8 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

hi

today my wife had been to the Social security office, as she has received her EAD with the married name and wanted it to be changed on the Social security card. The lady at the counter takes all the oiriginals to verify and gives it back to me and says, as there database isnt updated it will take 10 weeks for them to do a verification.

What i dont understand is if my wife already had a social secuirty card, and just wanted surname to be chnaged, why did it not show on there database. Why would it still take them 10weeks for processing.

Any clues, help..... bit confusing.

When she asked about withdrawing the application so that it can done when the databse was updated, the :devil: lady refused to do so.

Not very helpful in explaining about the details, never mind! But please if anyone had the same experience willing to throw some light.

Vinay :hehe:

K1

06-04-05 Met my fiancee in London

08-20-05 Engagement in Manchester, UK

09-07-05 Filed for I-129F

09-14-05 I-129F NOA1 Receipt

10-11-05 I-129F NOA2 Approved

10-13-05 NVC mails petition to US embassy in London

11-07-05 Received packet from US embassy

01-12-05 Medical Examination

02-03-06 Interview Date

02-06-06 Visa Received

03-10-06 U.S. Entry at Newark Liberty Intl.

AOS

04-03-06 Got Married

04-11-06 Picked up Marriage Certificate

04-13-06 Applied for Social Security

04-15-06 Went to Civil Surgeon's for I-693A

04-17-06 Picked up I-693A from Civil Surgeons

04-19-06 Received Social Security card

04-22-06 Sent AOS package

05-04-06 Checks cashed for AOS and EAD

05-06-06 NOA1 received for AOS and EAD

05-13-06 AOS and EAD touched

05-15-06 Appt. letter for Biometrics

05-20-06 Biometrics Appointment

05-25-06 AOS and EAD touched

07-20-06 EAD Approved

07-25-06 EAD received in mail

07-27-06 Notice for interview

09-26-06 AOS Approved

114952351596656.gif

Filed: Timeline
today my wife had been to the Social security office, as she has received her EAD with the married name and wanted it to be changed on the Social security card. The lady at the counter takes all the oiriginals to verify and gives it back to me and says, as there database isnt updated it will take 10 weeks for them to do a verification.

What i dont understand is if my wife already had a social secuirty card, and just wanted surname to be chnaged, why did it not show on there database. Why would it still take them 10weeks for processing.

Just an educated guess from the SSN monkey. LOL

The SSA office needs to verify your wife as having work authorized status and the majority of the time the system they check (SAVE) doesn't get updated when an individual has been issued an EAD card while they have an AOS pending.

The SSA office will try to verify your status through the SAVE system while you are in the office. If they can't, they will send a form G-845 to immigration for manual verification. This could delay the issuing a card for weeks and some times months.

If the SSA office does send the G-845, suggest that your wife go back to the SSA office no more that once week with her documents to (1) ask them to check SAVE again (2) ask if they sent a G-845 (3) if yes, did it come back (4) after 30 days ask if they have followed up on the G-845 by calling or sending another mark “second request.”

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203720

RM 00203.720 Verifying Immigration Documents

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203735

RM 00203.735 Requesting Online (Primary) Verification By SAVE

She can try calling the SSA Regional Office if she has waited at least 30 days and your local SSA office doesn't seem to be concerned about following up on the G-845.

http://www.ssa.gov/otherssasites/

Refer them to:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203740

RM 00203.740 Requesting Additional (Manual) Verification By DHS

Step 6

DHS should respond to SSA within 15 federal work days after receiving the Form G-845. If DHS does not respond within 15 federal work days from the receipt of the G-845 from SSA, follow-up with the DHS, USCIS Immigration Status office. (Allow 15 days plus five additional federal work days of mail time for the G-845 to be received at and returned from DHS. Follow local practice to follow-up with DHS.

Some SSA offices have an arrangement with the DHS, USCIS office to telephone for the follow-up contact; other SSA offices send a copy of the original G-845 annotated “second request.”) If the DHS response is still not received within 15 federal work days after the follow-up contact (if the follow-up is by mail allow five additional federal work days of mail time for the G-845 to be received at and returned from DHS), make a second follow-up contact. If the DHS response is not received within 15 federal workdays (again, if the follow-up is by mail, allow five additional federal work days of mail time for the G-845 to be received at and returned from DHS), after two follow-ups, contact the Regional Office (RO). Also report to the RO any trend that shows a serious deviation by DHS from the above time frames. The RO will consult with central office.

Not sure if this will help when your wife goes back to the SSA office to follow up on her application. but if they will let you look at the SAVE query see if this applies in her case. Make sure they haven't sent the G-845 because her status says PEN (Pending) even though her eligibility says she is authorized to work.

F. Procedure — Interpreting the “Eligibility Statement” Message on the SAVE Query Response

4. SAVE Eligibility Statement Line Message Is “Temporary Employment Authorized”

a. SAVE Eligibility Statement Message and Immigration Document Agree

Process the SSN card application, basing the decision on the SAVE response as well as other evidence submitted when:

-- All information on the SAVE query response matches the information on the immigration document;

-- The immigration documents indicate temporary employment authorization (e.g., I-94 with an alien classification that shows the person is authorized to work, Form I-766, or Form I-688B); AND

-- If the SAVE query response Eligibility Statement line shows the message “Temporary Employment Authorized.”

G. List of Most Common “INS Status” Line Codes

NOTE: Generally, regardless of the INS Status line code, when the alien has been issued an EAD and the A number is entered to query SAVE, the Eligibility Statement message is “Temporary Employment Authorized.”

INS Status line code

PEN

What the code means

There is a pending DHS action (the applicant has applied for an immigration benefit, but DHS has not yet adjudicated that application, e.g. the applicant applied to adjust his/her status to permanent resident alien or LAPR status)

Edited by mdyoung

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Just happened the same to me today.

My concern is: Can I work or not??? :help:

Its very clear on the SSA letter that they gave to me:

"This letter does NOT show you have the right to work in the United States."

What should I do??? I already have a SSN with the saying: "Valid for work only with DHS Authorization". Can I start to work showing my SSN and the EAD, or should I wait for the verification???

Plus, the lady said it would take 1 week for the verification and on the letter says at least 4 weeks!!!

Oh well... :(:wacko: Seems more waiting to work...

Thanks for any clarification on this,

Carol :thumbs:

Just an educated guess from the SSN monkey. LOL

The SSA office needs to verify your wife as having work authorized status and the majority of the time the system they check (SAVE) doesn't get updated when an individual has been issued an EAD card while they have an AOS pending.

The SSA office will try to verify your status through the SAVE system while you are in the office. If they can't, they will send a form G-845 to immigration for manual verification. This could delay the issuing a card for weeks and some times months.

If the SSA office does send the G-845, suggest that your wife go back to the SSA office no more that once week with her documents to (1) ask them to check SAVE again (2) ask if they sent a G-845 (3) if yes, did it come back (4) after 30 days ask if they have followed up on the G-845 by calling or sending another mark “second request.”

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203720

RM 00203.720 Verifying Immigration Documents

She can try calling the SSA Regional Office if she has waited at least 30 days and your local SSA office doesn't seem to be concerned about following up on the G-845.

http://www.ssa.gov/otherssasites/

Refer them to:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203740

RM 00203.740 Requesting Additional (Manual) Verification By DHS

Step 6

DHS should respond to SSA within 15 federal work days after receiving the Form G-845. If DHS does not respond within 15 federal work days from the receipt of the G-845 from SSA, follow-up with the DHS, USCIS Immigration Status office. (Allow 15 days plus five additional federal work days of mail time for the G-845 to be received at and returned from DHS. Follow local practice to follow-up with DHS.

Some SSA offices have an arrangement with the DHS, USCIS office to telephone for the follow-up contact; other SSA offices send a copy of the original G-845 annotated “second request.”) If the DHS response is still not received within 15 federal work days after the follow-up contact (if the follow-up is by mail allow five additional federal work days of mail time for the G-845 to be received at and returned from DHS), make a second follow-up contact. If the DHS response is not received within 15 federal workdays (again, if the follow-up is by mail, allow five additional federal work days of mail time for the G-845 to be received at and returned from DHS), after two follow-ups, contact the Regional Office (RO). Also report to the RO any trend that shows a serious deviation by DHS from the above time frames. The RO will consult with central office.

coracao.gif

CAROL & MARC

MY HONEY'S PROFILE

Remove Conditions

08-28-08 - Mailed I-751

08-30-08 - Delivered

09-01-08 - Touched

09-03-08 - Check cleared

09-06-08 - NOA1 in the mail (dated 08/29???)

10-09-08 - Biometrics (Touched)

12-16-08 - Email "Card production ordered"

12-24-08 - Santa came and brought my present (Greencard in the mail!)

kitazura.gifkpuppy1.gif

BICHON FRISE LOVER!!!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Thanks for this information, it just keeps getting better and better :wacko: . oh well!

But can she work before the verification process is finished?

K1

06-04-05 Met my fiancee in London

08-20-05 Engagement in Manchester, UK

09-07-05 Filed for I-129F

09-14-05 I-129F NOA1 Receipt

10-11-05 I-129F NOA2 Approved

10-13-05 NVC mails petition to US embassy in London

11-07-05 Received packet from US embassy

01-12-05 Medical Examination

02-03-06 Interview Date

02-06-06 Visa Received

03-10-06 U.S. Entry at Newark Liberty Intl.

AOS

04-03-06 Got Married

04-11-06 Picked up Marriage Certificate

04-13-06 Applied for Social Security

04-15-06 Went to Civil Surgeon's for I-693A

04-17-06 Picked up I-693A from Civil Surgeons

04-19-06 Received Social Security card

04-22-06 Sent AOS package

05-04-06 Checks cashed for AOS and EAD

05-06-06 NOA1 received for AOS and EAD

05-13-06 AOS and EAD touched

05-15-06 Appt. letter for Biometrics

05-20-06 Biometrics Appointment

05-25-06 AOS and EAD touched

07-20-06 EAD Approved

07-25-06 EAD received in mail

07-27-06 Notice for interview

09-26-06 AOS Approved

114952351596656.gif

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

This is my question also!

Carol ;)

coracao.gif

CAROL & MARC

MY HONEY'S PROFILE

Remove Conditions

08-28-08 - Mailed I-751

08-30-08 - Delivered

09-01-08 - Touched

09-03-08 - Check cleared

09-06-08 - NOA1 in the mail (dated 08/29???)

10-09-08 - Biometrics (Touched)

12-16-08 - Email "Card production ordered"

12-24-08 - Santa came and brought my present (Greencard in the mail!)

kitazura.gifkpuppy1.gif

BICHON FRISE LOVER!!!

Thanks for this information, it just keeps getting better and better :wacko: . oh well!

Yes, she can work. She has an EAD card that's her authorization to work. Just will need to work under the maiden name until her SSN record can be updated.

SSA FAQ 1566

How can I make sure that the employee's SSN and name given to me are correct?

You should ask to see the SSN card, although the employee is not required to show the card unless it is readily available. You should record the name and SSN shown on the card in your business' personnel and payroll records that will be used to prepare W-2 reports.

If the employee indicates he or she prefers to use a different name for employment purposes, advise the employee that you must use the name as it currently appears on the card. Also advise the employee to request an updated Social Security card with a name change and to show it to you so that you can update your records and so that your records and the Social Security records will agree.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

Exactly the same thing happened to me. They said I was not in the system yet – only under my maiden name!!

The lady said as long as you have a SSN and an EAD you can work – it doesn’t matter that the names are different – just take your marriage certificate with you to your new employer. They told me it will take 6 weeks for verification. So ridiculous.

But yeah to answer your questions you can work, no problem, as long as you have an EAD and SSN. Believe me your employers will be understanding – everyone seems to know what a nightmare it is to change your name on everything.

Claire and Chris - 1st year together[br].png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.