Brandon187

Need knowledgeable U.S/Canadian About Border Crossing

28 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

So I'm in the process of getting my canadian wife her cr1 visa. But that's not my issue. I have a few questions I'm hoping some very knowledgeable U.S and Canadian citizens with border crossing experience can help me out.

I am a Dual citizen. I was born American but my mother got us citizenship for Canada. I got a DUI conviction in 02/03 here in the states. Will I have issues at the Canadian border? Being a Canada citizen they can't deny me entry right? The problem is I also only have photo copies of canadian citizenship card which is so old when I was like 8. I do have my SIN.

My wife is Canadian and wants to visit me in a week. She has no lease with her apt,she can get a bank statement. She has more than enough funds for the visit. She has only been back in Canada 2 1/2 months. ALl her family lives there. Does she have enough ties to her home country to not have any issues? On the way back into Canada last time when they asked how long she was here she said 4 mths and they grilled her (the canadian border) Is that going to effect things on the U.S side? We are trying to work out some problems in our relationship which happened back in Feb. I know it's probably not wise for her to lie to the U.S border officers, but I don't want her to get grilled for being married to me and have them think she's going to defect here. She bought a round trip ticket for herself but a one way for our daughter(it was cheaper) I'm going to buy my daughters ticket and mine back up.

We are trying to get a cr1 visa, with spending next to no time apart between both countries. Is that going to be difficult?

I'd really appreciate anyone who can help with this situation. Thank you in advance.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

WOuld do better to post this in the canada forum.

NEVER lie to the border patrol officers! Answer the questions they ask, don't add extra to it unless they ask about it specifically.

Are you using a US passport to enter canada? or a Canadian passport?

Ties to canada would be her bringing a letter from employer stating when she has to be back for work, utillity bills, return tickets,lease agreements etc. IF you have NOA from your CR-1 she can bring that to show you are going about the legal way to get there. Bring anything and everything she can use/find as a tie to canada - just having family here doesnt work.

They can choose to let her in or not, its really up to them.

Not sure if photocopys are going to help you, a SIN means nothing at the border really. Its all down to passport and picture ID.

Im sure more will chime in with more info/better info for you! but please do check the canadian section

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

~*Moved from Off Topic to the Canada Forum.*~

~*Relationship Info In Profile And Fiance(e) Visa/Adjustment of Status/Removal Of Conditions Info In My Timeline*~

Looking for your favourite Canadian foods that you can't find in the US?

Try this site! http://www.canadianfavourites.com/

Timeline

~*Moved from Off Topic to the Canada Forum.*~

yayy thanks rhianner, im glad it got moved before the OT thread showed its grizly teeth.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I got a DUI conviction in 02/03 here in the states. Will I have issues at the Canadian border? Being a Canada citizen they can't deny me entry right? The problem is I also only have photo copies of canadian citizenship card which is so old when I was like 8. I do have my SIN.

Yes they can deny you entry if you do not have the proper documents to prove your Canadian citizenship. While I seriously doubt they would deny any Canadian entry in to their own country - if you do not have valid documents to prove that - then in their eyes you may not be considered a citizen, if you know what I mean. A photocopy is not really good enough and the SIN is also not enough. I would recommend you get a Canadian passport or at the very least a new Canadian Citizenship Card.

She has only been back in Canada 2 1/2 months. ALl her family lives there. Does she have enough ties to her home country to not have any issues? On the way back into Canada last time when they asked how long she was here she said 4 mths and they grilled her (the canadian border) Is that going to effect things on the U.S side? We are trying to work out some problems in our relationship which happened back in Feb. I know it's probably not wise for her to lie to the U.S border officers, but I don't want her to get grilled for being married to me and have them think she's going to defect here. She bought a round trip ticket for herself but a one way for our daughter(it was cheaper) I'm going to buy my daughters ticket and mine back up.

It's very wise not to lie. The personnel at the border are trained to detect when people are lying. If they catch her in a lie she can be banned from visiting the U.S. for a period of time and it could also complicate her visa. If she gets caught, how will she answer to that when she is at her visa interview?

Her proof of ties to Canada are pretty weak, if she does get questioned, on the U.S. side, in my opinion.

I have no idea why the Canadian border personnel 'grilled' her when entering back in to Canada, doesn't make much sense.

We are trying to get a cr1 visa, with spending next to no time apart between both countries. Is that going to be difficult?

Maybe, maybe not. Border crossing for your wife, in to the U.S. may prove to be more challenging or may not, it is 100% up to the border guard on the day. As for you visiting Canada - that's a piece of cake - get your proper documents and you are good to visit!

Edited by trailmix

Timeline

I got a DUI conviction in 02/03 here in the states. Will I have issues at the Canadian border? Being a Canada citizen they can't deny me entry right? The problem is I also only have photo copies of canadian citizenship card which is so old when I was like 8. I do have my SIN.

Yes they can deny you entry if you do not have the proper documents to prove your Canadian citizenship. While I seriously doubt they would deny any Canadian entry in to their own country - if you do not have valid documents to prove that - then in their eyes you may not be considered a citizen, if you know what I mean. A photocopy is not really good enough and the SIN is also not enough. I would recommend you get a Canadian passport or at the very least a new Canadian Citizenship Card.

She has only been back in Canada 2 1/2 months. ALl her family lives there. Does she have enough ties to her home country to not have any issues? On the way back into Canada last time when they asked how long she was here she said 4 mths and they grilled her (the canadian border) Is that going to effect things on the U.S side? We are trying to work out some problems in our relationship which happened back in Feb. I know it's probably not wise for her to lie to the U.S border officers, but I don't want her to get grilled for being married to me and have them think she's going to defect here. She bought a round trip ticket for herself but a one way for our daughter(it was cheaper) I'm going to buy my daughters ticket and mine back up.

It's very wise not to lie. The personnel at the border are trained to detect when people are lying. If they catch her in a lie she can be banned from visiting the U.S. for a period of time and it could also complicate her visa. If she gets caught, how will she answer to that when she is at her visa interview?

Her proof of ties to Canada are pretty weak, if she does get questioned, on the U.S. side, in my opinion.

I have no idea why the Canadian border personnel 'grilled' her when entering back in to Canada, doesn't make much sense.

Maybe, maybe not. Border crossing for your wife, in to the U.S. may prove to be more challenging or may not, it is 100% up to the border guard on the day. As for you visiting Canada - that's a piece of cake - get your proper documents and you are good to visit!

Thanks for moving my topic , also thanks for everyone's fast responses.

How do I go about getting or renewing my canadian citizenship card. Would I still have to pay that $200 fee for a 30 day pass for DUI even though I'm a citizen?

She told the Canadian border officer when asked how long she was here 4 mths and they took her to another room and interrogated her about the marriage the time she spent here and they went through all her belongings. Then asked questions about me because she had an sd card with pics of us, christmas and stuff and one was of when we went shooting or plinking off rounds and they asked why I had a gun and if I was in law enforcement.

How about if he just gives limited info, like I'm going to see my mother-in-law. That's not a lie she will be seeing her as well. Or how about family and friends, that's the truth also. I don't want her to say, I'm going to see my husband because I know they will flag her for just saying that. Is it ok to tell part truths? just exclude some of the info?

She's never had a problem coming into the U.S ever, I just don't want to have one now. Especially because she only has a one way for my daughter. Also last time she went back, I had to have a letter notarized she had permission to even take her into Canada. And with the passport thing, it just seems they have been harsher than ever before. She's been coming back and forth for years. No issues until this last time. From her border. Does that grilling mean she's been flagged for both sides?

Timeline

Still can't picture why the Cdn border would grill her coming back into her own country. I can certainly see that you will have to give a permission letter no matter when your daughter travels uhnless you are both with her. This will continue until she's an adult. The border patrol has to question about a child travelling with just 1 parent just in case it's abduction.

Your wife and daughter both have Cdn passports I assume? I agree with the previous posters that she doesn't have strong ties and could be easily questioned and turned back at the border until she gets some....if she has a job, a letter from an amployer is good evidence.

Is it ok to tell part truths? just exclude some of the info?

Dude....Why mess with them - she should tell the truth and state facts...they'll probably ask where her husband lives in the course of questioning and it will come out anyway. No one is going to recommend you 'lie by omission'

Edited by Udella&Wiz

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

The risk of getting caught in a lie and banned from the States from any amount of time is truly not worth it.

It is common for the Canadian border patrols to ask where she has been and for how long, the value of any goods she has brought back, etc, but "grilled" is more than most of us have seen. Perhaps give a little more insight into what went on there. Did something she say possibly trigger a concern?

01/08/2010 - Applied for SSN in maiden name.

01/09/2010 - Married! Officially a Missis.

01/19/2010 - Received SSN in mail.

02/10/2010 - Sent I-485/I-131/I-765 to Chicago.

02/19/2010 - NOA dates for all applications.

02/22/2010 - Received NOAs in mail.

02/23/2010 - Applied for SSN for married name.

03/04/2010 - Applied for Florida DL in married name.

03/09/2010 - Biometrics appointment.

04/18/2010 - AP received.

04/23/2010 - EAD approved.

04/27/2010 - AOS Interview at Orlando USCIS (decision pending).

04/28/2010 - Card production ordered!

05/03/2010 - EAD received.

05/03/2010 - Welcome letter received.

05/28/2010 - Green Card received in mail.

01/26/2012 - Mailed RoC packet to VSC.

01/30/2012 - NOA date on application.

02/01/2012 - Cheque cashed.

02/05/2012 - Received NOA in mail.

02/10/2012 - Touch.

02/24/2012 - ASC Appointment Notice dated.

02/27/2012 - ASC Appointment Notice received.

03/23/2012 - Biometrics appointment.

09/20/2012 - Touch. Card Production ordered!

09/21/2012 - Touch.

09/24/2012 - Touch. Card mailed.

Timeline

The thought that comes to my mind about why your wife was grilled is that maybe they were trying to determine if your mutual intent was for you to move to Canada and seeing if they could be proactive by questioning her about your intentions? She might, inadvertently, have given them the impression that the two of you wanted to live in Canada and they were trying to determine if that were the possibility or not.

Regardless, as a Canadian citizen no - you will not have to pay the $200 fee for the 30 day pass. You do need proof of your Canadian citizenship, though, and you would show that to enter Canada. They cannot deny you. You can tell them that you are a dual Canadian - American citizen living in the US coming to visit your wife, and you are going through the immigration process for her to move to the US. Here is a link to how to obtain proof of your citizenship: http://www.cic.gc.ca...ship/proof.asp. It may take a few months, however, so be prepared for that delay. When you return to the US, you show them your US passport (and yes, you need a passport or one of the listed approved border crossing documents).

Your wife should not lie by omission. By saying she is going to see her 'mother in law' the next obvious question is 'where is your husband' and she definitely can't lie. Then they will ask, why are you not going to see your husband, and she can't lie. So they will then ask, why didn't you say you were going to see your husband? And she is already guilty in their mind of misrepresenting the truth so you have to stick to the absolute truth. Not doing so will cause a lot more hassle and problem than doing so, especially in the greater picture.

If the 'truth' seems somewhat condemning, then add additional information to help make it more palatable. So - she is coming to visit her husband for a specific period of time (ie. 3 months or whatever you have with the return ticket) while waiting for the CR-1 visa paperwork to be processed. Have her include a copy of the visa paperwork - and keep it up to date with NOAs and receipts - and have that to show the border that she is pursuing the proper immigration course. Make sure the daughter's paperwork is included as well. Provide them with the information that will help reassure them that she isn't an immigration risk at this time.

Regarding the one way ticket for the daughter - have a print out showing that the return flight for the date her mother is returning would be more expensive than buying a one way return flight as proof for your stated reason of buying her a one way ticket. Realize that every statement you or she makes at the border can and probably will be subject to 'proof' so be prepared with the proof before you get there. The better prepared and knowledgeable you are about the process and the more documentation/evidence you have to prove your statements, the easier it will be for the border officials of both countries to 'let you in for the visit'.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

The risk of getting caught in a lie and banned from the States from any amount of time is truly not worth it.

It is common for the Canadian border patrols to ask where she has been and for how long, the value of any goods she has brought back, etc, but "grilled" is more than most of us have seen. Perhaps give a little more insight into what went on there. Did something she say possibly trigger a concern?

I don't know if I'd call it a "grilling", but the last time I came back to Canada from the US (on my last visit prior to getting my K-1) Canadian customs pulled me into secondary, went through my suitcase and did a cursory search of the photos on my laptop. It was more scrutiny than I've ever received from US Customs, even when I PoE'd a few months later. [At PoE the border officer took an hour and a half going through my file, and asked a pointed question or two about why my fiancee wasn't with me and my relationship with her parents, but didn't look in any of my stuff at all.]

DON'T PANIC

"It says wonderful things about the two countries [Canada and the US] that neither one feels itself being inundated by each other's immigrants."

-Douglas Coupland

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I don't know if I'd call it a "grilling", but the last time I came back to Canada from the US (on my last visit prior to getting my K-1) Canadian customs pulled me into secondary, went through my suitcase and did a cursory search of the photos on my laptop. It was more scrutiny than I've ever received from US Customs, even when I PoE'd a few months later. [At PoE the border officer took an hour and a half going through my file, and asked a pointed question or two about why my fiancee wasn't with me and my relationship with her parents, but didn't look in any of my stuff at all.]

I'd call that a grilling and I think it's really weird.

Then again I suppose, to their minds, Canadian citizens are no more or less suspicion worthy than anyone else on the planet.

I think the difference between entering the U.S. and being grilled is the extra added bonus that you may not be able to enter the country. At least when our own border patrol grills you - you then get to carry on to wherever you were going.

Edited by trailmix

Timeline

I take great joy in the fact that it obviously bugged the snot out of him that I was as clean as a whistle :lol:

DON'T PANIC

"It says wonderful things about the two countries [Canada and the US] that neither one feels itself being inundated by each other's immigrants."

-Douglas Coupland

I told a lie by ommision at the border...ITS NOT WORTH IT...here I am 3.5 years later in AP with my visitors visa cancelled...tell the whole truth or dont cross at all. Your DUI will have no bearing on you entering canada if you have a canadian passport. The cant keep citizens out of their own country.

That being said, dont bank on "next to no time apart". This is a long arduous process that we all had to go through. I know its not easy, and its very frustrating. But spending too much time with eachother can also give you issues at your interview. I know one woman who was grilled at her interview, the CO kept saying "the CR visa is for re-unification.. ". You dont want to do anything that will put you in the position where you have to prove domicile at your interview...its no fun.

Invictus..

Out of the night that covers me,

Black as the Pit from pole to pole,

I thank whatever gods may be

For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance

I have not winced nor cried aloud.

Under the bludgeonings of chance

My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears

Looms but the Horror of the shade,

And yet the menace of the years

Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,

How charged with punishments the scroll.

I am the master of my fate:

I am the captain of my soul.

William Ernest Henley

Timeline

Is your daughter an American citizen by any chance? I only ask because you refer to her specifically as "our daughter", so if she is a US citizen, then her entry isn't in question. She could come and stay as long as she wants, a one way ticket wouldn't matter. Just a thought.

I really have nothing else to add except to agree that lying is absolutely not worth it. If she gets caught in a lie and ends up with a ban, what good does that do? It is much better to be denied entry now, then to be banned for years, preventing her from visiting at all, and perhaps jeopardizing her visa application. Separation sucks, we all know that, but sometimes it's inevitable. With her weak ties to Canada and her intent to stay for months at a time it may eventually cause her a problem, nobody can say for sure.

Timeline

Is your daughter an American citizen by any chance? I only ask because you refer to her specifically as "our daughter", so if she is a US citizen, then her entry isn't in question. She could come and stay as long as she wants, a one way ticket wouldn't matter. Just a thought.

I really have nothing else to add except to agree that lying is absolutely not worth it. If she gets caught in a lie and ends up with a ban, what good does that do? It is much better to be denied entry now, then to be banned for years, preventing her from visiting at all, and perhaps jeopardizing her visa application. Separation sucks, we all know that, but sometimes it's inevitable. With her weak ties to Canada and her intent to stay for months at a time it may eventually cause her a problem, nobody can say for sure.

My daughter was born in Canada to my wife. I accepted parental responsibilities for her meaning, I signed paperwork stating she was my child and she also has my last name. Which makes her an american citizen by default. It was never brought to a Consular. A U.S border officer had told my wife our daughter was U.S citizen by default since I had been living in the states for more than 5 years.

Well I didn't mean lie to them I ment have her say she was going to visit family, if pressed for more then she could clairify what family ment. SHe's never ever had a problem on the U.S side in the past years of visiting me, I just assume there is going to be now, because when problems happen, they seem to happen in packs with me. I don't think I can get a canadian passport until I get my canadian citizenship certificate/card which takes about 10 months from start to finish with no delays. If i go in as a U.S citizen do I have to appy for a wavier on the spot, send out for one? DO I pay the $200 fee and let them stamp my U.S. Passport? What if I want to stay past the 30 days? This whole process is stressing me out, I'm about ready to just say **** it and sell all my possessions go up as a U.S citizen have them stamp it and get my paperwork done there and just live up there. I love my country being Us first, but with all these issues and anxiety, I'd rather just live up there. My daughters already 3 and I can't keep putting my family through this mess.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.