Brandon187

Need knowledgeable U.S/Canadian About Border Crossing

28 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Sorry to double post, I just wanted to mention incase I get grief because a lot of you have spent a long time seperated through your process of this. I've been in a relationship with my wife for almost 7 years, that's probably longer than most of you have been together through your whole process.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I understand how frustrated you must be, but saying things like that isn't going to get you a whole lot of sympathy.

Personally, I did the long distance thing for 4 years. I can name several couples who were separated for 5, 8, even 10 years by this process. You're definably not the only person who has gone through this stress and frustration, and you're definitely not the only person who has spent years traveling to be with the one you love.

I don't know the answers to your questions, hopefully someone here does.

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

I understand how frustrated you must be, but saying things like that isn't going to get you a whole lot of sympathy.

Personally, I did the long distance thing for 4 years. I can name several couples who were separated for 5, 8, even 10 years by this process. You're definably not the only person who has gone through this stress and frustration, and you're definitely not the only person who has spent years traveling to be with the one you love.

I don't know the answers to your questions, hopefully someone here does.

I'm sorry and I'm not trying to get sympathy, I just the the posts from people who tell me we've all had to wait go over it kinda deal. Especially when it's from people who have maybe lost 6 mths total time and their whole relationship has only been almost two years. I know the whole deal is literally mine own doing. It has put a huge toll on my family. Everywhere I turn I'm getting blocked. I'm jealous because I can only imagine how many fake marriages have been sucessful these ways. I don't blame any of the people who AOS just to be together by breaking immigration laws. It may be a huge risk, but can you blame people who really are marrying out of love, who just don't want to be apart. If I had done this years ago, we could have been just fine. That time wouldn't add up to all the time I've missed already. I think about losing those few special moments you have with your child christmas and birthdays, easters, and halloween. You only get so many. I wish I had found this site years ago. When my wife and I finally got married, she cried and told me over and over that she didn't want to go back and I said if you don't we'll be breaking the law and then we'll never be able to see eachother and then I found out about this AOS when she's already back. SHe's not even sure she can do it anymore, travelling 2600 miles by bus and with a child. The time apart we keep going through. Our relationship has been rocky since her departure in Jan. I tell her about the cr1 way and she get's discouraged. I'm trying to get her down her really because I want to save our marriage. I'm scared to death that if she get's turned away she's going to give up on the whole thing and then the thought I won't even be able to go up there because of this DUI and losing my card and stuff. Talking o nthe phone when bad things are happening just isn't enough at this point. I'm trying to reassure her and get her down here so we can be face to face and talk the whole situation out. it's just complicated and like you said frustrating. I don't mean to come off as rude and I'm sorry if I do. I'm just having a hard time dealing with all the speed bumps along the way.

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi Brando187,

Sorry to hear about your situation (hugs), and I do hope that you get it sorted out soon, so that you are finally reunited with your wife and daughter.

In answer to your questions/concerns...

You are a Canadian citizen through your parents, and have a Candadian citizenship card, and are allowed to be in Canada for as long as you want, regardless of your situation.

If it makes you feel any better, I have my Canadian Citizenship card (from when I was a child), and with that, I was able to apply for a Canadian passport. Maybe you can do the same thing too, so that you will have additional proof of Canadian citizenship too.

You can apply for a Canadian passport in-person at a Passport Canada office, so you don't have to worry about your documents being lost either.

In your case, I personally think that it would be easier if you moved to Canada instead of moving to the USA, as you have Canadian citizenship already, your immediate family are already Canadian citizens, and you have family and friends in Canada.

Besides, why would you want to deal with US immigration, when you don't have to? It's more troublesome, stressful, costly, and involves some sort of separation, to go through the whole US immigration process, as you will find out....

If your main issue is being reunited, then I think that for now, living in Canada the fastest way to go, as again, you have Canadian citizenship already.

Besides, Canada is not that bad of a country to live in....It can be worth it to live there!

But if you decide for your wife to go to the USA, I don't recommend your wife do the visitor to aos route either, as in your case, there is prior intention of immigrating, and that would be considered immigration fraud. CR/IR is the way to go for you, if your wife decides to immigrate to the USA. Your daughter would automatically be a US Citizen (via CBRA), so no problems there for her.

You might though, want to buy round-trip tickets for your daughter, as one-way tickets usually are more cause for questioning, especially if it involves minors (lol..they are worried about kidnapping and stuff like that). And yes, always have documentation to prove the custody arrangements for your daughter too.

As for your wife's ties to Canada, for visits to the USA, anything helps....bank statements, letters from employers, affidavits, etc. As long as she shows some ties to Canada, and her plans to return back after the visits the USA, then she shouldn't have too many problems with that.

And whatever you do, DO NOT lie to the border officials....That will be used against you and/or your family....

Hope this helps. Good luck on your journey. Don't give up!

Ant

Edited by Ant+D+BabyA

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Filed: Other Timeline

P.S. Maybe you can also go to a Canadian embassy here in the USA......

Perhaps if you show them proof of your Canadian citizenship (the photocopy of the citizenship card) and explain as to why you need a Canadian passport right away...Maybe they will be able to help you further there as well?.....

Hope this helps too. Good luck.

Ant

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

I'm sorry and I'm not trying to get sympathy, I just the the posts from people who tell me we've all had to wait go over it kinda deal. Especially when it's from people who have maybe lost 6 mths total time and their whole relationship has only been almost two years. I know the whole deal is literally mine own doing. It has put a huge toll on my family. Everywhere I turn I'm getting blocked. I'm jealous because I can only imagine how many fake marriages have been sucessful these ways. I don't blame any of the people who AOS just to be together by breaking immigration laws. It may be a huge risk, but can you blame people who really are marrying out of love, who just don't want to be apart. If I had done this years ago, we could have been just fine. That time wouldn't add up to all the time I've missed already. I think about losing those few special moments you have with your child christmas and birthdays, easters, and halloween. You only get so many. I wish I had found this site years ago. When my wife and I finally got married, she cried and told me over and over that she didn't want to go back and I said if you don't we'll be breaking the law and then we'll never be able to see eachother and then I found out about this AOS when she's already back. SHe's not even sure she can do it anymore, travelling 2600 miles by bus and with a child. The time apart we keep going through. Our relationship has been rocky since her departure in Jan. I tell her about the cr1 way and she get's discouraged. I'm trying to get her down her really because I want to save our marriage. I'm scared to death that if she get's turned away she's going to give up on the whole thing and then the thought I won't even be able to go up there because of this DUI and losing my card and stuff. Talking o nthe phone when bad things are happening just isn't enough at this point. I'm trying to reassure her and get her down here so we can be face to face and talk the whole situation out. it's just complicated and like you said frustrating. I don't mean to come off as rude and I'm sorry if I do. I'm just having a hard time dealing with all the speed bumps along the way.

Ok, I imagine this was aimed at my post.... first off, Ive been married for 4 years, known my husband for 6. He is a US citizen, I am a canadian permanent resident... He has DUI's, so he cannot come to Canada... I am only a permanent resident, so I cant freely travel to the states, I had a US tourist visa, told border patrol that I was just going down to visit friends and family, they took me into the back room, searched my luggage and found my marriage certificate. They promptly cancelled my visitors visa. My husband and I have a 3 year old, he has only seen her once, for a weekend. I KNOW why you shouldnt lie at the border, and I KNOW how frustrating it is to be away from your spouse. I havent seen mine for almost THREE years!!! I was merely preparing you for the fact that this MIGHT not go the way you want it to. It wasnt a snarky comment, I wasnt being sarcastic. But take it from someone who KNOWS how hard it is, who KNOWS what its like to practically be a single mother, raising a daughter away from a father who desperately wants to spend time with her and me... It was a warning, and a gentle reminder that the stars dont always line up in our favour. It doesnt matter how long you have known your spouse for, it doesnt matter how many kids you have, or how old they are. They are strict at the border, and enforce the law. And what doesnt bite you in the butt now, could very well bite you in the butt at your interview. Thats all I was trying to say.

Read peoples time-lines before you take a snap at them..

Edited by coraliesolms

Invictus..

Out of the night that covers me,

Black as the Pit from pole to pole,

I thank whatever gods may be

For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance

I have not winced nor cried aloud.

Under the bludgeonings of chance

My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears

Looms but the Horror of the shade,

And yet the menace of the years

Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,

How charged with punishments the scroll.

I am the master of my fate:

I am the captain of my soul.

William Ernest Henley

Ok, ive calmed down a bit now.. to the OP.. Im just trying to save you the heartache that Ive been through, in thinking this was all going to be over soon.. only for it to draaaag on. I just wanted you to prepare yourself for the fact that this process isnt easy, and it can take a while.

:) Keep the faith though and dont get yourself down or dispair, and at the end of the day, once everyones visas/citizenship is taken care off, you will all be happy!!

Invictus..

William Ernest Henley

Apply for a New Citizenship Card

If your citizenship card is lost or stolen, you can apply to replace it. You can apply from inside Canada or from outside Canada.

To apply, you need to fill out the Application for a Citizenship Certificate (CIT 0001). This application is for Canadian citizens living in Canada who need to apply for a citizenship card as proof of Canadian citizenship. Use this application for a new card or to replace one that was lost, stolen, damaged or destroyed. You also need to submit other documents. See the Instruction Guide and the Document Checklist (CIT 0460) for more information about which documents you need. You also need to pay an application fee - C$75.

Download the application form, document checklist and instruction guide on the Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) website.

If you are inside Canada and you have questions about your application, call the CIC Call Centre at 1-888-242-2100.

I found that on the governments website... hope it helps some :)

Invictus..

William Ernest Henley

Timeline

I'm sorry you've found yourself in such a hard situation Brandon, and I apologize if I came off as harsh. I wish you all the best in resolving your situation. It's always sad to hear when kids are involved and separated from a parent, it definitely makes the situation a lot more urgent.

(((coraliesolms)))

That is a heartbreaking story. I wish you the best as well and admire your perseverance!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I know this is gonna come across like a highjack( cause it kinda is)...but Coralie and I met in Vancouver at our Medicals, and ended up spending the rest of the day together...and we have kept in close contact since... I now live in Washington with my husband, and she is still in BC with her daughter...I can assure you that this woman has the biggest heart, the toughest resolve and the fiercest determination of anyone I have met. And I also know that when she gives advice to people who are desperate to be together...she is giving advice from experience.

I can only imagine how hard it is her her and her husband to deal with this immigration ####### day in and day out...to wake up every morning and wonder how many more mornings until they can wake up together.....

I can promise you one thing...when i get an email or MSN message from her stating she received her Visa...you are gonna hear me whooping it up all over the State of Washington!!!!!!!!

highjack over!!

April 8, 2007- Met on-line playing World of Warcraft...Me a troll he a Tauren

10/11/2008 Married in Lakewood Washington

USCIS

12/08/2008 CR-1/I-130 mailed

12/19/2008 NOA1

03/09/2009 NOA2

03/09/2009 I-130 approved

NVC

03/19/2009 NVC case # generated

09/25/2009 Completed at NVC

01/11/2010 Interview Assigned..flight and hotel booked same day.

01/20/2010 Medical in Vancouver....no issues reported

02/05/2010 Interview in Montreal..APPROVED..with a few tears at the end!!

02/11/2010 POE...Peace Arch or PAC

thm_thm_php8UO03s.jpg

event.png

Punk.. u made me cry... :blush:

Invictus..

William Ernest Henley

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Brandon,

I can understand why you are so upset and it really must feel overwhelming to you right now - but don't let it be. There are concrete steps to be taken here that will help.

- First, I don't know where you live but if you are near a Canadian consulate - I would 100% recommend that you go in there and speak with them. Explain your situation - that you have a wife and Daughter in Canada and you need a travel document. If you are not near a consulate, then do call the nearest consulate.

- Secondly, your wife has not been turned back at the U.S. border yet, so try to relax about that a bit. Your wife should just say what she always naturally says, if she normally says "visiting my Husband" then she should say that. As you mentioned, it has worked for her in the past, they appreciate people who are upfront and honest and i'm sure that is how she has always done it :)

- You haven't mentioned where you are in the CR1 process. Have you already sent in your application? Do you have a Notice of Action? If so, have your wife bring that as well and ensure she is familiar with the process so she can be confident at the border if questioned. She can tell them, we have applied for a CR1 visa, I am not trying to go to the U.S. to reside right now, I wouldn't put my visa in jeopardy and we are doing this the right way.

I hope this helps a bit, hang in there.

Edited by trailmix

Timeline

My daughter was born in Canada to my wife. I accepted parental responsibilities for her meaning, I signed paperwork stating she was my child and she also has my last name. Which makes her an american citizen by default. It was never brought to a Consular. A U.S border officer had told my wife our daughter was U.S citizen by default since I had been living in the states for more than 5 years.

Well I didn't mean lie to them I ment have her say she was going to visit family, if pressed for more then she could clairify what family ment. SHe's never ever had a problem on the U.S side in the past years of visiting me, I just assume there is going to be now, because when problems happen, they seem to happen in packs with me. I don't think I can get a canadian passport until I get my canadian citizenship certificate/card which takes about 10 months from start to finish with no delays. If i go in as a U.S citizen do I have to appy for a wavier on the spot, send out for one? DO I pay the $200 fee and let them stamp my U.S. Passport? What if I want to stay past the 30 days? This whole process is stressing me out, I'm about ready to just say **** it and sell all my possessions go up as a U.S citizen have them stamp it and get my paperwork done there and just live up there. I love my country being Us first, but with all these issues and anxiety, I'd rather just live up there. My daughters already 3 and I can't keep putting my family through this mess.

Hi Brandon,

Something you can do in the meantime is to get your daughter's birth officially recognized. Since she is your daughter born in Canada you need to register her birth abroad at the Consulate - or make arrangements for her birth to be registered if you are not able to get to the Consulate.

Here is a link of the process involved. It will eventually have to be done to bring your daughter to the US permanently as they won't issue a visa to a US citizen and you will need to prove her citizenship. They don't just take your word for it, they do require proof that you have registered her birth appropriately. So - something you can do for your daughter that will help ease the process for all of you a little bit down the road. http://travel.state....erseas_703.html.

Also, pursue your proof of Canadian citizenship as well - it might be ten months but it may come faster and you will find it of use regardless for future travel to Canada to visit your wife's friends and family members. It is good to have proof of both of your citizenships. Ten months is going to pass whether you do this or don't do this, so since they are going to pass regardless, you might as well let them process the document while they are passing. You may need to choose other options in the meantime to visit but worse case scenario is that you will be separated only for the length of time it take to process that document.

You are lucky that you do have the option of going to Canada and staying if that is what you choose to do instead. You will definitely need your proof of citizenship for that but you can apply while in Canada and wait for the process there. If you and your wife later decide to return to the US, you can file for the IR-1 from within Canada using the Direct Consular Filing option. The only real headache with that is that you would need to have a US based source of income or a co-sponsor, and show how you have re-established domicile in the US - but you can look at those issues in the future.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.