tonydavis

I'm a U.S. Citizen, Marrying a Canadian in Toronto, Then Both Living in US

26 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I feel like even if I did present documentation that I was returning to the US, they might not let me in. Is proof of employment the only thing I need? I'd think border control would want something legally binding. Which is why I was just going to be mum on the topic when crossing.

Some officers have a way of questioning people that can fluster a person. You can be mum on the topic but be honest with everything they ask. If you had your employer write a letter with the date you are expected to return to work, then that will be good in case they do drill you. You probably won't need any of it though, but just in case marriage does come up...you have a back up.

Personally, I'd mention marriage and provide a letter from employer if asked...or even offer it!

Yes she should be able to visit you in the US. It is true that some CBP officers can be much more difficult than others so she should be prepared with documentation that shows strong ties and that she is returning home.

Its much more difficult for some countries but the folks in the Canada forum will guide you on what is needed.

And yes, its fine to talk I-130, the CR-1 is for people filing sho have been married for less than two years, IR-1 is for folks who have been married longer. The difference ends up when doing AOS. If your married less than the requirement you get a conditional green card and then have to remove conditions later. Don't worry about that yet, you'll have plenty of time to read and understand that part as you go. Focus on the guide and understanding the initial petition requirements for now.

The good news is your getting started early with learning about what to expect!

6/15/2009 Filed I-129F

12/15/2009 Interview (HCMC, VN)

1/16/2010 POE Detroit

3/31/2010 MARRIED !!!

11/20/2010 Filed I-485

12/23/2010 Biometrics (Buffalo, NY)

12/31/2010 I-485 Transfered to CSC

2/4/2011 Green Card received

1/7/2013 Mailed I-751 package

1/14/2013 I-751 NOA (VSC)

2/07/2013 Biometrics (Buffalo, NY)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

When my husband came to Toronto for our wedding, the questioning when like this

Agent: Purpose of visit?

Husband: To marry my girlfriend

Agent: *dubious look* do you plan on returning to the US?

Husband: Yes, I have a meeting in Seattle next Friday, here is a letter from my company verifying the meeting and my flight itenerary for the trip

Agent: Congratulations, have a good trip

Be honest if they ask, it is always the best policy

Edited by canadian_wife

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

I only say I'd be mum, because we've been visiting each other about every other month since like mid 2008 and I've never really been given a time limit on how long I could stay.

@ Canadian_wife thx for confirmation on the license certificate thing; that's the route we are heading; she'll be turning in the license once we are within 90 days of the date.

@ CANDY PANTS, i don't want to be un-sexy! thanks for the morality/conscience check my friend!

Yes she should be able to visit you in the US. It is true that some CBP officers can be much more difficult than others so she should be prepared with documentation that shows strong ties and that she is returning home.

Its much more difficult for some countries but the folks in the Canada forum will guide you on what is needed.

And yes, its fine to talk I-130, the CR-1 is for people filing sho have been married for less than two years, IR-1 is for folks who have been married longer. The difference ends up when doing AOS. If your married less than the requirement you get a conditional green card and then have to remove conditions later. Don't worry about that yet, you'll have plenty of time to read and understand that part as you go. Focus on the guide and understanding the initial petition requirements for now.

The good news is your getting started early with learning about what to expect!

Sorry if I got the "who is the he (fiance)" and "who is the she (fiancee)" part incorrect, I should pay a little closer attention sometimes :blink:

6/15/2009 Filed I-129F

12/15/2009 Interview (HCMC, VN)

1/16/2010 POE Detroit

3/31/2010 MARRIED !!!

11/20/2010 Filed I-485

12/23/2010 Biometrics (Buffalo, NY)

12/31/2010 I-485 Transfered to CSC

2/4/2011 Green Card received

1/7/2013 Mailed I-751 package

1/14/2013 I-751 NOA (VSC)

2/07/2013 Biometrics (Buffalo, NY)

I noticed you are set on marrying in Toronto. Have you considered still having the ceremony there but legally marrying in the USA before the ceremony? The marriage certificate worked differently in the USA, depending on the state. In my case we applied for the license and they gave us the marriage certificate which was to be filled out and signed by the officiant who conducted the marriage. Whatever the officiant and witnesses sign in Ontario is similar but is not considered a registered marriage certificate. I only suggest this if you don't want to delay the process of petitioning your wife because you are stuck waiting on a marriage certificate.

Look at the marriage certificate options from state to state, province to province if you want to avoid delays.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Thanks Bernie, we are definitely set on the 8/22/2010 wedding in Toronto. That will not change at all. To be clear CR-1 and i130 are the same right? Can we just call it i130 to keep my little head from spinning with all these forms! :) .

The I-130 petition is the PETITION that a USCitizen files.

The CR-1/IR-1 Visa is what's granted to the foreign spouse, after interview day at a USEM.

Have you made time to review the I-130 Guide here on VJ? Train yer eyes up, look for the word 'Guides', click it, then find the instructions for the type of petition you are filing.

Good Luck !

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

I only say I'd be mum, because we've been visiting each other about every other month since like mid 2008 and I've never really been given a time limit on how long I could stay.

@ Canadian_wife thx for confirmation on the license certificate thing; that's the route we are heading; she'll be turning in the license once we are within 90 days of the date.

@ CANDY PANTS, i don't want to be un-sexy! thanks for the morality/conscience check my friend!

Well your intents before weren't marriage-based so of course it wasn't a big deal but your purpose of visiting now has changed drastically and well, the letter from the employer is the most sexy option for back-up....and like you said, you don't want to be un-sexy!

Start the paperwork now! Sorry to burst your bubble - but there's no way you can just move to the U.S. after your wedding in Canada without it being illegal. It definitely sucks. Take a look at the "Guides" (http://www.visajourney.com/content/guides) and hopefully people here can help you out. It's a long process, depending on the route you take, but it's worth it in the end :)

***Removing Conditions***

Submitted I-751: March 4, 2011

Check cashed: March 10, 2011

NOA1: March 8, 2011

Biometrics Appt: April 21, 2011

Early Bio Walk-in: April 7, 2011

Approved: September 7, 2011

If you got legally married (like a civil ceremony) you could start the paperwork now and be that much further along by the time August rolls around for your celebration...4 months shaved off your waiting time, anyway.

Naturalization

9/9: Mailed N-400 package off

9/11: Arrived at Dallas, TX

9/17: NOA

9/19: Check cashed

9/23: Received NOA

10/7: Text from USCIS on status update: Biometrics in the mail

10/9: Received Biometrics letter

10/29: Biometrics

10/31: In-line

2/16: Text from USCIS that Baltimore has scheduled an interview...finally!!

2/24: Interview letter received

3/24: Naturalization interview

Justine+David correct, we did the civil marriage in Nov. 2007, filed I-130 CR-1 same month, then had the ceremony in July 2008. In July 2008 the I-130 was approved. In January 2009 packet 3 was requested. Visa approved in December 2009,then went to administrative processing and I-601 requested. We still await approval however our case is somewhat difficult.

The civil marriage and ceremony booth took place in Michigan where my wife lives. Due to my I-601 waiver request I am not able to enter the US however she visits me frequently.

tonydavis, good luck to you, and should you need more assistance you will certainly find it here. We are the real world of immigration. :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.