~ameriptian~

Can You Speak Your Foreign SO's Native Language?

Can You Speak Your Foreign SO's Native Language?  

231 members have voted

1. 1. I am the USC, and

• I can speak my foreign SO's native language fluently. (My SO's Native Language is NOT English)
    • I understand my foreign SO's native language, but can't have a long conversation in it.
    • I can say a few words in my foreign SO's native language.
    • My foreign SO's native language is too hard, but I'm trying to learn it.
    • My foreign SO's native language is too hard, I don't think I can learn it.
    • I don't really care to learn my foreign SO's native language, we both talk in English!
    • My foreign SO's native language is English.
    • I am not the USC.
  2. 2. I am the foreign SO, and

• My USC fiance/spouse can speak my native language fluently. (My native language is NOT English)
    • My USC fiance/spouse can't speak my native language fluently, but we use it sometimes in our conversations.
    • My USC fiance/spouse can only say a few words of my native language.
    • My USC fiance/spouse can't speak my native language, but I think s/he is trying hard to learn it.
    • My USC fiance/spouse can't speak my native language, and I think s/he isn't showing enough interest to learn it.
    • I don't care if my USC fiance/spouse wants to learn my native language or not, we both talk in English!
    • My native language is English.
    • I am not the foreign SO.
  3. 3. I am the USC, and

• I will make sure our children/future children speak my foreign SO's native language fluently.
    • It's up to our children/future children if they want to learn my foreign SO's native language or not.
    • I haven't really thought about the issue before.
    • My foreign SO's native language is English.
    • This question isn't applicable to us.

66 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Well my hubby speaks six languages and I wish I could be like that and learn other languages. I have not tried to learn Urdu its hard for me to remember.

but I tried to get him to teach my kids , they learn fast. Maybe he will.

Truth of Palestine

take time to watch , give yourself time to understand. Then make your conclusions.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=676280059

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...endid=242259905

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Sweden
Timeline

I really don't want Dave to learn Swedish, then I couldn't call home and talk about him in front of him. It's so funny to watch him cringe every time I look at him and laugh while I am talking to someone back home. :devil: He has been threatening to learn Swedish secretly so he can listen in to all my conversations while pretending he doesn't understand. It would be nice if he and my mom could talk to each other without me having to translate all the time though.

The only word Dave really knows is "Tack", Swedish for "Thank you". He gets so used to saying it that he keeps on doing it even once we're back in the U.S. Last time he said "Tack" was to say thanks to the Mexican waiter at our local Mexican joint. :lol:

05-02-2004 Met in Östersund, Sweden
09-07-2007 Got married in Eden Gardens State Park, Santa Rosa Beach, FL

*************************************************************************************************

AOS

11-02-2007 - Filed

03-14-2008 - Green Card received

*************************************************************************************************

Lifting of Conditions

02-08-2010 - Filed

06-21-2010 - Green Card received

N-400

06-24-2017 - N-400 package sent via EFile

06-24-2017 - Payment received via credit card

07-01-2017 - Appointment notice received

07-19-2017 - Biometrics appointment in Atlanta, GA

08-04-2017 - Case updated. Interview scheduled. 

"Whither thou goest I will go, whither thou lodgest I will lodge,
Thy people shall be my people, And thy God my God." ~ Ruth 1:16

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
I really don't want Dave to learn Swedish, then I couldn't call home and talk about him in front of him. It's so funny to watch him cringe every time I look at him and laugh while I am talking to someone back home. :devil: He has been threatening to learn Swedish secretly so he can listen in to all my conversations while pretending he doesn't understand. It would be nice if he and my mom could talk to each other without me having to translate all the time though.

The only word Dave really knows is "Tack", Swedish for "Thank you". He gets so used to saying it that he keeps on doing it even once we're back in the U.S. Last time he said "Tack" was to say thanks to the Mexican waiter at our local Mexican joint. :lol:

:devil::lol:

Edited by Aya&John

ROC Timeline

8/1/12: ROC window opens
9/4/12: ROC packet sent
9/8/12: ROC packet delivered to VSC
9/12/12: Check cashed
9/14/12: NOA letter received (NOA dated 9/10/12)
9/20/12: Biometrics letter received (Bio appointment 10/15/12)
10/12/12: Early biometrics walk-in

4/27/13: RFE received

6/17/13: RFE response sent

7/1/13: ROC petition approved

7/5/13: GC received in the mail.

I'm the USC. I ask my husband how to say things in German all the time but I seem to forget most of it because I don't use it.

I can say, "Ich habe eine katze". For some reason I remember that one. :luv:

24q38dy.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

I now am fluent in Italian... Which is funny because when I first started going to Italy my husband would translate everything for me, now I realize that his translation skills are not very good and he will sometimes automatically translate something to me and I will say "no, thats not what they said"... But we only spoke English when we met so it is difficult for him to talk with me in Italian... We also both speak Spanish (he is much better) and I speak OK German.

10/14/2000 - Met Aboard a Cruise ship

06/14/2003 - Married Savona Italy

I-130

03/21/2009 - I-130 Mailed to Chicago lockbox

11-30-09: GOT GREEN CARD in mail!!!!!!

Citizenship Process;

1/11/2013: Mailed N400 to Dallas Texas

3/11/2013: interview.. Approved

4/4/2013. : Oath! Now a U.S. citizen!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Benin
Timeline

In the case of many Africans, their native languages are not necessarily their official languages. My husband speaks several African languages, but French is the official language of his country and the language he was educated in. It's the language we spoke together for the first 6 or 8 months of our relationship.

I would like to learn the African language he speaks with his family, but I don't think I can. It seems to have no consonants, and I know it has five tones. How can you hear tones when a word is multi-syllabic and made up entirely of vowels and semi-vowels? (only a slight exaggeration)

I would like our daughter to learn French, but he equates the language with colonialism and would prefer her to learn Fongbe which is the language he spoke almost exclusively until he started school. But there is no literature in Fongbe and no use for it outside of her African family, which sadly it seems less and less likely we will have the opportunity to visit regularly.

AOS Timeline

4/14/10 - Packet received at Chicago Lockbox at 9:22 AM (Day 1)

4/24/10 - Received hardcopy NOAs (Day 10)

5/14/10 - Biometrics taken. (Day 31)

5/29/10 - Interview letter received 6/30 at 10:30 (Day 46)

6/30/10 - Interview: 10:30 (Day 77) APPROVED!!!

6/30/10 - EAD received in the mail

7/19/10 - GC in hand! (Day 96) .

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Benin
Timeline

My husband told me he didn't really speak English when we first met, so we spoke French exclusively for the first half a year of our relationship. Then I started to realize that he was understanding everything I was saying to my friends. What a sh*t! Now we speak English almost exclusively because we were around English speakers more than we were around French speakers. I regret that we switched.

AOS Timeline

4/14/10 - Packet received at Chicago Lockbox at 9:22 AM (Day 1)

4/24/10 - Received hardcopy NOAs (Day 10)

5/14/10 - Biometrics taken. (Day 31)

5/29/10 - Interview letter received 6/30 at 10:30 (Day 46)

6/30/10 - Interview: 10:30 (Day 77) APPROVED!!!

6/30/10 - EAD received in the mail

7/19/10 - GC in hand! (Day 96) .

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

I have been in this country now for a little over 4 years and I can speak and understand American fluently.

For those with the mistaken belief that Americans speak English, I can assure you that as an Englishman, working with a Scot, a South African and someone from Boston, if you think we're all speaking the same language, you have got to be f***ing kidding me!

Don't interrupt me when I'm talking to myself

2011-11-15.garfield.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Senegal
Timeline

I speak French fluently, and speak a little of two other Senegalese languages. I'm learning, though. He's learning English right now, but for now our conversations are mostly French with smatterings of Wolof and Manding. He speaks five languages (not including English) so he doesn't think it's too much to ask for our kids to speak four languages. We'll see. I hope that it works out, but I think to really grasp the languages, they would have to grow up in Senegal.

event.png

Filed: Timeline

I learned enough Tagalog to understand what is being said, at least the topic of the conversation, and who they are talking about, before I went to see my future wife. I was already functional in Spanish, and many of the words are the same. The official languages of the RP are Tagalog and English, but few speak either language without some difficulty. Most Filipinos first language is the local dialect spoken at home, and they learn both Tagalog and English in school. So get two Filipinos together from the same region, and chances are you will have difficulty understanding them, even if you speak the "official" languages. Most of the time, they speak Taglish (English, with a Tagalog grammar), so most Americans will hear a few words they know.

The wife wants our kids to learn the language, but it's their choice as far as I am concerned. I would rather they learn Spanish first.

I have enough trouble with English to say nothing of learning Tagalog/Visayan. I was married to a Mexican for 10 years and it took her two years to teach me how to say lettuce - lechuga :wacko:

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

The only things I can say in Visayan are "naughty"..... as the SO puts it....

I-129F Mailed 13DEC09
I-129F Received 16DEC09
NOA1 Dated 16DEC09
NOA2 Dated 18MAR10 Your I-129f was approved in 92 days from your NOA1 date.
Date Package Received By NVC : 27MAR10
Your interview took 153 days from your I-129F NOA1 date
Arrival in USA 06Jun10
Married 20AUG10
AOS File 19APR11

Son born 26NOV12

removal of conditions filed 11JUN13

Biometrics appt 09JUL13