Udella&Wiz

Oh the irony of it all

18 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

any changes on this front?

Ha - well, funny you should ask. She is putting this somewhat on the back burner because she doesn't feel comfortable that she hasn't achieved something worthwhile like her GED and getting into college and with him being a little older he's already done it. I think she wasa little embarassed .

That's my girl...it sounds odd, but she's that kind of kid...doesn't like to look bad, has plenty of pride. She's still chatting with him, but is chilling a little more.

Edited by Udella&Wiz

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi Udella&Wiz,

What more can I say than...."Like mother like daughter"...:lol:...

Seriously though, it's good that your daughter met a friend online that she has been chatting with for quite awhile, and that she is open and honest in revealing that information to you......

What I would suggest, is that you as a parent:

1) Love her, no matter what....:)

2) It's good to keep the lines of communication open between you and her. The more open and honest you are with her, the more open and honest she is with you.

3) Talk to the person beforehand that she is going to meet. Get to know him, just like you would get to know anyone that she would meet in-person or otherwise.

4) It's great that she is internet-savy and knows her internet safety rules. Tell her to keep that up and be cautious too, when dealing with people online and with people offline. Understand too, that some people are honest online, and some people aren't....So make sure she knows the difference between who is to be trusted and not trusted out there....

5) Support, trust, and respect her, just like she does the same to you too.

6) Make sure she meets in a public location.

7) Being so young, perhaps you can go with her, and/or she can bring a friend or other person for those meetings.

8) Make sure this budding friendship/relationship doesn't get in the way of her other goals/dreams in life. Tell her to take it "a step at a time" and not to rush into things...

9) Trust your instincts as a parent. If it seems fishy, it probably is...

10) As a parent..Don't worry...It will all work out in the end.....

Lol..If it makes you feel any better....I was about your daughter's age (well, I was a bit younger, but close enough) when I met my friend/boyfriend/husband online and a few years after that met in-person. But unlike your daughter, I didn't have a good relationship with my parents (lol..and to this day, I still don't..), so I met him secretly on my own in a public place when I first met him in-person. Now my husband was the type that could be trusted, but yes, I did take a big risk there, in meeting him. Added to the fact that there was a big age difference between us (he is a lot older than me), didn't help the situation either. It was funny though when he was the one that said to me..."umm..do your parents know about this, since you're so young?.." And when my parents found out (since he insisted on meeting my parents)....Oh boy.....They wern't too happy about that....Nor were they too happy a few years later, when I crossed the border and eloped/got married without them knowing either....

Neverhtheless, I don't regret the risks and chances that I took with my husband...

And if I could do it all over again, I would, despite what anyone else thinks/says....

So that's my story in a nutshell...

Anyways, things worked out for the best for me, and it did for you too, in your situation, but it doesn't work out for the best for everyone. So be careful there....

Nevertheless, I hope things work out between your daughter and her new friend.

And may you and your daughter and you have a good relationship too.....

Hope this helps. Good luck to you and your daughter and her new friend.

Ant

It was bound to happen, one day my fine daughter would stumble upon a boy who was more thena little interesting. Some may remember she has been the cause of much heartache over the course of our immigration the last couple years (but we won't get into that for now)

So here's the thing - she met him playing World of Warcraft (check my sig...that's how mommy met stepdaddy :) ) So I'm fine with that....but I am still a mom and I can't get it out of my head that he's the craigslist killer.

They chatted for several months on WoW only before starting to MSN. She's been to his facebook, and I don;t think she was ready to give out her info yet just to be safe....and a couple days ago they had their first phone call. She is 18½ and he is 21. (a little bit of concern, but we'll see....) He seems like an ok guy. Doesn't appear to be bragging or making himself sound bigger/better then everyone else....as young guys tend to do. Works at a catering hall part time...thinking of enter the airforce blah blah blah. My daughter says he's been very respectful and has not turned the conversation towards sex or pressed for personal information ever. Mostly they've talked about goals (she is busy finishing her GED, wants to go to college) he has recently lost weight and is trying to figure out what to do with his life....

Anyhoo - not sure why I'm writing this here...but hey many of us have met online .....anyone have good safety tips I haven't thought of? At this point, there hasn't been discussion about meeting or anything more. She certainly wouldn;t have the means or knowledge to travel....he's in NYC we're in Northern VA.

It's scary being a parent....I should say she is extremely internet & computer savvy and knows all the stories on the news and is very good at keeping her information private.

Edited by Ant+D+BabyA

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.