VanessaTony

AOS, EAD & AP from K1 - the Aussie way (doc list included)

543 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

This is something that just occurred to Alex and I last night. We are looking at taking a delayed honeymoon in Mexico in the middle of August this year, and we will be applying for my AOS this March. Looking at the timelines page, they are processing AP and EAD's in a bit over two months. Do you think we would be taking a risk by booking an overseas trip that is six months away when we don't have a green card or AP for me yet?

Married February 20, 2010

Permanent Resident April 22, 2010

Naturalized Citizen January 14, 2014

Proud Dual Citizen of Australia and the USA!

Timeline
This is something that just occurred to Alex and I last night. We are looking at taking a delayed honeymoon in Mexico in the middle of August this year, and we will be applying for my AOS this March. Looking at the timelines page, they are processing AP and EAD's in a bit over two months. Do you think we would be taking a risk by booking an overseas trip that is six months away when we don't have a green card or AP for me yet?

Well, if it takes the "standard" 3 months, applying in March means you're looking at June, July at the latest. BUT as always you will need to make sure someone is checking the mail.

The other issue is, what if they book the interview / biometrics while you're away? Though honestly biometrics at least should be BEFORE then, it's the interview I'd be concerned about most.

I'm a pretty "risky" person so I would probably book it but at the same time make sure you look at whether you can change the tickets if required, and how much it would cost... Although I'm risky (with flights) I'm a bit more cautious in terms of all this stuff and will only use my AP in case of an emergency. You get a set number of them and I just wouldn't want to risk it (though my dad isn't as young as he used to be so I'm a little more conscious of an emergency situation).

6 months is a decent length away though and I would THINK you're safe to book it.. and I would HOPE that you have your interview long before then. Ooo exciting!!

Timeline

So with interviews...you can't reschedule them at all? I didn't actually think of that. We are only going for a week, the odds of having the interview during the time we are away are pretty slim, right? I am a bit of a risk taker too, but I think we are going to have to weigh our options. Damn USCIS, they are going to have a finger in the pie of our lives for a long time, aren't they?

Timeline
So with interviews...you can't reschedule them at all? I didn't actually think of that. We are only going for a week, the odds of having the interview during the time we are away are pretty slim, right? I am a bit of a risk taker too, but I think we are going to have to weigh our options. Damn USCIS, they are going to have a finger in the pie of our lives for a long time, aren't they?

There's a guy who's actually talking about rescheduling at the moment. People were telling him that he shouldn't because some people have had to wait AGES for it to be rescheduled. There are other stories about people missing the interview (sickness or something) and them getting denied.

Not trying to scare you. If it's just a week, hell i'd book it. You can always come back earlier if you need to but THINK POSITIVE. Yep. i'd book it :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Does anyone know typically how long it takes for the interview after the AOS paperwork is filed?

I need to leave the US for around two months after I receive my AP I have things in Australia that I need to be here for.. I know its very risky but as long as I have my AP and EAD I am not to worried about when I get the actual greencard.

After reading the recent posts I totally forgot about the interview and not being here for it. I guess worst case I can fly back for the interview if need be.

Timeline
Does anyone know typically how long it takes for the interview after the AOS paperwork is filed?

I need to leave the US for around two months after I receive my AP I have things in Australia that I need to be here for.. I know its very risky but as long as I have my AP and EAD I am not to worried about when I get the actual greencard.

After reading the recent posts I totally forgot about the interview and not being here for it. I guess worst case I can fly back for the interview if need be.

I have no idea....the timelines on this site only show how long between NOA1 and getting the AP/EAD...to get an average time for an interview, you would have to find the spreadsheet for your local office and work it out from there maybe?

EDIT -

Hang on, found this:

Overall AOS Statistics (for the last 360 days)

Total Records - 634

Avg. Total Days to Interview - 134

Avg. Days to 1st NOA - 10

Avg. Days btw 1st NOA Biometrics - 27

Avg. Days btw Biometrics and Interview (if interview required) - 96

Avg. Days btw Biometrics and Decision Date - 94

Avg. Days btw Decision Date and Receiving Green Card - 14

If you go HERE it also lists the stats for each area office.

Edited by alex and astrid

I have no idea....the timelines on this site only show how long between NOA1 and getting the AP/EAD...to get an average time for an interview, you would have to find the spreadsheet for your local office and work it out from there maybe?

EDIT -

Hang on, found this:

Overall AOS Statistics (for the last 360 days)

Total Records - 634

Avg. Total Days to Interview - 134

Avg. Days to 1st NOA - 10

Avg. Days btw 1st NOA Biometrics - 27

Avg. Days btw Biometrics and Interview (if interview required) - 96

Avg. Days btw Biometrics and Decision Date - 94

Avg. Days btw Decision Date and Receiving Green Card - 14

If you go HERE it also lists the stats for each area office.

Oh sh!t I did not even think about that as we will file AOS at end of March but also have booked a week in Florida at Disneyworld at the end of Sept so I hope this will not cause any problems.

Jason

April 1, 2010 - AOS, EAD, AP package sent

April 7, 2010 - Package received

April 14, 2010 - NOA's for AOS, EAD and AP

May 27, 2010 - Biometrics Taken

June 17, 2010 - Interview letter received

July 23, 2010 - Interview date

July 23, 2010 - approved

May 17, 2012 - I751 filed

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I have been following timelimes from other filers closely, usually after 3 months of filing is about right. If your lucky, your case might be transfered to CSC (although there might still be a small chance where your case being sent back and end up having an interview anyway). You can never be too sure until it's all over and done with. :-??

thCat_Dancing.gif

12.15.2009 - Mailed out AOS

12.29.2009 - NOAs Received-hard copies

01.02.2010 - Biometrics appt. r'cved for Jan.19,2010

01.15.2010 - Walk in Biometrics - DONE

02.03.2010 - Case Transfered to CSC

02.16.2010 - I-765 approved. card production ordered

02.24.2010 - Employment Authorization Card arrived today!

03.05.2010 - I-485 APPROVED, "Notice mailed welcoming the new permanent resident"

03.11.2010 - "Welcome to the US of A" letter arrived

03.12.2010 - PR Card arrived

Dec. 5, 2011 (Monday) - Is the date when I can apply for Removal of Conditions

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Yes G-325 is the only one that requires 4 copies. Not sure why, that's just what the instructions say.

Hm, we never did 4 copies of G-325, and we were fine. We did submit one for my husband (the USC), though, but that was probably extraneous.

Naturalization Journey

----------------------------------------------------

12/18/12 - Send N-400 package to Phoenix Lockbox!

12/21/12 - Delivered and signed for by Fernando Dominguez

12/24/12 - E-mail notification that file sent to NBC (now able to check case status online!)

12/28/12 - E-mail notification that biometrics notice was sent!

01/08/13 - Biometrics!

04/02/13 - Interview! Passed!

May 2013 - Oath Ceremony!

Timeline
Hm, we never did 4 copies of G-325, and we were fine. We did submit one for my husband (the USC), though, but that was probably extraneous.

Yes the form has changed now (when i did this I hadn't checked i had the latest forms and i can't go back and edit the OP, much as I would like to), and now the instructions DON'T mention 4 copies, but they do say that previous editions of the form are accepted, which is the 4 page one as opposed to 1. Personally submitting one copy of the form is fine, but I'll be submitting 4 and they can shred any extras :D

The USC has nothing to do with this process except the I-864 so yeah, the USC G-325A was unnecessary (and i won't be sending one :P) but as always, too much is better than not enough :D

Timeline

I just had a big "#######?" moment. Is the AOS package not like the K1 submission that we sent in, in that we DON't provide proof of relationship? Am I correct in thinking that Alex and I don't need to submit things like pics from the wedding, paperwork showing our names on bank accounts, health insurance etc, only the specific paperwork that USCIS asks for? Or, can we 'front load' the petition and provide all this additional stuff ahead of time?

The only reason that I would not provide all this additional information ahead of time (apart from photos) is that LA County apparently takes FOUR TO SIX FREAKING WEEKS!!! to issue a proper marriage certificate, and we can't do any name change stuff with the ceremonial copy. All to do with all the forms of my ID having my maiden name - even though we have the marriage licence stating what my old and new names are, and this document is valid statewide. I guess banks and other agencies just like making newly married women's lives a nightmare?

/end rant.

So yeah, what's the go on this?

Timeline
I just had a big "#######?" moment. Is the AOS package not like the K1 submission that we sent in, in that we DON't provide proof of relationship? Am I correct in thinking that Alex and I don't need to submit things like pics from the wedding, paperwork showing our names on bank accounts, health insurance etc, only the specific paperwork that USCIS asks for? Or, can we 'front load' the petition and provide all this additional stuff ahead of time?

The only reason that I would not provide all this additional information ahead of time (apart from photos) is that LA County apparently takes FOUR TO SIX FREAKING WEEKS!!! to issue a proper marriage certificate, and we can't do any name change stuff with the ceremonial copy. All to do with all the forms of my ID having my maiden name - even though we have the marriage licence stating what my old and new names are, and this document is valid statewide. I guess banks and other agencies just like making newly married women's lives a nightmare?

/end rant.

Yep you're right. NO front-loading required. All you need to send is the marriage certificate (of course) :D and then take all evidence to the interview (if you get one). Stuff like bills in joint names, and joint bank account etc. No stress :D

Just send the stuff saying you got married and go from there :D You WILL need to wait for the proper marriage certificate but that's not a big deal. Married soon!!

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

/end rant.

If you take your marriage certificate in person to the county clerk they may certify and seal it that day. That's what we did with ours, but then again we are from a different state.

:)

thCat_Dancing.gif

12.15.2009 - Mailed out AOS

12.29.2009 - NOAs Received-hard copies

01.02.2010 - Biometrics appt. r'cved for Jan.19,2010

01.15.2010 - Walk in Biometrics - DONE

02.03.2010 - Case Transfered to CSC

02.16.2010 - I-765 approved. card production ordered

02.24.2010 - Employment Authorization Card arrived today!

03.05.2010 - I-485 APPROVED, "Notice mailed welcoming the new permanent resident"

03.11.2010 - "Welcome to the US of A" letter arrived

03.12.2010 - PR Card arrived

Dec. 5, 2011 (Monday) - Is the date when I can apply for Removal of Conditions

Timeline
If you take your marriage certificate in person to the county clerk they may certify and seal it that day. That's what we did with ours, but then again we are from a different state.

:)

Nope, Los Angeles County like to make peoples lives difficult. As it is, to make things quicker I am going to be hand delivering our signed marriage licence to the central office (two hours away), instead of the district one to shave a week or two off the wait time.

Vanessa - I am really surprised that we don't need to show any other evidence. Does make it easier though, since it gives us time to get my name changed over and everything combined.

Question

So when doing the AP form do you have to name a date you will need this form for or is it a something that can be left blank?

Jason

April 1, 2010 - AOS, EAD, AP package sent

April 7, 2010 - Package received

April 14, 2010 - NOA's for AOS, EAD and AP

May 27, 2010 - Biometrics Taken

June 17, 2010 - Interview letter received

July 23, 2010 - Interview date

July 23, 2010 - approved

May 17, 2012 - I751 filed

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.