redBlue

A sample letter to complain about the wait period for the Montreal interview

25 posts in this topic

It's too bad that you guys didn't send your letter... would have had some good impact ( or even a little impact) for a whole pile of well written, polite but thorough letters would have shown up at the consolate...

Whoa whoa whoa...I sent one!

Married: 07-03-09

I-130 filed: 08-11-09

NOA1: 09-04-09

NOA2: 10-01-09

NVC received: 10-14-09

Opted In to Electronic Processing: 10-19-09

Case complete @ NVC: 11-13-09

Interview assigned: 01-22-10 (70 days between case complete and interview assignment)

Medical in Vancouver: 01-28-10

Interview @ Montreal: 03-05-10 -- APPROVED!

POE @ Blaine (Pacific Highway): 03-10-10

3000 mile drive from Vancouver to DC: 03-10-10 to 3-12-10

Green card received: 04-02-10

SSN received: 04-07-10

------------------------------------------

Mailed I-751: 12-27-11

Arrived at USCIS: 12-29-11

I-751 NOA1: 12-30-11 Check cashed: 01-04-12

Biometrics: 02-24-12

10-year GC finally approved: 12-20-12

Received 10-year GC: 01-10-13

------------------------------------------

Better to be very overprepared than even slightly underprepared!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

becky07???

It confuses me when you call yourself Rick...

;)

Okay and Wyatt... my apologies -- i'm glad you all wrote letters and stuff... i hate it when the paths get beaten down with indignation and then as soon as relief is in site, all of a sudden you lose the troops!

Course i say that but I'm preeeeettty sure that if I'd gotten an interview, I'd be all like, yeah, yeah, letter... see you, bye!

;)

Yepper, I agree there. I wrote my own letter (s) and said what I wanted/needed to say -- took a little advice from here and a couple of friends nad was good to go.

It's too bad that you guys didn't send your letter... would have had some good impact ( or even a little impact) for a whole pile of well written, polite but thorough letters would have shown up at the consolate...

Oh well... I wouldn't expect any 'blacklisting' or anything from a simple, concise, polite letter anyway... like they'd even have time to read them!

:D

Following your lead, I wrote all in my list and have had very good response from a senator and a congressman. Both are no giving up and have promised to look into the manning of the embassy.

Now , wait and see.

Rick

USCIS

NOA #2: Approval June 25th, 2009 - 92 days

NVC

July 8, 2009 to August 10, 2009 - 28 days

Interview Assigned - December 3, 2009 - FINALLY!!

Medical - December 14, 2009 - Passed

Embassy/Interview - January 26, 2010 Montreal, Quebec Canada - 167 days PASSED!!!

Port of Entry - February 26, 2010 Baltimore International, Maryland

USCIS -- ROC package sent off

November 26, 2011 to Vermont station November 30, 2011 received NOA1December 16, 2011 received biometrics appointment.

January 04, 2012 Biometrics

September 2, 2012, RFE Received.

September 22, 2012 RFE responded to

October 15, 2012 ROC approved, 10 Green card on its way.

kermit_the_frog1237963302.jpg

"Here's some simple advice: Always be yourself. Never take yourself too seriously.

And beware of advice from experts, pigs, and members of Parliament."

Kermit the Frog

Visit my News Feed Page -- Good Reads for Everyone!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Zambia
Timeline

As best I can tell, the Consulate problem in Montreal is in the hands of the U.S. Department of State in Washington, headed by Hillary Clinton. The Canadian Consul General can't increase staff without authorization from Washington. Until a few years ago, the Consulate in Toronto also processed immigration visa applications, but no more. I suspect that is once source of the overload in Montreal.

Timeline

Squeaky wheel gets the grease as they say! But immigration is not a huge thing in the USA, I think many would like less immigration. So one may write their congress person stating they represent you and they need ur vote, but they probably have 100 other people who want less immigration, thus they will send you a nice letter, saying they feel your pain, blah blah blah, you know the story! But on the other hand if you don't try, for sure nothing gets accomplished, so it doesn't hurt to try.

It has been longer than a few yrs since Toronto handled them, they didn't back in 2004 when I went through the CR-1 process.

I haven't checked, but how does the wait times differ between Canada and other countries, such as China, or India, etc etc etc??? Well, off to work, cheers

Edited by Flames9_RN

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Squeaky wheel gets the grease as they say! But immigration is not a huge thing in the USA, I think many would like less immigration. So one may write their congress person stating they represent you and they need ur vote, but they probably have 100 other people who want less immigration, thus they will send you a nice letter, saying they feel your pain, blah blah blah, you know the story! But on the other hand if you don't try, for sure nothing gets accomplished, so it doesn't hurt to try.

It has been longer than a few yrs since Toronto handled them, they didn't back in 2004 when I went through the CR-1 process.

I haven't checked, but how does the wait times differ between Canada and other countries, such as China, or India, etc etc etc??? Well, off to work, cheers

I heard they last did it in 1996, but that's besides the point. I must respectfully disagree with the idea that there are 100 other folks writing to their representative complaining about immigration levels. There are a surprising few who bother to take the tiny effort to put pen to paper. Talk is cheap. The mood in the US is ambivalent towards immigration at the moment so I would write and write often. I would emphasize the fact that we are dealing with Canadians. It sounds terrible (actually, it is) but we sound like they do, we speak the same language and have similar backgrounds. Unless we make the effort nothing will happen. Can we change the waiting times at Montreal...YES WE CAN! I agree with what many have already posted and please try to avoid using a cookie-cutter approach to the letter, such documents lose their impact and do little but embellish wastepaper baskets. NOW GET TO WORK, THAT'S AN ORDER. :lol:

IR5

2007-07-27 – Case complete at NVC waiting on the world or at least MTL.

2007-12-19 - INTERVIEW AT MTL, SPLIT DECISION.

2007-12-24-Mom's I-551 arrives, Pop's still in purgatory (AP)

2008-03-11-AP all done, Pop is approved!!!!

tumblr_lme0c1CoS21qe0eclo1_r6_500.gif

Timeline

Well one could ask the average USA taxpayer, how do they feel about spending more $$ to decrease the wait time for people coming to the USA, and what do you think their response would be? I think you already know mine,lol

Again I think it comes down to wait times other countries are facing. I belive everyone should be treated the same, not just because were next door neighbors to the USA gives us special treatment. But my opinion are not popular with the majority here,lol So i will leave it at that,lol But as i stated above, in many occasions its not the worthy person getting the reward, its the squeaky wheel,lol

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline
Well one could ask the average USA taxpayer, how do they feel about spending more $ to decrease the wait time for people coming to the USA, and what do you think their response would be? I think you already know mine,lol

Again I think it comes down to wait times other countries are facing. I belive everyone should be treated the same, not just because were next door neighbors to the USA gives us special treatment. But my opinion are not popular with the majority here,lol So i will leave it at that,lol But as i stated above, in many occasions its not the worthy person getting the reward, its the squeaky wheel,lol

I think that if we use your model, if I said better allocation of resources as opposed to more spending what would you say? While I am personally opposed to special treatment, the fact is that immigrants from Anglophone countries are less likely to need time or resources to become ameliorated to the American landscape. Canadians are far more familiar with America than immigrants from any other country. This is one of the many reasons cited to limit immigration so this is one response to that issue.

IR5

Filed: Timeline
Well one could ask the average USA taxpayer, how do they feel about spending more $ to decrease the wait time for people coming to the USA, and what do you think their response would be? I think you already know mine,lol

I think that if we use your model, if I said better allocation of resources as opposed to more spending what would you say? While I am personally opposed to special treatment, the fact is that immigrants from Anglophone countries are less likely to need time or resources to become ameliorated to the American landscape. Canadians are far more familiar with America than immigrants from any other country. This is one of the many reasons cited to limit immigration so this is one response to that issue.

Hermano, I beg to differ. Although, in practice, some countries do get preferential treatment. Or, better said, ####### treatment (i.e. Middle East, China).

Timeline

Hermano, I beg to differ. Although, in practice, some countries do get preferential treatment. Or, better said, ####### treatment (i.e. Middle East, China).

You clarified your position so I won't need to crush you like an insect. *dives under his mattress and hopes the bad lady doesn't find him* :lol:

IR5

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.