nathanp

going to the philippines.a few questions

91 posts in this topic

Hi there,

Your first trip will be very interesting and very Eye opening. You should get some insight to what you will really expect with her and her family. This website listed below is a very good reference to everything from Philippines culture to what you should expect when you plan your wedding and Marry her. INCLUDING BUDGET. I read this over and over and then also paid the gentleman for the PDF. It is well worth the effort to also bring a copy to your fiance. Most information is accurate and will help you to avoid simple mistakes. Remember, even though the Philippines is Americanized, it is NOT the same culture.

http://www.filipinawives.com/

Good luck to you.

Arrival and POE Detroit 6/9/2010

Passport with VISA received on 6/5/2010

APPROVED 6/2/2010 WOOHOOOOO!!!!

Called Embassy and Changed interview to 6/2/2010

Interview scheduled 6/11/2010

Case Completed NVC 5/11/2010

Completed Medical EARLY with no issues. 4/20/2010

Sent I-864 and DS230 3/20/2010

NOA2 2/22/2010

NOA1 CSC Dated 11/05/2009

I-130 Sent 10/29/2009

Wedding 10/19/2009

Visits October 2009, July 2008, April/May 2007

Met 12/16/2006

Best to take a few crisp "benjies" and use credit cards for the rest.

NOT good if her mom and dad are against the relationship. Especially in the Butuan area. Lots of sharp bolos there :blush:

Consider a K1 instead of marriage.

Dakine is right... they have lots of sharp bolos. So, be careful and be nice to your gf's parents! Would be nice if you'll win her parents hearts. :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Since this is your first time to meet her I suggest you go Philippines a week ahead of when she thinks you are to arrive. Avoid Manila, either go to Cebu or Davao (Davao is my favorite). Spend some time there meeting other girls and chatting with them, You could be short changing yourself by going over there with one woman to see.

There are millions of beautiful and friendly single ladies in Philippines, the World is your oyster there. Enjoy it and meet others before picking one girl, you will be like a kid in candy store in the Philippines.

My advice to anyone wanting to meet a good girl in Philipines. Do not meet a girl online, hop on a plane and to Cebu or Davao and spend time there and you will meet all the beautiful girls you want.

Enjoy your trip.......

youregonnalovemynutsf.jpg

"He always start the fire here in VJ thread and I believe all people will agree with me about it"

Filed: Country:
Timeline

Nathanp. It was already suggested but are you sure a K1 visa might not be a better alternative for you?

If you have to go to Bayugan that is like a two hour bus ride from Butuan. I was not brave enough to venture to far from Butuan.

The number 1 reason K-1 is not a good choice for him: He needs a co-sponsor, CR-1 puts AOS at NVC not the USEM.

"""There are millions of beautiful and friendly single ladies in Philippines, the World is your oyster there. Enjoy it and meet others before picking one girl, you will be like a kid in candy store in the Philippines."""

Yup like a kid in a candy store, but in his case wouldn't that be a little like torture, as he will be bringing very little money,so he will mostly lickly only be able to do some window shopping :lol::lol:

Edited by Ann Marie and Leo

Marriage :2009-12-31

I-485-AOS/EAD/AP Sent: 2010-01-12

I-485 RFE response received by USCIS : 2010-02-010

EAD/AP Approved Date: 2010-03-11

AP Received Date: 2010-03-16

EAD Received Date 2010-03-19

AOS Interview Appointment 2010-05-10

Green Card approved 2010-05-10

Email received Card Production ordered 2010-05-13

Green Card received 2010-06-08

Oh I guess that makes sense, Bob 4 Anna. Thanks.

April 24, 2010: Married in Butuan City
May 23, 2010: Submitted I-130
May 28, 2010: NOA-1 Received
October 19, 2010: NOA-2 Received
October 26, 2010: Case Number Assigned
October 28, 2010: IIN Received
November 3, 2010: AOS paid
November 5, 2010: AOS status "PAID". Sent AOS packet
November 6, 2010: DS-3032 email received. Emailed DS-3032
November 8, 2010: IV paid, DS-3032 accepted
November 10, 2010: IV status "PAID". Sent IV packet
November 15, 2010: IV received at NVC
November 22, 2010: False Checklist for missing DS-230
November 29, 2010: AOS + IV entered into system
December 4, 2010: SIF, Case Completed
December 6, 2010: Interview Scheduled
December 27-28, 2010: Passed Physical
January 6, 2011: Interview @ 0830 Approved
January 14, 2011: Visa received
January 31, 2011: CFO seminar completed
February 11, 2011: POE- LAX

Removal of Conditions
January 8, 2013: Mailed I-751
January 10,2013: NOA1
February 6, 2013: Biometrics Appoint.

June 4, 2013: Received I-797 NOA removal of conditions

My wife is from Illigan and Cebu so I know how that part of the Philippines are.

I would budget to have on hand at the very least 1500USD after arriving in Cagayan De Oro. Remember that in the fall the prices for the tickets from USA to Manila skyrocket.

When you get there, make sure to exchange money in the SM anchor store at the SM mall. Their exchange rate is fair and you avoid getting scammed this way.

It's not that it's expensive there, it's just that being in the same area for 3 weeks can drive both of you crazy. Think about it, you want to be alone and if you are in the same town that everybody knows her, you will never be alone. I'm sure she can and wants to show you more of her country before she ultimately leaves. Get on a Gothong or Superferry liner and take a cruise in the craziest suite they have (I think I payed 200PHP one way I think, but it was really cheap, don't quote me on this one) and then hang out in Cebu City for a couple of days or check out Boracay. (I really loved getting on the edge of the boat feeling like Jimmy Buffet with a SanMiguel, a cigarette and the wind blowing in my face.)

As for the marriage expect to pay up the wazoo. I got married in the Cebu court, but I had not the time to wait 10 days, and with you there for only three weeks, I hope you are filing as soon as you get there so you can have a nice honeymoon thereafter, either that you can also "tip" someone to get it done for you in like two hours (I ended up paying give or take $160) You have to pay for the party (And god!! Everybody shows up so expect to be paying for two Lichon roasts). This can cost you in the upwards of around $400. Also expect to help the family a little bit with some kind of gift (I didn't have this problem, as my in laws are pretty well off.)

Before you leave, make sure you pack a balik-bayan box full of chocolates, snacks and small toys that kids in the USA really like. Children in the Philippines love this kind of stuff and pays off in the really long run. If you know how to acquire these cheap, then more power to you. Just make sure they are well known brands like Hershey's, Mars, you know. Since you are going just before the Halloween season then stock up a whole crapload of the individual size.

Oh and on a last note, make sure you have $10-$20 for the airport tax (not sure if it's the same now, I haven't been there since 2005.) It would sure be a bummer if you can't get on that flight home to process the paperwork.

Good luck to you!

Edited by flipicaneze

If you can, make a little vacation out of it all. No big neen to live the life of staying at home while you're there. Vacationing there is very affordable and worth it while you're visiting. My wife and I spent time on Corregidor Island, then the next day after we returned to Manila flew to Puerto Princessa, Palawan. When we flew back to Manila we hooked up with my cousin to eat at the dampa market next to the Mall of Asia, then took us to Tagaytay. My wife and I took a bus from Tagaytay to Manila and spent a few days at her house before I flew back.

I will tell you that if you spend your time "at home" while you're there, you will be missing out on so much to see in that country.

If you are staying in the NCR area (Manila) it would be worth your time to check out Corregidor Island, Intramuros (Fort Santiago), Quiapo district, and Dampa near MOA (go there starving, leave super full). Personally I don't highly recommend visiting the Aquarium at Bagumbayan Park. I wasn't really impressed especially with the 500Php price. I consider it to be a huge tourist trap, with no cultural or historic contribution.

sha 100% + ako 50% = 75% pinoy anak

• 1 month later...

im also told that she doesnt need parental consent or anything to get married although the us embassy websites say that.....she is 20,21 in september.and my father and a friend plan on going to the phils at the sametime as i unless i get the money to go sooner.....but from filipinos im best friends with here in the states and other people i know told me she doesnt not even need to let her parents know that she is getting married let alone getting consent.also how much is a cheap church wedding?i know that sounds bad.but we wont have many people there and she isnt worried now about what is all at the wedding but the fact we will get married.

She needs a parent consent. That is one of the requirement to file for the marriage contract. I was 22 when i married my husband last year.

I even need a parents written permission to travel when i got my stamp for the CFO.

Regards,

Mrs. DOug

uhmm one $1k is really enough if u will just stay with her in 3wks., not to buy expensive things or will not rent a hotel, just stay to her home..... uhmm yes i think it will do the foods and etc. well all everyday needs... u can bring her to mall too.. buy her especial things but not too expensive... but if u will get married don't invite her whole family, oh gosh u giving me a problem how to budget ur money hahahaha... to make it short.. ur money, $1k is really for u and ur fiancee only.... :P :P :P

well good luck to u and ur gf.. have a nice stay here in Phil. when u come here...

I just spent $1500 for a church wedding in the province.

$1000 total & he will get married there on just that ?

better be a small civil wedding :blush::whistle:

piglett

06/05/2010 wedding Cajidiocan, Philippines

11/17/2010 I-130 packet sent

11/23/2010 petition has been received and routed to the Vermont

Service Center for processing!!!

11/27/2010 NOA1 recieved by mail

04/23/2011 NOA2 recieved by mail....what a slow process : (

07/22/2011 AOS fee sent in also choice of address & agent form sent

08/22/2011 IV fee paid

02/28/2012 medical done ONE DAY !!!

03/14/2012 VISA APPROVED : )))

MY PICTURES http://s927.photobucket.com/albums/ad117/piglett2195/

If you can barely afford to visit her now then you aren't ready for this Visa Journey. Spend a year working on getting a better job or something. The expenses are more than you can imagine. Since my wife arrived last November we've burned through several thousand dollars just getting everything needed for her to be here and all of the doctors visits (not that she was in bad health but you'll want her to be looked at here).

Money is one of the biggest causes of marital strife and can lead to divorce quicker than you can get a crisp $20 from your local ATM. If it is tight now it will be impossible when she arrives. Don't count on her getting a job quickly in the US, look at the current unemployment rates and the backlash against immigrants.

I just spent $3500 & not i am getting ready to spend that much again or more.

I purchased a plane ticket from the NE united states it was $1500

the church wedding came in at another $1500 it started out at $2300 but we were able to cut out some things & yet it was still very nice & my wife was really happy with it.

Things will happen in the Philippines & they will require you to reach in your pocket & spend some of your hard earned cash. that is just the way it is over there.

My wife is a nurse so now i get to send her to a review class so she can take her nursing boards. then i get to spend another $1500 on her CR-1 visa.

now i knew all of this when i started the process & i can deal with it.

I took on some extra work on the side to pay so far for everything straight out of my pocket & i can tell you my pockets are not that deep either.

get a 2Nd job for a year & save that extra cash & go have a great time over there.

stop spending money, stop eating out, start to pile up cash.

in the long run it will turn out much better.

good luck dude

piglett

Edited by piglett

08/22/2011 IV fee paid

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

hehe thank you.i thought it would be enough for something like that....do u know how much it cost for a wedding well not so much a wedding but to get married thru justice of the peace or a jodge or something like that?or maybe a small church?just the 3 of us,her sister,jenes and i?

Talking about Cost Well Like $300 to $ 500 ,in PHP raise up to 20,000 pesos.depends of how many visitor are invited on your wedding day.if you were going to celebrate your wedding by Official thats pretty good idea. you dont need to spend that much a $1k. save more extra dollar for your next honeymoon right after you wedding :)together with your fiance/wife Sister.

really it all depends on how many people U intend to have at the wedding.

also many people in the area will just show up at the reception...... so figure on lots of food, the more the better. your girl will not tell you but she has ALWAYS dreamed of a church wedding . if there is any way in the world you can give it to her & U really do love her then do it

good luck

piglett :thumbs:

08/22/2011 IV fee paid

thanks every1.i really appreciate the replies.....then about 3500 dollars including plane tickets should be enough.and we dont plan to invite a lot of people.plus she moved to cebu.and she is from bayugan.so basically ill either be going back to bayugan with her family or staying in cebu and just having her sisters and parents come.but we will see when i get there.but for now i have a goal on how much to sav.and that goal should be reachable by the end of this year like i planned.again thanks all

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.