Kittyfang

Can outstanding student loans keep me from getting Canadian Passport?

108 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
The first thing that comes to me mind is that government agencies in Canada are notoriously bad with communicating with each other. Is this an OSAP loan? If you're worried that the federal government will go tell Ontario they found you, I don't really think that would happen. At least not for quite a while. On the other hand, if this has somehow created a criminal record for you, it could be a problem. Then again, I know people who have had misdemeanor charges and still were granted a passport, so even that may not come up as an issue. You never know until you try.

Like the others said, I think getting a passport is really an important first step. Although you don't necessarily need a passport for your biometrics, the letter does say, "applicants must bring their Permanent Residence Card/Resident Alien Card, or a passport, driver's license, national ID, military ID, or state-issued photo ID. If you appear without proper identification, you biometrics may not be taken." So like you already mentioned, getting a passport is probably the only piece of valid ID you'll be able to obtain without any kind of prof of status here in the US. When you eventually go for an AOS interview, you will need valid ID then as well. It says on the letter that, "every adult who comes to the interview must being Government-issues photo identification, such as a driver's license or ID card, in order to enter the building and to verify his/her identity at the time of the interview." So, it seems like its very unlikely you will be able to go through this process without proper identification. I can't imagine it not coming up as an issue at at least one of these appointments.

Good luck!

Thank you for your input. I'm getting more and more convinced that I will have to bite the bullet and get my passport. One thing tho, and I could be very wrong, but I don't think you can get a criminal record for unpaid loan. Maybe someone knows? :unsure:

I would hate to go trough all this, only to fail before I even started.

I don't have to whip up a Memorandum of Fact and Law to tell you that you are not in any danger of getting a criminal record. Now if you decide to rob a bank to help pay off the loan... :bonk: Take one step at a time, apply for your passport and go on from there. We're here for you. :thumbs:

Well, there goes my bank robbing alternative solution! :D

But thank you for the support.

oh, in the mean time, I called Passport Canada again, and got a new twist on the story. Now, the lady says that I CAN get a passport even with student loans... but that I CANT get one, because the only ID I have in SIN card and Birth Certificate... The story just keeps changing every time I call. :angry:

Adjustment of Status

11/03/10 ------- AoS (I-130/I-485) Package mailed out (Priority Mail)

11/07/10 ------- AoS Package received and singed for

11/10/10 ------- NOA1 received for I-130, I-485 and I-765 (emails)

11/12/10 ------- NOA1 received for I-130, I-485 and I-765 (hard copies)

11/12/10 ------- Touches on I-130, I-485 and I-765

11/19/10 ------- Biometrics appointment letter received

12/06/10 ------- RFE for I-693 (I think the issue is that it was not signed. Called USCIS and will receive a letter in a few days explaining)

12/13/10 ------- Biometrics done

12/16/10 ------- EAD card in production (email)

12/20/10 ------- Received "Letter of Explanation" for RFE (Service Request to expedite my case. Called USCIS and was told to ignore that and just send in response to RFE.)

12/22/10 ------- Touch (Email for Post Decision Activity on EAD saying that a letter of approval has been mailed out)

12/24/10 ------- Received EAD in the mail

12/27/10 ------- Applied for SSN

12/31/10 ------- Received Interview letter

01/03/11 ------- Received SSN card in the mail

01/07/11 ------- Mailed out response to RFE (I-693)

01/15/11 ------- Email confirming USCIS received RFE response

01/31/11 ------- Approved!

Pre-Adjustment of Status:

2006 -------- Met Online

02/07 ------- Visited him in the U.S. for what was suppose to be a few weeks (Came in with birth certificate and health card. Health card expired a few months after)

08/07 ------- Decided to get married because we didn't want to be apart (in the U.S.)

10/10 ------- USCIS Medical Done

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
The first thing that comes to me mind is that government agencies in Canada are notoriously bad with communicating with each other. Is this an OSAP loan? If you're worried that the federal government will go tell Ontario they found you, I don't really think that would happen. At least not for quite a while. On the other hand, if this has somehow created a criminal record for you, it could be a problem. Then again, I know people who have had misdemeanor charges and still were granted a passport, so even that may not come up as an issue. You never know until you try.

Like the others said, I think getting a passport is really an important first step. Although you don't necessarily need a passport for your biometrics, the letter does say, "applicants must bring their Permanent Residence Card/Resident Alien Card, or a passport, driver's license, national ID, military ID, or state-issued photo ID. If you appear without proper identification, you biometrics may not be taken." So like you already mentioned, getting a passport is probably the only piece of valid ID you'll be able to obtain without any kind of prof of status here in the US. When you eventually go for an AOS interview, you will need valid ID then as well. It says on the letter that, "every adult who comes to the interview must being Government-issues photo identification, such as a driver's license or ID card, in order to enter the building and to verify his/her identity at the time of the interview." So, it seems like its very unlikely you will be able to go through this process without proper identification. I can't imagine it not coming up as an issue at at least one of these appointments.

Good luck!

Thank you for your input. I'm getting more and more convinced that I will have to bite the bullet and get my passport. One thing tho, and I could be very wrong, but I don't think you can get a criminal record for unpaid loan. Maybe someone knows? :unsure:

I don't think you can just 'get' a criminal record, you have to be charged with something first.

I think your loan is in collections and I am sure you're not the only one in this situation, there are others in the same boat you're in so you need not feel alone and panic. The situation isn't great, but it could always always be worse.

Does your husband realize what kind of mess you're in? Does he understand and is he willing to help you a bit if you have to make payments now?

They used to be in the reduced bin at Sam the Record Man. :lol:

IR5

2007-07-27 – Case complete at NVC waiting on the world or at least MTL.

2007-12-19 - INTERVIEW AT MTL, SPLIT DECISION.

2007-12-24-Mom's I-551 arrives, Pop's still in purgatory (AP)

2008-03-11-AP all done, Pop is approved!!!!

tumblr_lme0c1CoS21qe0eclo1_r6_500.gif

Timeline

Good luck!

I don't have to whip up a Memorandum of Fact and Law to tell you that you are not in any danger of getting a criminal record. Now if you decide to rob a bank to help pay off the loan... :bonk: Take one step at a time, apply for your passport and go on from there. We're here for you. :thumbs:

Well, there goes my bank robbing alternative solution! :D

But thank you for the support.

oh, in the mean time, I called Passport Canada again, and got a new twist on the story. Now, the lady says that I CAN get a passport even with student loans... but that I CANT get one, because the only ID I have in SIN card and Birth Certificate... The story just keeps changing every time I call. :angry:

SIN card and Birth Certificate are OK, but they usually want one piece of picture ID. An old passport (expired within the last 6 mos. to one year, depends on who you speak to), sometimes a student ID, a DL is always good, Age of Majority cards are usually good. Your best bet is to look at the form and then just go in and see what happens. I don't know where you are but in person is usually the best way.

Edited by IR5FORMUMSIE

IR5

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
I missed this. You are in a huge, huge pickle (of your own making). Apply for the damn passport; since otherwise they will not let you in for biometrics and will not issue a green card. If it is denied -the passport-, you will have to go home, get this ####### sorted out and begin the process like I told you in your other thread. Consequences are a b1tch Kitty, and you will have to deal with them now.

oh I know. I'm still trying to see what way I should go right now. On one hand, I really do need the passport, just to have it, if nothing else. On the other hand, I've been told (not just by VJers, but by an immigration counselor) that I might be able to get in with just (expired) ID.

It's so silly that something so small is keeping me from going on.

Kitty... I think you'll hear what you want to hear. Understandable since the situation you are in isn't desirable and you want to be told that it's going to be okay.

Like someone else said you are dealing with an overstay, walking in without a passport or anything for that matter isn't going to help your case at all. You need a passport.

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline

Wouldn't she need to go to Canada to get the passport processed in person? If so that's not an option, she'll need to do it through the mail.

Yeah you need picture ID to get a passport. My brother needed to go update his health card so he has some picture ID to get his passport so he can come to my wedding LOL

12/31/2009 - Marriage

07/21/2010 - AOS approved

08/04/2010 - Green Card received (and it's actually green!)

05/30/2012 - Sent ROC packet to VSC

06/08/2012 - Received NOA1 for ROC (Dated 06/04/2012)

Timeline
I missed this. You are in a huge, huge pickle (of your own making). Apply for the damn passport; since otherwise they will not let you in for biometrics and will not issue a green card. If it is denied -the passport-, you will have to go home, get this ####### sorted out and begin the process like I told you in your other thread. Consequences are a b1tch Kitty, and you will have to deal with them now.

oh I know. I'm still trying to see what way I should go right now. On one hand, I really do need the passport, just to have it, if nothing else. On the other hand, I've been told (not just by VJers, but by an immigration counselor) that I might be able to get in with just (expired) ID.

It's so silly that something so small is keeping me from going on.

Kitty... I think you'll hear what you want to hear. Understandable since the situation you are in isn't desirable and you want to be told that it's going to be okay.

Like someone else said you are dealing with an overstay, walking in without a passport or anything for that matter isn't going to help your case at all. You need a passport.

No, I know I need a passport. I just hate waiting. I was ready to file within the next few days. What I'm thinking is that I should file, for both the AoS and the passport. If I get the biometric appointment first, I'll try with my expired ID, if they return me, I will reschedule with passport. I CAN reschedule.. right? :unsure:

Not only that, but let say they do deny my passport, because I have no picture ID, like peach stated, I should still try to adjust. If nothing else, to be able to get a GC so I can THEN get a passport.

I do want to get my sh*t together. I'm just trying to triage what I need to do first. Seems like without picture ID, and with some loans, that passport is gonna be harder to get than AoS.

Edited by Kittyfang

Adjustment of Status

12/06/10 ------- RFE for I-693 (I think the issue is that it was not signed. Called USCIS and will receive a letter in a few days explaining)

12/20/10 ------- Received "Letter of Explanation" for RFE (Service Request to expedite my case. Called USCIS and was told to ignore that and just send in response to RFE.)

12/22/10 ------- Touch (Email for Post Decision Activity on EAD saying that a letter of approval has been mailed out)

2006 -------- Met Online

02/07 ------- Visited him in the U.S. for what was suppose to be a few weeks (Came in with birth certificate and health card. Health card expired a few months after)

08/07 ------- Decided to get married because we didn't want to be apart (in the U.S.)

Timeline

What state do you live in? Have you tried to get a state ID? I saw you post about Texas dr's so I assume you live there. Do you have an expired DL at all? You might be able to get an ID, but I know how crazy they are about using things from Canada, even though their website says they accept it.

Timeline
Wouldn't she need to go to Canada to get the passport processed in person? If so that's not an option, she'll need to do it through the mail.

True, I forgot that she was in the US. She should use the mail, there used to be a program at some of the consulates but I think they canned that.

IR5

Timeline
What state do you live in? Have you tried to get a state ID? I saw you post about Texas dr's so I assume you live there. Do you have an expired DL at all? You might be able to get an ID, but I know how crazy they are about using things from Canada, even though their website says they accept it.

I'm actually in Ohio. I called the BMV this morning and they said that they could not issue a State ID without a GC. :blush:

Adjustment of Status

2006 -------- Met Online

Timeline

True, I forgot that she was in the US. She should use the mail, there used to be a program at some of the consulates but I think they canned that.

Oh I called the embassy. I figured "yeah, I know I ####*d up, but I'm trying to fix things... Shouldn't they be able to help me out. I mean, I know they have their own thing going, but I've always thought that an embassy was there to help their citizen"... I was freaking mistaken. The woman told me there was nothing she could do, she referred me to Passport Canada and hung up.

As it stands, even if I WANTED to go back to Canada, I wouldn't be able to. :unsure:

Adjustment of Status

2006 -------- Met Online

Timeline

I'm actually in Ohio. I called the BMV this morning and they said that they could not issue a State ID without a GC. :blush:

Do you have any photo ID?

IR5

Timeline

Well, there's the million dollar question.

Yes, I do.

Do I have valid picture ID?

No.

The only (expired) picture ID I have, is the one I showed at the border.

Adjustment of Status

2006 -------- Met Online

Timeline

Yes, I do.

No.

How does one go through life without any other picture ID? I guess you never drove? I guess Canada is different than USA, but man, I've had some sort of picture ID since I was 16. Looks like passport Canada won't except something expired unless its a recently expired passort (i think someone already said this)

Edited by wowswift

Timeline

Yes, I do.

No.

How does one go through life without any other picture ID? I guess you never drove? I guess Canada is different than USA, but man, I've had some sort of picture ID since I was 16. Looks like passport Canada won't except something expired unless its a recently expired passort (i think someone already said this)

I don't drive no. Never has. Always lived in a city with public transportation.

Adjustment of Status

2006 -------- Met Online

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.