MeggyMo

What am I waiting for exactly?

10 posts in this topic

Hey guys

This might be a completely dumb question but it has been 5 days since we got the text saying our petition was approved.

How do we find out if the NVC received it and all that jazz?

Thanks

Filed I-751: December 29 2012
Rec NOA1: January 7 2013
Biometrics:January 25 2013

Green card approved: June 17 2013
OH CANADA OH CANADA YOU ARE SO FINE. OH CANADA OH CANADA YOU BLOW MY MIND

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Call the NVC to find out your NVC Case #. NVC Phone#: 603-334-0700

When calling, press 2 (for non-Haiti related case), 1 for English, 5 for an operator. Then you will be placed on hold.

Have your WAC number ready. Your beneficiary's DOB and name, and your DOB and name. Emails for both and your phone #.

Слава Україні!

--------------------
Full Timeline

chimpanzee.jpg

Ahh thank you so very much!

I was sitting here kinda going nuts thinking we should have heard something by now but I will definitely give them a call tomorrow morning and find out what's going on with our case!

Thanks again:)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

You're going to get a busy signal on most attempts, but don't let that discourage you.

Early morning or late night (until about midnight EST) is the best time to call

Слава Україні!

--------------------
Full Timeline

chimpanzee.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Ahh thank you so very much!

I was sitting here kinda going nuts thinking we should have heard something by now but I will definitely give them a call tomorrow morning and find out what's going on with our case!

Thanks again:)

Just to be clear, there's nothing wrong with your case and you're not delayed. The next thing that happens is that your petition will be sent to the embassy in Canada. The beneficiary (Canadian citizen) will then get a letter called "Packet 3" which will tell him/her what to get ready for the interview. Once you get Packet 3, you can reply to it and then be given an interview date.

Ok fantastic I will for sure do that tomorrow.

Umm I am the beneficiary can I still make the phone call to inquire about our case or does the USC have to make this phone call?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Ok fantastic I will for sure do that tomorrow.

Umm I am the beneficiary can I still make the phone call to inquire about our case or does the USC have to make this phone call?

Nope, anyone can make this call. The NVC can tell you if they got the application and if they sent it to the Canadian embassy, but the most important thing about calling the NVC is getting your case number (it'll start with three letters). You'll need this case number to get the status of your application later on.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

The USC will also get a letter in the mail from NVC soon that says they received your approved petition, your case number is xxxx whatever, and that they are sending your petition on to the Embassy where you will be having your interview. Mine came a little over a week after NOA2.

Edited by katie & sifa

K-1
09/09/09 - NOA1 :: 10/20/09 - NOA2 :: 01/11/10 - Interview :: 02/24/10 - POE :: 04/10/10 - Wedding

AOS
05/17/10 - NOA :: 06/08/10 - Transferred to CSC :: 07/02/10 - Biometrics :: 07/16/10 - EAD/AP Approved :: 10/26/10 - AOS Approved

ROC
08/16/12 - NOA :: 09/13/12 - Biometrics :: 04/12/13 - Approved :: 04/19/13 - GC received

Naturalization
08/22/13 - NOA :: 09/20/13 - Biometrics :: 01/30/14 - Interview - Approved :: 02/27/14 - Oath

Thanks so much everyone!

I am making the call right now.

Fingers crossed :thumbs:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

When our K-1 had just been approved (January 7, 2009), my USC now-wife got the NOA2, then 2 weeks later (Jan 21) she got a letter from the NVC confirming that they had received the approved petition, and were forwarding it to the consulate in Vancouver. That was the last thing she received from the whole visa process. 1 week later I received Packet 3 from the Vancouver consulate, and from then until PoE, I was the one doing all of the dealing with the consulate.

It's only been a week yet, so there's no need to worry yet. Your NVC letter will probably be another week or so, with your Canadian half receiving the Packet 3 (the visa application forms from the consulate) about a week after that. No need to pester the NVC yet. Everything seems to be going just fine. :)

Now if neither of you has heard anything after another month, that's when you can start worrying. But for now, you can relax a little. Step 1 (the petition) is done. You get a little break before beginning Step 2 (the visa application). Fortunately the timeline for Step 2 is much more under your control, especially if you're going through Vancouver - Montreal still has that interview backlog delay, I think. The other nice advantage of the visa application step is that you get to deal with the consulate directly if you have any questions. I found Vancouver to be very prompt and helpful when responding to email questions about the application process.

[FYI: The 5 Steps of the K-1 visa journey:

Step 1: Begins when you send in the I-129F packet, ends when one of you gets PAcket 3.

Step 2: Begins when you send in the Packet 3 checklist, ends when you receive the passport with visa, and the sealed envelope packet.

Step 3: Begins when you hand the visa and sealed packet to the PoE officer, ends when you receive a GC and an unrestricted SSC.

<21 month break. Yay!>

Step 4: Begins when you send in the I-751 packet. Ends when you receive a 10-year GC.

Step 5: Begins when you send in the naturalization packet. ends when you receive a naturalization certificate and a US passport.]

DON'T PANIC

"It says wonderful things about the two countries [Canada and the US] that neither one feels itself being inundated by each other's immigrants."

-Douglas Coupland

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.