VanessaTony

Australian Passport & Name Change process

66 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Thanks LynJer!

I believe the change has come about due to people changing their names in an attempt to hide from debt. Now the rest of us get to pay for it.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Thanks LynJer!

I believe the change has come about due to people changing their names in an attempt to hide from debt. Now the rest of us get to pay for it.

Well yes you would think that...but from what I was told off a GOVT official dealing in this stuff, they did it as a result of a large underworld crime syndicate that was established out of the Asian countries....no idea how that correlates to only Women having to go through this exercise everytime we marry overseas - but whatever.... Apparently it was only recently that the Consulates had the ability to read USA marriage certificates and USA Govt issued ID, Im buggered as to why they cant do that anymore....

anyway....I will keep you posted as to what occurs next....

PS....the entire process is even harder should you have had any criminal record on file....or youve got a court appearance due for what ever reason....(even family court) a complete credit history on names previously used and the one you use now was just the minimum....

:bonk:

Timeline

Update on the above....I thought I would include the costs involved.

You will need to get your identifying papers photocopied and get a notary to sign them stamped with the true and certified copy notice...but here in the USA the law states that the Notary has to photocopy the required documents himself. So an extra 15c per copy. Therefore, Photocopying and 2 notary seals, plus a witness of my signature on the VIC BDM form. = $12 I got all this done at the local UPS store

Postage to Vic - UPS Express - I need this URGENTLY FOR WORK..= $68.00

Aussie Consulate in Washington DC gave me their fax number and an email address, to include with my notes to Vic BDM. They told me to write a written request to BDM to either email or fax the new birth certificate through to DC from Melbourne which will allow Consulate to start processing my passport expediting the proceedure significantly. But, they wont start until you submit your PC8 application along with required documentation and MONEY to DC first. (saves waiting 7 days for the Birth Cert to be posted back to USA) VIC BDM charges $10 extra for the fax. You must request this in your explanation notes to BDM. Consulate suggests you ask BDM to notify you before they fax the certificate so you can then organize your money and passport form to them so that it all gets to embassy together....(im too scared to ask BDM to do that for fear they'll charge again)

Vic BDM charge $93 for the processing of a change in name + $80 extra if you need it processed in 5 working days compared to 30 days? then $26.50 for the new birth certificate, and another $14 for the postage of the certificate back to the USA.

Aussie Consulate/embassy love to charge as well. The new passport is going to cost me around another $235 and 10 days to process. Or pay an extra $108 and it will be ready in 2 days. The consulate mentioned they could post it out or I can drive down and pick it up...by the time they said $15 bucks extra for postage, I think I was going into cardiac arrest, over the whole expensive exercise.

Mind you if you get your passport changed within 12 mths of marrying there is still no $235 charge. - at this stage - I wonder how much longer that offer will last

I would strongly advise everyone to try and AVOID ALL THIS, If you can. Not sure how, but If the Vic BDM doesnt recognize the USA marriage cert...then maybe you can get re-married in Australia next your visiting... or simply dont change your name to your husbands!

btw...I just tracked my documents with the 68 buck express postage with UPS and they have arrived in Hawaii as of 1pm today...not bad for posting them at 6pm last night....being that its a 9 hour flight from Hawaii to Melbourne....I doubt they will arrive in time for Vic BDM COB Friday arvo :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I recently did my name change and got a new passport (gratis because it was within one year of marriage). I found it a super-easy process. I got all my documents notarized for free at my bank, and I supplied the photocopies myself. A law that states that the notary must photocopy documents themselves would be a state law, so it depends on which state you are in whether you can supply the photocopies yourself or if the notary must do it.

Vic BDM had no issue with my US marriage certificate and sent me my new birth certificate very fast, even without the extra processing fee. They must have done it as soon as they received it as I got it back in the mail about 2 weeks after I sent everything to Victoria.

Then I sent all the required documents (they had to be originals) to the Australian Embassy in Washington DC with the passport request form. They were also super-fast as I received the new passport back within a week. It only cost me the $15 courier fee.

I found the whole process very straightforward and fast when compared with the K-1/green card process. To women who are deliberating whether to change their name, and are nervous about the process, it's not hard at all. Definitely do it within 1 year of marriage to get that free passport! And I don't think it's legal to get remarried in Australia if you are already married.

Timeline

I recently did my name change and got a new passport (gratis because it was within one year of marriage). I found it a super-easy process. I got all my documents notarized for free at my bank, and I supplied the photocopies myself. A law that states that the notary must photocopy documents themselves would be a state law, so it depends on which state you are in whether you can supply the photocopies yourself or if the notary must do it.

Vic BDM had no issue with my US marriage certificate and sent me my new birth certificate very fast, even without the extra processing fee. They must have done it as soon as they received it as I got it back in the mail about 2 weeks after I sent everything to Victoria.

Then I sent all the required documents (they had to be originals) to the Australian Embassy in Washington DC with the passport request form. They were also super-fast as I received the new passport back within a week. It only cost me the $15 courier fee.

I found the whole process very straightforward and fast when compared with the K-1/green card process. To women who are deliberating whether to change their name, and are nervous about the process, it's not hard at all. Definitely do it within 1 year of marriage to get that free passport! And I don't think it's legal to get remarried in Australia if you are already married.

As you did yours recently, would you mind a little run down of your process? What you included etc? It's been about 2 years since i did mine and i completely forgot to write it down (though I was in Aus at the time 'cause my dad was sick so it was easier than from here). Thanks in advance!

Also, I don't believe LynJer meant to write that Vic BDM don't recognise the US marriage cert, I believe she meant that the Aussie passport office doesn't. If they did we wouldn't need a name change and oh my wouldn't that be easier!!

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

As you did yours recently, would you mind a little run down of your process? What you included etc? It's been about 2 years since i did mine and i completely forgot to write it down (though I was in Aus at the time 'cause my dad was sick so it was easier than from here). Thanks in advance!

Also, I don't believe LynJer meant to write that Vic BDM don't recognise the US marriage cert, I believe she meant that the Aussie passport office doesn't. If they did we wouldn't need a name change and oh my wouldn't that be easier!!

Sure thing. I'll dig out my notes and put something together. I think that every state has it's own slightly different procedures for name changes, it it will depend on the state each person was born in.

I did have to send my US marriage certificate to Victorian BDM as a justification for why I was changing my name, that's what I thought Lynjer was referring to. I agree it would be so much easier if the Australian embassy would accept foreign marriage certificates! But I guess they have their reasons.

How to change your name and get a new Australian passport in the US by mail

Step 1: Change your name with your birth state's BDM

For Australian citizens born in Australia but married overseas, to get a new passport in your married name while you are in the US, you must first change your name with the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages in the state you were born.

For Victorians:

You can get the form here:

http://www.bdm.vic.gov.au/home/change+of+name/adult+change+of+name+application+form

You can pay the fee (currently $98.50) via credit card by filling in the form.

If you need it fast you can pay an additional $80 prio

Edited by Lainie B

OK that's really frustrating, I spent about an hour writing step by step instructions on the process and now most of my post has disappeared. I must have accidentally deleted them when I made an edit. I'll do a new post later. Grrr...

Timeline

OK that's really frustrating, I spent about an hour writing step by step instructions on the process and now most of my post has disappeared. I must have accidentally deleted them when I made an edit. I'll do a new post later. Grrr...

The same thing used to happen to me a lot! Now I use Mozilla Firefox as my browser and have an add-on called "Lazarus" which saves what I type (a set number of posts but still) so when it happens to me I can "resurrect" my post. Has saved me (or rather my sanity) more than once!

• 1 year later...
Timeline

Ahem. Resurrecting this ol' thread because it was exactly what I needed after countless fruitless Google searches.

I went home (Australia) for almost three weeks in December, and what I realised is that this takes a whole lot of time to do and effort (and when you're visiting loved ones, that's rather hard to put in!). Anyway, I'm over a year married, so I assumed I wouldn't be getting the "newly wed special" anymore (Passport fees waived)... Until I read this on the Passport page of Australia:

If you cannot access a state or territory RBDM in Australia to change your name, you may use a name from a foreign marriage or a foreign name change certificate provided it has been legalised (apostilled or authenticated) by the issuing government in a form that meets our requirements and it was issued after you obtained Australian citizenship.

Well, given that I'm thousands of miles from Australia at the moment, it seems through the wording that I can change it with just my marriage certificate. Is that true?

Timeline

It is possible to do the name change by mail and then get a new passport by mail. I need to finish the post I started writing over a year ago.

Crickey, it makes me uneasy to send originals of anything via mail (birth certificate). Thanks, Lainie B.

Crickey, it makes me uneasy to send originals of anything via mail (birth certificate). Thanks, Lainie B.

I sent all the documents using certified mail to Australia for the name change, and got my new birth certificate sent to me in the mail. Then I sent it with my old passport to DC and they mailed me the new passport with my new name. They sent it using Fedex. It was a piece of cake after the K-1 and AOS process.

I will write up the process soon, thanks for the reminder.

• 3 months later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

2014 August

Later next month Sept 2014, my 2 year GC will expire, I'm doing the I-751 form to 'remove the condition' to get the 10 year GC. My Australian passport (in my maiden name) is gonna expire Jan 2015. I want to get a new passport in married name before I send my i751.

I'm an Australian by naturalisation (1998), birth certificate is from China. I have a Sydney NSW BDM for changing my first name in 2003.

I got married in San Francisco city hall in June 2012, then marriage certificate from contra costa county in California.

Just called San Francisco AUS consulate about this, they said with form PC8 alone is not enough to give me a new passport with married name. I need to get my California marraige certficate legalised. And I should call NSW BDM (i will later today) to ask if I need to officially change name with them, I may not have to since I haven't been living in Australia since 2011 or 2012.

To get it legalised there are 3 ways, http://www.usa.embassy.gov.au/whwh/PassportsNmChgOSPassportsNmChgOS.html and http://www.usa.embassy.gov.au/whwh/Passports_ApostillesPassports_Apostilles.html

1. Secretary of the state, something about notary, but seems notary at the bank is just one of the steps

2. Clerk and deputy clerks of federal courts

3. The US Department of State Authentication Office affixes apostilles to documents issued by federal agencies of the United States.

It seems like when Vanessa did hers, people born overseas, their non-AUS marriage certificate is enough as a proof to change to married name.

it sounds too complicated, doesn't it? Anyone in California changed their married name in the last year?

~My Timeline~

K1 and AOS- 2012

ROC- 2014

Citizenship N400

Filed: 12-28-2020 online

NOA1: 2-1-2021

Bio: reuse 4-26-2021

Interview: 2-14-2022

• 1 year later...
Timeline

Wahoo. Almost two years after my original post on this thread, and I still haven't changed my name/passport. But here I am in Australia to register my change of name. I plan on obtaining the certificate, then changing my passport in the US. My return ticket is in my passport name (maiden name). Because I'm changing my name here, will my passport still be valid? I believe you can choose to amend the birth certificate OR just obtain a change of name certificate without altering the BC. Basically, I'm a little bit fearful of registering my name here, and my passport becoming void because I'm no longer known as "Snag Smith" here. (Probably irrational, but does anyone have any input?)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.