VanessaTony

AOS, EAD & AP from K1 - the Aussie way (doc list included)

543 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

thanks vanessa....i will go through the instructions..

As far as proving if we have sufficient income, my spouse makes double the required limit of a 2 person household...so i think that should not be a problem....

Do we need a G-325 for spouse too or is it just for the immigrant applying for the AOS...???

Timeline:

10/29/07: First time we met in Bangalore

11/19/07: Realized we were in love

02/22/08: Her next trip to India

04/18/08: She left India

05/30/08: My first trip to US

06/09/08: Left for India

02/12/09: Visited her again for Valentines

05/27/09: Mailed application to Vermont Service Center

06/01/09: Received NOA1

07/09/09: Visited her again in US

09/13/09: Received NOA2

09/22/09: Beth received letter from National Visa Center saying package was received and will be forwarded to Chennai within the week

09/25/09: Received email from Chennai with all the docs and interview date of October 29, 2009.

10/29/09: Interview in Chennai. Visa APPROVED!!!

12/10/09: Arrived at DFW, 5 min at the POE & i am in, apparently the officer who interviewed got his wife to USA on K1 visa,what an irony

02/14/10: Wedding at Southfork Ranch in Dallas Texas

02/14/10: Headed for a honeymoon in Las Vegas :)

02/17/10: Back from honeymoon

02/22/10: Started thinking about AOS,EAD,AP (its too much paper work)

03/06/10: Filed the AOS,EAD,AP application

03/26/10: Received NOA for AOS,EAD,AP

04/05/10: Received NOA I-797C for AOS (Case transfered to CA CSC)

04/28/10: Received NOA I-797C for Bio-metrics appointment

05/18/10: Bio-Metrics taken at the Fort Worth ASC

05/20/10: Received my AP document :)

06/03/10: Received my EAD Card and a "Welcome Letter" stating my Permanent Resident Card will be mailed soon... :)

06/17/10: Received my Permanent Resident Card (Green Card) :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
thanks vanessa....i will go through the instructions..

As far as proving if we have sufficient income, my spouse makes double the required limit of a 2 person household...so i think that should not be a problem....

Do we need a G-325 for spouse too or is it just for the immigrant applying for the AOS...???

Just for the person applying for AOS needs to complete or include documents, except for the I-864 of course.

Timeline

Thanks again Vanessa....... :D

Got all my documents together, well almost...but what are these..

A# - Is this the same number that is on your K1 visa on the lower left hand corner..

I-94# - I think this is the admission number on the I94 card..

Non Immigrant Visa # - Is this the control number on the top right corner on your K1 Visa

Even though i read up all the posts each time i am about to type out these digits on the forms i get confused all over again..... :bonk:

Timeline:

09/22/09: Beth received letter from National Visa Center saying package was received and will be forwarded to Chennai within the week

09/25/09: Received email from Chennai with all the docs and interview date of October 29, 2009.

12/10/09: Arrived at DFW, 5 min at the POE & i am in, apparently the officer who interviewed got his wife to USA on K1 visa,what an irony

06/03/10: Received my EAD Card and a "Welcome Letter" stating my Permanent Resident Card will be mailed soon... :)

Timeline
Thanks again Vanessa....... :D

Got all my documents together, well almost...but what are these..

A# - Is this the same number that is on your K1 visa on the lower left hand corner..

I-94# - I think this is the admission number on the I94 card..

Non Immigrant Visa # - Is this the control number on the top right corner on your K1 Visa

Even though i read up all the posts each time i am about to type out these digits on the forms i get confused all over again..... :bonk:

These qn's are asked all the time so don't feel bad. I might add the answers to the main post.

A# can sometimes be found on your visa, typically under annotation. It starts with an A. If it's not there then it will be on your NOA2 at least, above the beneficiaries name.

I-94 you're right. The admission number

Non-immigrant is the RED number on the visa.

Timeline

Just a question relating to the AOS form - It asks "Current USCIS status" - I put "K1 visa holder?" And for "Date Expires On" I put the date my actual visa expires, or the date my I-94 expires, since that is when my 90 days are up?

Married February 20, 2010

Permanent Resident April 22, 2010

Naturalized Citizen January 14, 2014

Proud Dual Citizen of Australia and the USA!

Timeline

If you see the example forms on VJ the date is that of the 90 day time frame....so i put my date as that on the I-94 card and yes the status should be "K-1 Visa Holder"

Thanks Vanessa, i found all the numbers on the visa, now what is the control number....?????

Timeline:

Timeline
If you see the example forms on VJ the date is that of the 90 day time frame....so i put my date as that on the I-94 card and yes the status should be "K-1 Visa Holder"

Thanks Vanessa, i found all the numbers on the visa, now what is the control number....?????

The control number, at least on my visa, is marked, and it is on the top right hand side of the visa. I don't believe they need that number from us. All they need is the visa number, and our A number.

Timeline
The control number, at least on my visa, is marked, and it is on the top right hand side of the visa. I don't believe they need that number from us. All they need is the visa number, and our A number.

Yep what she said but you're wondering what that number means maybe? It's your case number. When you filed your K1 you had a case number and that's it (well at least that's what mine is). It's not used at all anymore, now you have your alien number and THAT'S the important number to remember and keep a record of.

Timeline
Yep what she said but you're wondering what that number means maybe? It's your case number. When you filed your K1 you had a case number and that's it (well at least that's what mine is). It's not used at all anymore, now you have your alien number and THAT'S the important number to remember and keep a record of.

Thanks for clarifying Vanessa.

Now, I am going to ask a bonehead question....and I'm going to blame it on still being sleep deprived and the two glasses of wine I just drank. When filing for AOS, AP and EAD, I am filing with my married name, right? All the forms with have my new last name, as will the cover letters and such. Since that is the name that I want to be on my green card, EAD etc? Because obviously USCIS will make the connection between me showing copies of our marriage certificate and copies of my passport and visa, right?

Sorry, I know it's a bonehead thing to ask. But I'd rather ask and feel embarrassed than not ask and stuff up!

Timeline
Just a question relating to the AOS form - It asks "Current USCIS status" - I put "K1 visa holder?" And for "Date Expires On" I put the date my actual visa expires, or the date my I-94 expires, since that is when my 90 days are up?

Personally, I wrote "Fiancee Visa (K1)" for status though the example says "K1 visa holder". Basically the same thing.

The date is the I-94 date because your visa is already "voided" so the I-94 is the important date now :D

The example forms for AOS aren't too bad, just remember to read the forms yourself because the example does fill in part a K1's not supposed to (on the I-131 specficially).

Oh p.s. re the vaccinations, have you decided if you will see a CS?

Thanks for clarifying Vanessa.

Now, I am going to ask a bonehead question....and I'm going to blame it on still being sleep deprived and the two glasses of wine I just drank. When filing for AOS, AP and EAD, I am filing with my married name, right? All the forms with have my new last name, as will the cover letters and such. Since that is the name that I want to be on my green card, EAD etc? Because obviously USCIS will make the connection between me showing copies of our marriage certificate and copies of my passport and visa, right?

Sorry, I know it's a bonehead thing to ask. But I'd rather ask and feel embarrassed than not ask and stuff up!

completely right :) I know it seems weird because none of your ID is changed, but if you don't write your married name now, you'll need to get a replacement card when you get it (to change your name) and it costs about $300 (happened to a couple of people). Married name on ALL documents and maiden name in the "other/prior names" section.

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Timeline
Personally, I wrote "Fiancee Visa (K1)" for status though the example says "K1 visa holder". Basically the same thing.

The date is the I-94 date because your visa is already "voided" so the I-94 is the important date now :D

The example forms for AOS aren't too bad, just remember to read the forms yourself because the example does fill in part a K1's not supposed to (on the I-131 specficially).

Oh p.s. re the vaccinations, have you decided if you will see a CS?

completely right :) I know it seems weird because none of your ID is changed, but if you don't write your married name now, you'll need to get a replacement card when you get it (to change your name) and it costs about $300 (happened to a couple of people). Married name on ALL documents and maiden name in the "other/prior names" section.

Ahh, Vanessa, always the voice of reason ;)

I am not going to see a CS, mainly because I know that all my shots are good to go and I think we can get away with it. And Alex and I think it's a risk worth taking, and we are not going to be too put out if we get an RFE. What about you?

Yeah, it's weird...I know I am Astrid So and So now, but they rest of the world doesn't really! Except the LA County Clerk. At least now I have the marriage cert so I can whip that out as proof! Looking forward to getting my licence and getting all the new ID's, just to make life easier!

Timeline
Ahh, Vanessa, always the voice of reason ;)

I am not going to see a CS, mainly because I know that all my shots are good to go and I think we can get away with it. And Alex and I think it's a risk worth taking, and we are not going to be too put out if we get an RFE. What about you?

Yeah, it's weird...I know I am Astrid So and So now, but they rest of the world doesn't really! Except the LA County Clerk. At least now I have the marriage cert so I can whip that out as proof! Looking forward to getting my licence and getting all the new ID's, just to make life easier!

I sent you a PM on FB re vaccinations but quick answer is yeah. I'm gunna see a CS 'cause I'll be in Iowa by then and it's SO cheap to get things done there (like $20 maybe.. I have to call more) and I would prefer to keep my "RFE-less-ness".. lol. Also because I read that RFE's slow you down by like 30-60 days!!

I told Tony that while I know I'm Mrs and so do my family, all my ID still says maiden name and i'm excited to FINALLY start getting all that stuff updated 'cause it'll feel more "official". :D

Timeline

i got my shots last Friday at the local health dept, i called a local CS and she gave me the cost of each shot plus examination it totalled upto $600.....the lady was also sweet enough to point out where to get my shots..

Each shot cost me $20, wonderful feeling to knowingly have saved hundreds of dollars...:)

@ Vanessa, well i have all my docs together except I-693, thanks to you again......the only thing is about the 1099's. My I-94 expires on Mar 10 2010 so i want to file it out within that date (i know there is lot of debate going on that i can file it later too)

My fiancee has got both W2's and 1040EZ's but she has to order for 1099, she makes twice the minimum household income..., what am i going to prove with 1099 if i can already show the income made is more than sufficient.....is it really necassary...

Timeline:

Timeline
@ Vanessa, well i have all my docs together except I-693, thanks to you again......the only thing is about the 1099's. My I-94 expires on Mar 10 2010 so i want to file it out within that date (i know there is lot of debate going on that i can file it later too)

My fiancee has got both W2's and 1040EZ's but she has to order for 1099, she makes twice the minimum household income..., what am i going to prove with 1099 if i can already show the income made is more than sufficient.....is it really necassary...

I'm a little confused.. you said "fiance" but I assume wife now right?? You have to be married to do all this :P

One of the easiest things is to call the IRS and get tax transcripts. There is a post here about it: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...t&p=3614293 remember to read UNDER the quoted text :D

Hope that helps.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
WOW impressive info! i've already sent my AOS, it was delivered on the 5th of jan, I sent the form G-1145, but haven't recieved an email yet, has anyone sent their's in with this form? & if so how long did u wait to get an email?

Hi! We also filed our application recently. What RFE did you guys received? Today I received an email requesting for initial evidence too. Hopefully tomorrow we will receive the hard copy of the RFE because I am very worried what are those evidences they are requesting. I think it's the I-693 because I only sent the DS-2035 since on the last immunization update that I read HPV vaccinations are not required anymore but now it is included in the llist again. I'm so sad that my status was put on hold because of this.. :crying:

I-130 for mom

08/04/2014 mailed the I-130 petition via USPS riority mail

08/06/2014 USCIS received the papers and routed to Nebraska Service Center (NSC) for processing

08/08/2014 received NOA in the mail

08/11/2014 checks have been cleared

08/28/2014 received approval notice in the mail. Petition was approved on 08/26/14

09/03/2014 NCS shipped the approved case to the Department of State for visa processing

I-130 for dad

08/04/2014 mailed the I-130 petition via USPS priority mail

08/06/2014 USCIS received the papers and routed to Nebraska Service Center for processing

08/08/2014 received NOA in the mail 08/11/2014 checks have been cleared

08/29/2014 received RFE letter in the mail

09/05/2014 sent documents with RFE letter to Nebraska Service Center via USPS priority mail

09/07/2014 RFE packet was delivered

09/08/2014 USCIS received the RFE documents

09/17/2014 notified thru text that the petition was approved

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.