VanessaTony

Australian Passport & Name Change process

66 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

I tried to figure out how to change my name in Australia without actually physically going there, and it's all too complicated for me... I haven't travelled anywhere since I was married five years ago, and I can't afford to anyway. My Australian passport expires later this year, and I just won't have one until I get citizenship and can get a US passport. It's not the way I would have chosen to do things, but they essentially tied my hands because of their irrational fear of the evildoers who were flooding the system with marriage-related name-change requests (NOT!)

You do realise, that, even after your are naturalised and have a US passport, you still need to use an Australian passport to enter Australia? You remain an Australian citizen, and can't use your US passport to enter aus. Your US passport will list Australia as your place of birth, so , there is no "I'll just use my US passport, and "they" won't know".

I don't have the link to where I saw it, but, I think it was somewhere much earlier in this thread,where is states something along the lines of "if your can't apply for name change, the Aust. consulate can choose to accept the "foreign" marriage certificate as a name change document. I'd be interested to read of the experience of anyone here in the US who triues to do a passport name change just using their US marriage certificate. I was able to, but, it was back in 2002, and I'm unsure if the regulations changed since then. The need to do a "name-change" was never mentioned.

N400 at California SC, Field office- Los Angeles

Sep 3, 2007 Application Mailed

Sep 12, 2007 - Priority date

Nov 9,2007 - check cashed

Nov 20,2007 - NOA1: "expect to be notified within 425 days of this notice",

Jan 10, 2008 - fingerprints appointment (letter lost due to mailing address receipted incorrectly)

Feb 7, 2008 - fingerprints done (took about 10 min - as a walk-in)

Sept 8, 2008 - Interview date (letter received Jul 18) - rescheduled at my request

Jan 6, 2009 - Interview date

Feb 26, 2009 - Citizenship Oath

*online status "case received Oct 29", no touches showing.

You do realise, that, even after your are naturalised and have a US passport, you still need to use an Australian passport to enter Australia? You remain an Australian citizen, and can't use your US passport to enter aus. Your US passport will list Australia as your place of birth, so , there is no "I'll just use my US passport, and "they" won't know".

Can't she enter as a visitor on her US passport and then get her Aussie one updated while she is there?

Edited by kaffy

DCF Timeline here

POE Timeline

08/24/2008 POE Seattle

08/29/2008 SSN assigned

09/08/2008 SSN (Card) received

09/29/2008 Green Card received

I-90 Timeline (USCIS error)

11/10/2008 Send I-90 to Texas service center

12/xx/2008 NOA1

01/07/2009 Card production ordered

01/14/2009 Card mailed

01/xx/2009 Card received

I-751 Timeline

06/02/2010 Send I-751 to California service center

06/04/2010 Received at CSC

06/07/2010 NOA1

06/09/2010 Check cashed

07/27/2010 Biometrics

07/28/2010 Touch

09/02/2010 Approved

Timeline

Can't she enter as a visitor on her US passport and then get her Aussie one updated while she is there?

No - Australian Law requires all Australian citizens to enter (and leave) Australia using an Australian passport.

Jan 10, 2008 - fingerprints appointment (letter lost due to mailing address receipted incorrectly)

Sept 8, 2008 - Interview date (letter received Jul 18) - rescheduled at my request

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I don't have the link to where I saw it, but, I think it was somewhere much earlier in this thread,where is states something along the lines of "if your can't apply for name change, the Aust. consulate can choose to accept the "foreign" marriage certificate as a name change document. I'd be interested to read of the experience of anyone here in the US who triues to do a passport name change just using their US marriage certificate. I was able to, but, it was back in 2002, and I'm unsure if the regulations changed since then. The need to do a "name-change" was never mentioned.

You need to do a legal name change through BDM in your home state now. A few years ago, you could just do it with a foreign marriage certificate, but not anymore. I found this out when I was speaking to the passport section of the Los Angeles Consulate.

You can always renew your passport in your maiden name very easily, it's all online now. It's only when you need it in a new name that it gets complicated. One of my posts on the first page of this thread says how to do it. I would have done it already, but I am waiting for my green card to be approved so I can send my original birth certificate back home.

Makes me wish I had done a legal name change while I was still at home, but, oh well.

Married February 20, 2010

Permanent Resident April 22, 2010

Naturalized Citizen January 14, 2014

Proud Dual Citizen of Australia and the USA!

Timeline

You need to do a legal name change through BDM in your home state now. A few years ago, you could just do it with a foreign marriage certificate, but not anymore. I found this out when I was speaking to the passport section of the Los Angeles Consulate.

Thanks for the "history" info. I was lucky then that I married & changed my passport details before the BDIM requirement was introduced. I was wondering if the requirements had changed, or I had just managed to somehow sneak through.

You can always renew your passport in your maiden name very easily, it's all online now. It's only when you need it in a new name that it gets complicated.

Yes, but, if you choose to renew in your maiden name - make sure any international travel with your Australian passport is also ticketed in your maiden name - then, if your US green card is in your married name, always carry your marriage certificate as one of your travel doc's also.

Also, if anyone is thinking along the lines of "I'll fly to Australian on my "maiden name" passport, then apply for a name change & change my passport while I am there" - you will have difficulty on the return leg of your flight as your airline ticket will not match your new passport. You should probably be able to work it all out with the airport with all the documentation you will have, but, I'd either want to sort it out before I turned up at the airport, or, leave myself lots of time for the check-in, in case of being delayed.

Edited by AusCal

Timeline

Thanks for the "history" info. I was lucky then that I married & changed my passport details before the BDIM requirement was introduced. I was wondering if the requirements had changed, or I had just managed to somehow sneak through.

You can always renew your passport in your maiden name very easily, it's all online now. It's only when you need it in a new name that it gets complicated.

Yes, but, if you choose to renew in your maiden name - make sure any international travel with your Australian passport is also ticketed in your maiden name - then, if your US green card is in your married name, always carry your marriage certificate as one of your travel doc's also.

Also, if anyone is thinking along the lines of "I'll fly to Australian on my "maiden name" passport, then apply for a name change & change my passport while I am there" - you will have difficulty on the return leg of your flight as your airline ticket will not match your new passport. You should probably be able to work it all out with the airport with all the documentation you will have, but, I'd either want to sort it out before I turned up at the airport, or, leave myself lots of time for the check-in, in case of being delayed.

It's all a bit of a hassle, eh?

I actually just got off the phone with Orbitz and Aeromexico about the whole married name ticket/maiden name passport issue. Alex booked our August honeymoon just after our wedding, and in his excitement, put my ticket in my married name. So then I freaked out about having to change my name in my passport and all that fun stuff. But, after speaking to both companies, it seems that Aeromexico at least will let you travel, as long as you can show the link between both your names (marriage licence). So that's good. Also, they put an annotation on our booking stating that my passport is in a different name so they will know when we go to check in.

So good to know that I don't have to rush to change my name...now I just need to tell Alex to remember to book in my old name for the time being....Men ;)

Married February 20, 2010

Permanent Resident April 22, 2010

Naturalized Citizen January 14, 2014

Proud Dual Citizen of Australia and the USA!

Timeline

It's all a bit of a hassle, eh?

Yes, it is, but, with planning at least it's really only bureaucracy & paperwork - nothing like the trauma ofwaiting for visa's etc to be granted when you are both on opposite parts of the world.

So, Mexico for your honeymoon? Enjoy!

• 1 month later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I tried to figure out how to change my name in Australia without actually physically going there, and it's all too complicated for me... I haven't travelled anywhere since I was married five years ago, and I can't afford to anyway. My Australian passport expires later this year, and I just won't have one until I get citizenship and can get a US passport. It's not the way I would have chosen to do things, but they essentially tied my hands because of their irrational fear of the evildoers who were flooding the system with marriage-related name-change requests (NOT!)

The name change BS thats going on in Australia at the moment has gone beyond all logic....As I couldnt get a marriage certificate quick enough...even though I could produce a divorce cert...I had to change my name by depoll back to my maiden name....hahah

my sister in law who married over 30 years ago in PNG when it was still a territory of Australia....was told the Australian Govt didnt recognise the marriage and she wasnt able to get her passport...(it had expired) she too had to change her name by depoll....

Talking with the Queensland transport the other day...they told me that I only need provide verification and proof that I will be out of the country when my licence expires which will allow me to renew for up to 10 years....however....I get a sticker to put on the back of the licence and in some countries this sticker is not acceptable....????

Just wondering if this has caused an issue in the usa at all?

And.....I have to go for a new licence when I get to Delaware which includes a driving test and written exam.....as my aussie licence is not recognised after 60 days....NOTHING UPSETS ME MORE THAN THIS.....

:bonk:

• 3 months later...
Timeline

-- UPDATE --

So guys as many of you know I had to go back to Australia for a while. While here I've started the name change process.

I live in Vic and downloading the forms was easy. I thought i'd done well with my evidence (photocopy of passport, drivers licence, bank card and bank statement) however it turns out my bank statement was being mailed to a PO Box and it needs to be a residential address.

On Monday 13th Sept I mailed off the name change paperwork. On Thurs 23rd Sept I rang because I hadn't heard anything. I'd been told/read (or so I thought) 2 weeks to process and wanted to make sure it was on-time, seeing as i still had my passport to worry about.

So, turns out that it can take up to 20 BUSINESS days to process, which is basically a month :o Crapola, that leaves me with no time for my passport. So I called and gave my credit card details (or mum's rather :P) and asked for an expedite. $75 later for that, and $3.80 for express post (pretty sure it was that) I'm cooking with gas :) Expedite assures 5 day processing (or something small like that), and mailed after that.

SO, today (Wed 29th Sept)i get a call from RBDM from a guy called "Bob" telling me that they sent me a letter on the 24th telling me that my bank account statement listed a PO Box and it needed to be residential. #######. So because of the circumstances (that's what he said.. though I'm not sure what that meant) he was okay with me FAXING the new bank statement to him. I had to go to the bank, get them to print a statement and then HAND write my street address and stamp it with a bank stamp to say they did it. Then I faxed it off at the post office ($4 later...)

So I leave it at that (getting the fax confirmation of course :P) and go and collect my bro from work. When I get back turns out I missed a call from Bob... he got my fax, name change will be completed today (still Wed) and in the post tonight :) Also, because I was up in the line anyway he said he wouldnt' charge me the expedite fee :D So I saved $75 :)

--

So now I'm waiting for the certificate to arrive (Mon 4th at the latest I think), once I get that I'll need to go to the passport website and enter my details, print the form, get passport size pics, get a guarantor, visit the post office to file it and in 10 business days (guaranteed max) I should have my passport in my hot little hands. Only issue, should I pay for an expedite there too? It will mean a 2 day turn around (not including posting etc) and i'll be assured of getting my passport for my Nov 5th fly-out... opinions?

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

-- UPDATE - PASSPORT RECEIVED!! --

Another update.

After receiving my name change document I completed my passport application online and printed the forms. I had the passports photos ready to go and now I needed my supporting documents.

I was lucky that one of my sisters friends fitted the criteria for guarantor and she was visiting that w/end so I had the documents ready for her to sign (and the back of the photo to endorse).

On Monday 4th, I attended the post office and booked my passport interview appointment. They couldn't see me until 2.30pm. While waiting for my appointment I went to VicRoads and showed my name change document to obtain a licence in my married name (and a new photo thank goodness.. the last one I look like Medusa with my hair everywhere :S). They processed it took my maiden name licence and handed me a piece of paper to serve as my temporary licence till the card came in the mail.

At my passport interview the girl had no idea of what she was doing as this was her first time of processing a gratis passport for an overseas marriage/name change so she had to call the passport place for guidance. I had one issue with completing my form namely the date my birth was registered (in my case, born 15th Aug, birth registered 29th Aug). This information was on my OLD birth certificate, the new birth cert (from my name change) had the date for my name change. Luckily I still had a photocopy of my old birth certificate so I was able to get the info from there.

She wasn't sure of what she needed to take from me so called the passport help line. She said she didn't need my marriage certificate copy but I made her take it as it's my grounds for a gratis passport. She confirmed my paperwork had been completed correctly with the girl on the phone and which supporting documents she needed.

My supporting documents were:

1. copy of marriage licence (don't need to be certified)

2. copy of name change (don't need to be certified)

She also needed to see my drivers licence as proof of who I am (on the phone with the passport people she asked if my greencard was okay, they said no, had to be drivers licence (any countries) or birth card (whatever that is :S). They accept US licence but I only have my Aussie one.. which I just handed over to VicRoads earlier that day. The little slip of paper isn't good enough 'cause there's no pic and without it (or a birth card) she can't process my passport!! SO I had to rush back to VicRoads and hope they'd give me back my licence temporarily.. so here's that drama...

The Case of The Missing Licence

When I walked into VicRoads here's what happened:

Me: Hi. I was in here earlier to renew my licence and Trevor took it. I'm trying to do my passport and they need to see it.. is it possible i could borrow it for like, 15 mins.. I can give you back the slip of paper...

Girl: Sorry.. we cut them up right away

Me: ...I didn't see him cut it up.. he just paper-clipped it to the piece of paper and put it under there **pointing** are you sure?

Girl: We cut it up when you leave

Me: Are you sure he cut mine up already?

Girl: I saw him cutting up some today. **yelling** Trev.. (he's out the back eating by looks of it)

Trev: Yeah?

Me: Trev... remember seeing me in the post office earlier (small country town so he knows me.. gave me my first licence YEARS ago)? I'm there to renew my passport and she said she needs to see my licence with the pic. The papers not enough..

Trev: Gee sorry mate, we cut those up...

Me: :(

Trev: Hmmm... did I cut yours up **shuffles through papers where I pointed earlier**

Me: THERE! That's my signature!

Trev: **pulls papers out and there's my licence**.. Ahh.. well looks like you got lucky. I'm not really supposed to give this back once we take it..

Me: I swear it'll be back in like 15 minutes. I just need to show it to her...

Trev: Oh alright. But I better clip it **puts hole punch holes through it to show it's cancelled**

Me: Thank you.. oh thank you. I'll be back soon. I promise!!

Passport Interview resumes

She looks at my licence, takes my supporting documents, double check I completed the form correctly.. turns out i had signed outside the signature box and they would return it for that, luckily there's a "back up" signature box. So I shrank my signature into there (why is it a small signature looks so crappy...)

She scanned the barcode on the system and confirmed there was no fee as I did it in the right time-frame for a gratis passport. She then cut out the form barcode and gave it to me to track my passport online (https://www.passports.gov.au/). She posted my application off that day and told me that if the passport office needed anything they would contact me directly.

On Monday 11th I got an email from the passport office telling my my passport had been approved and was being mailed out that day. Today, Friday 15th, I received my passport in the mail. I double-checked everything and my name is all good, the passport number has changed (feel like I need to register that or something with USCIS.. I didn't realise (though I think I should have) that it would change) and it has prettier pages than the old one :)

So there you go. Successful name change and passport change process :) (within Australia though so I think it was easier). I leave Australia on 5th November so I think it arrived in good time and I'm feeling much better about my impending flight... now just to put it somewhere safe so I don't lose it between now and then!!

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: I-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

As a female choosing to change your name to your husbands name, or a variation thereof is a great feeling... suddenly interrupted by the knowledge that we need to change our name in Australia and wondering how. Changing your name when you marry overseas isn't as simple as if you married in Australia so this is a small guide (with a few links :P) to explain the process a little better. Please read this entire post before continuing. Also, please be aware that I am referring to Aussie's by BIRTH because I believe there are other steps involved if you are naturalised (such as changing your naturalisation certificate, and home countries birth certificate, passport etc).

First, you don't HAVE to change your name to your husbands. You also don't HAVE to change your name in Australia if you don't want to. It is perfectly fine to travel in your maiden issue BUT the issue arises when you have to book the tickets... if you Aussie passport says Jones, you book in Jones, but then on the way back to the US you will need to show your Aussie passport, US greencard and marriage licence to prove the name change from passport to greencard... confusing if you ask me but entirely possible :) (I could be over-thinking it but makes sense to me anyway :D) Also, if you change your name in the 12 months following your marriage you are entitled to a "gratis" passport (meaning free) .. more info on that to follow.

So, in order to change your passport, you first need a name change document. If you married in Australia this is as simple as your marriage licence, BUT in our case, being married overseas means we need to actually officially change our name with the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages (RBDM) in your birth state and obtain an official "Name change certificate" (example from Vic below). If you were born overseas (but got an Aussie passport through naturalisation), the foreign marriage licence should be accepted (links below) BUT if you were born in Australia you MUST apply for an official name change certificate. The Australian Passport office does NOT accept foreign marriage licences if you are an Aussie by birth.

Also, depending on your state, they will most likely not accept the foreign marriage licence to change your driver's licence name and bank accounts (like Victoria does) so you'll need that name change certificate for that too.

The process is this:

APPLY FOR LEGAL NAME CHANGE:-

First, you will need to apply for a name change at the RBDM in your state. You will need to find the website for your state so you can find out your specific state requirements (here is a list of the RBDM's: http://australia.gov.au/topics/law-and-justice/births-deaths-and-marriages-registries ) or here are the specific links below:

ACT:

- name change info: http://www.ors.act.gov.au/bdm/WebPages/bdm2.html

- fees: http://www.ors.act.gov.au/bdm/WebPages/bdm_forms.html $129 at the time of posting

- form: http://www.legislation.act.gov.au/af/2009-168/current/pdf/2009-168.pdf

NSW:

- name change info: http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/changeName/changeName.htm

- fees: http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/OurFees.htm $140 for standard at the time of posting

- form: http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/PDF%20forms/04-ChangeNameAdult-Web180210.pdf

N.T:

- name change info: http://www.nt.gov.au/justice/bdm/faq.shtml

- fees: http://www.nt.gov.au/justice/bdm/fees.shtml looks to be $30 here but when you look at the form (below) it says you must also pay to get the certified copy which is $25 so $55 all up

- form: http://www.nt.gov.au/justice/bdm/documents/bdm/s2_con_adult.pdf

QLD:

- name change info: http://www.justice.qld.gov.au/justice-services/births-deaths-and-marriages/change-of-name and http://www.justice.qld.gov.au/justice-services/births-deaths-and-marriages/change-of-name/change-your-name

- fees: In the second link above, $135 at the time of posting

- form: http://www.justice.qld.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0004/7474/bdm-change-name-adult-application-form.pdf

S.A:

- name change info: http://www.ocba.sa.gov.au/bdm/ (sorry only the form has the info that I can find, this is the main RBDM page)

- fees: http://www.ocba.sa.gov.au/bdm/fees.html#Change_of_Name ($187.50 at the time of posting)

- form: http://www.ocba.sa.gov.au/assets/files/change_name_adult.pdf

TAS:

- name change info: http://www.justice.tas.gov.au/bdm/changeofname/howtoregister

- fees: http://www.justice.tas.gov.au/bdm/fee_schedule#Change_of_Name_Fee $146.30 at the time of posting

- form: http://www.justice.tas.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0018/87111/CON_Form_2007.pdf

VIC:

- name change info: https://online.justice.vic.gov.au/CA2574F700805DE7/page/Change+of+name-Changing+your+name?OpenDocument&1=40-Change+of+name~&2=10-Changing+your+name~&3=~

- fees: https://online.justice.vic.gov.au/CA2574F700805DE7/page/Listing-Bar+Menu+Buttons-Fees+and+turnaround?OpenDocument&1=0-Listing~&2=-Bar+Menu+Buttons~&3=30-Fees+and+turnaround~ ($87.20 at the time of posting)

- form: https://online.justice.vic.gov.au/CA256902000FE154/Lookup/BDMApplication_Forms/$file/changeofname.pdf

- Notes: it can take around a month to get the form back unless you pay to expedite which takes that down to 3 days (excluding post days of course). They WILL send it overseas to you if need (most of us it will be).

W.A:

- name change info: http://www.bdm.dotag.wa.gov.au/C/change_of_name.aspx?uid=1698-8961-4534-1476 and http://www.bdm.dotag.wa.gov.au/M/marriages.aspx and http://www.bdm.dotag.wa.gov.au/H/how_to_register_an_adult_s_change_of_name.aspx

- fees: http://www.bdm.dotag.wa.gov.au/C/change_of_name_fees.aspx?uid=5445-2312-5618-5857 $156 at the time of posting

- form: http://www.bdm.dotag.wa.gov.au/_files/register_name_change.pdf

Now, before you get excited, you will need to send off your ORIGINAL birth certificate, if you have it (some states like N.T require you to sign a Statutory Declaration if you do NOT include the certificate). In the cases of SA and VIC (which are the only ones I know) you will, on successfully changing your name, get a name change document AND a new birth certificate listing your new married name but fear not, it does still list your birth name. On the Vic licence on the back will be your name change history.

Do NOT send original documents (except the birth certificate). All documents must be certified, or if you're doing this overseas a notary is fine.

Vic Name Change Certificate example: post-69339-12694050813096_thumb.jpg

APPLY FOR AUSSIE PASSPORT:-

Once you have received your Name Change Certificate you can go ahead and get your new passport! You will need to send in your marriage licence AND name change certificate to obtain the gratis passport I believe.

Regarding the "gratis" passport, here is a link: https://www.passports.gov.au/Web/FAQ.aspx#faq10 basically you need to have at least 2 years left on your passport, and have applied in the 12 months of getting married. That said, I am unable to find anything on any of the international sites that mention the gratis passport and how to ensure you don't pay for it but when I've actually called and spoken to them which they recommend you do here: https://www.passports.gov.au/Web/Queries/Fees.aspx . Personally, I'm thinking of printing the page that talks about gratis above, and highlighting the section on gratis passports. I will probably have to pay a postal fee which is fine but when I have spoken with my chosen embassy about it, I'll let you know :D

Here is the "How to Apply" form from the Australian Embassy in DC: http://www.usa.embassy.gov.au/whwh/PassportsUS.html which is the "head office" in the US, much like the US embassy in Sydney is the "head office" in Australia for the US embassies. There are a few embassies in the US where you can interview and send your information to: http://www.usa.embassy.gov.au/whwh/Consulates.html

You can fill in the Application form online here: https://www.passports.gov.au/Web/Forms/Passport/Overseas/OverseasPassport_0.aspx When it asks "are you applying for a renewal" you must select NO because you are changing your name and not keeping the same name. This will give you all the options to change your name and enter the name change document info. At the end of answering the questions it will give you a PDF document to print which is the passport form that you can also fill in hand-written if you wish if you have the physical form. The form is called PC8 and here are the actual instructions for the form: http://www.usa.embassy.gov.au/whwh/PassportsPC8.html

Here is a list of documents they accept for name changing a passport: https://www.passports.gov.au/Web/Requirements/NameChangeWhatDocs.aspx just in case some of you don't trust me :P Also here: http://www.usa.embassy.gov.au/whwh/PassportsFAQ.html in the FAQ's when it asks for name change you will see the where they mention the name change certificate vs marriage licence, and also directly under the grey box re name changes, information regarding the use of guarantors.

When asked for a guarantor you may leave this section blank (on the online form) so it prints blank or you can fill in the person information if you know it (so they only need to sign). There are special requirements for a guarantor being, it must be a person from a certain profession who has known you for more than 2 years and is not related to you by marriage or birth. They do NOT need to be an Aussie. If, like me, you haven't been in the US long enough to have one of those people, you can print the form and send it back to Australia, with your photos, for the person to fill in the appropriate places, and do their "thing" on the back of the photos. Here is the guarantor information: http://www.usa.embassy.gov.au/whwh/PassportsGua.html

Do NOT send original documents (except the birth certificate). All documents must be certified, or if you're doing this overseas a notary is fine.

When it asks for pictures, if you're having a hard time finding a place to take Aussie photos, here is a link someone sent me a while ago: http://www.epassportphoto.com/ which allows you to print photos in the correct countries size for free. I haven't used it myself yet (and will try and find an actual place first before I do) but I am told it's reliable so I hope some of you find it helpful. Here are the photo requirements: https://www.passports.gov.au/web/requirements/photos.aspx

Remember to read the instructions regarding printing on the "weird" American paper size as it's NOT an issue, there are just some requirements mentioned on the FIRST page when you click on the Aussie passport form link

So there you go. Once you have printed the form and sent it off, you can track your application here: https://www.passports.gov.au/Web/Appl/ApplEntryPoint.aspx using your form number and receipt. There are different ways to pay (I will be paying for FedEx not regular post) and it depends on your embassy, mentioned here: http://www.usa.embassy.gov.au/whwh/PassportsFee.html . If you are applying through the LA or DC office and if you want to pay by Visa or Mastercard card, you will need to print this authority: http://www.usa.embassy.gov.au/whwh/PassportsCCA.html Just print the page like you would a normal website and it will print properly.

Also, if you passport is undamaged they will deactivate it and return it to you. If it is damaged they won't return it. Just to be safe, take some photocopies of your visa (if it's in there) and any other important things you might need at a later date.

If I've forgotten anything please let me know, or if you have any questions. This doesn't seem like it's in the wrong spot because there is no ONLY Australia area (yes there is a regional spot but it's not JUST Australia) so as this happens AFTER moving here this location seemed appropriate so Mods/Organiser, please do not move :D

Hey I just thought I should add this for anyone in Australia looking to do the same thing.. If you change your name at the BDM and present this certificate with your foreign (USA) Marriage certificate they completely waive the fee and you get your new passport for free.. as long as you change your passport within one year of getting married! Cudo's for Australia :)

California Service centre

04/05/10: I-130 package mailed

04/14/10: Receipt Date

09/28/10: Approval Date

NOA2 to NVC - 12 days

NVC

10/10/10: NVC Case# generated

10/18/10: IIN Received

10/28/10: Emailed DS-3020

11/06/10: AOS fee PAID,

11/09/10: DS-3020 email is accepted by NVC

11/13/10: IV fee PAID,

Timeline
Hey I just thought I should add this for anyone in Australia looking to do the same thing.. If you change your name at the BDM and present this certificate with your foreign (USA) Marriage certificate they completely waive the fee and you get your new passport for free.. as long as you change your passport within one year of getting married! Cudo's for Australia :)

Yes very cool. I mentioned it here, but didn't mention the marriage certificate:

Regarding the "gratis" passport, here is a link: https://www.passports.gov.au/Web/FAQ.aspx#faq10 basically you need to have at least 2 years left on your passport, and have applied in the 12 months of getting married. That said, I am unable to find anything on any of the international sites that mention the gratis passport and how to ensure you don't pay for it but when I've actually called and spoken to them which they recommend you do here: https://www.passports.gov.au/Web/Queries/Fees.aspx . Personally, I'm thinking of printing the page that talks about gratis above, and highlighting the section on gratis passports. I will probably have to pay a postal fee which is fine but when I have spoken with my chosen embassy about it, I'll let you know :D

That I mentioned in my most recent update when I actually got around to doing all that here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/248400-australian-passport-name-change-process/page__view__findpost__p__4238145

Thanks for making it clearer though :)

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

Thanks Vanessa, this thread has been really informative! It also seems like it's close to the topic of my question: How do we let Australia know that we're married? I doubt that changing her name and filling out section 9 on the DBM change name adult application form is enough to do it, it's just listing the reason why and not so much informing them of what's happened in any official capacity. Or would that be done when we start the process for me to move to Oz? In which case would she need to change her name before we do that?

-J

Service Center :--California Service Center

Consulate :--------Sydney, Australia

I-129F Sent :-------2010-01-11

I-129F NOA1 :------2010-01-14

I-129F NOA2 :------2010-02-25

NVC Received :---2010-03-06

My heart breaks with every step, but each piece finds its way home to you.

8y3dhli3u.png

Timeline
Thanks Vanessa, this thread has been really informative! It also seems like it's close to the topic of my question: How do we let Australia know that we're married? I doubt that changing her name and filling out section 9 on the DBM change name adult application form is enough to do it, it's just listing the reason why and not so much informing them of what's happened in any official capacity. Or would that be done when we start the process for me to move to Oz? In which case would she need to change her name before we do that?

-J

Well I'll give my experience and then try and answer your question :)

When I returned to Australia for 2 months I had been married for 10 months. My passport and ALL Aussie docs were in my maiden name. The bank was "okay" with changing my name to "Mrs Vanessa" with my US marriage cert but they weren't terribly happy about it either. They were all kinds of confused.

You have to do the name change first in order to be known by your married name BUT the result (in Vic) was them changing my birth certificate and it simply says my CURRENT name and my "name at birth". There is no mention that the change was due to marriage. When doing the change if you look at the Vic form, at the bottom of page 4 there's a little section where it asks you to explain why you're changing your name. I wrote marriage AND you'll see it says to attach a certified copy of my marriage certificate so I did that too... so they now know that I'm married BUT that doesn't translate to everywhere.

When I went to VicRoads I showed my name change certificate AND marriage certificate to prove I'm a "Mrs" not Miss. Same for Medicare and what not. It was funny because a lot of places that I went saw the marriage cert but I STILL had to get them to change it again because they forgot to change to "Mrs" and instead only changed the last name.

So to answer your questions directly.. there isn't really a "registering" of the marriage per se and there isn't really a need for it. You're just registering her change of name and with the passport she'll get her free one BECAUSE she married (and only if she changes it within 12 months of marriage.. which saves a bit of $$). If you wanted to move to Aus then like with the US stuff, she would present your marriage cert as proof of your marriage. She doesn't need to have your name to import you BUT if she wants to change her name and you can do it in the first 12 months of marriage then it's free BUT you have to pay for the name change which isn't cheap so if you can at least get the passport for free it'll make a different later :D Hope that answers your questions :D

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.