NigeriaorBust

Happy Endings In Sub Sarahan

108 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

We get so many stories about relationships that go down the tubes usually with the scammer word tossed about I thought a topic about happy endings might balance the negative posts. Not that warning aren't a help to some. I just would like stories about relationships that are going well and things that seem to help.

Joseph and I are still more or less newly wed. He has an agemate and an uncle within 30 miles and he goes over once a week to eat with them. He has also started a garden, where he is growing corn,tomatoes,peppers,melons and cucumbers. We have scoured stores for books that he is studying along with the drivers ed manual. I expanded my cable choices to include the soccer channel. He attends services at a church about 2 miles from the house where one of the priests happen to be from the same tribe. I think the connection with home helps him. He likes going out and seeing things and is looking forward to traveling to North Carolina to meet my family next month.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

How about Happy Beginnings (are they ok too) :D

Doan has been here for just over 4 months now and things get better every day.

The flower garden is coming along beautifully and we continue to work on it together.

The vegetable garden was started yesterday.

My mom has helped to get her some new hobbies too (she knitted all winter), but now she is getting some ceramics and cleaning them to be fired and painted, then we will add the little critters to the flower garden.

I got an old fish tank from a coworker and we are cleaning it and getting it ready for fishy's hehe.

She battles the homesickness off and on (which is completely understandable) and I do everything I can to support her and try so share my strength with her. Most of all I just give her all my love everyday.

Doan loves to look at flowers and animals so we have been traveling around to nearby zoo's and places like flower gardens and arboretums. She loves to go to the green house too - have to drag her out each time haha.

We are so happy and are looking forward to sharing a long and wonderful life together (no ending - just more days of happy beginnings)!

6/15/2009 Filed I-129F

12/15/2009 Interview (HCMC, VN)

1/16/2010 POE Detroit

3/31/2010 MARRIED !!!

11/20/2010 Filed I-485

12/23/2010 Biometrics (Buffalo, NY)

12/31/2010 I-485 Transfered to CSC

2/4/2011 Green Card received

1/7/2013 Mailed I-751 package

1/14/2013 I-751 NOA (VSC)

2/07/2013 Biometrics (Buffalo, NY)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

This is really sweet. I look forward to sharing my "happy beginning" when my husband finally gets here. I'm going to watch this topic and hopefully see a lot more responses!

Road to Citizenship

04/23/2014 - N-400 Package Sent

04/25/2014 - N-400 Package Delivered

04/30/2014 - Received electronic notification

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Gambia
Timeline

Well they're not on VJ but my cousin has been married to my future hubby's oldest brother for the past 8 years. They have two beautiful little boys who are learning a wonderful mix of Edo (future hubby & cousin in law are from Benin City, Nigeria), Spanish and English. They'll be some of the smartest young men on the block. LOL

There are definitely ups and downs, but they're holding strong. I see what happens in their marriage and take what I can to learn from it in order to apply it to mine when it comes about.

tumblr_l2zffoq44C1qc5x0yo1_400.jpg

My honey is NIGERIAN and I'm AMERICAN

K1 Journey

07/27/10 Mailed Petition

07/28/10 Petition received at VSC then forwarded to Lewisville, TX (received there 7/29/10)

08/02/10 NOA1 Notice date

08/06/10 Touched

08/07/10 Received NOA1 in mail

08/10/10 Touched

10/03/10 Touched

01/31/11 I-129F Petition APPROVED!!!

02/03/11 Received hard copy of NOA2 (although the envelope is stamped Feb 2...so only one day to get to me :) )

02/07/11 Arrived at NVC

02/07/11 MADE APPOINTMENTS FOR MEDICAL AND INTERVIEW. (Will post actual dates after they occur :) )

02/08/11 Left NVC

02/17/11 Medical

03/01/11 Interview (FH is in AP)

04/12/11 AP COMPLETED!!

04/13/11 FH notified to come to the embassy with his passport!

04/26/11 FH received Visa

04/29/11 FH Arrived in the US!!! JFK POE

06/08/11 MARRIED!

Well we are on our happy beginning, enjoying each other. I know it takes time and years to really know someone, but i believe communication is such a important thing to have in any relationship. My boo has been here since April 5 and i still touch him at night lol. I'm a touchy feelly girl. He just lays there and let me rub his head and tickle his ear. We are adjusting to each other and at night we talk about our day even if we were looking in each others face all day. Before we married we agreed to talk any problem out be it good or bad. My boo watches soccer and i read or get on the computer. He is having a hard time not being able to work and being in the house all the time. My boo is a Muslim and we haven't found him a mosque close by the house yet but he prays in the closet(its a huge closet). Him and my girls are getting along better than i thought, it was a Lil bumpy at first, they were thinking i was giving him to much of my time, I had to step back and see it from their point of view and i realized i was just giving my boo so much of my time that my girls time had been cut back, Ive found a way to give everybody their time with me.(I'm special lol) Anyway i do have a hard time reigning in my temper, because for some reason if i get mad i wont talk to him and he cant stand that. I'm also learning to not say my or mine so much and to ask his input, which i didn't do when he first got here but i explained to him being in control for so many years its hard to let someone come in and help or even take control sometimes, but I'm doing it because if i want him to be the head of my household i have to let him lead. He has been a good man to me and I'm trying my best to be a even better woman to him. This part is only for the adults lol OK just kidding but i do love when that man caters to my body just the way i taught himdevil.gif , OK some of them really don't know how to please a women, so hey teach him and tell him its your body you know what feels right and what doesn't. OK i ramble a lot but the gist of my story is you will never and i mean never have a fairy tale ending but you can at least make your journey with you partner as civil and fun as possible. And remember if you put GOD first all things are possible even happy marriages.

https://youtu.be/rHQuMoJ3Xrk

Lifting Conditions

Date Filed : 2018-09-12
NOA Date : 2018-09-18

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ethiopia
Timeline

Glad to read all of the positive stories! My hubby and are coming up on our 3rd wedding anniversary. I can't believe how quickly time has gone by. Our first year was good, but stressful. He was adjusting to life in America and I was adjusting to a new city and grad school (We moved 2 months after he immigrated). It took a while for him to find a good, full-time job. And for a long time (2.5 years?!?!) I was stressed about cooking for him, he was so particular about ingredients and preparation, etc. This year he wanted to do a traditional 50 day Ethiopian Orthodox Christian fast for Easter- which meant vegan food only. He fasted regularly in Ethiopia, but never did before in the US since I had no idea how to prepare vegan food. Well, this year we fasted together for Easter (my fast became vegetarian due to the 3 lattes I had, lol). We picked new recipes together and it was actually fun. And now that fasting is over, I still cook many of the same things. And he's compromised a bit about his diet too... he'll eat beef or chicken as long as its organic, and he's been eating different types of fish (before he insisted on tilapia only). I can live with that...actually, I find it easier to cook and that our diet it more balanced and healthy.

We often look back at our lives since we have been married to see the things we have accomplished together. It's really amazing! This year we're visiting both of our families...we haven't seen them in 3 years. And he's applying for citizenship.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Senegal
Timeline

We are still a work in progress so I can't say we have a "happy ending" as yet. In my mind we are still "new" in the marriage game. My husband arrived in the US in January of '07. We've been married for a little over three years now. Our first year was very difficult and stressful for a number of reasons including his adjustment to the US, our adjustment to living together, his bouts of homesickness, work-related stress for me, etc. None of this came as a surprise because it just made sense that it would not be easy to integrate our lives with all of the outside factors that we were dealing with. Luckily we have always had great communication, so over time we were able to compromise and try to understand the other's perspective. We have a come a long way in our marriage and I have nothing else to attribute that to but the grace of God and a wonderful support system. So overall I would say that we are happy. I don't have any regrets about the marriage and even if it doesn't work for us in the end, I am still glad that I took the chance. I have learned a great deal about myself through his immigration here and our marriage, and I think I am a better person for it. Hopefully 5-10 years down the road, we are still a work in progress.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

every time i see this topic title, i think it's about something else. :blush:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

every time i see this topic title, i think it's about something else. :blush:

And every time you refer to us as subbies you have other thought also. You are our resident mimi perv

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

We will be married 2 years in August and as happy as we are, everyday is still a challenge. Like most couples we have our good days and our bad days but the good outweighs the bad. I have many friends that have gone through this journey and I can say that we learn from each other and support one another every step of the way.

Its hard to mix cultures and expectations, especially when the expectations are so out of this world :P but we handle them well. We have learned so much about ourselves and each other that I think we can avoid major conflicts better now that when we were first married. We know when to step away and say "OK, we need some alone time".

The best thing is that he has 2 brothers here along with lots of friends so we do a lot of get togethers which is always a blast. My sisters love him to death and have made him feel so much a part of the family.

Mama to 2 beautiful boys (August 2011 and January 2015)

Click for full timeline

Filed: Timeline

I like this topic and am happy to post in it. We are part of the happy 'beginnings' but with a rough and rocky few weeks in there. Kingsley arrived here on January 1st so he's been here just 5 months now. Each day we are finding out more about each other. Each day we are finding OUR footing and finding OUR way. People have said many times on here that the "visa journey" is not the hardest part, the hardest part starts once they get here, and it's so true. I thought "how can ANYTHING be as hard as this is ... being seperated from my husband for so long without an end date in sight?" ... and then he arrived. :)

I have 2 children from a previous relationship. Kingsley has never lived in the same house with children. I previously lived with my childrens father for more than 8 years. Kingsley has never lived with a woman. I've been the single mom running the show. He's been the bachelor running the show. To say that we have "butted heads" a few times would be an understatement. We have experienced all sorts of emotions during the few short months he's been here. Pure unadulterated joy, complete amazement (both good and bad), excitement, disappointment, confusion, bewilderment, frustration, silliness, love, love, love. There was a point, for about a month solid, that we weren't 'getting each other' at all and it was heart breaking for us both. I was seriously wondering if we had made the biggest mistake. GOD plans things out because we both 'hit our wall' at the exact same time and were able to bring down the walls and just talk it out. Had we hit our breaking points at different times, I'm pretty sure that this post would be quite a bit different and not under 'happy endings' as the topic!

I've never had to compromise so much in my entire life, and neither has my husband. At the end of the day, we get it figured out and we move on and we're happy that we're together. He gets homesick for the familiar. He's been job hunting (with no luck so far) day in and day out. HATES that he's at home while I'm going to work every day. His pride and his self worth has taken a big hit over the last 5 months. He's become addicted to television because there's nothing else for him to do. Since the weather has gotten nicer, he's been working in our yard which is FABULOUS because I don't love yard work and he's a bit particular about things being perfect so I told him that the yard is HIS DOMAIN .. have at it!

Marriage is a work in progress ... for the duration of the marriage. My parents just celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary last week and my mom said "Marriage is work. It was work from day one and it will be work until all is said and done. Just like your job, some days breeze by and it's hard to believe that you got paid to do that all day long. Other days seem endless, nothing goes right and you wish you could quit and find something else. But you don't because you LOVE what you do, you LOVE your job. It's a work in progess and it always will be. Enjoy to the fullest the days that are effortless. Let go of the days that are difficult, take whatever lesson you learned from it and let it go." I think she's pretty smart. :)

Marriage: April 3, 2009

Sent I-130: June 24, 2009

USCIS received I-130: June 26, 2009

NOA1: July 1, 2009

I-130 approved: September 10, 2009

~ NVC JOURNEY ~

NVC received: September 24, 2009

NVC Case number assigned: September 24, 2009

Received I-864 bill/DS-3032: September 28, 2009

Paid I-864 / emailed DS-3032: September 29, 2009

I-864 Shows PAID: September 30, 2009

Receive AOS package: October 1, 2009

Returned AOS package: October 2, 2009

Still waiting for DS-3032 acceptance notification email!!!!!!! AAARRRGGGHHH!

FINALLY DS-3032 accepted and IV BILL invoiced: October 20, 2009

IV BILL PAID: October 20, 2009 (In Process on website)

IV BILL shows PAID: October 22, 2009

Sent DS-230 overnight Express to NVC: October 26, 2009

DS-230 delivered to NVC: October 27, 2009 10:04AM

Officially under review: October 30, 2009

MEDICAL EXAM COMPLETE: November 4, 2009 - Clean bill of health!!!!!!!!!

Sign in Failed: November 9th, 2009 ~ GOD IS GOOD

CASE COMPLETE: November 10, 2009

Received Interview Appointment letter: November 13, 2009

INTERVIEW DATE: DECEMBER 8, 2009 - APPROVED!

Picking up visa: December 24, 2009

POE: JFK December 31st

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

We are just getting started in America, but wanted to contribute to this thread :) I think what has been most helpful for us is the fact that I lived in Kenya, both on my own and with him. While I'm sure my "homesickness" for Kenya is nothing like his I still have many days when I would love to still be there in the little town we lived in, teaching my classes & sneaking off to visit him :) So I can understand to some extent what he's going through.

I think the hardest thing for now is that we are still waiting for AOS - he can't work yet, and he's getting bored. He's been volunteering but he REALLY wants to work, and I don't blame him!

We lived apart for 2 years and now we are just happy to be living on the same continent again :) I still look over at him most days (he's been here right at 3 months) and say "I can't believe you're here!" Just happy to wake up next to him every morning and go to sleep next to him every night.

Anyway, I'm glad to see this thread & hear from some other happy Sub-Saharan couples :)

Edited by katie & sifa

K-1
09/09/09 - NOA1 :: 10/20/09 - NOA2 :: 01/11/10 - Interview :: 02/24/10 - POE :: 04/10/10 - Wedding

AOS
05/17/10 - NOA :: 06/08/10 - Transferred to CSC :: 07/02/10 - Biometrics :: 07/16/10 - EAD/AP Approved :: 10/26/10 - AOS Approved

ROC
08/16/12 - NOA :: 09/13/12 - Biometrics :: 04/12/13 - Approved :: 04/19/13 - GC received

Naturalization
08/22/13 - NOA :: 09/20/13 - Biometrics :: 01/30/14 - Interview - Approved :: 02/27/14 - Oath

Timeline

Woohoo! :dance:

We're at 2 weeks and 2 days, so we qualify for 'happy beginnings'/'honeymooner's award if anything. We're both still a little surprised to see each other every morning and just dwell in each other's presence :blush:

He has his SS card and is working on getting the driver's license... gulp!

Please keep us in your prayers Sub-Saharan family.

Edited by Pman's Wife

NVC:

2009-09-11 - NVC received.

2009-12-17 - Case complete e-mail message, sign in failed on website and AVR... YAY!

2009-12-17 - Waiting for an appointment assignment...

2009-12-29 - Interview assigned: February 11, 2010!

2010-01-06 - Case forwarded to consulate.

Consulate:

2010-01-12 - Medical exam part 1 of 2 complete.

2010-01-26 - Medical exam part 2 of 2 complete. Ouchie!

2010-02-11 - Interview results: Administrative Processing 221(g) :-(

2010-04-27 - 2nd interview results: Approved :-)

2010-05-04 - Visa in hand!

2010-05-08 - POE

Timeline

We are just getting started in America, but wanted to contribute to this thread :) I think what has been most helpful for us is the fact that I lived in Kenya, both on my own and with him. While I'm sure my "homesickness" for Kenya is nothing like his I still have many days when I would love to still be there in the little town we lived in, teaching my classes & sneaking off to visit him :) So I can understand to some extent what he's going through.

I think the hardest thing for now is that we are still waiting for AOS - he can't work yet, and he's getting bored. He's been volunteering but he REALLY wants to work, and I don't blame him!

We lived apart for 2 years and now we are just happy to be living on the same continent again :) I still look over at him most days (he's been here right at 3 months) and say "I can't believe you're here!" Just happy to wake up next to him every morning and go to sleep next to him every night.

Anyway, I'm glad to see this thread & hear from some other happy Sub-Saharan couples :)

That is so sweet. I know what you mean about living in the same country and getting to see each other. I can't wait to not have to worry about the time difference again!

Woohoo! :dance:

We're at 2 weeks and 2 days, so we qualify for 'happy beginnings'/'honeymooner's award if anything. We're both still a little surprised to see each other every morning and just dwell in each other's presence :blush:

He has his SS card and is working on getting the driver's license... gulp!

Please keep us in your prayers Sub-Saharan family.

Awww, congrats. I had been reading your previous posts and saw that he should have been in the country a few weeks now and wanted to know how things were going. Its good to hear.

Road to Citizenship

04/23/2014 - N-400 Package Sent

04/25/2014 - N-400 Package Delivered

04/30/2014 - Received electronic notification

Timeline

Thanks Cheyemo!

Here's more info: Pman is like a kid in a candy shop here. It was a little chilly for him at first, but those days are over. It's now a Hotlanta summer like no other :thumbs:

He's used to being on the go and is trying to adjust to this slower pace. The minute he stops moving or I go to work, he falls asleep. Sigh... I love my little Netflix addict. :luv:

NVC:

2009-09-11 - NVC received.

2009-12-17 - Case complete e-mail message, sign in failed on website and AVR... YAY!

2009-12-17 - Waiting for an appointment assignment...

2009-12-29 - Interview assigned: February 11, 2010!

2010-01-06 - Case forwarded to consulate.

Consulate:

2010-01-12 - Medical exam part 1 of 2 complete.

2010-01-26 - Medical exam part 2 of 2 complete. Ouchie!

2010-02-11 - Interview results: Administrative Processing 221(g) :-(

2010-04-27 - 2nd interview results: Approved :-)

2010-05-04 - Visa in hand!

2010-05-08 - POE

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.