w¡n9Nµ7 §£@¥€r

Morning-After Pill May Go Over The Counter (for women 18 and above only)

113 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

The Food and Drug Administration notified manufacturer Barr Laboratories Inc. early Monday that it wanted to meet within seven days to iron out new steps the company must take in its three-year battle to sell the pill, called Plan B, without a prescription to at least some women.

[...]

The morning-after pill is a high dose of regular birth control that, taken within 72 hours of unprotected sex, can lower the risk of pregnancy by up to 89 percent.

Contraceptive advocates and doctors groups say easier access to a pill now available by prescription only could halve the nation's 3 million annual unintended pregnancies, and FDA's own scientists say the pills are safe. In December 2003, the agency's independent scientific advisers overwhelmingly backed nonprescription sales for all ages.

But FDA rejected that recommended, citing concern about young teens' use of the pills without a doctor's guidance.

[...]

Monday, the FDA reversed itself, saying that it had reviewed about 47,000 comments from the public, with an overwhelming majority supporting the view that the drug could be sold both as a prescription and nonprescription product.

[...]

To try again, Barr must re-file its application with some changes:

*Barr must agree to sell nonprescription to women 18 and older, not 16 as the company had earlier sought. That's because it conforms with current age restrictions on tobacco products, and thus would simplify pharmacists' enforcement.

* Both the nonprescription and prescription versions of the pill would be kept behind the pharmacists' counter. But FDA wants Barr to sell the nonpresription version in completely different packaging to help distinguish the two.

* Barr must provide details on how the program will enforce the age restriction. If that's not rigorous enough, Plan B will remain prescription for everyone, FDA warned.

http://www.nbc17.com/health/9601247/detail.html

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Good news indeed in my opinion as well. I think 18 is a good age to allow women to decide on their own and not need a prescription.

"THE SHORT STORY"

KURT & RAYMA (K-1 Visa)

Oct. 9/03... I-129F sent to NSC

June 10/04... K-1 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

July 31/04... Entered U.S.

Aug. 28/04... WEDDING DAY!!!!

Aug. 30/04... I-485, I-765 & I-131 sent to Seattle

Dec. 10/04... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport stamped)

Sept. 9/06... I-751 sent to NSC

May 15/07... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Sept. 13/07... N-400 sent to NSC

Aug. 21/08... Interview - PASSED!!!!

Sept. 2/08... Oath Ceremony

Sept. 5/08... Sent in Voter Registration Card

Sept. 9/08... SSA office to change status to "U.S. citizen"

Oct. 8/08... Applied in person for U.S. Passport

Oct. 22/08... U.S. Passport received

DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!!

KAELY (K-2 Visa)

Apr. 6/05... DS-230, Part I faxed to Vancouver Consulate

May 26/05... K-2 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

Sept. 5/05... Entered U.S.

Sept. 7/05... I-485 & I-131 sent to CLB

Feb. 22/06... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport NOT stamped)

Dec. 4/07... I-751 sent to NSC

May 23/08... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Mar. 22/11.... N-400 sent to AZ

June 27/11..... Interview - PASSED!!!

July 12/11..... Oath Ceremony

We're NOT lawyers.... just your average folks who had to find their own way!!!!! Anything we post here is simply our own opinions/suggestions/experiences and should not be taken as LAW!!!!

Filed: Country: Guatemala
Timeline

That's awesome news, I hope they go through with it. I have to say though, that even though it's somewhat of an annoyance to get a prescription, it's not all that difficult...you really just have to call it in to the doctor, and find a pharmacy that has it...still would be much easier to get it OTC. Plus you wouldn't have to wait that way!

Don't let the sunshine spoil your rain...just stand up and COMPLAIN!

-Oscar the Grouch

######..where was that when i was single.

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

Filed: Timeline

Good news for Flair. He's taken a lot of girls to space mountain.

Wooooooo!

Sorry baby, Ric's got to go. I have a limo and a leer jet waiting.

Woooooo!

"To be the man, you've got to beat the man. And I'm the man."

"Ladies....you can't be first but you can be next."

WOOOOOOOOOO!

Flair 3:16 means you just got chopped

"IV"

*Touched* - All night long...wooooo!

Timeline
I don't think this is a good idea. What prevents an older friend from buying it for a minor? I agree that a prescription is easy enough to get.

In all honesty, what would be the huge deal if an older person did buy it for a minor (aside from it being illegal.) It's not like drugs, which are bad for you, and if it helps prevent an unwanted pregnancy then I think it's all for the best.

-Oscar the Grouch

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
I don't think this is a good idea. What prevents an older friend from buying it for a minor? I agree that a prescription is easy enough to get.

Not as easy as you would believe.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...l=contraceptive

good

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Timeline

Whatever...I've gotten prescriptions for it several times and the last time, I was even warned by the nurse over the phone that I needed to find a pharmacy who would sell it to me, as they have the option not to. Well, out of the eleventy bazillion pharmacies in this area, my normal one was out of stock, and the second one I called had it. It was a minor inconvenience that took up probably about 15 minutes of my time, but it's not difficult, nor impossible. If someone can't deal with that process, I wonder how they dress themselves in the morning.

-Oscar the Grouch

If someone could buy it over the counter for a minor, they could do the same with a prescription.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Whatever...I've gotten prescriptions for it several times and the last time, I was even warned by the nurse over the phone that I needed to find a pharmacy who would sell it to me, as they have the option not to. Well, out of the eleventy bazillion pharmacies in this area, my normal one was out of stock, and the second one I called had it. It was a minor inconvenience that took up probably about 15 minutes of my time, but it's not difficult, nor impossible. If someone can't deal with that process, I wonder how they dress themselves in the morning.

Read the thread and the article - its not that easy for everyone. Not all doctors are willing to prescribe it, for reasons that they don't have to divulge... And you would never know until you needed it.. By which time you might have a job getting it from another doctor before your 72 hours is up.

Edited by erekose

Timeline

Read the thread and the article - its not that easy for everyone. Not all doctors are willing to prescribe it, for reasons that they don't have to divulge... And you would never know until you needed it.. By which time you might have a job getting it from another doctor before your 72 hours is up.

I read it when it was first posted. Even if her first doctor wouldn't prescribe it, there are women's health and general practice clinics all over the place. She could have gotten it. Yes, it is an inconvenience, but I would think it's worth it, particularly if you are against abortion and don't want to get pregnant.

On a side note, it's been recommended in several places I've read to get a prescription for it with refills whenever you go for your yearly exam, just in case. That's when you can find out your doctor's feelings on it before it becomes an emergency.

Edited by Heina

-Oscar the Grouch

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
If someone could buy it over the counter for a minor, they could do the same with a prescription.

Yeah, I guess so. It just seems like it's making it even easier for minors. I suppose many would argue that that's a good thing.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

good... not to encourage unprotected sex but i think it's good.. as it also this way in Thailand and i was soo thankful for that.

Edited by anya-D

K-1 = 4 months

AOS = 5 months

I-751 = almost one year

I Love My Life With You

"A society is judged by how it treats its animals and elderly"