Kittyfang

Can outstanding student loans keep me from getting Canadian Passport?

108 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
What state do you live in? Have you tried to get a state ID? I saw you post about Texas dr's so I assume you live there. Do you have an expired DL at all? You might be able to get an ID, but I know how crazy they are about using things from Canada, even though their website says they accept it.

I'm actually in Ohio. I called the BMV this morning and they said that they could not issue a State ID without a GC. :blush:

Do you have any photo ID?

Well, there's the million dollar question.

Yes, I do.

Do I have valid picture ID?

No.

The only (expired) picture ID I have, is the one I showed at the border.

How does one go through life without any other picture ID? I guess you never drove? I guess Canada is different than USA, but man, I've had some sort of picture ID since I was 16. Looks like passport Canada won't except something expired unless its a recently expired passort (i think someone already said this)

I have very few pieces of picture ID. I have a DL and a passport and that's it. I had a friend who drove without a DL throughout high school and university but he has one now. If the passport is expired less than one year then Passport Canada will take it, which is what I posted above. What picture ID did you show at the border and how long has it been expired?

IR5

2007-07-27 – Case complete at NVC waiting on the world or at least MTL.

2007-12-19 - INTERVIEW AT MTL, SPLIT DECISION.

2007-12-24-Mom's I-551 arrives, Pop's still in purgatory (AP)

2008-03-11-AP all done, Pop is approved!!!!

tumblr_lme0c1CoS21qe0eclo1_r6_500.gif

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

well, i guess the only two options you have is, wing it and file AOS with an expired ID and hope they don't care, but looks like you can get a Proof of Citizenship card even though you were born in Canada, but at least it would be a picture ID, if you have these things:

you have never had a citizenship certificate and you were born in Canada

* A birth certificate issued by the appropriate provincial or territorial authority

* Two (2) pieces of personal identification, such as a driver’s licence and a health insurance card

* Other documents, such as a marriage certificate/divorce certificate and/or a legal name change certificate (if applicable)

Though i dunno if they care if its expired. maybe talk to them. They say even if you have a birth certificate, you can get one of these. but they might think its silly, but its a picture id that you might be able to get so you can get a passport

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
I have very few pieces of picture ID. I have a DL and a passport and that's it. I had a friend who drove without a DL throughout high school and university but he has one now. If the passport is expired less than one year then Passport Canada will take it, which is what I posted above. What picture ID did you show at the border and how long has it been expired?

I showed Health Card, it has been expired for over a year.

well, i guess the only two options you have is, wing it and file AOS with an expired ID and hope they don't care, but looks like you can get a Proof of Citizenship card even though you were born in Canada, but at least it would be a picture ID, if you have these things:

* A birth certificate issued by the appropriate provincial or territorial authority

* Two (2) pieces of personal identification, such as a driver’s licence and a health insurance card

* Other documents, such as a marriage certificate/divorce certificate and/or a legal name change certificate (if applicable)

Though i dunno if they care if its expired. maybe talk to them. They say even if you have a birth certificate, you can get one of these. but they might think its silly, but its a picture id that you might be able to get so you can get a passport

I will have to look into that, but if they require two piece of picture ID, I'm SOL.

Adjustment of Status

11/03/10 ------- AoS (I-130/I-485) Package mailed out (Priority Mail)

11/07/10 ------- AoS Package received and singed for

11/10/10 ------- NOA1 received for I-130, I-485 and I-765 (emails)

11/12/10 ------- NOA1 received for I-130, I-485 and I-765 (hard copies)

11/12/10 ------- Touches on I-130, I-485 and I-765

11/19/10 ------- Biometrics appointment letter received

12/06/10 ------- RFE for I-693 (I think the issue is that it was not signed. Called USCIS and will receive a letter in a few days explaining)

12/13/10 ------- Biometrics done

12/16/10 ------- EAD card in production (email)

12/20/10 ------- Received "Letter of Explanation" for RFE (Service Request to expedite my case. Called USCIS and was told to ignore that and just send in response to RFE.)

12/22/10 ------- Touch (Email for Post Decision Activity on EAD saying that a letter of approval has been mailed out)

12/24/10 ------- Received EAD in the mail

12/27/10 ------- Applied for SSN

12/31/10 ------- Received Interview letter

01/03/11 ------- Received SSN card in the mail

01/07/11 ------- Mailed out response to RFE (I-693)

01/15/11 ------- Email confirming USCIS received RFE response

01/31/11 ------- Approved!

Pre-Adjustment of Status:

2006 -------- Met Online

02/07 ------- Visited him in the U.S. for what was suppose to be a few weeks (Came in with birth certificate and health card. Health card expired a few months after)

08/07 ------- Decided to get married because we didn't want to be apart (in the U.S.)

10/10 ------- USCIS Medical Done

Timeline

I will have to look into that, but if they require two piece of picture ID, I'm SOL.

I think a Proof of Citizenship is something like a Birth Certificate, which I have. It's not a picture ID.

Adjustment of Status

12/06/10 ------- RFE for I-693 (I think the issue is that it was not signed. Called USCIS and will receive a letter in a few days explaining)

12/20/10 ------- Received "Letter of Explanation" for RFE (Service Request to expedite my case. Called USCIS and was told to ignore that and just send in response to RFE.)

12/22/10 ------- Touch (Email for Post Decision Activity on EAD saying that a letter of approval has been mailed out)

2006 -------- Met Online

02/07 ------- Visited him in the U.S. for what was suppose to be a few weeks (Came in with birth certificate and health card. Health card expired a few months after)

08/07 ------- Decided to get married because we didn't want to be apart (in the U.S.)

Timeline

doesn't say two picture ID's, I'd assume you only need one. My husband's health card didn't have his pic on it, so i don't think that is normal in every province. its like getting a DL here, you show your old ID and your social security card, they usually just want to see names matching.

Timeline

I was reading your thread in the AOS forum and why not try to apply for a passport with the expired Health Card, SIN, and birth certificate like Inky suggested. Then, on top of that, maybe it would be helpful to include a cover letter stating your circumstances and why you no longer have valid picture identification. It may help...

Timeline
I was reading your thread in the AOS forum and why not try to apply for a passport with the expired Health Card, SIN, and birth certificate like Inky suggested. Then, on top of that, maybe it would be helpful to include a cover letter stating your circumstances and why you no longer have valid picture identification. It may help...

That is what I think I will do. If they deny me, I will be out of options... Maybe just try to do the Biometrics with the expired card.

See, the thing is that I know I need a passport, but with all these conflicting information, I'm thinking that I should try the biometrics with the expired ID. The reason is that the more I wait, the longer the expiration will be.

In any case, I'm caught in between.

If they were to turn me down, at the biometric office, I would just have to come back with my passport (if I can get it). Whichever happens first, I guess.

But, can I re-schedule a biometric appointment if I get turned down for not having ID?

Adjustment of Status

2006 -------- Met Online

Timeline

Like I said in the other post Nebraska USCIS requires valid photo ID, I called them and they said it has to have the correct dates and be up-to-date to be let into the building. Call the Ohio one and ask them if its valid ID.

Apply for your passport anyways you need it.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Timeline

I think applying for your passport and AOS at the same time would be a good idea. Passports are being processed rather quickly right now, so chances are you would have it in time for your biometrics appointment anyway. If you were denied then at least you would know where you stand. It very well may not delay anything for you.

Biometrics can be rescheduled. According to my old bio letter you just need to send it to the service center doing your biometrics and they will reschedule you a new date and time and send you a new letter.

Timeline
Like I said in the other post Nebraska USCIS requires valid photo ID, I called them and they said it has to have the correct dates and be up-to-date to be let into the building. Call the Ohio one and ask them if its valid ID.

Apply for your passport anyways you need it.

I was trying to find the number for the Ohio center. Do you were how to find those? the only one I could see was the misinformation hot line. :unsure:

I think applying for your passport and AOS at the same time would be a good idea. Passports are being processed rather quickly right now, so chances are you would have it in time for your biometrics appointment anyway. If you were denied then at least you would know where you stand. It very well may not delay anything for you.

Biometrics can be rescheduled. According to my old bio letter you just need to send it to the service center doing your biometrics and they will reschedule you a new date and time and send you a new letter.

I'm really hoping I can get a passport because this situation is killing me.

Adjustment of Status

2006 -------- Met Online

Timeline

Cincinnati, OH.

The address is: USCIS Application Support Center 550 Main Street Room 1524 Cincinnati, OH 45202-5298.

Cleveland, OH.

The address is: USCIS Application Support Center Anthony J. Celebreeze Federal Building 1240 East 9th Street Room 1259 Cleveland, OH 44199-2085.

Columbus, OH.

The address is: USCIS Application Support Center 50 West Broad Street Leveque Tower Suite 650 Columbus, OH 43215-5903.

heres the info i found but if you go here it shows a little more if you click the links to the places, doesnt list the numbers maybe you can google search the address and pull up the number for them tho?

https://egov.uscis.gov/crisgwi/go?action=of...or.statecode=OH

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Timeline
Cincinnati, OH.

The address is: USCIS Application Support Center 550 Main Street Room 1524 Cincinnati, OH 45202-5298.

Cleveland, OH.

The address is: USCIS Application Support Center Anthony J. Celebreeze Federal Building 1240 East 9th Street Room 1259 Cleveland, OH 44199-2085.

Columbus, OH.

The address is: USCIS Application Support Center 50 West Broad Street Leveque Tower Suite 650 Columbus, OH 43215-5903.

heres the info i found but if you go here it shows a little more if you click the links to the places, doesnt list the numbers maybe you can google search the address and pull up the number for them tho?

https://egov.uscis.gov/crisgwi/go?action=of...or.statecode=OH

Thank you! I will have to call them on Monday.

Ok, I just called Passport Canada again and explained the whole thing. The person told me that SIN card with Birth Certificate will be enough and that Student loans are provincial... so they should not affect the passport.

I will call back on Monday just to confirm and if I get the same reply, I will order one.

One thing I wonder. Maybe someone can tell me.

Let say I do order my passport, and collectors start calling, can they garnish my husband's pay, or bank account? I would hate to drag him into this.

Edited by Kittyfang

Adjustment of Status

2006 -------- Met Online

Timeline
No they can't touch your husband. Don't worry.

Thank you. I would rather work off the debt in a quarry, breaking rocks... like in the old movies than have this mess reach my husband.

Adjustment of Status

2006 -------- Met Online

Timeline

Kitty, while I still think you are annoying, it is apparent to me that you are incredibly worried as you should be.

I really hope you can get it straight and I think you should apply for the passport. I don't think you should apply for AOS until you have a passport but that is just my opinion. I really don't see how you will be able to see this process through without a passport. Especially because of how you entered, which they have no record of, they aren't going to let you off with some expired documents.

When I came to the US as a visitor and then married a few months after that, I had my plane stub of my entering the US. That is what I used to determine my length of stay on my AOS application.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.