carvin317

travel to canada

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey everyone my wife and i are trying to travel to canada on the 4th of July. Her passport expires June 6th. Here in Atlanta we can not find anyone to take pictures that wont be rejected. We have sent 4 sets from four different photographers. Costco, Wolfe Camera, Professional downtown, and a place that specilizes in the passport photos for all countries were all denied. Can she travel into Canada with an expired passport and her green card? Then stay in Canada until her new passport comes in since we can get photos there ?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

This isn't an exact answer to your question, but if she has a Nexus pass, she can cross the border without a passport.

Met: December 2009

Married: April 2015

Received CR-1 visa: February 2017

POE (as IR-1): April 2017

Oath ceremony: November 2020

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

How are you travelling?

I ask because the Green card should be sufficient, however some airlines will not let you travel without a passport. If you are crossing at a land border, it shouldn't be a problem. Enter Canada with her Canadian birth certificate and a driver's license, enter the U.S. with the Green Card.

CBP - Travel info:

U.S. Lawful Permanent Residents: Document requirements for Lawful Permanent Residents will not change under WHTI. U.S. Lawful Permanent Residents can continue to use their permanent resident card (Form I-551) or other valid evidence of permanent residence status.

Canada Border Services:

Required Identification

Canadians Returning Home

Make sure you carry proper identification for yourself and any children travelling with you to assist in confirming your legal right to enter Canada.

The Government of Canada recommends that Canadian citizens travel with a valid Canadian passport because it is the only reliable and universally accepted travel and identification document available to Canadians for the purpose of international travel.

International transportation companies such as airlines may require travellers to present a passport. Therefore, Canadian citizens may face delays or may not be allowed to board the plane or other conveyance if they present other documents such as those noted below.

•Enhanced Driver's License (EDL)/Enhanced Identification Card (EIC)

•NEXUS card (used where the program is available)

•Free and Secure Trade (FAST) card used in FAST lanes

•Canadian citizenship card

•Certificate of Indian Status

Birth certificate in combination with either a driver's licence or a government-issued photo identification

Edited by trailmix

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

I believe your wife will be able to re-enter Canada on an expired passport.

I do not believe it is possible to exit Canada unless the passport is renewed. However, even in the off-chance that it is possible, it is wise to take advantage of being in the country since one can drop off the application form in person. 2 weeks processing if dropped off as opposed to 4 weeks if sent in by mail are the estimations provided by Passport Canada.

If I am incorrect, I am certain someone will correct me - I do apologize ahead of time if I am wrong.

I sympathize with you and your wife on the frustrations of having acceptable passport photos taken. Hopefully this weekend, I will be taking my third set of passport-style photographs. The first set taken were far too bright (Rite Aid pharmacy chain). The second set (at Sears) have a bit of a shadow around the neck area. The third set I will be taking will once again be done at Sears because unfortunately, there are no other stores/photographers nearby. By contrast, the first set of pictures taken for my original passport were done at a Walmart portrait studio in Canada and they were perfectly fine.

Sears portrait studio uses software for lining up and sizing passport-style photos; they have a software setting for Canadian requirements and US requirements. Hopefully, this information might be useful for anyone in a similar situation.

Might I ask, what were the issues your wife's pictures were facing? It is amazing that pictures come out incorrectly when Passport Canada has a very clear sheet of paper outlining specific requirements in layman's terms. :bonk:

Timeline

As noted by Trailmix, if you're entering by land back into the US... your greencard is sufficient. I have yet to be asked for my Canadian passport by a US bordeguard since I received my GC.

If if you renew while up there, we had a recent thread where the person did it in person in Canada and received their old exipred passport back immediately with the corner cut off (to invalidate it). You'll have a receipt from Passport canada for teh renewal fee as well.

Hopefully you're travelling by land, would be easier I think

I do not believe it is possible to exit Canada unless the passport is renewed. However, even in the off-chance that it is possible, it is wise to take advantage of being in the country since one can drop off the application form in person. 2 weeks processing if dropped off as opposed to 4 weeks if sent in by mail are the estimations provided by Passport Canada.

As I noted above...the US border guard rarely asks for the Cdn passport...they're more interested in their id, which is the GC

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Does she have her birth certificate and photo id? I ask because technically, you don't need a passport to get into Canada. Link (Go to the Identification section). You WILL need a passport to get back into the US.

However, check with the airline first - depending on the airline, they may require a passport to even board the plane.

Post on Adjudicators's Field Manual re: AOS and Intent: My link
Wedding Date: 06/14/2009
POE at Pearson Airport - for a visit, did not intend to stay - 10/09/2009
Found VisaJourney and created an account - 10/19/2009

I-130 (approved as part of the CR-1 process):
Sent 10/01/2009
NOA1 10/07/2009
NOA2 02/10/2010

AOS:
NOA 05/14/2010
Interview - approved! 07/29/10 need to send in completed I-693 (doctor missed answering a couple of questions) - sent back same day
Green card received 08/20/10

ROC:
Sent 06/01/2012
Approved 02/27/2013

Green card received 05/08/2013

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Insight is appreciated, thank you guys. :) Seems in the time I started typing, several better answers were given. :)

As I noted above...the US border guard rarely asks for the Cdn passport...they're more interested in their id, which is the GC

Gotcha. :) Thank you.

Timeline

I came back in the past to the USA from Canada and handed over just my GREENCARD and the grumpy POE dude asked for my Passport as well! So as they say --Its all up to the POE officer!! lol

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

i looked into it and it takes longer for us to get the nexus pass then the passport unfortunately :(

Really? I just got a Nexus card and it only took a few weeks. They approve the applications in less than a month and then you can go ASAP for the interview. Not sure how long passports take these days, I've never had to renew mine yet.

Met: December 2009

Married: April 2015

Received CR-1 visa: February 2017

POE (as IR-1): April 2017

Oath ceremony: November 2020

Timeline

I came back in the past to the USA from Canada and handed over just my GREENCARD and the grumpy POE dude asked for my Passport as well! So as they say --Its all up to the POE officer!! lol

Damn them...I mean I Love them

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Timeline

For what it is worth, I was able to get appropriate passport photos taken at Wolfe's camera in Stockbridge. What they need to do is use the regular setting without flash for their camera set up, Then on their Kodak machine they turn the image sideways and I believe adjust the size by one. That will get the correct head size. They then need to cut the photographs to proper size by hand. Bring a ruler with you along with a print out of the instructions. I had them do my last passport photos and they were accepted by Passport Canada without a problem. It took 2 or 3 tries before they got them right, though.

There are some places that do have a setting on their printer that allows them to set the passport requirements as per country and Canada is one of the options. I don't know if Wolfe Cameras in your area have that option or not but I have heard of others who have had them done that way.

You may also try contacting the Canadian Consulate in Atlanta and see if they have a list of photographers who are able to provide photographs that meet Canadian standards for passports. Of course - the easiest thing to do is to get them done while in Canada :yes:.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

Did you try the online renewal form for Canadian Passports???

http://www.pptc.gc.ca/cdn/ren.aspx

Also, for the pictures, could you not just go to Walmart photo center and have them take your photo on a white background and print them out so that the sizing would be the correct head size then just cut them out to the right size?

If you print out the page on the photos it tells you 'how' to take them, what distance etc.

Edited by FireKari

<3 FireRay's Wifey. <3

11-??-2005 : Met Ray in EverQuest2

USCIS
12-26-2009 : Marriage
1-07-2010 : Filed I-130
1-08-2010 : Package Recieved
1-12-2010 : NOA1
3-12-2010 : NOA2
*I-130 was approved in 59 days from NOA1 date.*

NVC
3-19-2010 : NVC Recieved. Case # Assigned
3-22-2010 : E-Mails Given to NVC Operator
3-25-2010 : Received DS-3032 and AOS Bill
3-25-2010 : Applied for EP/DS-3032 e-mailed
3-25-2010 : Pay AOS Bill Online
4-04-2010 : E-mailed I-864
4-08-2010 : EP Accepted/Paid IV Bill
4-12-2010 : E-mailed DS-230
4-16-2010 : All documents accepted at NVC
4-22-2010 : Log in Fail!!
*NVC stage completed in 34 days.*

7-21-2010 : Medical in Toronto
7-26-2010 : INTERVIEW - APPROVED!!
7-28-2010 : Visa received in the mail
8-18-2010 : POE - Ambassador Bridge
9-23-2010 : 2yr Green Card arrived
2-11-2011 : SSN arrived
8-18-2012 : Approx date of removal of conditions

06-2012 : Removal of conditions sent

03-18-12 : 10 year Green Card received!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.