Teacher Mark

Flights to US Originating in HCMC

22 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I booked tickets online with EVA. I tried booking over the phone, but they wanted me to drive across HCMC to their office to physically present my Visa card before they would book the tickets. They said I had to get there before 5:00 pm, and it was already 4:15 pm. From Tan Phu to District 1 in 45 minutes at rush hour? :blink:

The only hassle I had was that my bank's fraud detection system was freaking out about over $2K in charges originating from an internet connection in Vietnam (3 tickets). I ended up having to get a customer service rep on phone, and kept him on the phone while I walked through the purchase online. Also, I DID have to present the Visa card when we checked in at the airport.

I've flown EVA, China, and Asiana. Of the three, EVA is the best by far. Better food, better service, better airplanes. I've heard Singapore and Cathay Pacific are even better, but they don't transit through Taipei. I don't like the airports in Hong Kong and Seoul - too crowded.

I guess what I'm saying is that I don't usually bother to compare prices. Unless I'm really strapped for cash, I take EVA.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

I booked tickets online with EVA. I tried booking over the phone, but they wanted me to drive across HCMC to their office to physically present my Visa card before they would book the tickets. They said I had to get there before 5:00 pm, and it was already 4:15 pm. From Tan Phu to District 1 in 45 minutes at rush hour? :blink:

The only hassle I had was that my bank's fraud detection system was freaking out about over $2K in charges originating from an internet connection in Vietnam (3 tickets). I ended up having to get a customer service rep on phone, and kept him on the phone while I walked through the purchase online. Also, I DID have to present the Visa card when we checked in at the airport.

I've flown EVA, China, and Asiana. Of the three, EVA is the best by far. Better food, better service, better airplanes. I've heard Singapore and Cathay Pacific are even better, but they don't transit through Taipei. I don't like the airports in Hong Kong and Seoul - too crowded.

I guess what I'm saying is that I don't usually bother to compare prices. Unless I'm really strapped for cash, I take EVA.

Thanks for the information. The banks security measures would be a pain, but at least you know they're watching.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I have had issues with my bank shutting my account down while I was n VN and now I have to carry an international# to contact them should a problem arise... not like they would contact me to ask about itwhistling.gif

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

Timeline

I always fly EVA, their prices and service have always been exceptional! As for using debit/credit cards overseas, it's best to contact your bank prior to traveling and let them know what countries you are going to and for which days of travel. They'll place a note in your account and alert the fraud dep't that you've pre-authorized... At least thats how Wells Fargo handles things. And its ALWAYS a good idea to have the US local numbers for your account providers as 800 numbers can be difficult to reach outside the US. Lastly, if you have an old cell phone lying around, bring it and have a VN sim card placed inside, buy some minutes and you have a very cheap way of staying in touch with families both in VN and in the US.

Our K1 Timeline

03.11 - 4.10.2005 - Met on vacation in Vietnam

10.25 - 11.19.2005 - Returned to Vietnam & got engaged 11.1.05

12.29.2005 - I-129F Sent

01.04.2006 - I-129F NOA1/Receipt and Case Number

03.23.2006 - NOA2

04.05.2006 - Rec'd @ NVC

04.07.2006 - Left for HCMC

04.08.2006 - e-file in HCMC

05.10.2006 - HCMC sends out packet 3

06.02.2006 - Rec'd packet 3

06.05.2006 - sent forms back to HCMC

07.17.2006 - called and got Interview date

07.20.2006 - Rec'd packet 4

08.10.2006 - ***INTERVIEW*** - Blue slip

08.11.2006 - Went to embassy with add'l evidence - Green Slip

03.23.2007 - both of us interviewed and ....PASSED

03.24.2007 - Picked up VISA!!!!!

04.11.2007 - Got Married!

07.18.2007 - Mailed AOS paperwork

08.28.2007 - RFE

09.18.2007 - Mailed back add'l paperwork

10.12.2007 - EAD card issued

11.14.2007 - notified by phone of Interview in 2 days!

11.16.2007 - INTERVIEW (RFE given for add'l evidences..again!)

12.06.2007 - Dropped off evidences at USCIS office

12.18.2007 - I485 Card Production Ordered

12.29.2007 - Card Rec'd!!!

11.19.2009 - I-751 filed for lifting conditions

11.20.2009 - Issued NOA

01.22.2010 - photo and fingerprints

02.03.2010 - lifting conditions APPROVED!!

02.09.2010 - card rec'd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

??????????? - All of our lives together to figure out the rest ;)

Timeline

I always fly EVA, their prices and service have always been exceptional! As for using debit/credit cards overseas, it's best to contact your bank prior to traveling and let them know what countries you are going to and for which days of travel. They'll place a note in your account and alert the fraud dep't that you've pre-authorized... At least thats how Wells Fargo handles things. And its ALWAYS a good idea to have the US local numbers for your account providers as 800 numbers can be difficult to reach outside the US. Lastly, if you have an old cell phone lying around, bring it and have a VN sim card placed inside, buy some minutes and you have a very cheap way of staying in touch with families both in VN and in the US.

Many cell phones purchased from service providers in the US don't use SIM chips, or are locked to the service provider. I use Verizon, and have always purchased phones from them to get the discounts whenever I renew my contract. They don't use SIM chips. The only service provider which I know for sure uses phones that have SIM chips is T-Mobile. If you don't use their service, they'll rape you on the cost of a phone.

There is a company in Los Angeles that rents and sells mobile phones that use SIM chips, and they can also sell you a SIM chip for most countries in the world, as well as scratch cards to recharge the minutes. You can rent a phone and buy a VN SIM (with about $25 of pre-paid minutes) for as little as $29 for the first week.

http://www.cellularabroad.com/vietnamRcell.php

I purchased a phone from them several years ago for my daughter to use in Europe. I've since gotten an international SIM (homed in the UK) and a Vinaphone SIM for it, and I've used it on 5 trips to VN.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

ATT uses SIM cards. VERY easy to unlock--I called up C/S and informed them that I'd be traveling and they'd send me an email a few days later. An even easier way is if you want to pay for a code, just go through one of the online companies who'll send you an unlock code via email. Never tried that method, but you can also get it done in VN for 5-10 US bucks.

CR1/IR1 Timeline:

GENERAL INFO

[*]12-xx-2007 - 1st Trip (6wks) & Met him halfway around the world

[*]03-xx-2008 - Got engaged - two people on opposite sides of the world

[*]05-xx-2008 - 2nd Trip (2wks) - Engagement/Marriage/Consummation

[*]06-12-2008 - Filed I-130 (CR-1) with Vermont Service Center

[*]12-xx-2008 - 3rd Trip (4wks)

[*]06-05-2009 - Interview at 9:00am at HCMC Consulate (result: blue)

[*]07-08-2009 - Submitted RFE: Beneficiary's Relatives & Evidence of Relationship

[*]08-xx-2009 - 4th Trip (4wks)

[*]10-07-2009 - AP 91 days - Result: APPROVED!!

[*]10-31-2009 - POE: Detroit, MI

[*]11-18-2009 - Social Security Card

[*]11-20-2009 - Green Card

[*]01-21-2010 - Driver's License

THE NEXT STEPS...

[*]02/07/2011 - Renew Vietnam Passport

[*]07/30/2011 - Process of Removing Conditions Begins

[*]09/25/2011 - Date of I-751

[*]09/28/2011 - NOA1

[*]10/19/2011 - Biometrics

Timeline

I purchased a phone from them several years ago for my daughter to use in Europe. I've since gotten an international SIM (homed in the UK) and a Vinaphone SIM for it, and I've used it on 5 trips to VN.

Many VN mobile companies have time limits on the SIM's.. if you dont use them.. the number is reassigned... A SIM I bought in April was nolonger valid in November..not a result of used inutes, rather because I failed to use the # for the extended period... Now I just leave the SIM with Thuy and she uses it every now and then to keep it active...

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Many VN mobile companies have time limits on the SIM's.. if you dont use them.. the number is reassigned... A SIM I bought in April was nolonger valid in November..not a result of used inutes, rather because I failed to use the # for the extended period... Now I just leave the SIM with Thuy and she uses it every now and then to keep it active...

That is just like in america with any prepaid card, all you need to do with a VN sim card is every 90 days have someone put money on it or as Scott said to leave it there. Both AT&T and Tmobile and now even some Virgin Mobile cell phones have SIM cards (all AT&T and T Mobile have them) They all also have the same 90 day timelimit, but AT&T you can buy a 1 year card, it cost $100 but you do not need to worry about the sim going bad on you. I think you can also get the same in VN but it might cost 200,000 dong or something like that. Almost all SIM card phones can be unlocked with few exceptions, and those are how cheap the phone is. If it is a nice phone then the chances are it can be unlocked, as the popularity of it warrants such an unlock, but a cheap $20 prepaid phone will have little chances of having a unlock on the market. Developers just dont want to waste so much time and money on something that originally was so cheap. Jerome

Edited by jeromebinh

小學教師 胡志明市,越南

Timeline

That is just like in america with any prepaid card, all you need to do with a VN sim card is every 90 days have someone put money on it or as Scott said to leave it there. Both AT&T and Tmobile and now even some Virgin Mobile cell phones have SIM cards (all AT&T and T Mobile have them) They all also have the same 90 day timelimit, but AT&T you can buy a 1 year card, it cost $100 but you do not need to worry about the sim going bad on you. I think you can also get the same in VN but it might cost 200,000 dong or something like that. Almost all SIM card phones can be unlocked with few exceptions, and those are how cheap the phone is. If it is a nice phone then the chances are it can be unlocked, as the popularity of it warrants such an unlock, but a cheap $20 prepaid phone will have little chances of having a unlock on the market. Developers just dont want to waste so much time and money on something that originally was so cheap. Jerome

:ot2:

Timeline

:ot2:

Sorry, that was my fault. :blush:

Did you book a ticket? If so, what web site did you use?

Timeline

Sorry, that was my fault. :blush:

Did you book a ticket? If so, what web site did you use?

Not yet. I'm in the process of deciding whether I'm staying, so I wanted to price tickets.

Edited by Mr. Saigon

Timeline

Edited by ScottThuy

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.