leonsgal70

I'm In Need of I-864 Assistance

9 posts in this topic

I am in need of clarification on the following....

the situation is:

I, the USC citizen, is sponsoring my Canadian Husband; and am using a joint sponsor.

Basis of Filing Affidavit of Support:

line item e: Since I do not meet the poverty guidelines, am I considered the first joint sponsor and the joint sponsor, who meets the poverty guidelines, is considered the second?

Sponsors Household Size:

Since this is for myself, the USC and Husband, Canadian Citizen...correct total would be 2

Under Joint Sponsor

She has '1' for herself only, then adds the immigrant she is sponsoring (my Canadian Husband) totalling 2

are we suppose to duplicate the immigrant; my husband with both I-864s?

Part 6 Line Item # 24 B:

Do I name the joint sponsor in this section, on my I-864 since her income is what is qualifying and leave this area blank on her I-864?

Address Section: though I am living in Canada with my husband, should I enter the address of where we will be living in the USA as residence and use our Canadian address as my mailing address? The address I will use as my residence address is the address all my mail (bank statement, credit card statements, car insurance, etc) and furnishings are at and have been for the last 2 years of being in Canada.

Annual Household Income and Assets:Though sponsorship requirements are met with the joint sponsor, should I fill in the Annual Household Income and Assets between my husband and I, on my I-864? Since I haven't worked in the last 2 years, it may show we do have savings we will convert over to US currency. Just a thought.

Thank You All for your Help! Best to All!

Lily

Amos 9:11

http://live.lifechurch.tv/

DCF USC married to Canadian

March 18, 2010 I-130 Submitted Ottawa (in person)

April 26, 2010 Packet 3 Request Arrives Canada Post, MTL # assigned

April 26, 2010 Overnighted Packet 3 Checklist and DS-230

April 28, 2010 Montreal Recieves Packet 3

July 21, 2010 left DH in Canada to prove domicile in USA :(

July 26, 2010 DOS contacted, Logged & Accepted, interview not yet scheduled

Interview------God Speed please!!! I miss my husband

I am in need of clarification on the following....

the situation is:

I, the USC citizen, is sponsoring my Canadian Husband; and am using a joint sponsor.

Basis of Filing Affidavit of Support:

line item e: Since I do not meet the poverty guidelines, am I considered the first joint sponsor and the joint sponsor, who meets the poverty guidelines, is considered the second?

You are the sponsor, so you tick a) regardless of a joint sponsor or not.

Sponsors Household Size:

Since this is for myself, the USC and Husband, Canadian Citizen...correct total would be 2

Yep that is correct

Under Joint Sponsor

She has '1' for herself only, then adds the immigrant she is sponsoring (my Canadian Husband) totalling 2

are we suppose to duplicate the immigrant; my husband with both I-864s?

No you do not duplicate otherwise you end up counting him twice.

Part 6 Line Item # 24 B:

Do I name the joint sponsor in this section, on my I-864 since her income is what is qualifying and leave this area blank on her I-864?

You definitely name the joint sponsor in this section on your I-864, and yep, leave that part blank on hers

Address Section: though I am living in Canada with my husband, should I enter the address of where we will be living in the USA as residence and use our Canadian address as my mailing address? The address I will use as my residence address is the address all my mail (bank statement, credit card statements, car insurance, etc) and furnishings are at and have been for the last 2 years of being in Canada.

Unless it asks you for 'intended USA address', always use the one you are currently living at.

Annual Household Income and Assets:Though sponsorship requirements are met with the joint sponsor, should I fill in the Annual Household Income and Assets between my husband and I, on my I-864? Since I haven't worked in the last 2 years, it may show we do have savings we will convert over to US currency. Just a thought.

If your sponsor meets the poverty guidelines, then there is no need for anything else if you don't wish.

Hope that helps!!!

02/11/10 - Hubby (USC) has I-130 interview at Sydney Embassy

02/11/10 - Hubby and I have CRBA interview at Sydney Embassy

02/17/10 - Medical results received

02/22/10 - Police check received

02/22/10 - NOA2/Packet 3 received

02/23/10 - DS230 mailed off to Embassy

02/23/10 - CRBA received with US Passport for daughter

02/26/10 - DS2001 and supporting documents mailed to Sydney Embassy

03/02/10 - Packet 4 received. Application is complete!

03/09/10 - Visa interview scheduled at Sydney Embassy

03/09/10 - Visa approved

03/11/10 - Visa received

03/19/10 - POE Los Angeles

03/31/10 - Greencard received

04/20/10 - SSN received

Hi all,

I too am having some hard times with this form.

1)My wife (USC) is filling out her I-864 as my "petitioner" (1.a check) but in fact my father in law is acting as a joint sponsor. Question: On her I-864 does she have to indicate that there is a joint sponsor or simply check 1.a. and attach my father in law's i-864 form?

2)My wife currently has an income but it will not continue once we move to the states as mine (I'm switching jobs)... Question: Do we even include our income in part 6, even though neither will continue from the same source or do we assume that we have no income (for the purposes of this form)? My father in law's income is enough (above poverty line requirements)?

Thanks! :help:

Hope that helps!!![/size][/b]

You helped us TREMENDOUSLY and I appreciate it....Thank You!!!!! :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi all,

I too am having some hard times with this form.

1)My wife (USC) is filling out her I-864 as my "petitioner" (1.a check) but in fact my father in law is acting as a joint sponsor. Question: On her I-864 does she have to indicate that there is a joint sponsor or simply check 1.a. and attach my father in law's i-864 form?

2)My wife currently has an income but it will not continue once we move to the states as mine (I'm switching jobs)... Question: Do we even include our income in part 6, even though neither will continue from the same source or do we assume that we have no income (for the purposes of this form)? My father in law's income is enough (above poverty line requirements)?

Thanks! :help:

1. No, I don't believe it asks your wife, on the I-864, if there is a joint sponsor, your father in law will indicate he is a joint sponsor in part one of his I-864.

2. Yes, she includes her income, converted to U.S. dollars. She will have filed U.S. tax returns, so that is the figure you will use. Her income on the I-864 must match her income figure on her 1040.

They don't care about your non U.S. income (as in you - the immigrant).

Edited by trailmix

Unless it asks you for 'intended USA address', always use the one you are currently living at.

Shouldn't the address in the US be used? It should be noted that the sponsor should be domiciled in the US. What do you think?

Timeline

Shouldn't the address in the US be used? It should be noted that the sponsor should be domiciled in the US. What do you think?

No, you should use the address where you live. The OP is not domiciled in the U.S., they are domiciled in Canada. They can try to prove they are reestablishing domicile - it's a lot more complicated than stating you are living at a U.S. address that you really aren't :)

Wow that gigantic font is - distracting :blink:

Edited by trailmix

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

The 864 is kicking my butt...need your brains, as I have been at this too long today. :bonk:

Upon moving to the US, we will be residing in my sisters home. Is my sister required to fill out the 1-864 as a sponsor, as well as 1-864a? She is the only 1 in her household and we are using her income for sponsorship.

Part 1 Basis for Filing Affidavit of Support: On my 1-864, I have checked line item A. For my sister's 1-864 she has checked Part 1 Line item D. Is this correct? E is throwing me off.

Part 5 Sponsors Household Size: Though we have both listed my husband on our individual 1-864's Part 2. In Part 5 My sister included my husband on her 1-864, but on my 1-864 part 5 I did not count my husband. Therefore, on mine my figures do not reflect actual, but I do understand he cannot be duplicated.

Part 6 Sponsors Income and Employment:

Line item 22. I am working in Canada, but the employment will NOT continue in the USA. I have listed my Canadian Employer but unsure if I should list my current individual income as like I said, this will not contimue in the US.

Part 6 Line Item 24 B on my 1-864, I listed my sister (the sponsor)...do I leave D and E blank as neither applies to her.

Thank you so much for your help!

Timeline

Hi,

We didn't use a joint sponsor so i'm not all that familiar with the details, so i'll just answer the questions I do know :)

Part 1 Basis for Filing Affidavit of Support: On my 1-864, I have checked line item A. For my sister's 1-864 she has checked Part 1 Line item D. Is this correct? E is throwing me off.

Yes - you are A, she is D.

Part 6 Sponsors Income and Employment:

Line item 22. I am working in Canada, but the employment will NOT continue in the USA. I have listed my Canadian Employer but unsure if I should list my current individual income as like I said, this will not contimue in the US.

Yes you should. Your income on the I-864 must match your gross income from your U.S. tax return for each of those years and you should enter your total anticipated gross income. This really isn't a trick question, just put your annual salary there :)

Edited by trailmix

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.