able to leave after some questioning from police at the airport in Paris and he had no real troubles. How do you feel about living in Honduras?

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

You absolutely need a lawyer. Everyone here, no matter how self educated, experienced, and well meaning, are not immigration lawyers. We can only tell you what has happened to us personally or to people we know. But don't ask, don't tell will not fly with immigration proceeding here. They will ask you everything you ever thought of someone asking you. You must have long standing proof of communication with each other and the story of how you met. So many things. But she can return to Honduras, even without a passport. If she buys a ticket, and isn't on any wanted lists for illegal activity (aside from her stay here in the US), they should let her leave. She will have to endure questioning at the airport and most likely issues when she arrives. But they should let her back in to her home country. My fiance was in France illegally, he was able to leave after some questioning from police at the airport in Paris and he had no real troubles. How do you feel about living in Honduras?

Just what are YOUR qualifications to make assertions about the extent of the knowledge others have? Please speak for yourself and your own abilities, not those of others about which you know nothing.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

Just what are YOUR qualifications to make assertions about the extent of the knowledge others have? Please speak for yourself and your own abilities, not those of others about which you know nothing.

Are you an immigration attorney? If not then, what's your point?

My qualifications are that, just like you and all the people here... I have no qualifications as an immigration attorney and therefore I, just like you Mr. Smartypants, can't legal advise this poor guy in what he should do. We can only tell him what we've experience or what we've been told. Just like I said. So why don't YOU think before attacking me. I never said other people were wrong just that they aren't qualified to give legal advice. And I'm RIGHT!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

error

Edited by Penguin_ie

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Timeline

My qualifications are that, just like you and all the people here... I have no qualifications as an immigration attorney and therefore I, just like you Mr. Smartypants, can't legal advise this poor guy in what he should do. We can only tell him what we've experience or what we've been told. Just like I said. So why don't YOU think before attacking me. I never said other people were wrong just that they aren't qualified to give legal advice. And I'm RIGHT!

Some of us know about things because we've studied them. When others make assertions as if they know, it's best not to presume they don't know what they're talking about. If somebody appears to know something you don't know, there's a pretty good chance they actually DO know something you don't know.

If you read here for a while you'll see all kinds of incorrect advise given by immigration attorneys getting corrected by members here who "know" but aren't attorneys. Nobody has a corner on knowledge, regardless of the subject matter.

While only an attorney can give "legal advice", that term was not in your original assertion.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

Some of us know about things because we've studied them. When others make assertions as if they know, it's best not to presume they don't know what they're talking about. If somebody appears to know something you don't know, there's a pretty good chance they actually DO know something you don't know.

If you read here for a while you'll see all kinds of incorrect advise given by immigration attorneys getting corrected by members here who "know" but aren't attorneys. Nobody has a corner on knowledge, regardless of the subject matter.

While only an attorney can give "legal advice", that term was not in your original assertion.

Neither was there anything in my original post that indicated that people here didn't know anything. Don't be so sensitive. Geez!

I have read plenty here, both from members who seem to know something and members who don't. I've seen HORRIBLE advice given. I don't think that advising this guy to get legal counsel is really something for you to attack me on. That was my point. And I have been here for a while. ANd I've seen more mean and disrespectful posts... like yours to me... than I have nice ones with people actually trying to be helpful. That's my visajourney.com experience and I've talked to a lot of people here that agree. If not for the timeline feature, I'd have stopped coming here a long time ago. You can study up on something and misinterpret it's meaning very easily. And I'm sorry but at your interview, "Well, someone told me on VJ that this was correct", isn't going to help you. Anyway, I won't be responding to you anymore because you being a know it all and me letting your pettiness get to me isn't helping this guy. Good luck guy. This is what you have to look forward to here.

Edited by Mandy P

Timeline

Neither was there anything in my original post that indicated that people here didn't know anything. Don't be so sensitive. Geez!

I have read plenty here, both from members who seem to know something and members who don't. I've seen HORRIBLE advice given. I don't think that advising this guy to get legal counsel is really something for you to attack me on. That was my point. And I have been here for a while. ANd I've seen more mean and disrespectful posts... like yours to me... than I have nice ones with people actually trying to be helpful. That's my visajourney.com experience and I've talked to a lot of people here that agree. If not for the timeline feature, I'd have stopped coming here a long time ago. You can study up on something and misinterpret it's meaning very easily. And I'm sorry but at your interview, "Well, someone told me on VJ that this was correct", isn't going to help you. Anyway, I won't be responding to you anymore because you being a know it all and me letting your pettiness get to me isn't helping this guy. Good luck guy. This is what you have to look forward to here.

I'm not attacking you at all and certainly not for advising the OP to seek legal counsel. I'm taking exception to this assertion and this assertion only and primarily with your use of the words "we" and "us".

We can only tell you what has happened to us personally or to people we know.

You know YOUR qualifications and limitations, not those of the rest of the members.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Hondurans benefit from TPS

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

I'm not attacking you at all and certainly not for advising the OP to seek legal counsel. I'm taking exception to this assertion and this assertion only and primarily with your use of the words "we" and "us".

You know YOUR qualifications and limitations, not those of the rest of the members.

You know what... I'm deleting my response because it doesn't matter.

To the person who started this thread I'm sorry that this is all on your thread. I wish you luck and PLEASE, don't listen to advice from anyone that isn't qualified legal councel.

Edited by Mandy P

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Anyone who knows and understands the law is qualified to give legal advice. Someone who passes the bar exam is not necessarily competent to give legal advice, any more than someone who passes the GED is competent to teach High School. There are sufficient horror stories on this site alone regarding attorneys who have given horrendously bad advice. If it were not for attorneys such as those, this site would be unnecessary. Much of the advice the OP has been given in this thread is correct, and reflects the law, regardless of whether it was given by licensed attorneys...

...with the possible exception of...

Everyone here, no matter how self educated, experienced, and well meaning, are not immigration lawyers.

You realize that many attorneys are also self educated, yes? The only difference between them and someone else who has studied the law is that the attorney passed a test and joined a club. Oh, and they also charge upwards of $100 per hour for their counsel.

No, we can also tell them what the LAW says. The law isn't a deep dark secret kept from the inquisitive eyes of mere mortals who don't belong to the Bar Association. It's posted on the internet for everyone to see and read. And, since the law is subject to interpretation, any advice anyone gives, including attorneys, is an opinion. However, an opinion based on an understanding of the law is far more credible than an opinion based on personal experience.

But don't ask, don't tell will not fly with immigration proceeding here. They will ask you everything you ever thought of someone asking you. You must have long standing proof of communication with each other and the story of how you met. So many things.

Is your opinion based on personal experience, or an understanding of the law?

But she can return to Honduras, even without a passport. If she buys a ticket, and isn't on any wanted lists for illegal activity (aside from her stay here in the US), they should let her leave. She will have to endure questioning at the airport and most likely issues when she arrives. But they should let her back in to her home country. My fiance was in France illegally, he was able to leave after some questioning from police at the airport in Paris and he had no real troubles. How do you feel about living in Honduras?

Ok, so this is obviously based on personal experience. How does someone's experience with immigration authorities in France apply to their experience in any other country? Is immigration and customs law universal? Did you know that, in many countries, the carrier (i.e., the airline) is responsible for providing return passage back to the country of departure if the traveler is refused admission, and that airlines frequently demand proof that a traveler will be admitted before they'll issue a boarding pass? What would happen if someone were illegally present in country 'A', and the airline allowed them to board a plane to country 'B' without proof they would be admitted on arrival? Odds are that the traveler would be refused admission to country 'B', and the airline would be obligated to take the traveler back to country 'A'. However, the traveler wasn't present in country 'A' legally, so they will also be refused readmission there. Now the traveler is in limbo, and the airline is stuck trying to find some country that will accept them.

The OP was given good advice. His fiancee needs to contact the consulate of her country and get a passport or travel permit to ensure she won't be turned away when she arrives.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Timeline

Anyone who knows and understands the law is qualified to give legal advice. Someone who passes the bar exam is not necessarily competent to give legal advice, any more than someone who passes the GED is competent to teach High School. There are sufficient horror stories on this site alone regarding attorneys who have given horrendously bad advice. If it were not for attorneys such as those, this site would be unnecessary. Much of the advice the OP has been given in this thread is correct, and reflects the law, regardless of whether it was given by licensed attorneys...

...with the possible exception of...

Actually, no one who is without a law degree and who is licensed and has passed the board exam is qualified to give legal advice. Anything said by someone else is speculation.

You realize that many attorneys are also self educated, yes? The only difference between them and someone else who has studied the law is that the attorney passed a test and joined a club. Oh, and they also charge upwards of $100 per hour for their counsel.

You do realize that an attorney must attend LAW SCHOOL and pass the bar exam. They are not SELF TAUGHT. Anyone practicing law by being self taught is not a lawyer.

No, we can also tell them what the LAW says. The law isn't a deep dark secret kept from the inquisitive eyes of mere mortals who don't belong to the Bar Association. It's posted on the internet for everyone to see and read. And, since the law is subject to interpretation, any advice anyone gives, including attorneys, is an opinion. However, an opinion based on an understanding of the law is far more credible than an opinion based on personal experience.

You can tell them your interpretation of what the law says. Yes, you can directly quote statutes but anything you say beyond that is speculation.

Is your opinion based on personal experience, or an understanding of the law?

Yes, it's based on personal experience which should be obvious from reading what I said.

Ok, so this is obviously based on personal experience. How does someone's experience with immigration authorities in France apply to their experience in any other country? Is immigration and customs law universal? Did you know that, in many countries, the carrier (i.e., the airline) is responsible for providing return passage back to the country of departure if the traveler is refused admission, and that airlines frequently demand proof that a traveler will be admitted before they'll issue a boarding pass? What would happen if someone were illegally present in country 'A', and the airline allowed them to board a plane to country 'B' without proof they would be admitted on arrival? Odds are that the traveler would be refused admission to country 'B', and the airline would be obligated to take the traveler back to country 'A'. However, the traveler wasn't present in country 'A' legally, so they will also be refused readmission there. Now the traveler is in limbo, and the airline is stuck trying to find some country that will accept them.

The OP was given good advice. His fiancee needs to contact the consulate of her country and get a passport or travel permit to ensure she won't be turned away when she arrives.

Everything I've said has said it's personal experience. I believe I said that my fiance experience was our experience. I never said that it applied to everyone. I used words like should never said this is what will happen to you. Good God! You people are ridiculous.

Hondurans benefit from TPS

As far as the OP's problem goes, this is the most beneficial information in the entire thread.

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

Timeline

As far as the OP's problem goes, this is the most beneficial information in the entire thread.

Note: Temporary Protected Status does not apply to Hondurans who entered the United States after Dec. 30, 1998.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.