MapleLeafBaby

H1N1 Vaccination

59 posts in this topic

I figure "to each their own." Personally, I won't be getting the vaccine as I'm pretty sure I had H1N1 back in April, after the first outbreak. I had visited my wife in Alexandria and my flight back went through JFK airport. A few days later I had the flu...and it was definitely the flu! At the time there were a bunch of advisories out about people who had been through New York having a greater likelihood of getting it etc....so I think there's a good chance that I caught that strain of it.

But even if I didn't catch H1N1 and it was a different strain of flu, I wouldn't be getting the vaccine. Influenza is a killer, to be sure, but most people have strong enough immune systems to fight it off.

I will admit that I am a bit alarmed by the susceptibility of younger women to this flu, though. My wife falls smack dab in the middle of that age range.

Still, I think the news has blown the situation out of proportion. Having said that, it would be nice if on every commercial break there was a big icon on TV screens for five seconds saying "WASH YOUR HANDS!"

Married: 07-03-09

I-130 filed: 08-11-09

NOA1: 09-04-09

NOA2: 10-01-09

NVC received: 10-14-09

Opted In to Electronic Processing: 10-19-09

Case complete @ NVC: 11-13-09

Interview assigned: 01-22-10 (70 days between case complete and interview assignment)

Medical in Vancouver: 01-28-10

Interview @ Montreal: 03-05-10 -- APPROVED!

POE @ Blaine (Pacific Highway): 03-10-10

3000 mile drive from Vancouver to DC: 03-10-10 to 3-12-10

Green card received: 04-02-10

SSN received: 04-07-10

------------------------------------------

Mailed I-751: 12-27-11

Arrived at USCIS: 12-29-11

I-751 NOA1: 12-30-11 Check cashed: 01-04-12

Biometrics: 02-24-12

10-year GC finally approved: 12-20-12

Received 10-year GC: 01-10-13

------------------------------------------

Better to be very overprepared than even slightly underprepared!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
I figure "to each their own." Personally, I won't be getting the vaccine as I'm pretty sure I had H1N1 back in April, after the first outbreak. I had visited my wife in Alexandria and my flight back went through JFK airport. A few days later I had the flu...and it was definitely the flu! At the time there were a bunch of advisories out about people who had been through New York having a greater likelihood of getting it etc....so I think there's a good chance that I caught that strain of it.

But even if I didn't catch H1N1 and it was a different strain of flu, I wouldn't be getting the vaccine. Influenza is a killer, to be sure, but most people have strong enough immune systems to fight it off.

I will admit that I am a bit alarmed by the susceptibility of younger women to this flu, though. My wife falls smack dab in the middle of that age range.

Still, I think the news has blown the situation out of proportion. Having said that, it would be nice if on every commercial break there was a big icon on TV screens for five seconds saying "WASH YOUR HANDS!"

Tha reminds me, my husband and I had a really bad version of a stomach flu, like KILLER back in April and I nenever thought of it, but maybe it was a strain of the H1N1. It was BRUTAL. He had it when it came to visit me and then I caught it a couple of days later. Honestly, I'd get the vaccine simply to avoid getting whatever I had in April... It was horrible.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Just a few things that no one has mentioned.

In terms of it being a NEW vaccine. Every year the flu shot is technically new. The virus strain is always changing, so they need to re-work the vaccine to fit the new strain every year. So H1N1 is no different, it is a different strain of flu, so the vaccine is meant to work to block a particular strain of the flu.

Actually yeah, that's a good point. I forgot about that.

For details visit My Timeline or Profile

ROC Timeline:
May 23, 2012 - Mailed I-751
January 7, 2013 - RFE Received
March 26, 2013 - RFE Response Sent
April 11, 2013 - ROC APPROVED

June 8th, 2013 - 10 yr GC Received (FINALLY)

AOS Timeline:
March 23, 2010 - Mailed I-485 (AOS), I-131 (AP), I-765 (EAD)
June 7, 2010 - AP received
June 12, 2010 - EAD received
August 27, 2010 - 2 yr Green Card Received!

K-1 Timeline:
April 22, 2009 - I-129F Sent
November 20, 2009 - Interview in Montreal - Approved!
January 3, 2010 - POE (Ambassador Bridge)
January 20, 2010 - Wedding

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I am not one to get my son the regular flu shot, but he's getting the H1N1 vaccine - I have already sent the consent forms into his school. There has already been 4 confirmed cases at his school and I am just not risking it.

Donne moi une poptart!

Thank you for posting this, Poprocks. I am really struggling with the decision on whether to get my little one the H1N1 vaccine. Husband does not want to get it, I am more mixed. I have been trying to do research online and trying to avoid fear mongering sites on both sides of the issues. Anyone have links to good reliable info.?

2e020152f8374f4fbd9014e3cc2c05fe.jpg

catcatadb20080508_-7_My%20child%20is.png

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Gratz on the fear mongering Inky. Are you one of those who doesn't like testing on animals too, and would prefer to see a family member die of a dreaded disease because they stopped funding for testing? Sorry, but I am not cool with sites or the media creating hysteria, where calm, rational understanding could help

C'mon folks - the site you're reading is designed to scare the bejesus out of you - it's the extreme opposite of the CDC site which is extremely, blindly PRO H1N1 vaccine. It names things that you've heard of are bad, but doesn't tell you the purpose of the ingredient. All those childhood vaccines you received (and yes, you're alive today to type right here...) had Thimerasol (mercury) in them and yes, it's an ingredient they're working on removing. Don't just read the fear mongering without doing a little more research on something. Unless you're a chemist and you understand why they're extracting a particular protein (or whatever)for something...don't get too worked up.

I live in the Washington area (Mr Obama is my neightbour ...kind of :) ), I suspect his daughters haven't been vaccinated more because they aren't offering it to older school age children in the DC area just yet (those with underlying health issues, kidlets and pregos first)...but they're getting there

A little stat about regular flu:

Regular flu in the United States kills about 30,000 people in an average year. 90% of those are people 65 and older who are already not in the best of health. There have been 820-987 deaths each week from the regular flu in the 122 cities that are in the center for disease control tracking system.

You know - I probably won't get the vaccination because there's a bit of ashortage and I am not about to stand in line on Sat morning for 5 hours....but I did get my regular flu shot a few weeks ago and as usual.

Thank you Udella.

I am getting the vaccination (Nov. 4) and Mel has the option available to her through our health insurance provider. We have both been quite ill for the last 4 weeks and recently had to go to the doctor to verify that it was nothing more than a cold.

Timeline

http://www2.macleans.ca/2009/10/19/swine-flu-fiasco/

This is a great article to read.... from McLeans. It has lots of good info

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi Everyone,

Hmm..Interesting debate here about the H1N1 Vaccine...

While I do believe in vaccinations and in ways of preventing illnesses to be spread (washing hands, not being in contact with those who are sick, covering up while sneezing/coughing, cleaning and disinfecting, etc.)....

However, I don't believe that there is a need right away to get this particular H1N1 vaccine, be it that it is relatively new and the side effects of such have yet to be further studied. Who knows, what side effects could happen which would outweigh the intended benefit of the vaccine (such as it has done before many years ago when the first flu vaccines came out). As well, there is a shortage of this vaccine, so does everyone need one right away? So my take on it is if one is in a vulnerable/high risk population of society that needs such right away, then they should be the ones to get it first, and let the others wait until there is more supply and is proven to be more safe for the general population overall to use.

Though if I were pregnant now (which is one of the high risk groups for the H1N1), I admit, I probably wouldn't be getting such a shot, as I would fear that the side effects of such an experimental drug would harm the baby instead, which is more of a risk there, than the actual risk of getting the flu itself. Heck, I was even afraid to take cold/flu medication, not eat certain foods, and not do certain things when I was pregnant, in fear that it would harm the baby. And if I did get that shot while I was pregnant and something did happen to the baby...Then who would take the blame there? Certainly not the government who promoted the vaccine in the first place...

I understand that there have been people who have been infected and have died from H1N1, so it is a serious concern. Though at the same time, I think the media can go "overboard" with such a story, and blow it out of proportion, which makes people more scared about it than they should be. Instead of scaring people into thinking that they need the shot to cure their illness, why not teach good sanitary habits instead, so that illnesses are less likely to spread in the first place?

As for my family...No, we're not getting the H1N1 shot (or any type of flu shot for that matter). We will though, continue practicing healthy habits and be as healthy as possible so that we don't get sick. Besides, my son (who is about 3 months old) is too young to get the H1N1 vaccine, so even if we wanted to, we can't give them the vaccine. Lol...my son though is going for the next scheduled childhood vaccines (which have been tried and tested over time and proven to be safe and ok to have) when he is 4 months old..And that's enough as it is for him this year (poor kid...I hate to see him get his shots done...but, it has to be done...). We'll see next year as to whether or not he gets other shots outside of the recommended ones for all children...

Speaking of kids and shots...Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to make shots/vaccines easier to tolerate for babies and/or chidlren? As the doctor suggested, I tried infant tylenol after my son's last shots when he was crying in pain for a long time. That sort of worked, but I hate giving him medicine and it made him extra drowsy for a few days. Anything else I can do?

The bottom line: Do what is best for you and your family when it comes to vaccines and/or other medical treatments. Do your research and keep informed yourself. Do keep up with good health and sanitary practices. Do keep well and healthy.

Ok..so those are my thoughts on this topic..What are your thoughts?

Ant

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Timeline

ANT - don't know if there is much you can do to make it more comfortable for your little one. Short of keeping them comfy afterwards and ensuring they're warm, well fed and resting. The worst one I remember is the 18 month old one in the thigh. That one was bad enough that my daughter didn't want to walk for a couple days :(

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Timeline

They make a nasal spray H1N1 vaccine too if your kids don't like the shot.

That was an option on our sheets anyways.

My son hates needles so he's getting the spray.

Donne moi une poptart!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

i notice that quite a few of the links people post regarding the h1n1 flu shot are on the verge of conspiracy theory. there's healthy skepticism and then there's outright hysteria. and that doesn't help anyone.

ask your doctor questions. get the right information.

i follow a couple of science blogs. people in the field who know the right questions to ask and aren't about scaring people.

the ingredients in ANY vaccine are not attractive. but they work, and mostly without incident.

i got the regular flu vaccine. when everyone who is at a risk (and wishes to) gets their h1n1 vaccine and they have less of a shortage, i will probably get mine.

(my father is a scientist and a doctor and he is getting the h1n1 shot. he trusts his colleagues, and i trust him implicitly)

AOS

05.17.10 - I-485/I-765 mailed

05.25.10 - NoA

06.25.10 - biometrics appt

07.02.10 - emailed that our case is moved to CSC!

07.14.10 - touched

07.21.10 - touched

08.03.10 - approved for EAD

08.05.10 - uscis mailed out EAD

08.09.10 - EAD received!

01.05.11 - a ###### RFE over 6 ###### months after the fact

02.01.11 - touched

02.14.11 - APPROVED (finally)!

02.25.11 - received green card in the mail

DONE WITH USCIS FOR 2 YEARS!

(thank christ)

6scrqyns.png

Udella&Wiz-Sorry to hear about your little one's bad experience when getting her shot. I hope that she was ok after that, despite not being able to walk for a few days. And I hope that future shots for her will go smoothly too. Yeah, I know what you mean there about not being able to do much when a little one is in pain. I guess as parents we just hate to see them in pain like that, and kind of wonder if there is something more that can be done to ease that. Lol..Why do shots have to be so painful for children? Good idea though that you had about keeping them warm, fed, and resting afterwards. I remember the last time I got out of the doctor's office when my son had his shots, we couldn't wait to get out of there. He was crying all the way home...And we didn't make it back home in time to stop the crying...So we had to pull over and I had to cover him up and nurse him at the car wash nearby, while my husband had to run to the drugstore to get the tylenol...lol...what a day that was....Who knows what will happen next time around next month for his next shots...We'll see....lol....Oh the torture!....

ANT - don't know if there is much you can do to make it more comfortable for your little one. Short of keeping them comfy afterwards and ensuring they're warm, well fed and resting. The worst one I remember is the 18 month old one in the thigh. That one was bad enough that my daughter didn't want to walk for a couple days :(

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Sprailenes-Nasal sprays..That's a good idea! Now why can't they do that with all medications? Lol...

Hope all goes well for your son when he gets the nasal spray...

Oh yeah definitely better than a shot there, especially since he and other kids don't like shots. Ouch!

They make a nasal spray H1N1 vaccine too if your kids don't like the shot.

That was an option on our sheets anyways.

My son hates needles so he's getting the spray.

Bogartnoir-I agree, there will always be skepticism and conspiracies when it comes to medicine and other things in life (lol..do aliens exist...just kidding...only the immigration kinds do...). And yes, this mass hysteria is certainly not helping anyone either. So yes, everyone should ask questions, and keep informed, before making such decisions. After all, one doesn't want to have their health at risk, for the sake of panic....

i notice that quite a few of the links people post regarding the h1n1 flu shot are on the verge of conspiracy theory. there's healthy skepticism and then there's outright hysteria. and that doesn't help anyone.

ask your doctor questions. get the right information.

i follow a couple of science blogs. people in the field who know the right questions to ask and aren't about scaring people.

the ingredients in ANY vaccine are not attractive. but they work, and mostly without incident.

Timeline

Yea needles literally make my son throw up and pass out. They know this at the doctors office, they have to give him a bucket and hold him while he gets it because right afterwards he just gets dizzy, throws up and then passes out. He doesn't cry or freak out he just hates them that much.

It's hard to watch but he needs to be vaccinated.

Edited by Sprailenes

Donne moi une poptart!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.