stayinginformed

Japan Address Question koseki/honseki

6 posts in this topic

First off, I am new to the forum, and have been surfing around here most of the day.

My wife and I were married on the 19th of March 2010. We are going to start on the immigration process soon. We have been living together since November of 2008 but I am living in subsidized teacher housing with only my name on the lease. She continued using her parents address for all of her mail. Her koseki/honseki are in her parents city. I am going to be leaving Japan and going back to America in August 2010, so she is not planning on changing her koseki to my city--the hassle is not worth the four months that it would be there only to have to change it back. So should I put her address as my house or as her parents house on the paperwork?

I hope this makes sense.

First Date: March 19, 2006

Moved in together November: 2008

Married: March 19, 2010

I-130: April 19, 2010

Medical Check: April 19, 2010

First off, I am new to the forum, and have been surfing around here most of the day.

My wife and I were married on the 19th of March 2010. We are going to start on the immigration process soon. We have been living together since November of 2008 but I am living in subsidized teacher housing with only my name on the lease. She continued using her parents address for all of her mail. Her koseki/honseki are in her parents city. I am going to be leaving Japan and going back to America in August 2010, so she is not planning on changing her koseki to my city--the hassle is not worth the four months that it would be there only to have to change it back. So should I put her address as my house or as her parents house on the paperwork?

I hope this makes sense.

OK, I believe what you mean by honseki is actually a current address on her jumin-hyo.

Honseki is a permanent address (domicile) and the address on jumin-hyo is a current street address so to speak.

Her permanent address is nothing to do with the paperwork.

You just need to put whatever address she can receive mails from USCIS/US embassy in Japan.

If I were you, I would list her parents' place as her address.

Immigration Process (DCF Japan)

08/06/2008 I-130 petition at Tokyo, Japan

08/13/2008 I-130 approved

|

| Waited until we were ready to move back

|

07/13/2009 IV interview at Tokyo, Japan

07/15/2009 IV(IR-1) in hand

Post-DCF

07/29/2009 POE at Las Vegas

08/17/2009 GC(10yrs) received

Click here for the detailed timeline.

Done with USCIS until

- naturalization in May 2012 or

- GC replacement in February 2019

CXmLm7.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Agreed with above. However, you need to have proof that you two are a real couple. You need to have as much proof as possible to show that you two are married because you want to be married to each other and not for a GC. One of the ways that most of us DCF-ers do that is by proving that we live with our husband/wife. If her name is not on the lease that's not a problem, but she still needs SOME sort of proof that she lives there. We live with my husbands aunt. So neither one of our names is on the lease! But both of us get mail at this address (a credit card bill addressed to him, bank statments addressed to him, bank statements addressed to me, ect ect). All of this mail shows both of our names and the SAME address. Therefore proving that we live together. If you don't actual live together (or even if you do, if you don't have proof of it) then you better have LOTS of other proof that your married is true. Since you've only been married since last month as well that might also be a red flag on your case. I know the rules say you can apply the day after your wedding -and you can!- but the officer that looks at your case definitely has a right to question you about it. I'm not saying you WILL have problems because of the two of you not living together (or at least not having proof that you live together) just that you COULD and you need to be prepared to explain why. And have lots of other proof.

For example, the officer that processed our I-130 didn't even look at the mountains of proof we had. He just asked us a couple questions and told us he believed us. He said to bring the proof to the interview just in case the other consular wanted to see it, and that was that. Although he did question us about why my husband was divorced only 2 weeks before we were married. Once we explained to him that he filed for the divorce 3 years prior to that and that (as we were sure he knew) the Brazilian gov't is slow as anything, he said...yes, I understand and that was that. Just be prepared.

If it's not that big of a deal (and if you are lacking other concrete proof), I'd change her address to yours just so you can have that evidence. Be aware that pictures from the wedding are good, but NOT actual concrete proof. Good luck.

N-400 Naturalization Process

June 25, 2013 --Qualified for Citizenship!

October 12, 2017 --Electronically filed

October 13, 2017 --NOA1

October 31, 2017 --Biometrics Appointment -ATL

ROC

April 5, 2012 --Sent I-751 to Vermont Service Center

May 21, 2012 --Biometric Appointment at ATL office

December 12, 2012 --10 year Green Card in hand

DCF Process

October 10, 2009 --Married in São Paulo

January 14, 2010 --Filed I-130 at São Paulo Consulate for DCF

May 17, 2010 --VISA IN HAND!

June 24, 2010 --POE in Atlanta

So maybe I should have her change a few of her bills over to my address. Is the proof needed when you turn in the initial I-130? If so, our appointment to turn it in is April 19th, and I am not sure any bills with the new address will come by then.

First Date: March 19, 2006

Moved in together November: 2008

Married: March 19, 2010

I-130: April 19, 2010

Medical Check: April 19, 2010

Yes, they will want your proof when you drop off your I-130. It even says it on the checklist they provide you with when you check in for your appointment. Our proof was our rent contract from the first time we moved in together to our most recent contract. Find anything you can to prove you two have been living together, but to be honest I don't think they checked ours too thoroughly. I think the fact that we got married the same month that we turned in our I-130 (last month, actually) was a read flag because they asked "Why did you get married?" But we provides lots of evidence of us visiting each others families in America and the UK, congrats cards from when we got engaged in 2008, etc. as well as our first and last months rent contract (which the checker dude promptly shoved aside, all my hard work!)

I agree that you should put her address as wherever she wants her stuff mailed to. I don't think the US government cares about a honseki.

Good luck, we are here if you need us!

Edited by kristinakiko

10-25-07: Met in Tokyo at a party

11-01-07: I like you. Do you like me? Let's get together!

04-??-08: Moved in together

09-??-08: He proposed!

03-08-10: Got married in Tokyo at the ward office (just the two of us)

03-22-10: I-130 appointment in Tokyo

04-14-10: I-130 cleared, received letter in mail

06-07-10: Final interview... Approved!

06-08-10: CR-1 Visa and mysterious brown envelope of power received... they are fast!

09-30-10: POE at LAX. That official sure was rude!

10-20-10: Received Permanent Residency card (w/conditions).

10-30-10: Wedding in front of family and friends in Los Angeles

11-15-10: Moved to San Francisco

07-??-12: Applied to remove conditions on green card

12-27-12: Moved to Los Angeles

03-07-13: ROC approved!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Yes, changing some of our bills over would be a good idea, but as you said it might not be enough time before your interview. At our I-130 appointment (in Brazil) the consular didn't look at our evidence at all. We had pay slips going back from 2005 showing we worked at the same place in London, rental contacts with our names from London, Italy and Brazil going back to 2007 and a whole bunch of other stuff (copies of wedding invites and congrats cards, letters with our addresses being the same, letters to him from my parents ect ect) and he didn't even look at it. He said that he believed us and so didn't need to see our evidence, but to make sure we bring it all to Rio in case the officer their wants to see it.

You really need evidence JUST in case. Maybe they wont look at it, maybe they wont even ask to see it, but you need it just in case!

N-400 Naturalization Process

June 25, 2013 --Qualified for Citizenship!

October 12, 2017 --Electronically filed

October 13, 2017 --NOA1

October 31, 2017 --Biometrics Appointment -ATL

ROC

April 5, 2012 --Sent I-751 to Vermont Service Center

May 21, 2012 --Biometric Appointment at ATL office

December 12, 2012 --10 year Green Card in hand

DCF Process

October 10, 2009 --Married in São Paulo

January 14, 2010 --Filed I-130 at São Paulo Consulate for DCF

May 17, 2010 --VISA IN HAND!

June 24, 2010 --POE in Atlanta

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.