Kittyfang

Can outstanding student loans keep me from getting Canadian Passport?

108 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
I'm not in denial and I'm absolutely not trying to hide. I'm just trying to figure out the best solution. Yes, I need a passport, but if it's going to bring on a bigger problem that I cannot address now, I'd rather try a impler solution.

It's not hiding, it's trying to not make a bad situation worse.

The situation is already bad, but why is applying for a passport going to make it worse? If they know your new address its that they'll start sending letters? That's not worse, because the amount you owe is still the same. Now, if there was a rule that once they find you the interest triples on the loan, then that would be worse. Your situation remains the same whether they have your address or not.

And you can address the problem now. It doesn't mean making payments but you can respond that you're currently not working and unable to repay at the moment. And get the process into place to know exactly what you owe, how much you may owe in the future and any possible consequences or reprieve that may be available to you.

And yes, I'd apply for the passport. How dumb are you going to look when you show up with expired ID, and tell them the reason you don't have a valid passport is because you were scared the CDN gov't was going to find out about your overdue student loans? While student loans and debt will not affect your application, they will certainly color someone's view of you as to whether you are a credible and honest person. Which if you're trying to overcome an overstay you may want to be as by-the-book as possible in order to show that you've matured since your overstay and aware that choices of actions do have consequences. When someone takes actions that send up red-flags you can be assured that their application is given far more scrutiny.

Just my thoughts.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Personally i think many of you have given her a hard time and should just drop it! MANY people come to the USA with no intention of staying and they do! One doesnt know the whole story, and one isn't expected to share their whole story on the internet! Who knows, maybe this person left an abusive relationship back In canada, etc etc, they shouldn't be expected to state that on a forum. So what if you (or we) did it by the books. You can sleep peaceful that n one is going to be knocking on ur door telling you to leave the USA. And you can safely go back to Canada while they can't! Not everyone knows the rules of immigration! And one truly can't feel the 'tone" of ones posts, some people take it the wrong way! Just seems to be a lot more bickering on the cdn forum lately, slowly taking the turn to be more like the other OT forum, which is sort of sad. I usually find it nicer to help others, than attack them, but thats just me!

Finally a modicum of sanity. :thumbs: Whatever your opinion of Kittyfang (Sprailenes you are not alone!) let's not be judgemental, let's be helpful or at least civil about it. If you apply for a passport and have student loans, you will not be refused especially if the account has gone on to a collection agency. Flames9_RN now that you are in such a commiserative mood, apologize for your Leaf bashing. :lol: Admit that you have a Lanny McDonald jersey with a number 7 on the back, it will be good for your soul. :lol:

IR5

2007-07-27 – Case complete at NVC waiting on the world or at least MTL.

2007-12-19 - INTERVIEW AT MTL, SPLIT DECISION.

2007-12-24-Mom's I-551 arrives, Pop's still in purgatory (AP)

2008-03-11-AP all done, Pop is approved!!!!

tumblr_lme0c1CoS21qe0eclo1_r6_500.gif

Timeline

I refuse to acknowledge the Great Lanny's time with the Leafs, it just didn't happen!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline
I refuse to acknowledge the Great Lanny's time with the Leafs, it just didn't happen!

:lol: Blastphemer! The power of Clancy compels you, the power of Clancy compels you. :lol: ...And when Lanny was driven out of Toronto by the mighty Pharaoh Ballard he wandered in the wilderness until he reached the Rockies of Colorado, being fed nought but Cherries of Don during his sojourn. :innocent:

Edited by IR5FORMUMSIE

IR5

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You two are tards. :wacko:

Kitty - apply for the passport and let us know how it works out. You need it if you can get it right? Having it will make life easier.

I was going to say - half the time the government is stupid anyway and they don't know their right from their left.....your student loans may not even come into play and well....if they do, then so be it. You know they're outstanding, not like that's news to you.

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Timeline

The first thing that comes to me mind is that government agencies in Canada are notoriously bad with communicating with each other. Is this an OSAP loan? If you're worried that the federal government will go tell Ontario they found you, I don't really think that would happen. At least not for quite a while. On the other hand, if this has somehow created a criminal record for you, it could be a problem. Then again, I know people who have had misdemeanor charges and still were granted a passport, so even that may not come up as an issue. You never know until you try.

Like the others said, I think getting a passport is really an important first step. Although you don't necessarily need a passport for your biometrics, the letter does say, "applicants must bring their Permanent Residence Card/Resident Alien Card, or a passport, driver's license, national ID, military ID, or state-issued photo ID. If you appear without proper identification, you biometrics may not be taken." So like you already mentioned, getting a passport is probably the only piece of valid ID you'll be able to obtain without any kind of prof of status here in the US. When you eventually go for an AOS interview, you will need valid ID then as well. It says on the letter that, "every adult who comes to the interview must being Government-issues photo identification, such as a driver's license or ID card, in order to enter the building and to verify his/her identity at the time of the interview." So, it seems like its very unlikely you will be able to go through this process without proper identification. I can't imagine it not coming up as an issue at at least one of these appointments.

Good luck!

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
The first thing that comes to me mind is that government agencies in Canada are notoriously bad with communicating with each other. Is this an OSAP loan? If you're worried that the federal government will go tell Ontario they found you, I don't really think that would happen. At least not for quite a while. On the other hand, if this has somehow created a criminal record for you, it could be a problem. Then again, I know people who have had misdemeanor charges and still were granted a passport, so even that may not come up as an issue. You never know until you try.

Like the others said, I think getting a passport is really an important first step. Although you don't necessarily need a passport for your biometrics, the letter does say, "applicants must bring their Permanent Residence Card/Resident Alien Card, or a passport, driver's license, national ID, military ID, or state-issued photo ID. If you appear without proper identification, you biometrics may not be taken." So like you already mentioned, getting a passport is probably the only piece of valid ID you'll be able to obtain without any kind of prof of status here in the US. When you eventually go for an AOS interview, you will need valid ID then as well. It says on the letter that, "every adult who comes to the interview must being Government-issues photo identification, such as a driver's license or ID card, in order to enter the building and to verify his/her identity at the time of the interview." So, it seems like its very unlikely you will be able to go through this process without proper identification. I can't imagine it not coming up as an issue at at least one of these appointments.

Good luck!

Thank you for your input. I'm getting more and more convinced that I will have to bite the bullet and get my passport. One thing tho, and I could be very wrong, but I don't think you can get a criminal record for unpaid loan. Maybe someone knows? :unsure:

I would hate to go trough all this, only to fail before I even started.

Adjustment of Status

11/03/10 ------- AoS (I-130/I-485) Package mailed out (Priority Mail)

11/07/10 ------- AoS Package received and singed for

11/10/10 ------- NOA1 received for I-130, I-485 and I-765 (emails)

11/12/10 ------- NOA1 received for I-130, I-485 and I-765 (hard copies)

11/12/10 ------- Touches on I-130, I-485 and I-765

11/19/10 ------- Biometrics appointment letter received

12/06/10 ------- RFE for I-693 (I think the issue is that it was not signed. Called USCIS and will receive a letter in a few days explaining)

12/13/10 ------- Biometrics done

12/16/10 ------- EAD card in production (email)

12/20/10 ------- Received "Letter of Explanation" for RFE (Service Request to expedite my case. Called USCIS and was told to ignore that and just send in response to RFE.)

12/22/10 ------- Touch (Email for Post Decision Activity on EAD saying that a letter of approval has been mailed out)

12/24/10 ------- Received EAD in the mail

12/27/10 ------- Applied for SSN

12/31/10 ------- Received Interview letter

01/03/11 ------- Received SSN card in the mail

01/07/11 ------- Mailed out response to RFE (I-693)

01/15/11 ------- Email confirming USCIS received RFE response

01/31/11 ------- Approved!

Pre-Adjustment of Status:

2006 -------- Met Online

02/07 ------- Visited him in the U.S. for what was suppose to be a few weeks (Came in with birth certificate and health card. Health card expired a few months after)

08/07 ------- Decided to get married because we didn't want to be apart (in the U.S.)

10/10 ------- USCIS Medical Done

Timeline

Kitty - apply for the passport and let us know how it works out. You need it if you can get it right? Having it will make life easier.

I was going to say - half the time the government is stupid anyway and they don't know their right from their left.....your student loans may not even come into play and well....if they do, then so be it. You know they're outstanding, not like that's news to you.

Did you read what I just wrote about being civil? :angry: I guess you didn't learn that when you took the short bus to school, I'll use a crayon font next time so you can sound out the big words. Besides it takes one to know one. :P

IR5

Timeline

Good luck!

Thank you for your input. I'm getting more and more convinced that I will have to bite the bullet and get my passport. One thing tho, and I could be very wrong, but I don't think you can get a criminal record for unpaid loan. Maybe someone knows? :unsure:

I don't think you can just 'get' a criminal record, you have to be charged with something first.

I think your loan is in collections and I am sure you're not the only one in this situation, there are others in the same boat you're in so you need not feel alone and panic. The situation isn't great, but it could always always be worse.

Does your husband realize what kind of mess you're in? Does he understand and is he willing to help you a bit if you have to make payments now?

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline

Did you read what I just wrote about being civil? :angry: I guess you didn't learn that when you took the short bus to school, I'll use a crayon font next time so you can sound out the big words. Besides it takes one to know one. :P

I am entirely too young to know anything about Lanny MacDonald..or his big moustache

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Timeline

Ha! You all is funny for a bunch of 'tards!!!

I am entirely too young to know anything about Lanny MacDonald..or his big moustache

USCIS

NOA #2: Approval June 25th, 2009 - 92 days

NVC

July 8, 2009 to August 10, 2009 - 28 days

Interview Assigned - December 3, 2009 - FINALLY!!

Medical - December 14, 2009 - Passed

Embassy/Interview - January 26, 2010 Montreal, Quebec Canada - 167 days PASSED!!!

Port of Entry - February 26, 2010 Baltimore International, Maryland

USCIS -- ROC package sent off

November 26, 2011 to Vermont station November 30, 2011 received NOA1December 16, 2011 received biometrics appointment.

January 04, 2012 Biometrics

September 2, 2012, RFE Received.

September 22, 2012 RFE responded to

October 15, 2012 ROC approved, 10 Green card on its way.

kermit_the_frog1237963302.jpg

"Here's some simple advice: Always be yourself. Never take yourself too seriously.

And beware of advice from experts, pigs, and members of Parliament."

Kermit the Frog

Visit my News Feed Page -- Good Reads for Everyone!

Timeline

Good luck!

I don't think you can just 'get' a criminal record, you have to be charged with something first.

I think your loan is in collections and I am sure you're not the only one in this situation, there are others in the same boat you're in so you need not feel alone and panic. The situation isn't great, but it could always always be worse.

Does your husband realize what kind of mess you're in? Does he understand and is he willing to help you a bit if you have to make payments now?

My husband would help if he could. But we are barely going by on his salary, which is less than $1000 a month (we were going to use a co-sponsor for the AoS).

Adjustment of Status

12/06/10 ------- RFE for I-693 (I think the issue is that it was not signed. Called USCIS and will receive a letter in a few days explaining)

12/20/10 ------- Received "Letter of Explanation" for RFE (Service Request to expedite my case. Called USCIS and was told to ignore that and just send in response to RFE.)

12/22/10 ------- Touch (Email for Post Decision Activity on EAD saying that a letter of approval has been mailed out)

2006 -------- Met Online

02/07 ------- Visited him in the U.S. for what was suppose to be a few weeks (Came in with birth certificate and health card. Health card expired a few months after)

08/07 ------- Decided to get married because we didn't want to be apart (in the U.S.)

Filed: Timeline

I missed this. You are in a huge, huge pickle (of your own making). Apply for the damn passport; since otherwise they will not let you in for biometrics and will not issue a green card. If it is denied -the passport-, you will have to go home, get this ####### sorted out and begin the process like I told you in your other thread. Consequences are a b1tch Kitty, and you will have to deal with them now.

Timeline

Good luck!

I don't have to whip up a Memorandum of Fact and Law to tell you that you are not in any danger of getting a criminal record. Now if you decide to rob a bank to help pay off the loan... :bonk: Take one step at a time, apply for your passport and go on from there. We're here for you. :thumbs:

IR5

Timeline
I missed this. You are in a huge, huge pickle (of your own making). Apply for the damn passport; since otherwise they will not let you in for biometrics and will not issue a green card. If it is denied -the passport-, you will have to go home, get this ####### sorted out and begin the process like I told you in your other thread. Consequences are a b1tch Kitty, and you will have to deal with them now.

oh I know. I'm still trying to see what way I should go right now. On one hand, I really do need the passport, just to have it, if nothing else. On the other hand, I've been told (not just by VJers, but by an immigration counselor) that I might be able to get in with just (expired) ID.

It's so silly that something so small is keeping me from going on.

Adjustment of Status

2006 -------- Met Online

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.