VanessaTony

AOS, EAD & AP from K1 - the Aussie way (doc list included)

543 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
Question

So when doing the AP form do you have to name a date you will need this form for or is it a something that can be left blank?

Jason

I've put "unknown" on mine. Its more for emergency travel and not everyone can plan an emergency :D

Quick question,

Has anyone applied for a SS number yet? If you have do you have any tips to make the process easy? ie what to take etc.

Jason

April 1, 2010 - AOS, EAD, AP package sent

April 7, 2010 - Package received

April 14, 2010 - NOA's for AOS, EAD and AP

May 27, 2010 - Biometrics Taken

June 17, 2010 - Interview letter received

July 23, 2010 - Interview date

July 23, 2010 - approved

May 17, 2012 - I751 filed

Timeline
Quick question,

Has anyone applied for a SS number yet? If you have do you have any tips to make the process easy? ie what to take etc.

Jason

I definitely have :) I needed it to open a bank account which is really good for the AOS interview that you have a joint account. Apparently you can't get on some health insurance etc without one either.

Here's the SSN guide: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...om&page=ssn

I personally had no issues. I printed the pages the guide suggested "just in case" but they weren't needed. Complete the form SS-5 (link in the guide). Take your passport and visa. It should be very simple. Make sure there's more than 14 days left on your I-94.

Can you change your profile info too? Go to the control panel and "edit profile info" and there's a section called "immigration status". I'd change yours to AOS pending even though you haven't applied yet, it's pending because.. well.. it's yet to happen :P

Oh, and welcome to the US!! Happy to see you had a safe flight :D

So I can tick the box "Legal Alien Allowed To Work" even though I do not have it yet but will be applying for it?

July 23, 2010 - approved

Timeline
So I can tick the box "Legal Alien Allowed To Work" even though I do not have it yet but will be applying for it?

Yeah because you're authorised to work with DHS authorisation (which is what they'll stamp on it).

if in doubt you can do what I did and leave that unticked until you get to the booth and I explained it to the lady and she ticked it for me just so I was sure.

Then when you get your greencard you can go back and have the "DHS Authorisation required" removed.

Yeah because you're authorised to work with DHS authorisation (which is what they'll stamp on it).

if in doubt you can do what I did and leave that unticked until you get to the booth and I explained it to the lady and she ticked it for me just so I was sure.

Then when you get your greencard you can go back and have the "DHS Authorisation required" removed.

It's funny that you ask that question Jason....I was just filling out my application for a SS number today. I wasn't 100% sure but I ticked "Legal Alien Allowed to Work" anyway after reading "RM 00203.500" in the SSN Guide (I though it must be right). Vanessa, I'm glad you clarified that so now I'm 100% sure. Thanks! :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Guys,

I need some help, I am still in Australia as all my plans have changed, i was supposed to leave for the US on the 19th of Feb however i have delayed this till the 6th of May. The visa in my passport expires on the 17th of May. Will I have any issues because i left the POE to the last minute??

Do I still have the 90 day period to get married from POE?

Timeline
Guys,

I need some help, I am still in Australia as all my plans have changed, i was supposed to leave for the US on the 19th of Feb however i have delayed this till the 6th of May. The visa in my passport expires on the 17th of May. Will I have any issues because i left the POE to the last minute??

Do I still have the 90 day period to get married from POE?

Don't worry it's perfectly fine. As long as you're in before the visa expires it's fine (they might ask... but I doubt it). And yes, once you enter you then have 90 days to get married. :D

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline
Don't worry it's perfectly fine. As long as you're in before the visa expires it's fine (they might ask... but I doubt it). And yes, once you enter you then have 90 days to get married. :D

Your the best Vanessa. Thank you

Well just got back from doing my Social Security forms and all went well with the lady asking 2 questions and then saying your card will be posted in 2 weeks

Question 1 was have you ever applied before?

Question 2 was have you ever worked in the US before?

No to both so all good :)

July 23, 2010 - approved

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

This is an amazing post Vanessa :thumbs: , very detailed and very helful.....

i am filing for my AOS and this comes in very handy....i shall consider your checklist for gathering my information....

The sad part is that i need to get my vaccinations here and get my I-693 completed with a CS...that is going to delay my process a little bit though...

I had one question though, assuming that we get an RFE, do we have to pay the $1010 fee again and send in the additional evidence or we just send in the requred info.......has anybody done it before...????

Thanks again...all the best for those who are applying for AOS

Ravi_beth

Timeline:

10/29/07: First time we met in Bangalore

11/19/07: Realized we were in love

02/22/08: Her next trip to India

04/18/08: She left India

05/30/08: My first trip to US

06/09/08: Left for India

02/12/09: Visited her again for Valentines

05/27/09: Mailed application to Vermont Service Center

06/01/09: Received NOA1

07/09/09: Visited her again in US

09/13/09: Received NOA2

09/22/09: Beth received letter from National Visa Center saying package was received and will be forwarded to Chennai within the week

09/25/09: Received email from Chennai with all the docs and interview date of October 29, 2009.

10/29/09: Interview in Chennai. Visa APPROVED!!!

12/10/09: Arrived at DFW, 5 min at the POE & i am in, apparently the officer who interviewed got his wife to USA on K1 visa,what an irony

02/14/10: Wedding at Southfork Ranch in Dallas Texas

02/14/10: Headed for a honeymoon in Las Vegas :)

02/17/10: Back from honeymoon

02/22/10: Started thinking about AOS,EAD,AP (its too much paper work)

03/06/10: Filed the AOS,EAD,AP application

03/26/10: Received NOA for AOS,EAD,AP

04/05/10: Received NOA I-797C for AOS (Case transfered to CA CSC)

04/28/10: Received NOA I-797C for Bio-metrics appointment

05/18/10: Bio-Metrics taken at the Fort Worth ASC

05/20/10: Received my AP document :)

06/03/10: Received my EAD Card and a "Welcome Letter" stating my Permanent Resident Card will be mailed soon... :)

06/17/10: Received my Permanent Resident Card (Green Card) :)

Timeline
This is an amazing post Vanessa :thumbs: , very detailed and very helful.....

i am filing for my AOS and this comes in very handy....i shall consider your checklist for gathering my information....

The sad part is that i need to get my vaccinations here and get my I-693 completed with a CS...that is going to delay my process a little bit though...

I had one question though, assuming that we get an RFE, do we have to pay the $1010 fee again and send in the additional evidence or we just send in the requred info.......has anybody done it before...????

Thanks again...all the best for those who are applying for AOS

Ravi_beth

If you receive an RFE it's just asking you to send more evidence. You will NOT be required to send another fee, just to send the documents they required and typically a copy of the RFE (or the original and keep a copy yourself) as well.

As for the thread, no problem :D Happy to help :D

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

one other question......

- can we submitt 2 years of income tax returns (Income tax return, W-2's, 1099's) or we have to submitt for 3 years....we dont have the tax returns for 3 years..

- is IRS transcipts really important because it takes about 7-10 days to get one

However we can also submitt the following proof with I-864

- Letter from employer

- Pay stubs for 6 months

- Bank statements for 6 months

Timeline:

10/29/07: First time we met in Bangalore

11/19/07: Realized we were in love

02/22/08: Her next trip to India

04/18/08: She left India

05/30/08: My first trip to US

06/09/08: Left for India

02/12/09: Visited her again for Valentines

05/27/09: Mailed application to Vermont Service Center

06/01/09: Received NOA1

07/09/09: Visited her again in US

09/13/09: Received NOA2

09/22/09: Beth received letter from National Visa Center saying package was received and will be forwarded to Chennai within the week

09/25/09: Received email from Chennai with all the docs and interview date of October 29, 2009.

10/29/09: Interview in Chennai. Visa APPROVED!!!

12/10/09: Arrived at DFW, 5 min at the POE & i am in, apparently the officer who interviewed got his wife to USA on K1 visa,what an irony

02/14/10: Wedding at Southfork Ranch in Dallas Texas

02/14/10: Headed for a honeymoon in Las Vegas :)

02/17/10: Back from honeymoon

02/22/10: Started thinking about AOS,EAD,AP (its too much paper work)

03/06/10: Filed the AOS,EAD,AP application

03/26/10: Received NOA for AOS,EAD,AP

04/05/10: Received NOA I-797C for AOS (Case transfered to CA CSC)

04/28/10: Received NOA I-797C for Bio-metrics appointment

05/18/10: Bio-Metrics taken at the Fort Worth ASC

05/20/10: Received my AP document :)

06/03/10: Received my EAD Card and a "Welcome Letter" stating my Permanent Resident Card will be mailed soon... :)

06/17/10: Received my Permanent Resident Card (Green Card) :)

Timeline
one other question......

- can we submitt 2 years of income tax returns (Income tax return, W-2's, 1099's) or we have to submitt for 3 years....we dont have the tax returns for 3 years.. Page 8 of the instructions (here: http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-864.pdf ) states: "You must provide either an IRS transcript or a photocopy from your own records of your Federal individual income tax return for the most recent tax year. If you believe additional returns may help you to establish your ability to maintain sufficient income, you may submit transcripts or photocopies of your Federal individual income tax returns for the three most recent years." So you can see they're not NEEDED but the more info the better of course :)

- is IRS transcipts really important because it takes about 7-10 days to get one Not necessary no but personally I prefer them as you can be sure you haven't forgotten something. It's not really a long time to wait. Ours came pretty quick actually.

However we can also submitt the following proof with I-864

- Letter from employer

- Pay stubs for 6 months

- Bank statements for 6 months

Those are good as extras, but they aren't the "needs". The financial stuff is discussed in the instructions page 7 and 8. If you need to include assets that starts at the bottom of page 8

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.