bibi.macc

VAWA on my own

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello

I would really appreciate help from anyone filing I360 on their own. I can not afford an attorney so i will be filing solo. here is a little back ground on me.

January 1989 I was brought into the united states without inspection by my parents at the age of 1. I have never been arested never did anything illigal besides work without authorization with my own name and social that is not valid for employment.

October 2000 i started dating my husband that is a us citizen. we had a very normal relationship

febuary 2007 me and my husband moved in together and things started going down hill alot of emotional phycological abuse physical as well but no proof i was afraid to call the police because they work with ICE in the county we lived. he also wouldn't let me see my family and friends when i wanted and would not let me drive or work or have a phone if anyone called his phone he would say i wasn't able to talk. and when i did babysit to get a little money he would take it away. sometimes he would leave me in our apartment with no food money or phone for days.

May 2008 i found out i was pregnant

Feb 2009 we married and moved away from my family and things got even worse

march 2009 my daughter was born he did hurt her once when she was 1 month old but no evidence

sept 2009 I GOT OUT moved from georgia to miami FL to get away

now he is thretening to deport me and take my daughter because i can not support her because i can not work and he is trying to bribe me to got back to him he says if will finally file for my paperwork

because we were together for 9 years i wouldn't have any problem showing any kind of proof to validate the marriage but the only thing i have to proof the abuse is testemony from friends and family also he hurt my daughter when she was 1 month old and i called the hope center but didn't really specify anything just that he had anger issuse they gave me a number to a marriage counseler and anger management classes he made an appointment to go to angermanagement but ended up not going

i would not have any problem getting statements from friends to verify the psychological and emotional abuse. Is that enough

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

A couple of problems I see although this is not my forte. First is that you EWI which normally means you are not able to adjust status from within the US. Second I think VAWA is only for persons who already have a green card and from your post it sounds like you never received or even applied for one.

Filed: Country:
Timeline

VAWA is not for persons who already have a Greencard, it is a path to a Greencard for victims of domestic abuse and/or human trafficking.

The biggest problem I see here is the EWI.

Other problems (which only really become problems if she has to leave the US: Years of illegal presence as an adult & illegal working.

You really need a lawyer. Catholic Charities and many battered woman's organizations can help you get free lawyers.

Your first step is to determine if you can overcome the EWI. Do you know how your family entered the US?

Filed: Timeline

Thanyou yeah my father had a greencard but i was brought here by my mom without inspection and now my father is no longer in the US he never renewed his greencard. so would i be ok with the evidence of abuse that i have. but the weird thing that i dont understand is that i have a social security card it says it is not valid for employment but when i did work i paid taxes under that number. Would that help me any

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.