SMARTSUD

URGENT HELP FOR ENQUIRY ON I864

8 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hello Guys,

Need assistance URGENTLY,my LPR wife in NY is going to be sending the I864 (Affidavit of Support form) to NVC,as she is required to attach the W2 forms for last 3 years along with I864.....here is the issue now.....while filing for tax in the past,by error she wrote her Status as SINGLE instead of being MARRIED in the form,NOW my Question is WILL THAT BE A PROBLEM WHEN SHE SENDS THE ATTCHED LAST 3 YEARS W2s with the I864???? i am really confused and scared,Suggestions are needed about this issue then how can it be rectified......my case is already approved and i have already paid the $70 & $400 fee.

Thanx

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline

W2 form - This form is only for how much her employer will deduct taxes from her salary.

The preferences on W2 has nothing to do with her status of married/single.

Most of the people will put single and when they file tax returns, they will get big check from IRS.

What is LPR?

Hello Guys,

Need assistance URGENTLY,my LPR wife in NY is going to be sending the I864 (Affidavit of Support form) to NVC,as she is required to attach the W2 forms for last 3 years along with I864.....here is the issue now.....while filing for tax in the past,by error she wrote her Status as SINGLE instead of being MARRIED in the form,NOW my Question is WILL THAT BE A PROBLEM WHEN SHE SENDS THE ATTCHED LAST 3 YEARS W2s with the I864???? i am really confused and scared,Suggestions are needed about this issue then how can it be rectified......my case is already approved and i have already paid the $70 & $400 fee.

Thanx

Edited by Deep2009

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

W2 form - This form is only for how much her employer will deduct taxes from her salary.

The preferences on W2 has nothing to do with her status of married/single.

Most of the people will put single and when they file tax returns, they will get big check from IRS.

What is LPR?

LPR-legal permannent resident, i am aware about what u wrote about people getting good amount from the irs,as she will be filing up the i864 which in return requires her to attach her last few years tax papers,ARE U SURE DEEP THAT IT WILL NOT AFFECT IT?

btw where u from in india? i am from bombay...

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Tax filing status is a non-issue but she may want to amend some old tax returns after your arrival.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

so its OK if she sends her W2s with her status in it as Single along with the I864?

Yes. The taxable marital status in the profile portion of her W2 reflects what filing status she wrote on the W4 form she filed with her employer. For the W4, there is no requirement that any of the information you enter reflect the actual selections you make when you actually file a tax return. The purpose of the W4 is to determine how much tax will be withheld from your pay. When you actually file a tax return, the difference between what was withheld during the year and the tax liability calculated on your tax return will determine if you owe the government money or if they owe you money, and how much.

Now, on the tax return itself (the 1040 form) you DO have to be eligible to claim the filing status and number of dependents that you claim. You can't claim "married" on the 1040 if you're not married, nor can you claim 16 dependents (for example) if you don't actually have that many dependents.

Deep2009's post is misleading, and it's also incorrect. Many people do select a different filing status and/or number of dependents on their W4 then they will actually claim on their tax return, but they DON'T do it to maximize their refund. Only an idiot would intentionally allow their employer to withhold a lot more money from their pay then they will actually end up owing to the IRS. The objective in manipulating the filing status and/or number of dependents on the W4 is to compensate for tax liabilities or deductions that the W4 doesn't directly provide a way to compensate for, with the intention of coming as close as possible to breaking even when you file your tax return. The IRS website even provides a calculator tool you can use to determine which filing status and number of dependents will result in the optimal amount of withholding, taking into account the actual deductions you will be claiming when it comes time to file your tax return.

If you get a big fat refund then you've essentially allowed the government to borrow your money without paying you any interest.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Thanx a ton jim for the info.....

So if i understand u correctly its ok for her to send HER I864 to the NVC along with her W2s where in her status is single?????

Yes, it's ok. The filing status shown on the W2 reflects the choice she made on a W4. Selecting "single" filing status on a W4 is not like actually claiming you are single. It's merely saying you want your tax withholding calculated using the rate tables for a single person.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.