Always+Forever

State Medical Insurance

3 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Morocco
Timeline

Ok...I know they don't want us on food stamps, tanf/welfare, etc...but does State Health Insurance count towards one of those "burdens" on the government?? Any help would be greatly appreciated...and I'm talking about my daughter & I being on it.

Thanks,

Monica

VJ Timeline (see "About Me" for full timeline)

1/2009 Met Online

11/2009 1st visit to Morocco (2 weeks), Officially Proposed, Engagement Party!!

12/31/2009 K1 NOA1

2/26/2010 NOA2 APPROVED!!!

3/2010 2nd trip to Morocco (3.5 months)

5/18/2010 Interview Results: told to wait for call

6/14/2010 Visa denied per Section 221(g)

9/27/2010 NOID (Notice of Intent to Deny) Received

12/1/2010 NOID Reaffirmed & Returned for visa processing (back to Casa for another interview)

2/2/2011 Rebuttle Interview: APPROVED!!!

3/18/2011 VISA IN HAND!!

4/8/2011 Arrive in US through JFK (20 mins total time)

6/9/2011 MARRIED!!!

7/2013 Divorced

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Costa Rica
Timeline

State sponsored health insurance (ie: Medicaid) is considered a public benefit and therefore a no-no. The petitioner can be held liable for the costs of state paid health care.

Alan

K-1 JOURNEY

157 DAYS FROM NOA-1 TO NOA-2

181 DAYS FROM NOA-1 TO INTERVIEW

07/14/2011 - I-129F sent via FedEx to USCIS
07/15/2011 - Arrived at CSC, signed for by E. Jameson
07/15/2011 - NOA-1 (E-Mail)
07/19/2011 - NOA-1 (Hard Copy)
08/01/2011 - Touched
12/19/2011 - Touched
12/19/2011 - NOA-2 (E-Mail)
12/22/2011 - X-Ray
12/22/2011 - Lab Work
12/23/2011 - NOA-2 (Hard Copy)
12/27/2011 - NVC Received
12/28/2011 - San Jose Embassy Case Number Assigned
12/29/2011 - NVC Sent Petition via DHL to Embassy
12/30/2011 - Embassy Received Petition, signed for by J. Rodriguez
01/04/2011 - Medical
01/09/2011 - Packet 3 Received
01/12/2011 - Embassy Interview - Approved
01/19/2011 - Visa Received
01/21/2012 - POE (Ft. Lauderdale, FL - USA)
01/23/2012 - SSA Issued Fresy's SSN
02/18/2012 - Wedding

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Life is not measured by the breaths you take. Rather, life is measured by the moments that take your breath away!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Ok...I know they don't want us on food stamps, tanf/welfare, etc...but does State Health Insurance count towards one of those "burdens" on the government?? Any help would be greatly appreciated...and I'm talking about my daughter & I being on it.

Thanks,

Monica

I assume you're talking about Medicaid, or some other medical assistance program, and not a subsidized private insurance program like OMIP.

As a US citizen, you are free to take advantage of these programs if you are eligible for them. LPR's are generally prohibited from using these programs until they've been LPR's for some minimum period of time (I believe it's 5 years). If your affidavit of support is still in effect at that time, you could be held liable for reimbursing the government for the costs.

Many government benefit programs depend on your income level in order to qualify to receive them, but that doesn't automatically make them "means tested benefits". A lot depends on where the money comes from to pay for the program. For example, LPR's are eligible to collect unemployment insurance payments or Social Security Disability Insurance payments. Although the payments come from the government, these programs are funded by payments from workers and employers. In other words, you earn the right to apply for them by helping pay for them when you're working. On the other hand, they aren't eligible to collect Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) nor Supplemental Security Income (SSI) until after they've been LPR's for some minimum time, and the I-864 sponsor can be held liable for the costs after that if they do collect from these programs, because these programs are funded by taxpayers. Funding by taxpayers is the "public" part of "public charge".

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.