West&East

Couple of Questions

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

Hey all!

Ive been a long time viewer of this forum and just want to say thanks for all the information and positivity on these boards!

It's really helpful and encouraging to have so many people pitching in to make navigation of this process easier.

I just have a few questions...

1) As I am a grad student and not currently working I will need to file a joint/co-sponsor support (I-134?) form.

My father has agreed to do this so I'm just wondering what documents he and I will need to provide as evidence? He is planning to

use tax forms and I am thinking to send a copy of my bank account. Also, for personal property, would it be acceptable to list the Blue

Book value of my car with a copy of the title in my name?

2)Jumping ahead somewhat, I have seen a number of posts concerning SSN's. Many have advised getting it as soon as possible (before marriage) but, from reading on the boards, it seems that it would be easier to wait 2 weeks after my fiance enters the country, get married, and then file for a

SSN so we would not have to go through a complicated name change process. Is there something I'm missing or would this truly be the easiest way to go about this? I have seen many posts claiming it's easier if one gets the SSN prior to marriage.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey all!

Ive been a long time viewer of this forum and just want to say thanks for all the information and positivity on these boards!

It's really helpful and encouraging to have so many people pitching in to make navigation of this process easier.

I just have a few questions...

1) As I am a grad student and not currently working I will need to file a joint/co-sponsor support (I-134?) form.

My father has agreed to do this so I'm just wondering what documents he and I will need to provide as evidence? He is planning to

use tax forms and I am thinking to send a copy of my bank account. Also, for personal property, would it be acceptable to list the Blue

Book value of my car with a copy of the title in my name?

2)Jumping ahead somewhat, I have seen a number of posts concerning SSN's. Many have advised getting it as soon as possible (before marriage) but, from reading on the boards, it seems that it would be easier to wait 2 weeks after my fiance enters the country, get married, and then file for a

SSN so we would not have to go through a complicated name change process. Is there something I'm missing or would this truly be the easiest way to go about this? I have seen many posts claiming it's easier if one gets the SSN prior to marriage.

1 ) Since your father is your cosponsor for the I-134, you will each need to fully fill out an I-134. The I-134 instructions list pretty clearly what documents can be included. It is also a good idea, for many consulates, to look at the instructions for the I-864 affidavit of support (which you will both be filling out for the AOS process later, with him as the joint sponsor) and bring the evidence and documentation listed there to the interview as well. You'll need it all anyways, and it's easier to gather it all at once.

In addition to his tax info, a letter from his employer describing his position, salary, and how long he has been with the company is a very good idea. A letter from the bank, listing accounts and deposit histories would be a good idea for him, and absolutely mandatory for you. I don't recall if property like your car is applicable for the I-134 (check it's instructions), but it would definitely be applicable to the I-864, so you should include it as well.

Remember, with USCIS forms, read the instructions closely and repeatedly, interpret them literally, and follow them precisely, and you should be fine.

2 ) After you fiancee enters on the K-1, wait about 2 weeks, then (before you get married! See below.) go down to the SSA office and apply for a social security card in her maiden name. Indicate on the form that she IS an alien authorized to work. Show them the passport, visa and I-94, and you should have no problems. If the clerk balks, ask for a supervisor. If the supervisor is intransigent, try a different office. She IS entitled to a SSC, and you'll probably have no problems.

After her EAD or GC shows up, that is when you go back to the SSA office with the new card and her marriage certificate, and they'll issue a new SSC in her married name. This is by far the easiest way to do this, and the name change process is not difficult at all. Don't surrender her old SSC until after you get the new one (if you want to bother surrendering it at all. I've kept mine as a souvenir.)

Do not get married before applying for the SSC. That will confuse the heck out of them, and they have a tendency to invent bizarre new regulations off the tops of their heads when they get confused, like saying that getting married cancels your I-94 and makes you not qualified to get a SSC, or some such nonsense. :lol: The process I outlined above is the easiest way to do this, trust me :)

DON'T PANIC

"It says wonderful things about the two countries [Canada and the US] that neither one feels itself being inundated by each other's immigrants."

-Douglas Coupland

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

Just wanted to say thanks for the speedy and informative reply!

That helps a lot and I will certainly be getting my fiance's SSN as soon as possible once she gets here.

I have a couple more quick questions regarding the I-134 form:

1.) Do I need a full letter from my bank indicating all the transactions for the past year or will a monthly statement suffice?

2.) For question 11 asking whether I (and my co-sponsor) intend to provide direct support, is it necessary to check the intend box and subsequently detail the support that will be provided?

It should be noted that my lawyer (whom only serves as a guide) has assured me that only a bank statement is needed and that both myself and my father should check do not intend to support on question 11. She claims that that question is only intended for those who will receive welfare or will only be staying temporarily in the country. I just wanted to double check because it seems odd to claim that we would not provide support on an affidavit of support form.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Do not get married before applying for the SSC. That will confuse the heck out of them, and they have a tendency to invent bizarre new regulations off the tops of their heads when they get confused, like saying that getting married cancels your I-94 and makes you not qualified to get a SSC, or some such nonsense. :lol: The process I outlined above is the easiest way to do this, trust me :)

My fiance I and I were planning to get married immediately (maybe a day or two after he gets here) and apply for a SSC a couple weeks later. Is what you've mentioned above based on your experience, or many people's? I believe that it's happened, but it's hard for me to change my plans just based on possibly confusion.. surely this can be explained to them or proven somehow?

I did not send any letter from my bank. I did provide the most recent 6 months of bank statements with the I-134.

There is no right/wrong answer to question 11.

Some check yes and some check no.

I checked no and and wrote (N/A - K-1 visa process for permanent residence)

Hope that helps.

6/15/2009 Filed I-129F

12/15/2009 Interview (HCMC, VN)

1/16/2010 POE Detroit

3/31/2010 MARRIED !!!

11/20/2010 Filed I-485

12/23/2010 Biometrics (Buffalo, NY)

12/31/2010 I-485 Transfered to CSC

2/4/2011 Green Card received

1/7/2013 Mailed I-751 package

1/14/2013 I-751 NOA (VSC)

2/07/2013 Biometrics (Buffalo, NY)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.