carvin317

Passport Renewal Question

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

On the passport renewal form for canada it asks for "Documents that Support your ID"

Can I use my Wife Permanent Resident Card. It is the only card that has the correct new last name. If I am allowed to use that It says I can photocopy it. What other types of documents have you used to support your ID.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

That's what I plan to use to change my name on my Cdn renewal....I'll bring my marriage certificate as well. Does she have State id or her SSN? Those would just be extras

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

she does have a ssn but it says it must have bearer's name and signature and there is no signature on her ssn card or permanent resident card which is why im freaking out lol

I actually just applied for a new passport in my married name. My mom mailed in from Canada Post, and the lady who worked there took a look at it and said I did not have "enough identification" to prove my change of name. Turns out even though I was submitting my marriage license, SS card copy, PR card, my drivers license was still in my maiden name. I actually quickly changed my drivers license and submitted it that way.

These are the documents I submitted:

-passport (original)

-birth certificate (original)

-marriage license (copy)

-drivers license (married name, copy)

-SS card (married name, copy, blanked out first 5 numbers for safety purposes)

-health insurance card (married name, copy)

On all the copied documents, I had my "Guarantor" sign & date them.

Good luck!

***Removing Conditions***

Submitted I-751: March 4, 2011

Check cashed: March 10, 2011

NOA1: March 8, 2011

Biometrics Appt: April 21, 2011

Early Bio Walk-in: April 7, 2011

Approved: September 7, 2011

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi Carvin317

When I applied/renewed (in person at a Passport Canada office) for my Canadian passport in my married name last year (2009)...This is what I used, as identification (note: I showed them the original, and they gave it back to me a few minutes later, after they looked at it briefly)....

1) Canadian Citizenship Card (in maiden name, and was of me when I was a child, but still proves my Canadian citizenship...)

2) Former Expired Canadian Passport (in maiden name with married name notation)

3) US Marriage Certificate (in maiden name and married name)

4) US Green Card/Permanent Resident Card (in married name)

5) US NYS Driver's License (in married name)

And they had no problems with that....:thumbs:

Hope this helps too. Good luck on your wife's passport renewal and the rest of your immigation journey.

Ant

P.S. You can't use a SSN as ID...As...1) That is not on the list of identification documents they accept for Canadian passports 2) That card and that number on that card is supposed to be kept private and confidential (heck, it even says so on the card not to carry it with you). Keep that card in a safe place, instead!

And yes, do ask your wife to sign the front of her SSN card, as an SSN card is not valid without that signature....

On the passport renewal form for canada it asks for "Documents that Support your ID"

Can I use my Wife Permanent Resident Card. It is the only card that has the correct new last name. If I am allowed to use that It says I can photocopy it. What other types of documents have you used to support your ID.

she does have a ssn but it says it must have bearer's name and signature and there is no signature on her ssn card or permanent resident card which is why im freaking out lol

Edited by Ant+D+BabyA

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

1) Canadian Citizenship Card (in maiden name, and was of me when I was a child, but still proves my Canadian citizenship...)

2) Former Expired Canadian Passport (in maiden name with married name notation)3) US Marriage Certificate (in maiden name and married name)

4) US Green Card/Permanent Resident Card (in married name)

5) US NYS Driver's License (in married name)

How can you get the married name notation in the passport?

01/12/2011: GreenCard approved!!!!

Green card expiration date: 01/05/2013
Sent ROC package to VSC: 11/16/2012
NOA1: 11/20/2012

Approval: 04/29/2013!!!!

event.png

Filed: Other Timeline

How can you get the married name notation in the passport?

AandB-Unfortunately, Passport Canada does not do this anynore...:(.....

They did away with it in June 2007, and I did mine only a few weeks/months before they did away with it..lol..

Basically, it was an extra page that they put in the Canadian passport that said..

"The bearer's married surname is (insert married surname here)...", with a stamp and a seal on it...

It costs about $20 or so CDN to get that done...Which at the time was a bargain, instead of applying for a new passport at $100, if one still had some time left on their current passport....

And I had no problems travelling before, with that married name notation.....

I guess Passport Canada wanted the extra cash, and did away with that option....

So now they make all people apply for a new passport if they wanted it in their married name, and on top of that, they can't used the simplified process either.....:angry:

So that's what I had to do when my Canadian passport expired last year...Had to apply all over again....

Lol..and the funny thing about my situation is..I wouldn't have had to get a new Candian passport..if it wasn't for the USCIS and their delays.....(but that's another story...)....

I'm still debating whether or not I should renew my current Canadian passport, after it expires in 2014...

Oh well..I got a few years to mull about it....

It could be worse...the American passport...oh boy...that's even worse to get.....(that's another story...)

Nevertheless, good luck with renewing your Canadian passport and good luck with your immigration journey too.

Ant

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.