VanessaTony

AOS, EAD & AP from K1 - the Aussie way (doc list included)

543 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

I was going thru uscis website and they have a list of evidence and documentation which needs to be submitted along with I-485. It does not say anything about submitting 4 copies of G325a also what govt id needs to be submitted? i think i will have to also submit vaccination as well DS-3025 here is the list...

Supporting Evidence for the Form I-485

You should submit all of the following evidence and documentation with your application:

Two passport-style photos

Form G-325A, Biographic Information

Copy of your government issued photo identification

Copy of your birth certificate

Copy of passport page with nonimmigrant visa

Copy of passport page with admission (entry) or parole stamp

Form I-94, Admission/Departure Record

Evidence of your marriage to the U.S. citizen within 90 days (for K-1s)

Form I-693, Report of Medical Examination and Vaccination Record, if applicable

Form I-864, Affidavit of Support

Copy of approved Form I-130 or Form I-797, Notice of Action, if Form I-130 is pending (if K-3 or K-4)

Copies of any other approved application or waiver you have had in relation with your application for K status (Approved Form I-129F, Form I-601, Application for Waiver of Excludability, etc.)

Applicable filing fees.

Edited by Omark

Timeline

Also this is what its says about the Medical exams for K-1s.

Medical Examination

If you received a medical examination prior to admission as a K nonimmigrant, then you are not required to have another medical examination at time of adjustment as long as:

Your Form I-485 is filed within 1 year of your overseas medical examination

The medical examination did not reveal a Class A medical condition

If you did have a Class A medical condition, you received a waiver of inadmissibility and you have complied with the terms and conditions of the waiver

Even if a new medical examination is not required, you still must show proof that you have complied with the vaccination requirements. If the vaccination record (DS 3025) was not properly completed and included as part of the original, overseas medical examination report, you will have to have the vaccination report completed by a designated civil surgeon. In this case, you are required to submit Part 1, Information About You, Part 2, the vaccination chart, and Part 5, the Civil Surgeon's Certification, of Form I-693 (in an envelop sealed by the civil surgeon). Please see the instructions for Form I-693 for further information.

In my case i did not have vaccination done in my home country so i will have to do it here and send a copy along with the package...Any feedback guys?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
I was going thru uscis website and they have a list of evidence and documentation which needs to be submitted along with I-485. It does not say anything about submitting 4 copies of G325a also what govt id needs to be submitted? i think i will have to also submit vaccination as well DS-3025 here is the list...

Supporting Evidence for the Form I-485

You should submit all of the following evidence and documentation with your application:

Two passport-style photos

Form G-325A, Biographic Information

Copy of your government issued photo identification

Copy of your birth certificate

Copy of passport page with nonimmigrant visa

Copy of passport page with admission (entry) or parole stamp

Form I-94, Admission/Departure Record

Evidence of your marriage to the U.S. citizen within 90 days (for K-1s)

Form I-693, Report of Medical Examination and Vaccination Record, if applicable

Form I-864, Affidavit of Support

Copy of approved Form I-130 or Form I-797, Notice of Action, if Form I-130 is pending (if K-3 or K-4)

Copies of any other approved application or waiver you have had in relation with your application for K status (Approved Form I-129F, Form I-601, Application for Waiver of Excludability, etc.)

Applicable filing fees.

There has been a lot of debate about how many copies of the G325a to submit. I have always submitted four copies. It doesn't hurt to submit four. When you fill it in using Acrobat, it does autofill for you, so it's no extra work. As Vanessa has said, it's easier for them to shred extras then ask us for more copies! As for the government issued ID, it is referring to either a driver's licence, a passport, or a green card. Since a green card or a passport are federally issued documents, I would use those as the government ID.

Also this is what its says about the Medical exams for K-1s.

Medical Examination

If you received a medical examination prior to admission as a K nonimmigrant, then you are not required to have another medical examination at time of adjustment as long as:

Your Form I-485 is filed within 1 year of your overseas medical examination

The medical examination did not reveal a Class A medical condition

If you did have a Class A medical condition, you received a waiver of inadmissibility and you have complied with the terms and conditions of the waiver

Even if a new medical examination is not required, you still must show proof that you have complied with the vaccination requirements. If the vaccination record (DS 3025) was not properly completed and included as part of the original, overseas medical examination report, you will have to have the vaccination report completed by a designated civil surgeon. In this case, you are required to submit Part 1, Information About You, Part 2, the vaccination chart, and Part 5, the Civil Surgeon's Certification, of Form I-693 (in an envelop sealed by the civil surgeon). Please see the instructions for Form I-693 for further information.

In my case i did not have vaccination done in my home country so i will have to do it here and send a copy along with the package...Any feedback guys?

The answer lies here - Even if a new medical examination is not required, you still must show proof that you have complied with the vaccination requirements. If the vaccination record (DS 3025) was not properly completed and included as part of the original, overseas medical examination report, you will have to have the vaccination report completed by a designated civil surgeon.

But, you have left out a key piece of information. Did you not have the shots done because you wanted to wait to have them in the US (for example, completing a series of shots)? Or, did you not have any shots done because your panel physician deemed them not needed? If you did not have some shots done because you wanted to finish the series in the US, you have to complete them in the US, get the supplemental form done, and submit it. If you did not need any shots done in your home country because you were up to date, or they were not age-appropriate, it appears you do not need the supplement. The latter scenario applies to Vanessa's case, and will apply to mine.

Married February 20, 2010

Permanent Resident April 22, 2010

Naturalized Citizen January 14, 2014

Proud Dual Citizen of Australia and the USA!

Timeline

Physician in my home country told me vaccination is not required at the time of medical since it was the K-1 but he also added they(uscis) may ask you to have it done after you arrived or when you adjust status.So in your opinion should i go ahead and have it done or just send the package without it?

I have couple of other silly questions as well, as follows.

Is Admission number the same as I-94 number?

Also on I-485 i wrote K-1 in the box where it asked Current USCIS status and in the next box it asked Expires on,is it the expiration date on my I-94 or on the VISA?

Is control number on the visa stamp is the non-immigrant visa number?

Thank you so much for your help.

Timeline
Physician in my home country told me vaccination is not required at the time of medical since it was the K-1 but he also added they(uscis) may ask you to have it done after you arrived or when you adjust status.So in your opinion should i go ahead and have it done or just send the package without it?

I have couple of other silly questions as well, as follows.

Is Admission number the same as I-94 number?

Also on I-485 i wrote K-1 in the box where it asked Current USCIS status and in the next box it asked Expires on,is it the expiration date on my I-94 or on the VISA?

Is control number on the visa stamp is the non-immigrant visa number?

Thank you so much for your help.

I think you need to call your local civil surgeon in regards to what vaccinations you may require to avoid an RFE.

I do not know if the admission number is the same as the number on your I-94, but, an educated guess would be yes that it is, since that is the only other number you have, apart from your A-number.

As far as I know, the control number is your visa number.

I do not have a govt issued ID yet.All i have is my Paki passport and I-94 and a paki id card so what shud i submitt as far as a govt issued id concern? any idea? :)

Your passport is a form of government ID. It is not asking for a US government ID as far as I am aware, just for A government issued ID.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline

Hey, Astrid, Toney, Vanessa other VJers,

Major nightmare at 5 AM this morning we had our Embassy Interview on January 7th and everything went fine and then some of you know, mother got sick and we had to reschedule her flight and so on and so forth.

Well we were waiting, breathlessly for her visa to arrive and after the 5th day thought something was up. She finally got a call from DHL wondering when she would be home to deliver it. Then she finally got this this morning and then she proceeded to OPEN THE YELLOW ENVELOPE by mistake.

I guess that she didn't know, didn't see the caution stickers on the seal. She tried to close it and repair/reseal the stickers but I think that the people at the POE would know as they see those envelopes all the time.

I was going crazy as to what to do, I consult/search the VJ forum for answers but didn't get much of one. So luckily I tried, but failed, to call the Embassy and didn't get through. She tried and did get through and the lady that she spoke to told her no problem just bring it back in any time that they are open and in 15 minutes she can reseal the envelope for her.

She is going to fly out of Warsaw Poland on the 27th of January and was going to try and be there and get it done the day before but I cautioned her about that idea if something goes wrong, not the time to do when you are getting on a plane the next day for the US.

So hopefully she can get it done....suffice to say there is a lesson here and that is - DO NOT OPEN THAT YELLOW ENVELOPE THAT COMES BACK FROM THE EMBASSY!

Bernie

Timeline
Hey, Astrid, Toney, Vanessa other VJers,

Major nightmare at 5 AM this morning we had our Embassy Interview on January 7th and everything went fine and then some of you know, mother got sick and we had to reschedule her flight and so on and so forth.

Well we were waiting, breathlessly for her visa to arrive and after the 5th day thought something was up. She finally got a call from DHL wondering when she would be home to deliver it. Then she finally got this this morning and then she proceeded to OPEN THE YELLOW ENVELOPE by mistake.

I guess that she didn't know, didn't see the caution stickers on the seal. She tried to close it and repair/reseal the stickers but I think that the people at the POE would know as they see those envelopes all the time.

I was going crazy as to what to do, I consult/search the VJ forum for answers but didn't get much of one. So luckily I tried, but failed, to call the Embassy and didn't get through. She tried and did get through and the lady that she spoke to told her no problem just bring it back in any time that they are open and in 15 minutes she can reseal the envelope for her.

She is going to fly out of Warsaw Poland on the 27th of January and was going to try and be there and get it done the day before but I cautioned her about that idea if something goes wrong, not the time to do when you are getting on a plane the next day for the US.

So hopefully she can get it done....suffice to say there is a lesson here and that is - DO NOT OPEN THAT YELLOW ENVELOPE THAT COMES BACK FROM THE EMBASSY!

Bernie

Oooo she's lucky then. Get there ASAP because it's happened before to other people and it took a few weeks (sometimes months) to "re-seal" the envelope because they had to go through the documents and make sure nothing had been altered, or taken. That "yellow envelope" is her entire file, they don't keep a copy anywhere so that's why it can sometimes take time. The sooner she gets it there, the better her chances of it being "quick" and I reallllly hope for your sake that it can be done like they said.

**fingers crossed** for you!

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline
Oooo she's lucky then. Get there ASAP because it's happened before to other people and it took a few weeks (sometimes months) to "re-seal" the envelope because they had to go through the documents and make sure nothing had been altered, or taken. That "yellow envelope" is her entire file, they don't keep a copy anywhere so that's why it can sometimes take time. The sooner she gets it there, the better her chances of it being "quick" and I reallllly hope for your sake that it can be done like they said.

**fingers crossed** for you!

Vanessa,

She went to the Warsaw Embassy on Tuesday and they resealed it within 10 minutes. Consequently I recieved an email back, (I sent an email asking what she should do now that she mistakingly opened it before she called the embassy) telling me that we could bring it down and then would have to leave as they would have to go through the entire packet first before resealling to make sure all the documentation was the way it was supposed to be.

She was told not to open it again DUH! I don't think that would happen again. So she flys out on Tuesday the 27th for a nice long vacation here in sometimes sunny southern california leaving all that snow and ice in Poland behind.

I've starte the AOS paperwork and have it all filled out and ready to go, the I-485, EAD, except the immunization information that part seems to be fuzzy. She has the DS-3025 so we will just have it transcribed on the I-693 and get any other vaccinations that she needs. Other than that I have to get the money together and should good to go in a couple of weeks. Then we will apply for her social security card.

I'm trying to get her to do a quicky either city hall marriage or Las Vegas marriage so that we have the paperwork to get started on adding her to my benefits and other paperwork and then do a regular bigger ceremony later.........but we will see.

I hope that everything is going well your situation.

Bernie

Timeline
She went to the Warsaw Embassy on Tuesday and they resealed it within 10 minutes. Consequently I recieved an email back, (I sent an email asking what she should do now that she mistakingly opened it before she called the embassy) telling me that we could bring it down and then would have to leave as they would have to go through the entire packet first before resealling to make sure all the documentation was the way it was supposed to be.

I'm trying to get her to do a quicky either city hall marriage or Las Vegas marriage so that we have the paperwork to get started on adding her to my benefits and other paperwork and then do a regular bigger ceremony later.........but we will see.

Grats! It's good to hear.

I know it's not always the most romantic to get married "quickly". It doesn't really MATTER whether you apply later, but at the very least she'll be able to get a drivers licence, a job etc quicker. I've been here since Sept with NO job. Boredom and I are becoming good friends. I admitted to by husband I start to forget where all the hours have gone. I mean I don't do much but then *poof*, the day is over. I just can't help but think i'd be feeling a little bit more "here" if I was a green card holder already and able to move about and do what I want when I want (within reason of course :P).

I think a Las Vegas marriage while totally cliche, would actually be really cute. Definitely a different memory. Much better than city hall imo if she wants a bit more glitz, then you can go out on the town. Maybe investigate the different kinds? I know there's elvis, but are there any other kinds? She can have her Las Vegas wedding, then her "family" wedding. No-one needs to know you're already married if you so desire (in which case a quickie city hall is best, and some people prefer it in cases like yours because it just feels more like "signing a contract" then the "real" wedding is their wedding date) but my issue with that is lying to people leads to confusion about dates and people inevitably feeling excluded (for not knowing about the "secret" wedding). Perhaps she think of the Las Vegas wedding as a destination wedding? And just invite close friends and/or family and have a little holiday together? It'd create a great memory.

Good luck with the wedding decision. I know it's not easy.

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Vanessa you are an absolute Gem.. I will be using this information shortly as well..

I noticed on some other threads on AOS that people talk about providing evidence such as all bills being in joint names etc. When do we actuallly need to show all this information? Do we do this at interview or do we need to submit all that with the AOS package? Im getting confused as to when we need to provide this info

Timeline
Vanessa you are an absolute Gem.. I will be using this information shortly as well..

I noticed on some other threads on AOS that people talk about providing evidence such as all bills being in joint names etc. When do we actuallly need to show all this information? Do we do this at interview or do we need to submit all that with the AOS package? Im getting confused as to when we need to provide this info

Pleasure to help, as always :D

In the AOS guide (the VJ one) it says that evidence of relationship will be requested at interview (if you get an interview, not all cases need one.. not sure why). It's a good idea to get started on the "merging" of lives ASAP. I have just today actually made sure my name is on my husbands phone account (it was already there, but now it'll come on the bills too). Aside from that we have a joint bank account, and until I get a drivers licence that's it!.. well except I get all mail to the same address. It's not as easy as they think to "merge" so quick. Putting my name on the lease would have started a new contract :S

Hope that helps :D

Timeline

Just wanting everyone's opinion - On my immunisation supplement, my doctor made note that I had not completed the HPV series (which was the only age-appropriate vaccine that was not completely done), but, at the bottom of the form, he ticked that all my shots were complete. Since the HPV shot is no longer needed, do you all think I would be pretty safe to not get the civil surgeon to do my supplement? I am 100 percent sure my shots are complete.

Timeline
Just wanting everyone's opinion - On my immunisation supplement, my doctor made note that I had not completed the HPV series (which was the only age-appropriate vaccine that was not completely done), but, at the bottom of the form, he ticked that all my shots were complete. Since the HPV shot is no longer needed, do you all think I would be pretty safe to not get the civil surgeon to do my supplement? I am 100 percent sure my shots are complete.

Well from what I've been reading, some CO's just send RFE's if the 693 isn't there, and it's been happening pretty regularly since around November. At worst you will be sent an RFE which will slow down your GC BUT it shouldn't slow down AP or EAD so it's completely up to you.

I had mine in July and I know the requirements changed in December so I'm about 80% sure. My person ticked "isn't complete, a waiver may be appropriate" so now my % sure has dropped a bit... (though all ones are either dated as done, or ticked "not age appropriate") so to be "safe" I'm going to just have it checked. I heard that an RFE typically slows down your case by 30-60 days and to be honest I've waited long enough!! :P

So I suppose to answer, based strictly on the instructions, and the fact you're 100% sure you're complete then you should be fine. Based on a lot of reports of people with the same % certainty being given RFE's, i would personally check how much a CS would charge you and tell yourself if it's under X amount (our limit is $50 if no shots are needed) then you'll just get it transcribed to save the hassle. If I was going to be charged some of the amounts I've read on here then I would risk it rather than waste the money when i'm "pretty sure" it's not needed.

Let us know what you decide and what reaction you get from the CS. It's SUCH a pain that it's so ambiguous... I'm considering scanning my sheet to compare with others...

Timeline
Well from what I've been reading, some CO's just send RFE's if the 693 isn't there, and it's been happening pretty regularly since around November. At worst you will be sent an RFE which will slow down your GC BUT it shouldn't slow down AP or EAD so it's completely up to you.

I had mine in July and I know the requirements changed in December so I'm about 80% sure. My person ticked "isn't complete, a waiver may be appropriate" so now my % sure has dropped a bit... (though all ones are either dated as done, or ticked "not age appropriate") so to be "safe" I'm going to just have it checked. I heard that an RFE typically slows down your case by 30-60 days and to be honest I've waited long enough!! :P

So I suppose to answer, based strictly on the instructions, and the fact you're 100% sure you're complete then you should be fine. Based on a lot of reports of people with the same % certainty being given RFE's, i would personally check how much a CS would charge you and tell yourself if it's under X amount (our limit is $50 if no shots are needed) then you'll just get it transcribed to save the hassle. If I was going to be charged some of the amounts I've read on here then I would risk it rather than waste the money when i'm "pretty sure" it's not needed.

Let us know what you decide and what reaction you get from the CS. It's SUCH a pain that it's so ambiguous... I'm considering scanning my sheet to compare with others...

Hmmm, yeah, I think that would be a good idea, scanning them! I will start calling CS's pretty soon, after I get wedding stuff out the way....Three Weeks today until the big day!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.