PhiLandShiR

California County Bans Toys With Fast-Food Meals

67 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

You are an idiot if you think inflicting pain actually allows someone to learn appropriate behaviour. All it has the potential to teach is that at some point it is acceptable to resort to violence if you are frustrated and unable to cope. Brilliant!

Just as you stick a dog's nose in its own ####### to keep it from doing it again in the house. Just as you whack it with a newspaper. Kids actually can work the same way. Many remember pain and it works. For some it's not needed, but for some it is. The problem with the brats we have out there today is this CPS/nanny state bullshit coming into the home and telling parents they can't wallop their kids. There's been a huge attitude change for the worse since that has been taking place.

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

They should go a better way and ensure that quality, nutritious meals are available in schools. Not only that, but that only nutritionally sound choices are available, that nutrition and cooking are encouraged and taught to all children and that children are made aware of just how important it is to eat balanced diets. If children get quality meals most days, the odd burger isn't going to have an adverse effect.

Have you seen that movie: Supersize Me?

It's explained in some detail how much money is involved in the advertising and marketing of processed foods, and how the advertising budgets for those products dwarfs (by several thousand times) that for fresh produce. Part of the problem is that it's difficult to advertise fruit and vegetables in a traditional manner that suggests what is being sold is novel and exclusive. How do you advertise say, a banana in a way that suggest that company X's produce is better than company Y's?

Not to mention that the catering contracts for a lot of schools districts are owned/operated by subsidiaries for those companies; or which have pre-existing agreements in place to stock their products...

It's why there are all these schemes targetted at schools for kids to collect coke cans and chocolate wrappers.

I agree with you about nutritional education in schools, but I do believe that advertising of junk food, specifically when it is targetting towards children (during the commercial breaks for kids shows) should be treated in a similar way to the way in which cigarette advertising is heavily restricted.

Just as you stick a dog's nose in its own ####### to keep it from doing it again in the house. Just as you whack it with a newspaper. Kids actually can work the same way. Many remember pain and it works. For some it's not needed, but for some it is. The problem with the brats we have out there today is this CPS/nanny state bullshit coming into the home and telling parents they can't wallop their kids. There's been a huge attitude change for the worse since that has been taking place.

So how many kids do you have to attest to your strategy being effective?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline

When my kids were younger, we did spank...at some point though, we realized it was a fruitless venture and they were not behaving more appropriately because of it. We had to take different tactics with both of them.

We totally gave up spanking (which I never liked anyway) and resorted to time out for one (worked great). However, for my oldest, he couldn't care less about time outs. What we did instead was to take away his computer keyboard (gasp). I use to lock it up in the trunk of my car, and it went to work with me. Let me tell you, the THREAT of taking away the keyboard for a length of time REALLY helped him put things in perspective.

He like to spend a lot of time on the computer, for homework, but also programming he liked to do (from the age of about 7 on up). Nothing else worked for him. Let me also say, he had to earn his computer time. 1/2 reading = 1/2 computer time and things like that. They both could earn more time for computers or TV by doing extra (unasked for) chores, or by being caught doing something REALLY nice for someone.

I think different things have to work for different kids, but don't agree with spanking anymore. I think if you need to spank, it's because you have run out of other more creative way to discipline. And I think there is a BIG difference between discipline and punishing. Punishing, to me, indicates a desire to cause a person who trusts you, pain to "teach a lesson". But really it only teaches frustration = pain. And this is usually metted out by people who say they love you.

-Blu-(JMO)

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Amsterdam

02-27-09: I-129F Sent

03-10-09: I-129F NOA1

06-10-09: I-129F NOA2

06-17-09: Rec'vd by NVC

06-18-09: STUCK IN NVC AP

06-25-09: FINALLY petition on it's way to the embassy

06-29-09: DHL delivered our packet to the embassy in Amsterdam

07-01-09: Rec'd Packet 3!!!!

08-01-09: Rec'd Packet 4

08-25-09: Interview date...APPROVED!!!!

12/12/09: Fiancee arrival date WOOOT!

02/20/10: Married and SOOOO happy!

04/20/10: Sent off AOS (finally!)

05/03/10: Rec'd AOS NOA1

Timeline

In case you didn't know this...kids are NOT dogs or other types of pets and they learn COMPLETELY differently. To compare teaching a kid to sticking a dog's nose in his poop is REALLY, REALLY a stretch, and completely ludicrous.

I hope if you have kids someday, and if they have an "accident" which they WILL, you won't rub their nose in it hoping next time they will use the toilet!

-Blu-

Edited by Wyld Blu

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Unless a person has kids, I don't see how anyone can make out as if they know beyond any shadow of a doubt how to discipline them - and I really don't understand how they can frame their opinions as matters of unvarnished fact and expect to be taken seriously.

It's just arrogance.

Timeline

In case you didn't know this...kids are NOT dogs or other types of pets and they learn COMPLETELY differently. To compare teaching a kid to sticking a dog's nose in his poop is REALLY, REALLY a stretch, and completely ludicrous.

I hope if you have kids someday, and if they have an "accident" which they WILL, you won't rub their nose in it hoping next time they will use the toilet!

-Blu-

lol, take a chill pill.

Little people are still animals and every one of them learns in different ways at different levels. - Not every dog needs a trainer/certain degree of training to be obedient, some naturally are due to their inherent personalities. Just as some kids fear their parents words versus some fear their parents actions. Not every child is universally the same. Time outs and stern words do not work for every child, just as they don't work for every adult either. Every animal has a certain way that works for it, and a child is no different.

nfrsig.jpg

8/14/2010 - Touched!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

Filed: Timeline
Little people are still animals and every one of them learns in different ways at different levels. - Not every dog needs a trainer/certain degree of training to be obedient, some naturally are due to their inherent personalities. Just as some kids fear their parents words versus some fear their parents actions. Not every child is universally the same. Time outs and stern words do not work for every child, just as they don't work for every adult either. Every animal has a certain way that works for it, and a child is no different.

That's the most ignorant load of ####### I've read in a long time.

Timeline

That's the most ignorant load of ####### I've read in a long time.

*pats on head* It's ok. You'll be alright thinking everything in life is so linear.

nfrsig.jpg

8/14/2010 - Touched!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

Timeline

He has a kid. How many do you have?

:lol: the escape clause from anyone who refuses to look at an issue. "Well I have kids, and this worked for them, so I know more than you do."

Please. Save. It.

I study more people and more parenting styles than you could wrap your head around.

Actually, most people who I've seen who say, 'you don't have kids' are usually the worst parents with the most whiney/misbehaved brats out there. (notice I said most, not all).

As someone who studies this, don't think I haven't been dove plenty in to getting my hands dirty as well. I've actually gone through the motions of being with young children 24/7, taking care of them, making sure they're doing well in school, helping with homework, etc. I actually do have quite a bit of 'experience' from a previous marriage if you really want to get down to it. The mother absolutely refused to spank her children. She threatened them with it mind you. She was stern, firm in other ways, took things away, but then was also trying to be their 'friend' at the same time. Of course their Uncle had no problems spanking them when he was around and they acted like little sh1ts. Guess who the kids respected more? - The Uncle. The mother gave timeouts, took things away, etc. but it was the spanking that got through to the kids. Their Uncle also spanks his own daughter when she gets out of hand... Guess what, she's almost the perfect little angel now days. - I also have a friend who timeouts work fine for. I have another who has a brat that is just simple a brat and nothing seems to work. Why? Every single child is different.

Parenting is not linear. It can't be. We are talking about little human beings with different little personalities. Sure, you can educate them, mold them, etc. but you will never have control over their true hearts/minds in the grand scheme of things. You can influence, but ultimate they all react differently to certain scenarios.

nfrsig.jpg

8/14/2010 - Touched!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
Just as you stick a dog's nose in its own ####### to keep it from doing it again in the house

Fact: That accomplishes nothing as far as potty training a dog. Dogs do not have a clue what you mean when you do that to them. Sheesh.

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

No dog trainers I know advocate the 'stick your dogs nose in ###### to teach them where to poo' method. That's as outdated as spanking and in the horse training business, it has been discovered that behavioural methods outstrip beating the ####### out of a horse until it submits also. How strange? ;)

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Fact: That accomplishes nothing as far as potty training a dog. Dogs do not have a clue what you mean when you do that to them. Sheesh.

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Timeline

No dog trainers I know advocate the 'stick your dogs nose in ###### to teach them where to poo' method. That's as outdated as spanking and in the horse training business, it has been discovered that behavioural methods outstrip beating the ####### out of a horse until it submits also. How strange? wink.gif

good.gif:thumbs:good.gif:thumbs:good.gif:thumbs:

Funny you should mention horse training. My horses ALWAYS respond better to positive reinforcement (IE treats) when learning new tricks. The ONLY time I have ever resorted to corporal punishment is when I first got them, and they did dangerous things...ie, biting, kicking, rearing, while I was on the ground. Works like a CHARM.

THAT SAID....horses in the wild will bite or kick each other in response to being bit or kicked. My smack and loud NO, is more like a slight sting to what they would get in the wild.

Children are NOT in the wild and as such CAN and SHOULD be taught without violence. There is SUCH a plethera of other disciplinary methods to use besides hitting them, that again, if you resort to hitting, IMO, it is because you have not thought of another creative way to handle the behavior. I DO agree that no child will learn exactly the same way as another child, and they need different methods for different behavior problems. But, I think there are SO many other things to try and work on besides just corporale punishment.

-Blu-

Filed: Timeline

Fun times!

My "no" works wonders with happy meals...not sure the last time I fed one to them however, or ever will. Ughh...

I have twins (as seen below)...my son reacts well to "time out" they are two in May. He even hugs me after his 1.5 minutes in time out and pats me on the back as if to say "sorry mommy". However, my redheaded little devil that she's become...blows raspberries at me and then laughs at me when we do time out. *sigh*

Raising voices doesn't work, time out doesn't work and a tap on the bottom makes her laugh. Although the hiding of the keyboard did give me an idea....she loves her books...hmmm. :devil: