RosaMystica7

Passport photos question - headscarves?

25 posts in this topic

I (the USC) was just gonna run out the door to get the passport photos done for my G-325A... when I thought... I wear a headscarf for religious purposes, will that be a problem? I'm not Muslim so I don't cover my ears and neck with it. I wear it bandana style - my hair is tied in a bun and my scarf is tied behind the back of my head under it. It doesn't block my face at all, it just covers my hair. Do I need to put a note with the photos explaining that the headscarf is for religious purposes, or since my face isn't blocked will it just be fine?

If you're wondering why I'm not wearing one in that picture to the left, it's something I started after the time when that picture was taken. ;) Actually, that makes me think of another question. In the photos I'll be giving them of us being together during his visits I'm not wearing a headscarf, but in the passport photo I will be. Do you think that's something that could cause a problem? Yes I know, I'm a worry wart. :blush:

Edited by aselano

8/10/08:

---seperated---

K-1 highlights (more details in profile):

11/24/06: NOA1 (Day 3)

12/19/06: NOA2 (Day 28)

2/28/07: Interview: approved! (Day 99)

4/15/07: Married, in a noreaster (Day 146)

AOS highlights (more details in profile, too):

6/20/07: AOS, EAD, and AP mailed

6/26/07: NOA1 (Day 6)

7/14/07: Biometrics (Day 24)

7/23/07: Recieved AOS RFE (dated 7/17) for W-2s, mailed them out the next day (Day 33)

7/27/07: RFE response received, processing resumed (Day 37)

8/14/07: AOS transferred to CSC (Day 45)

8/21/07: CSC received/is processing AOS (Day 52)

8/29/07: Welcome notice mailed! (Day 60)

8/31/07: Card production ordered! (Day 62)

9/11/07: Greencard in hand! (Day 73)

Note to self: lifting of conditions: May 25th, 2009

THIS LINK says to wear religious headwear if they are worn daily, but that it should not cast shadows on the eyes (or any part of the face).

Hope that helps!

Edited by TracyTN
SA4userbar.jpg

THIS LINK says to wear religious headwear if they are worn daily, but that it should not cast shadows on the eyes (or any part of the face).

Hope that helps!

Ah - I followed the K-1 guide to that link before posting, read it, and completely missed the part about headwear. :blush: I'm sorry about that! Thanks for being patient with me even though it's obviously in the guide, I know how annoying it is to see an already answered question being asked. :blush:

I do wear it daily now... but I didn't wear it during his visits. So my passport photo attached to my G-325A will have a headscarf, but my photos of us together that I'll submit as part of proving his visits won't show me wearing one. Will that be a problem? Should I make notations of this anywhere in the petition? Like should I drop a note in with the plastic bag that my passport photo will be in stating that I wear it daily for religious purposes, and a note in with our together pictures stating that I didn't wear it back then? Maybe that'd be giving them too much information to play with. :lol:

8/10/08:

---seperated---

7/23/07: Recieved AOS RFE (dated 7/17) for W-2s, mailed them out the next day (Day 33)

Nah, it wasn't an annoying question at all. I had to dig a little to find it.

I wouldn't worry about the 'inconsistancy' in your photos together and the passport photo - but I'm probably not the best authority. :blush:

SA4userbar.jpg

Nah, it wasn't an annoying question at all. I had to dig a little to find it.

I wouldn't worry about the 'inconsistancy' in your photos together and the passport photo - but I'm probably not the best authority. :blush:

Thanks! :D I'm at the point where I'm like... We've been waiting SO LONG to file this application... if we get held up by a RFE or any other problem for something that I could've prevented I'm gonna be pissed. Worrying and being over-cautious won't help anything, though, I guess.

8/10/08:

---seperated---

You're right, worrying doesn't help - but it DOES help to think of all potential entanglements of your case. Shows that you're not just on 'cruise control' and that you're giving serious thought to your case! :)

SA4userbar.jpg

You're right, worrying doesn't help - but it DOES help to think of all potential entanglements of your case. Shows that you're not just on 'cruise control' and that you're giving serious thought to your case! :)

True. :)

8/10/08:

---seperated---

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

If it's not covering your face, it sounds like you really don't have to worry about it - they're not even going to notice it, let alone worry about why you're wearing it now when you weren't a few years ago...

Karen - Melbourne, Australia/John - Florida, USA

- Proposal (20 August 2000) to marriage (19 December 2004) - 4 years, 3 months, 25 days (1,578 days)

STAGE 1 - Applying for K1 (15 September 2003) to K1 Approval (13 July 2004) - 9 months, 29 days (303 days)

STAGE 2A - Arriving in US (4 Nov 2004) to AOS Application (16 April 2005) - 5 months, 13 days (164 days)

STAGE 2B - Applying for AOS to GC Approval - 9 months, 4 days (279 days)

STAGE 3 - Lifting Conditions. Filing (19 Dec 2007) to Approval (December 11 2008)

STAGE 4 - CITIZENSHIP (filing under 5-year rule - residency start date on green card Jan 11th, 2006)

*N400 filed December 15, 2011

*Interview March 12, 2012

*Oath Ceremony March 23, 2012.

ALL DONE!!!!!!!!

If it's not covering your face, it sounds like you really don't have to worry about it - they're not even going to notice it, let alone worry about why you're wearing it now when you weren't a few years ago...

Okay, thank you. :D

8/10/08:

---seperated---

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Can you NOT wear it for the Passport photo to be taken? If you even have smallest doubt in your mind what the USCIS will do to your case. This would be a part of your visa journey with the USCIS where you can control the outcome so why not follow your best judgement, remove your worry and doubt.

IMO: Be consistance, be the rubber-stamp case where you can, no headscarf.

Good luck

"You always get what you've always gotten if you always do what you always did."

Can you NOT wear it for the Passport photo to be taken? If you even have smallest doubt in your mind what the USCIS will do to your case. This would be a part of your visa journey with the USCIS where you can control the outcome so why not follow your best judgement, remove your worry and doubt.

IMO: Be consistance, be the rubber-stamp case where you can, no headscarf.

Good luck

Wearing it for religious reasons usually implies that it can't come off in public, and such is true for me. ;) I've only been wearing it for a few months, though, so I'm still shaky in areas like this... it's tempting to not wear it for the photo, but wearing it is something I've chosen to commit to. I'm just feeling my way through this new thing and becoming more grounded in it, really.

I've decided to just go with wearing the scarf for my picture, I've chosen to cover my hair in public and that's what I'll continue doing in all cases... if they question it, well, my photos with my fiance are from December and my passport photos will be taken in August - a lot can change in 8 months! :) I'll admit I'm still a tiny bit worried (this is where Mew will come and tell me to relax, LOL) but well, not much I can do about it lol. A commitment is a commitment. If the USCIS, or anyone on the French side, has a problem with it... I'll figure out a way to work with them on it then. In all other things I say I'd prefer to do everything possible to avoid the risk of a RFE. For this, I'd rather not compromise unless is totally and entirely necessary... i.e. there is NO way possible that they'll work with me on it and the ONE AND ONLY way for me to get my fiance here is for me to take it off for the photo.

Thanks for the response though! :)

8/10/08:

---seperated---

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
I'll admit I'm still a tiny bit worried (this is where Mew will come and tell me to relax, LOL) but well, not much I can do about it lol.

Okay, you've asked for it. Angilla, relax, dear... :lol:

I only offer advice - not even legal. Just the plain and simple kind.

Timeline (incompleta)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

No way MEW.... don't you want her to have the full experience as we all did... we paid full price for the fare to ride this VJ Rollercoaster :) Be worry, be scare, be panic, be crazy, be sad, be upset, be emotional but never will you be bored :) So much that you feel completely happy when you two are finally together!

:dance:

"You always get what you've always gotten if you always do what you always did."

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I kinda had the opposite situation - passport gotten ages ago doesn't have a scarf, but everything from 01 on does. Of course, I was the petitioner, so that doesn't help you much either :lol:

I'd say to ease your nerves, write a brief note and drop it in with the baggie of pictures. They're used to dealing with all kinds of headcovering people, so I'm pretty sure they'll understand.

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.