DeadPoolX

Credit Cards

38 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Okay, I'd like to start this off by saying following: I AM NOT CRITICIZING CANADA!! :wow:

I have two American credit cards (Capital One and Bank of America) and two Canadian credit cards (TD and HBC) and they're all really good. I get perks (points, miles, etc) with all of them, but... one thing still escapes me.

Why don't Canadian credit cards include specialty perks or designs? Here's an example from BoA that shows what I'm talking about. I'd like to donate to the WWF (that's World Wildlife Fund, not World Wrestling Federation) whenever I'm purchasing something. BoA has other options too and so do most American card lenders.

I realize that's not necessary and as I said before, my cards are great as they are. However, there are all sorts of organizations Canadians would like to support. If they could do it by buying stuff using a credit card, why wouldn't banks be all over this? It'd not only make them money, but gain them good publicity too!

So... anyone know why these sorts of options aren't offered? :unsure:

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, I'd like to start this off by saying following: I AM NOT CRITICIZING CANADA!! :wow:

I have two American credit cards (Capital One and Bank of America) and two Canadian credit cards (TD and HBC) and they're all really good. I get perks (points, miles, etc) with all of them, but... one thing still escapes me.

Why don't Canadian credit cards include specialty perks or designs? Here's an example from BoA that shows what I'm talking about. I'd like to donate to the WWF (that's World Wildlife Fund, not World Wrestling Federation) whenever I'm purchasing something. BoA has other options too and so do most American card lenders.

I realize that's not necessary and as I said before, my cards are great as they are. However, there are all sorts of organizations Canadians would like to support. If they could do it by buying stuff using a credit card, why wouldn't banks be all over this? It'd not only make them money, but gain them good publicity too!

So... anyone know why these sorts of options aren't offered? :unsure:

You know, I've seen that here in the U.S. lots of times, and you're right, I've never seen that offered as part of a Canadian Credit Card. I don't know why, but it was one of those moments when something is pointed out to you that you've never thought of before! I'd be interested in knowing as well why it seems like it's not done in Canada. Or perhaps it is? Let's wait for more replies! :thumbs:

carlahmsb4.gif

huh... that's a cool idea. I have not seen that before either. We do sometimes have a choice of funky designs (my Capital One card in Canada has a Canadian flag on it, for example... which I did to remind myself later on that this is my Canadian credit card :lol: ).

p.s. the WWF is now just the World Wildlife Fund.... the 'other' WWF is now called the WWE (World Wrestling Entertainment, or something like that). lol

For details visit My Timeline or Profile

ROC Timeline:
May 23, 2012 - Mailed I-751
January 7, 2013 - RFE Received
March 26, 2013 - RFE Response Sent
April 11, 2013 - ROC APPROVED

June 8th, 2013 - 10 yr GC Received (FINALLY)

AOS Timeline:
March 23, 2010 - Mailed I-485 (AOS), I-131 (AP), I-765 (EAD)
June 7, 2010 - AP received
June 12, 2010 - EAD received
August 27, 2010 - 2 yr Green Card Received!

K-1 Timeline:
April 22, 2009 - I-129F Sent
November 20, 2009 - Interview in Montreal - Approved!
January 3, 2010 - POE (Ambassador Bridge)
January 20, 2010 - Wedding

Timeline
huh... that's a cool idea. I have not seen that before either. We do sometimes have a choice of funky designs (my Capital One card in Canada has a Canadian flag on it, for example... which I did to remind myself later on that this is my Canadian credit card :lol: ).

p.s. the WWF is now just the World Wildlife Fund.... the 'other' WWF is now called the WWE (World Wrestling Entertainment, or something like that). lol

The last time I watched wrestling (a very rare occurrence) was when Hulk Hogan was active. :P

As for Capital One... well, in the U.S. they have the option to import an image onto the card and have that issued. My CapOne card has a picture of my wife and me at our wedding. We get comments on it all the time. Usually from women, actually.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Not quite sure, really. Never thought about it before. I don't know, I feel like it's the same reason that banks in Canada don't offer incentives or special things. IThe Feds have great oversight, so the fees are high and nothing is competitive. In the US, of course it's the opposite, so theyw ill do what they can to get you in the door.

As for credit cards, my parents and I have always had one issued by our bank and not by a company like Capital One..so I'm not sure if the same applies?

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Oohhhh you could always get a WWE credit card and earn points to buy stuff from the World Wrestling Federation. There's a card for everything these days...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

The last time I watched wrestling (a very rare occurrence) was when Hulk Hogan was active. :P

As for Capital One... well, in the U.S. they have the option to import an image onto the card and have that issued. My CapOne card has a picture of my wife and me at our wedding. We get comments on it all the time. Usually from women, actually.

I think that's the last time I watched wrestling too!! :lol: There were a few I got a kick out of. ( not that I was in the ring mind you... :unsure: )

I love the idea of a picture of your wedding on a credit card. I may have to see if I can get a Capitol One! (doubt it)

Don't know why about the perks you mentioned not being on Canadian cards, though. That would be a great idea. The only card Tim uses is a Bass Pro Shop point card, and I think it only gives points towards purchases.

K-1 timeline

Sent I-129f Dec. 29, 2008

Received NOA Jan. 10, 2009

NOA2 email sent April 16, 2009, APPROVED

Interview in Vancouver, June 23, 2009 APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!

Wedding, September 19, 2009, South Carolina!!

AOS

Mailed package to Chicago, Oct. 22, 2009

NOA hard copies Nov. 3, 2009

RFE Nov. 17, 2009

Finally mailed back RFE December 15, 2009

Case transferred to CSC January 7th 2010girlfreuya.gif

EAD and AP Approved, cards sent January 8th, 2010!!

AOS approved February 9th 2010 smiley-happy093.gif

Welcome letter and GC received February 16th, 2010

Done with USCIS until 11/08/11

ROC

Sent 1-751 to Vermont Service Center November 18th 2011

NOA November 23, 2011

Biometrics December 23, 2011

RFE Dated Aug. 17; received Aug. 20th

mailed off RFE end of Oct.

Received Email stating card has been ordered Dec. 4

Received Email stating card should arrive within seven days; Dec 6

GLITTER.jpg

Timeline
Not quite sure, really. Never thought about it before. I don't know, I feel like it's the same reason that banks in Canada don't offer incentives or special things. IThe Feds have great oversight, so the fees are high and nothing is competitive. In the US, of course it's the opposite, so theyw ill do what they can to get you in the door.

As for credit cards, my parents and I have always had one issued by our bank and not by a company like Capital One..so I'm not sure if the same applies?

Yeah, that annoys me a bit. I hate the fact "free checking accounts" don't exist. I can understand paying a fee or keeping a minimum balance for an account that gains interest, but for a non-interest checking account? Seems like a scam to me.

I went with TD, since they won't charge a monthly fee so long as you keep a balance above a certain number (depends on your account type). I don't care for that, but it's better than RBC which charges regardless of which account you have.

As for Capital One, I think they're actually a real bank. They don't have the same coverage Bank of America or Chase does, but I've seen their banks before.

Can you get a credit card from a bank you don't have an account with? My credit card is from TD (the same bank I have an account with) and my wife's is from RBC (the bank she has an account with). I'm interested in knowing. :P

Oohhhh you could always get a WWE credit card and earn points to buy stuff from the World Wrestling Federation. There's a card for everything these days...

Unfortunately, you're absolutely right about that... :blink:

I totally want that Hello Kitty credit card :rofl:

~*Relationship Info In Profile And Fiance(e) Visa/Adjustment of Status/Removal Of Conditions Info In My Timeline*~

Looking for your favourite Canadian foods that you can't find in the US?

Try this site! http://www.canadianfavourites.com/

Hmm. I have an RBC Visa Rewards card. Every dollar I spend counts as a point, and when you get enough points, you can get things for free...or donate money to a certain charity.

I use my credit card a LOT, but never carry a balance (i.e.: I use it, then transfer money on to it when I get home). As a result, I've received several gift cards with my rewards over the past few years.

Married: 07-03-09

I-130 filed: 08-11-09

NOA1: 09-04-09

NOA2: 10-01-09

NVC received: 10-14-09

Opted In to Electronic Processing: 10-19-09

Case complete @ NVC: 11-13-09

Interview assigned: 01-22-10 (70 days between case complete and interview assignment)

Medical in Vancouver: 01-28-10

Interview @ Montreal: 03-05-10 -- APPROVED!

POE @ Blaine (Pacific Highway): 03-10-10

3000 mile drive from Vancouver to DC: 03-10-10 to 3-12-10

Green card received: 04-02-10

SSN received: 04-07-10

------------------------------------------

Mailed I-751: 12-27-11

Arrived at USCIS: 12-29-11

I-751 NOA1: 12-30-11 Check cashed: 01-04-12

Biometrics: 02-24-12

10-year GC finally approved: 12-20-12

Received 10-year GC: 01-10-13

------------------------------------------

Better to be very overprepared than even slightly underprepared!

Hmm. I have an RBC Visa Rewards card. Every dollar I spend counts as a point, and when you get enough points, you can get things for free...or donate money to a certain charity

Yes, I have that one too. You can buy merchandise, get gift cards, use them for travel, or you can donate them to certain charities.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I have the Enviro Visa through Vancity, and yes you can donate your points or get products, but to give you an idea: We got an immersion blender through our points (1 per $2) and it cost 8000 points.

Montreal: BEAT!!! Approved!!!!!

event.png

Timeline

wow.... haha thats a lot for a blender!

My eyes filled with grit

Timeline
It's the best $16,000 immersion blender I've ever had! :lol:

:rofl:

My eyes filled with grit

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.