hillf

canadian citizen, husband of a US citizen banned for 5 years

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi, my husband is canadian citizen, I am US citizen.

He was banned for 5 years for overstay last visit,

now I am applying I 130 for him,

when it's approved can he come in?

If so do I need to file a waiver?

What form should I use, he got deported at the boarder

VT highgate, where should I send the waiver form?

Thanks.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

There are two different things acting here. For the Expedited Removal (the deportation at the border) he needs an I-212. For overstay, he would need an I-601. Did he have a documented overstay (ie: on a visa) or did he enter as a Canadian Citizen on his passport only and then admit to an overstay at the border?

Please talk to an attorney, this is a long and arduous process. . .especially going through Montreal.

You will file the I-130, it will process in the US then be sent to the National Visa Center for more paperwork requests. . .then you will get an interview in Montreal. In Montreal you will be denied and asked for the waivers. Which waivers will depend on your answers to the previous questions.

http://www.shusterman.com/up-canada.html

Timeline
There are two different things acting here. For the Expedited Removal (the deportation at the border) he needs an I-212. For overstay, he would need an I-601. Did he have a documented overstay (ie: on a visa) or did he enter as a Canadian Citizen on his passport only and then admit to an overstay at the border?

Please talk to an attorney, this is a long and arduous process. . .especially going through Montreal.

You will file the I-130, it will process in the US then be sent to the National Visa Center for more paperwork requests. . .then you will get an interview in Montreal. In Montreal you will be denied and asked for the waivers. Which waivers will depend on your answers to the previous questions.

http://www.shusterman.com/up-canada.html

Thanks. When should we start I 212 or I 601? How long does it take to get approved and should I start them now?

Timeline
You hould start working now. You can turn them in at the interview. Unfortunately, Montreal is the slowest waiver consulate in the world. It is currently taking around 13 months.

Thank you for the advice. He only needs 212. The form looks simple.

I'd like to file it myself but don't know where to send.

In this case he was expeditedly removed from Highgate Springs, Vermont, according

to the instruction it has to be filed with the director of USCIS of the district

of the district where the removal proceeding is held.

Is expeditedly removed part of removal proceedings?

Thanks.

Timeline

Okay, just to make sure, you MUST consult an attorney before you decide that he only needs the I-212, there are other complications with an expedited removal that can require an I-212 and I know from experience that Montreal does not believe that 212 alone exists. (Check out my timeline on I2US if you want further proof. . . .)

IF you decide to go ahead and file, you file with the district office over the area of deportation, yes the ER counts as this. Also, you cannot just send the form on it's own. You will want to includer a package with evidence. I am including lonks here for you to study the process. It is a discretionary waiver.

https://egov.uscis.gov/crisgwi/go?action=of...or.statecode=VT

http://immigrate2us.net/forum/showthread.php?t=339

Timeline
Okay, just to make sure, you MUST consult an attorney before you decide that he only needs the I-212, there are other complications with an expedited removal that can require an I-212 and I know from experience that Montreal does not believe that 212 alone exists. (Check out my timeline on I2US if you want further proof. . . .)

IF you decide to go ahead and file, you file with the district office over the area of deportation, yes the ER counts as this. Also, you cannot just send the form on it's own. You will want to includer a package with evidence. I am including lonks here for you to study the process. It is a discretionary waiver.

Thank you so much!

I stopped by VT application support center (64 GriceBrooke rd, st albans) a guy said the USCIS over Highgate Springs,

VT is Bostn USCIS, today I went to Boston USCIS they said to file with Montreal Consulate.

At one time one customer service over the phone at 800 # told me to send to 75 Lower Walden, St Albans, VT, I asked the guy at 64 GriceBrook, he said no.

Where should I file it for sure?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Thank you so much!

I stopped by VT application support center (64 GriceBrooke rd, st albans) a guy said the USCIS over Highgate Springs,

VT is Bostn USCIS, today I went to Boston USCIS they said to file with Montreal Consulate.

At one time one customer service over the phone at 800 # told me to send to 75 Lower Walden, St Albans, VT, I asked the guy at 64 GriceBrook, he said no.

Where should I file it for sure?

Just a heads up. I had to file the I-212 for my wife and the initial letter that received from USCIS is that it would take 1-year to process. Now, I was able to expedite mine and in one month I had it approved and my wife was back home. But like I stated before I fought and was able to have them expedited and approved.

While I didn't use an attorney, I would recomend you consult one prior to doing anything. At the very least reaserch this process well (online) so that you're not caught off guard. At one point USCIS told me that I had to file the I-601 and the I-212 with the embassy in Colombia. If it wasn't because I was well informed and took the time to speak to the right people at USCIS, I'd probably still be waiting for my wife.

Good Luck to you

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Hi emt,

I consulted with an attorney, Boston CIS has jurisdiction over Highgate VT.

I've filed the paper there.

I am looking at DS 230, question 40 h, did you answer yes or no? Is expedited removal the same as ordered removed?

Also for police certificate, will they ask for anything before you came to Canada? My husband was naturalized in Canada.

Thanks.

Timeline

Deported is same as removed (more so for the purposes of that question. Yes, he will need a police certificate from any country he lived in for more than six months.

My husband was naturalized as well. . . .can I ask what country your husband is from?

Timeline
Deported is same as removed (more so for the purposes of that question. Yes, he will need a police certificate from any country he lived in for more than six months.

My husband was naturalized as well. . . .can I ask what country your husband is from?

Thanks, so ordered removed is the same as expeditedly removed? So 40h at DS 230 he should answer yes?

He's from China. So he needs a police certificate from there too? It's been so long ago.

Timeline

Yes, he will need one, if he lived there after the age of 16 for more than 6 months.

If he has ever committed a crime in any country he must supply a fingerprint version - regardless of how long he lived there.

Details can be found here:

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/in...195.html#police

Details of which documents they want - particular to each country can be found here, just choose the country from the drop down list:

http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/reciproc...ocity_3272.html

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.