w¡n9Nµ7 §£@¥€r

Morning-After Pill May Go Over The Counter (for women 18 and above only)

113 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Sorry if this has already been pointed out - but isn't the morning after pill to be used 'in case you might be pregnant', not necessarily because you are.

Conception isn't exactly an 'exact' science anyway - unprotected sex (or the condom breaking) doesn't guarantee pregnancy, but what else is a woman going to do if she's in that position and doesn't want to 'take the risk of being pregnant' - simply wait and hope she isn't!?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline

Hey...no condom? Get thee to CVS after the fact!

If one had to go see a doctor or planned parenthood before obtaining the MAP, one would be more diligent to make sure one didnt' have a accident. Not, hey...let's go bareback and I'll just take a pill in the am. As I said, I don't know where I stand on the actual pill itself...but it should be monitored better than just going to the drugstore & getting it.

I still just simply cannot see anyone actually doing that. Spend $5 for a pack of condoms or $30 for two little pills....what would you do?

Do you actually want to tell me that a young male wouldn't be all 'aww come on, baby, it's so much better without!' Not that I'm blaming the males...but do you think condom sex feels the same as non-condom sex? :no:

Filed: Country: Guatemala
Timeline
Sorry if this has already been pointed out - but isn't the morning after pill to be used 'in case you might be pregnant', not necessarily because you are.

Conception isn't exactly an 'exact' science anyway - unprotected sex (or the condom breaking) doesn't guarantee pregnancy, but what else is a woman going to do if she's in that position and doesn't want to 'take the risk of being pregnant' - simply wait and hope she isn't!?

That's a good point too...what with my PCOS and just it being generally difficult to get pregnant I probably would stand almost no chance of getting pregnant, even if I used no protection whatsoever. I just have chosen to be extra careful a few times in the past, when I wasn't certain I had done enough to prevent it.

If one had to go see a doctor or planned parenthood before obtaining the MAP, one would be more diligent to make sure one didnt' have a accident. Not, hey...let's go bareback and I'll just take a pill in the am. As I said, I don't know where I stand on the actual pill itself...but it should be monitored better than just going to the drugstore & getting it.

I still just simply cannot see anyone actually doing that. Spend $5 for a pack of condoms or $30 for two little pills....what would you do?

Do you actually want to tell me that a young male wouldn't be all 'aww come on, baby, it's so much better without!' Not that I'm blaming the males...but do you think condom sex feels the same as non-condom sex? :no:

Ok, good point...in which case I say would you rather pay about $50 (without insurance) for a pack of 30 birth control pills which are much more reliable or $30 for 2 itty bitty pills?

Don't let the sunshine spoil your rain...just stand up and COMPLAIN!

-Oscar the Grouch

That's a good point too...what with my PCOS and just it being generally difficult to get pregnant I probably would stand almost no chance of getting pregnant, even if I used no protection whatsoever. I just have chosen to be extra careful a few times in the past, when I wasn't certain I had done enough to prevent it.

Ok, good point...in which case I say would you rather pay about $50 (without insurance) for a pack of 30 birth control pills which are much more reliable or $30 for 2 itty bitty pills?

why are you arguing semantics? There is no logic sometimes when sex is involved. I can't accurately predict every possible scenario, Mel..but the bottom line is women ARE buying this pill, so 'would you rather do this or that' is quite moot. Women ARE paying $30 & $50 to combat a possible pregnancy..so what exactly is your point?

Using that logic, no one would be buying it, but they are, so there.

Timeline

why are you arguing semantics? There is no logic sometimes when sex is involved. I can't accurately predict every possible scenario, Mel..but the bottom line is women ARE buying this pill, so 'would you rather do this or that' is quite moot. Women ARE paying $30 & $50 to combat a possible pregnancy..so what exactly is your point?

Using that logic, no one would be buying it, but they are, so there.

No, I wouldn't say using that logic nobody would be buying it. I happen to pay $50 a month for birth control pills AND have had to pay the $30 for the 2 emergency pills-at the same time. My point was for regular, long-term contraception ECP is not practical, or ideal, and in fact would be a very difficult habit to maintain, especially if you have a lot of sex...

So if you were to use it once a week at $30 a week that's over $100 a month...that's like getting digital cable plus Internet or insuring another car...I can't think of anyone I know who would be willing or wanting to do that.

-Oscar the Grouch

No, I wouldn't say using that logic nobody would be buying it. I happen to pay $50 a month for birth control pills AND have had to pay the $30 for the 2 emergency pills-at the same time. My point was for regular, long-term contraception ECP is not practical, or ideal, and in fact would be a very difficult habit to maintain, especially if you have a lot of sex...

So if you were to use it once a week at $30 a week that's over $100 a month...that's like getting digital cable plus Internet or insuring another car...I can't think of anyone I know who would be willing or wanting to do that.

People are using it in enough numbers for it to be finacially beneficial to produce it. That's even with the cost of a dr's visit too. I think that you cut out the middleman, and the usage will be higher.

Timeline

People are using it in enough numbers for it to be finacially beneficial to produce it. That's even with the cost of a dr's visit too. I think that you cut out the middleman, and the usage will be higher.

The Dr's visit isn't always necessary...if you have a relationship with your Dr. they can prescribe it over the phone. My thought on it is that if it does go OTC, for a while you might see increased use as it is so easily available but then the novelty will wear off and people will start to feel it in the pocket book...

And of course it's profitable to produce it...it's like selling birth control pills for almost $8 a pop.

Edited by Heina

-Oscar the Grouch

The Dr's visit isn't always necessary...if you have a relationship with your Dr. they can prescribe it over the phone. My thought on it is that if it does go OTC, for a while you might see increased use as it is so easily available but then the novelty will wear off and people will start to feel it in the pocket book...

And of course it's profitable to produce it...it's like selling birth control pills for almost $8 a pop.

But regardless of the price, people are buying it. They could charge $20 a pill, but if no one buys it, they don't make money.

Anyways, I'm done with this....the horse is long dead :lol: