khoamythovn

Interview timeline HCMC

31 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

A few important facts that might play decisive outcome of any Visa petition in VN:

Length of time (from the first acquaintance to first face-to-face meeting to eventually engagement and/or wedding ceremonies. All of these must fall in what's considered the cultural norms of the VNese). If you rush the time factor, you'll increase the likely hood of being denied. The CO will not buy the excuse "we fall in love at first sight.......so much that we have to get married in less than 6 months knowing each other)

Age difference between the two of you. Noone gonna believe an 18 year-old, who has never been married before, actually falls in love with a guy some 20 plus years older living half the world away, especially when the guy is barely making enough $$ to meet the "required" federal poverty line (and/or still lives with his parents)

Whether the beneficiary living in VN has ever been sponsored by someone else to come to the States and still waiting for her petition to be approved.

The most up-to-date timeline WILL be very likely asked for most "suspicious" cases (of course at the end of the interview), so the CO can analyze the "honesty" factors. They will verify and match her answers at the interview with what was on the submitted timeline(s). You can submit a timeline with your petition now, but that timeline will be out of date by the interview day anyway.

Edited by Dau Que

Just remember, life over there in VN is NOT real! Your money will be worth a LOT less once you get back over here. Back to reality, cowboy!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline

There is no reason to send a notarized letter from Aunt that she introduced you two. I also was introduced by my wifes Aunt and noted it briefly in the initial package for the I-129F and then left it at that. It is more important to show that a natural progression of the relationship after the initial introduction has happened. So far it seems you are doing this so God bless and good luck.

You both should put together the timeline for the primary purpose of helping to remember and organize events to help with the interview.

If they want a timeline after the interview, then they will request it. Agree that being Viet Kieu will help if Vietnamese is a common language. Also agree that you must have a good reason for Dam Hoi being small. Typically all family in Vietnam are invited to the Dam Hoi, even if they can't stand each other. Disagree about providing a lot of pictures of a small Dam Hoi because it will look like you are trying to get one past the CO. It's already been done. In future visit to Vietnam, you might want to take pictures a lot of pictures with both families.

Practice the interview with her. Make sure she's organized, prepared, calm, and have a nice but assertive personality to make her likable and also to make sure she puts the right evidence in the CO's hands during the interview.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Dam Hoi was small due to the fact it was done in my hometown. Her hometown is about 40 mins away and not everyone has transportation to go. Actually, her entire family was there, aunts, uncles, and their children. Most of my family members are in america. It was my family and a few family relatives from the countryside that attended. The Dam Hoi had about 50 people. I only put in 4 photos of the Dam Hoi in the I-129F. The image of the necklace and ring putting on with family members and elders. Also, 1 photo showing us going around 1 of the table with our drinks to give blessing with the elders. I sent her a copy of the I-129F which I scan into pdf form. We will practice the interview Q & A next month when she has more time in the summer. Also, go over the timeline in great detail.

Thanks for all the great advice from VJ members.

Dam Hoi was small due to the fact it was done in my hometown. Her hometown is about 40 mins away and not everyone has transportation to go. Actually, her entire family was there, aunts, uncles, and their children. Most of my family members are in america. It was my family and a few family relatives from the countryside that attended. The Dam Hoi had about 50 people. I only put in 4 photos of the Dam Hoi in the I-129F. The image of the necklace and ring putting on with family members and elders. Also, 1 photo showing us going around 1 of the table with our drinks to give blessing with the elders. I sent her a copy of the I-129F which I scan into pdf form. We will practice the interview Q & A next month when she has more time in the summer. Also, go over the timeline in great detail.

Sounds like enough family were present for Dam Hoi, and that you have reason for why some did not attend.

50 people for Dam Hoi isn't small, so at least 50-100 photos of Dam Hoi for interview should be good.

Need more pictures with her and with various members of family on different days. Make sure she knows exactly

what you wrote behind each of the photos submitted to USCIS, as well as everything else submitted to USCIS.

Letter from aunt doesn't seem like it adds any value, but letters from each other would be helpful.

Timeline

Other photos taken in Da Lat, My Tho, Ben Tre, and HCMC. Each one has us wearing different clothes and has different family members of hers and mines. On the photos I placed 2 photos on a sheet with description of names, location, event, date. The letters we write back and forth have birthday, New Year, Valentines Day, and Mother's Day. All this info is in the I-129F pdf I made and have emailed to her. All these photo evidence and documents are very specific when it comes to HCM consulate. I am still gathering ongoing relationship evidence such as money receipts, emails, chat logs, letters.

When should I be mailing and finishing collecting the ongoing relationship? The VJ guides suggest after NOA2. The NOA2 letter is one of requirement she will need also. I believe it is best to mail it all at once about 1 month before the interview to save money. If not it can be mailed 2 times. 1 after NOA2 and 1 more before the interview.

Will any documents after NOA2 will be needed before interview to submit to consulate? There is only information that all documents after NOA2 be present on the interview date.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I would keepcollecting until after the PKT 3.. at that point they will schedule the interview... you want to have as long a period of time documented as possible... you will likely have over amonth after the pkt 3 is sent... before the interview.. maybe 2months... Fed ex can get the docs there in a couple days... keepinmind they charge by weight.... if you have a friend going over during that time its always a good idea to try to get it hand delivered to your SO,... minimal risk of loss...

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, Im a Vietnamese. My fiance is an American originally. Im heading to get my interview in July 13th. i have a question: does my fiance need to send a timeline to US consulate here before my interview? I heard alot of people said about timeline. I told my fiance but he keeps thinking its unneccessary, its just for someone is trying to make fake visa and got blue slip from US consulate. He is American so thinks very diffirently. I tried to tell him sending a timeline to US consulate but he doesnt want coz our American lawyer said he has never heard about the timeline. So im very confused. What i should do? I made a timeline by myself and told my fiance fixing it for me. Didnt anyone have a timeline for K1 visa but still got pink? Please give me an advise. Thanks.

ANDREW - THU

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Thu,

Have your Fiance' as well as your Atty come on to VJ and do some reading.. It is common for HCMC to ask for a timeline of the relationship from the USC that is notarized... When a timeline is requested it is rarely accepted at the interview and the request is in the form of a blue 221g slip.. it is a form of a delay tactic for the consulate as well as a tool for them to look for additional info to hold against the couple. In the eyes of HCMC eveyone is a fraud relationship until we prove otherwise...

Do a search of the VN regional forum for the word timeline... there is at least 1 topic dedicated to this subject and likely will yield 100's of posts about timelines...

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

Why is the Dinh Hon done in your hometown? its suppose to be done at hers? you guys doing something new i dont know about?

41Ihm7.png

Timeline

My parents and my fiancee parents agreed to have the engagement ceremony at a restaurant in my hometown. The important thing is I had the engagement ceremony and submitted photos in my k1 submission. This is normal Vietnamese tradition before marriage. I think you should worry about other important preparation for interview. This minor detail should be the least of your problem. In the old days, this sort of thing would not happen as it would be too expensive.

My parents and my fiancee parents agreed to have the engagement ceremony at a restaurant in my hometown. The important thing is I had the engagement ceremony and submitted photos in my k1 submission. This is normal Vietnamese tradition before marriage. I think you should worry about other important preparation for interview. This minor detail should be the least of your problem. In the old days, this sort of thing would not happen as it would be too expensive.

I'm probably kicking more dead horses since it already happened.

I just want to be clear, A Normal Vietnamese tradition would have been done at her side of the family or more specifically her father's house if they don't live in the same household.

It should have never been done at a restaurant.

The reason why you're doing it at her home is for the fact that you have to pay respect to her ancestor and all her relatives. Thus that is the purpose of this Ceremony, to introduce you to her side of the family.

These minor detail are very important to the Vietnamese people, please don't take it likely

Dinh hon are usually small due to the facts only Immediate relatives and relatives are only invited and no one else.

small is a relative number, so if you have a large family than there would be a different story.

I base all these fact,on my personal experiences and the fact that my wife is Vietnamese and that she told me this is how is done for years. I don't argue with her because i still want to get nookie, and also she's more Vietnamese than any of us USC.

41Ihm7.png

I'm probably kicking more dead horses since it already happened.

I just want to be clear, A Normal Vietnamese tradition would have been done at her side of the family or more specifically her father's house if they don't live in the same household.

It should have never been done at a restaurant.

The reason why you're doing it at her home is for the fact that you have to pay respect to her ancestor and all her relatives. Thus that is the purpose of this Ceremony, to introduce you to her side of the family.

These minor detail are very important to the Vietnamese people, please don't take it likely

Dinh hon are usually small due to the facts only Immediate relatives and relatives are only invited and no one else.

small is a relative number, so if you have a large family than there would be a different story.

I base all these fact,on my personal experiences and the fact that my wife is Vietnamese and that she told me this is how is done for years. I don't argue with her because i still want to get nookie, and also she's more Vietnamese than any of us USC.

Not true. You are referring to the meeting between parents or representatives to discuss the Le Dinh Hon ceremony. During this meeting, the plans and preparations for the ceremony are discussed, including what the bride's side requires in terms of gifts and money. The actual ceremony can take place in a restaurant and can be big or small. Vietnamese people get confused about all this too, especially when trying to fit Vietnamese customs to cookie cutter questions like: When did you propose? When was the engagement ceremony? Some would consider the proposal to be when the two decide they want to marry, while others say the proposal is when parents meet, and still others insist proposal is done during the ceremony. Which would mean 3 possible, different dates to answer the same question. Likewise, some people consider the engagement ceremony to start when the two families meet and call the bigger event an "engagement party", while others say the engagement ceremony and party is the same thing. The best way around all the confusion is to specifically write or say what happen on which date for the timeline or interview. On X date, we discussed marriage among ourselves... On X date, our family met to plan and prepare for the Le Dinh Hon... On X date, the ceremony took place...

Not true. You are referring to the meeting between parents or representatives to discuss the Le Dinh Hon ceremony. During this meeting, the plans and preparations for the ceremony are discussed, including what the bride's side requires in terms of gifts and money. The actual ceremony can take place in a restaurant and can be big or small. Vietnamese people get confused about all this too, especially when trying to fit Vietnamese customs to cookie cutter questions like: When did you propose? When was the engagement ceremony? Some would consider the proposal to be when the two decide they want to marry, while others say the proposal is when parents meet, and still others insist proposal is done during the ceremony. Which would mean 3 possible, different dates to answer the same question. Likewise, some people consider the engagement ceremony to start when the two families meet and call the bigger event an "engagement party", while others say the engagement ceremony and party is the same thing. The best way around all the confusion is to specifically write or say what happen on which date for the timeline or interview. On X date, we discussed marriage among ourselves... On X date, our family met to plan and prepare for the Le Dinh Hon... On X date, the ceremony took place...

NO I am actually talking about the actual dinh hon ceremony, there is no if or buts, it has to be done at her house.

period

I've read your replied it seem like a bunch of rambling and nonsense.

People if you're planning a Dam hoi it must be at her parents house or this case the father's house.

41Ihm7.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.