VanessaTony

AOS, EAD & AP from K1 - the Aussie way (doc list included)

543 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
WOW impressive info! i've already sent my AOS, it was delivered on the 5th of jan, I sent the form G-1145, but haven't recieved an email yet, has anyone sent their's in with this form? & if so how long did u wait to get an email?

I did a quick check of some threads i'd been reading, and one person waiting 8 days, another waiting 7 days... So I would think a week or so. I'm guessing you're looking at around 13 Jan. Good luck and congrats on starting the process!

In case you didn't see it, here's the Jan 2010 AOS filers page so you can compare you to other: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=235083

I did a quick check of some threads i'd been reading, and one person waiting 8 days, another waiting 7 days... So I would think a week or so. I'm guessing you're looking at around 13 Jan. Good luck and congrats on starting the process!

In case you didn't see it, here's the Jan 2010 AOS filers page so you can compare you to other: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=235083

Aww thank you I hadnt' seen that page i'lll go on & say hello. & I recieved my email & 5 txt msgs saying they recieved the package, on the 8th so I guess i'm lucky with only 3days waiting. Thanks for the info :D

Shewack

K 1 - Timeline:

11/11/2007 - Met in London

Immigration Started

2009/04/30 - I-129F Delivered to CSC

2009/05/12 - NOA1

2009/05/13 - Cheque cashed

2009/10/16 - arrived in the states, So Good to be with my man!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2009/11/11 - Married at 3pm, 11pm Uk time when we met arhhhhhh lol

AOS, EAD, Travel doc

2009/12/29 - Sent package via FED EX to Dearborn address

2010/01/05 - AOS delivered

2010/01/08 - Recieved emails & txt from form G-1145

2010/01/11 - NOA1 for AOS, EAD & AP

2010/01/28 - RFE, I-693

2010/02/01 - New I-693 delivered

2010/02/01 - Recieve Letter about Biometric app.

2010/02/22 - Biometrics Appointment

2010/03/01 - Approved EAD recieved on 2010/03/08

2010/03/01 - Approved AP recieved on 2010/03/15

2010/04/16 - Interview Date

2010/04/16 - AOS Approved, recieved card 2010/04/30

** Topic is "Adjustment of Status" related; not a lot of "Regional-related" material; as a result, am moving thread to "Adjustment of Status (Green Card) from Family Based Visa."

If the OP objects; the thread can be moved back but I think it may be important that the (extensive) material presented gets a chance to have a potentially larger audience.

Timeline
** Topic is "Adjustment of Status" related; not a lot of "Regional-related" material; as a result, am moving thread to "Adjustment of Status (Green Card) from Family Based Visa."

If the OP objects; the thread can be moved back but I think it may be important that the (extensive) material presented gets a chance to have a potentially larger audience.

It's okay, s'pose it gives me a chance to teach "Aussie" to the masses :P

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Thank you so much for all the valuable info.About the vaccination, A letter is not required from uscis like we had to show a letter to setup an appointment for k-1? Also since my wife is the sponsor and she has my last name now on the marriage certificate shud we use the new name on I-864? since all on all of her w-2s so far is the previous last name.

Edited by Omark

Thank you so much for all the valuable info.About the vaccination, A letter is not required from uscis like we had to show a letter to setup an appointment for k-1? Also since my wife is the sponsor and she has my last name now on the marriage certificate shud we use the new name on I-864? since all on all of her w-2s so far is the previous last name.

I would say yes if that is now her legal name, add an extra copy of the marriage certificate i think to show the change in name.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline

Hi Vanessa and everyone,

As we are just assembling the paperwork for the AOS (still have to get the payment togeter first) and haven't even gotten married yet.

But we're trying to stay ahead of the game so I have a question about immuizations.

My fiancee just recently had her interview at the Warsaw Embassy in Poland on January 7th, 2007 she had that sealed packet regarding her medical and handed it in at the interview. So should she have handed it it? Is this the packet that everyone talks about handing in at the POE.

I'm confused as to what should have occurred. She was approved and handed in her passport but hasn't recieved the visa yet from the Embassy.

Will the packet come with her passport.

I'm trying to understand the DS-3025 and I-693 debate on what your supposed to include in the AOS packet.

I've read Vanessa's instructions but I need to understand what I will need to do for the vaccinations.

Bernie

Timeline

Okay firstly WELCOME and good on you for being so pro-active.

What usually happens with the medical is you either mail it in (that's what we did) or in your case, hand it over.

After approval they will mail you back (some people have to go and get it, I think it depends on country) your passport with the MBE (mysterious brown envelope) which contains your entire file, including the medical which you hand in at POE.

When she did the medical she should have been given a copy of her vaccination record. I didn't know that at the time and had to call my doctor and have them mail me a copy, but it says it on the bottom of the vaccination form so they shouldn't give her any trouble about it if she needs to get them to send her a copy.

As for what you need to do with vaccinations, it will depend on what your fiancee has had, and still needs. For instance, if she needs further shots of anything, she will DEFINITELY need to have the I-693 form filled in. If she doesn't need more shots then she MIGHT not need it filled in. Most people think they're complete but between K1 and AOS the rules might change and so they need more shots but don't find out until they send in what they THINK is a completed vaccination form but isn't so they need to get an I-693 filled in. There is no real way to know for sure until you mail it in. The reason for mailing it in when they already have a copy is like a little "reminder" so that they check and know you're already up to date. Do you know whether she needs more shots? She would have been told at her medical, but if you're unsure you can contact a CS who can check your vaccination sheet and tell you. You do NOT need to have your shots done by the CS (sometimes they're VERY expensive), you can elect to find someone cheaper and then take the records of those shots, as well as the K1 medical vaccination record to the CS who will copy them all to the I-693 form.

I called the civil surgeon in my area to ask about cost and its $50 for them to transfer everything to the new form. At that time I will be able to find out whether my immunisation are complete. I'm pretty sure they are, so as I just found this out, I will speak with Tony and see if he thinks he should spend the $50 or wait and see if we get an RFE.

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

What usually happens with the medical is you either mail it in (that's what we did) or in your case, hand it over.

After approval they will mail you back (some people have to go and get it, I think it depends on country) your passport with the MBE (mysterious brown envelope) which contains your entire file, including the medical which you hand in at POE.

When she did the medical she should have been given a copy of her vaccination record. I didn't know that at the time and had to call my doctor and have them mail me a copy, but it says it on the bottom of the vaccination form so they shouldn't give her any trouble about it if she needs to get them to send her a copy.

As for what you need to do with vaccinations, it will depend on what your fiancee has had, and still needs. For instance, if she needs further shots of anything, she will DEFINITELY need to have the I-693 form filled in. If she doesn't need more shots then she MIGHT not need it filled in. Most people think they're complete but between K1 and AOS the rules might change and so they need more shots but don't find out until they send in what they THINK is a completed vaccination form but isn't so they need to get an I-693 filled in. There is no real way to know for sure until you mail it in. The reason for mailing it in when they already have a copy is like a little "reminder" so that they check and know you're already up to date. Do you know whether she needs more shots? She would have been told at her medical, but if you're unsure you can contact a CS who can check your vaccination sheet and tell you. You do NOT need to have your shots done by the CS (sometimes they're VERY expensive), you can elect to find someone cheaper and then take the records of those shots, as well as the K1 medical vaccination record to the CS who will copy them all to the I-693 form.

I called the civil surgeon in my area to ask about cost and its $50 for them to transfer everything to the new form. At that time I will be able to find out whether my immunisation are complete. I'm pretty sure they are, so as I just found this out, I will speak with Tony and see if he thinks he should spend the $50 or wait and see if we get an RFE.

Ugh, we so didnt make a copy of the immunizations I dont think. Ill have to ask Damo. Fingers crossed he did, but if not he can just pop in there and get a copy from the doc yeah? Luckily the doc he saw for the medical is right around the corner from his office. Thanks again Vanessa !

ROC

Date Sent : 06/07/2012

Date Received :06/09/2012

Check Cashed : 06/13/2012

NOA Date : 06/11/2012

RFE(s) :

Bio. Appt. :

Interview Date :

Approved :

Greencard Received:

pwned_girl.gif

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Pakistan
Timeline
I would say yes if that is now her legal name, add an extra copy of the marriage certificate i think to show the change in name.

So on all the forms use new name? Changing name on marriage certificate is same as changing the name legally? I am confused now :unsure:

Timeline
So on all the forms use new name? Changing name on marriage certificate is same as changing the name legally? I am confused now :unsure:

Changing name on the marriage licence is the same as doing legal name change yes. All the other documents (like passport, drivers licence, bank accoutns etc) will need to be changed to reflect the name change. You will need to submit the marriage licence as proof of change of name.

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Changing name on the marriage licence is the same as doing legal name change yes. All the other documents (like passport, drivers licence, bank accoutns etc) will need to be changed to reflect the name change. You will need to submit the marriage licence as proof of change of name.

Dont forget to change your name on your SS#

Edited by Warren and Cindy

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline

Vanessa,

Thank you for the response, she is still in Poland and so I don't think that she has recieved her packet yet. That said she did recieve a DS-3025 from on of the doctors, I think from the one who completed the medical exam for the K-1 visa. I haven't seen it yet so I don't know exactly what she is missing. I sent her an email attachment of the I-693 with all filled out with her information fillid out on it. She was going to take it to her doctor and take a copy of her immuization record with her so that maybe he can fill it out. Unfortunately she does not have ready access to a printer or scanner so I don't have any information about her immunizations. I'd like to get this done before she arrives so that we don't have it hanging over our heads and we can readily apply for her AOS when she gets here.

The process seems fairly straight forward except this point and from all that I have read so far depending on who is reviewing the packet may or may not require certain stuff for immunization. I like you just want a complete packet so there isn't any doubt that they will approve it perhaps without an interview. I guess we will see.

She had reservations to fly back to LAX on the 28th of January but today we had to cancel them because she put her mother had to be hospitalized this morning. It doesn't appear to be life threatening but she doesn't know yet. I made the reservations here in the USA to fly from Poland to LAX via Swiss Air and I paid for them using a debit card but my bank denied the purchase and then I called them to use a credit card instead but even to now they still hadn't charged my card so I was able to cancel the reservations. I had gotten a really good price on the flight and hopefully if she is okay we still may get her to leave on the 28th.

I hope that you are doing well, thank you for all of your great information and help.

Bernie

Timeline
Vanessa,

Thank you for the response, she is still in Poland and so I don't think that she has recieved her packet yet. That said she did recieve a DS-3025 from on of the doctors, I think from the one who completed the medical exam for the K-1 visa. I haven't seen it yet so I don't know exactly what she is missing. I sent her an email attachment of the I-693 with all filled out with her information fillid out on it. She was going to take it to her doctor and take a copy of her immuization record with her so that maybe he can fill it out. Unfortunately she does not have ready access to a printer or scanner so I don't have any information about her immunizations. I'd like to get this done before she arrives so that we don't have it hanging over our heads and we can readily apply for her AOS when she gets here.

The process seems fairly straight forward except this point and from all that I have read so far depending on who is reviewing the packet may or may not require certain stuff for immunization. I like you just want a complete packet so there isn't any doubt that they will approve it perhaps without an interview. I guess we will see.

She had reservations to fly back to LAX on the 28th of January but today we had to cancel them because she put her mother had to be hospitalized this morning. It doesn't appear to be life threatening but she doesn't know yet. I made the reservations here in the USA to fly from Poland to LAX via Swiss Air and I paid for them using a debit card but my bank denied the purchase and then I called them to use a credit card instead but even to now they still hadn't charged my card so I was able to cancel the reservations. I had gotten a really good price on the flight and hopefully if she is okay we still may get her to leave on the 28th.

I hope that you are doing well, thank you for all of your great information and help.

Bernie

i'm sorry your fiancee's mother isn't doing well. I hope she is okay.

The I-693 cannot be completed until she is in the US and needs to be completed by a civil surgeon (the link to find them is in the OP). It shouldn't take too long, so perhaps you can start looking around now for one with a good price. A full medical is NOT needed. Please make sure you re-read the guide on that so she doesn't get tricked into paying for one, sometimes they CS doesn't know what they're doing, or they're deliberately trying to get money out of you and try and convince you that you need the medical.

The process is pretty straight-forward, like you said, so when she gets here, be happy, get married then take her to the CS that you've already found (or will find :P) along with the immunisation record, have them fill it in (no medical) and then it's all good :) If you want to make sure all the paperwork is completed before she gets to you, she can then read through it to make sure you haven't missed anything (good to have another set of eyes) and then sign everything. If she's taking your name she should practice her "married" signature as all the paperwork should be in her married name.

Once again best wishes to your fiancee and her mother. I hope it's nothing serious.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.