Kittyfang

Can outstanding student loans keep me from getting Canadian Passport?

108 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Well, I know my loan is pretty high. I was one of those people who went to college, then university, then realized that my degree wouldn't do any good... I should have gone to vocational school and been a hairdressed...

Anyway, at this point, these are the two options I have (now that I have a clear head and that I have stopped shaking and wanting to cry).

I can, A. Try the passport and either get denied, or accepted/denied, and have to have the loan repayment. (As I've said, I am not trying to dodge, but since I cannot work right now, it would be another catastrophe on top of everything else).

Or B. I could go withthe ID I have. I spoke with a immigration community help.. person. She told me "I don't think it'll be an issue. You will have your appointment notice. You can show them your expired picture ID. They may make you sign something, but I don't think that THIS would hold up the ####### process"...

So, I am mulling over those two choices. I will be honest and say that the option B is more tempting. Worse that can happen is what? They turn me around and tell me to go get proper ID. Will they place me in deportation procedure? I don't know, would seem unlikely.

Hey I have an idea, instead of wishing I was a hairdresser. I should wish I was an immigration lawyer.

Adjustment of Status

11/03/10 ------- AoS (I-130/I-485) Package mailed out (Priority Mail)

11/07/10 ------- AoS Package received and singed for

11/10/10 ------- NOA1 received for I-130, I-485 and I-765 (emails)

11/12/10 ------- NOA1 received for I-130, I-485 and I-765 (hard copies)

11/12/10 ------- Touches on I-130, I-485 and I-765

11/19/10 ------- Biometrics appointment letter received

12/06/10 ------- RFE for I-693 (I think the issue is that it was not signed. Called USCIS and will receive a letter in a few days explaining)

12/13/10 ------- Biometrics done

12/16/10 ------- EAD card in production (email)

12/20/10 ------- Received "Letter of Explanation" for RFE (Service Request to expedite my case. Called USCIS and was told to ignore that and just send in response to RFE.)

12/22/10 ------- Touch (Email for Post Decision Activity on EAD saying that a letter of approval has been mailed out)

12/24/10 ------- Received EAD in the mail

12/27/10 ------- Applied for SSN

12/31/10 ------- Received Interview letter

01/03/11 ------- Received SSN card in the mail

01/07/11 ------- Mailed out response to RFE (I-693)

01/15/11 ------- Email confirming USCIS received RFE response

01/31/11 ------- Approved!

Pre-Adjustment of Status:

2006 -------- Met Online

02/07 ------- Visited him in the U.S. for what was suppose to be a few weeks (Came in with birth certificate and health card. Health card expired a few months after)

08/07 ------- Decided to get married because we didn't want to be apart (in the U.S.)

10/10 ------- USCIS Medical Done

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

There's no degree that isn't worth anything so don't tell yourself that. A degree is a degree and it will open doors for you somewhere.

Has it been 2.5 years since you have been in default of your loans? I think you could call them and ask them for information about your case. Could your husband possibly help you with some payments right now?

I would just apply for the passport and try.

Donne moi une poptart!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Ok don't know the situation or story of how you're here, but as someone mentioned being here out of status is the being here illegally. The legal status is over, so it's now illegal presence.

Now since that's not the issue at hand, on to the passport.

I thought having and getting a passport is a right that can't be denied to any individual for any reason. Maybe this isn't the case. Are hard time criminals allowed passports? Maybe they aren't and if not, maybe they can deny a passport to people.

I would think that they could only deny one if you were a flight risk, which may be something that like everyone else is saying, you need to apply to in order to find out.

I personally don't think they would deny a passport because of student loans though. I know people that have gotten theirs without any issues and have student loans...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

My cousin told me he can't come to my wedding because he can't get a passport due to his criminal record...

12/31/2009 - Marriage

07/21/2010 - AOS approved

08/04/2010 - Green Card received (and it's actually green!)

05/30/2012 - Sent ROC packet to VSC

06/08/2012 - Received NOA1 for ROC (Dated 06/04/2012)

Timeline
There's no degree that isn't worth anything so don't tell yourself that. A degree is a degree and it will open doors for you somewhere.

Has it been 2.5 years since you have been in default of your loans? I think you could call them and ask them for information about your case. Could your husband possibly help you with some payments right now?

No, you're right. I agree. What I meant is that, when I chose what I was going to study, I wish I had given it more thought. Maybe chosen something that was a little more flexible.

It has been about 2.5-3 years, yes. I will have to check on my case and make some kind of deal with them regarding payments.

Adjustment of Status

12/06/10 ------- RFE for I-693 (I think the issue is that it was not signed. Called USCIS and will receive a letter in a few days explaining)

12/20/10 ------- Received "Letter of Explanation" for RFE (Service Request to expedite my case. Called USCIS and was told to ignore that and just send in response to RFE.)

12/22/10 ------- Touch (Email for Post Decision Activity on EAD saying that a letter of approval has been mailed out)

2006 -------- Met Online

02/07 ------- Visited him in the U.S. for what was suppose to be a few weeks (Came in with birth certificate and health card. Health card expired a few months after)

08/07 ------- Decided to get married because we didn't want to be apart (in the U.S.)

Timeline
My cousin told me he can't come to my wedding because he can't get a passport due to his criminal record...

I think if you have a felony, they will not issue one, or the US will not let you in. But I think for things like misdemeanor, it's another matter... But I could be wrong, that's just what's on the Canadian Passport web page.

Adjustment of Status

2006 -------- Met Online

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

It's probably gone into collections now, Kittyfang... and one thing I do know is that a collection agency will tell you they want all your outstanding balance at once -- not true at all. You can negotiate to make a minimum payment.

Also, I really don't think that it's going to effect your getting a passport -- I really don't....

They might be able to find you now, and call you adn such but I just can't see them withholding your passport....

No, you're right. I agree. What I meant is that, when I chose what I was going to study, I wish I had given it more thought. Maybe chosen something that was a little more flexible.

It has been about 2.5-3 years, yes. I will have to check on my case and make some kind of deal with them regarding payments.

USCIS

NOA #2: Approval June 25th, 2009 - 92 days

NVC

July 8, 2009 to August 10, 2009 - 28 days

Interview Assigned - December 3, 2009 - FINALLY!!

Medical - December 14, 2009 - Passed

Embassy/Interview - January 26, 2010 Montreal, Quebec Canada - 167 days PASSED!!!

Port of Entry - February 26, 2010 Baltimore International, Maryland

USCIS -- ROC package sent off

November 26, 2011 to Vermont station November 30, 2011 received NOA1December 16, 2011 received biometrics appointment.

January 04, 2012 Biometrics

September 2, 2012, RFE Received.

September 22, 2012 RFE responded to

October 15, 2012 ROC approved, 10 Green card on its way.

kermit_the_frog1237963302.jpg

"Here's some simple advice: Always be yourself. Never take yourself too seriously.

And beware of advice from experts, pigs, and members of Parliament."

Kermit the Frog

Visit my News Feed Page -- Good Reads for Everyone!

Timeline

Have they not been calling your parents or old job or anything?

Last year I accidentally missed a payment because I forgot to transfer the money on time and they were calling my mother non-stop... and this was like 2 days after it was late. Luckily when I called them and told them that their money was coming and not to get their knickers in a knot they understood, but that was just like 2-3 days past due.

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline
Have they not been calling your parents or old job or anything?

Last year I accidentally missed a payment because I forgot to transfer the money on time and they were calling my mother non-stop... and this was like 2 days after it was late. Luckily when I called them and told them that their money was coming and not to get their knickers in a knot they understood, but that was just like 2-3 days past due.

I don't have a lot of family in Canada. A half sister and a aunt. We are on good terms, but don't talk much, we don't even share the same last name. So I doubt they have received calls. Which is really strange now that I think about it... I will have to ask them and make sure.

Adjustment of Status

2006 -------- Met Online

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I can't really see how you would get past a Biometrics Appointment with expired ID. They required me and everyone else that was with me to have a valid passport. Maybe there are extreme cases, but I just can't see how that would work for them... they were strict on IDs.

I don't think they will deny you a passport to be honest. They might be able to find you and call you re: payment, but that's probably all.

I don't understand why you think that NOT having a passport is okay. It's not okay. Get yourself a passport. When you go to your immigration AOS, you need a valid passport.

I think you're still in denial and are still trying to hide. Your first priority should be a get a passport, whether there are student loan consequences or not!

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Timeline
I can't really see how you would get past a Biometrics Appointment with expired ID. They required me and everyone else that was with me to have a valid passport. Maybe there are extreme cases, but I just can't see how that would work for them... they were strict on IDs.

I don't think they will deny you a passport to be honest. They might be able to find you and call you re: payment, but that's probably all.

I don't understand why you think that NOT having a passport is okay. It's not okay. Get yourself a passport. When you go to your immigration AOS, you need a valid passport.

I think you're still in denial and are still trying to hide. Your first priority should be a get a passport, whether there are student loan consequences or not!

I'm not in denial and I'm absolutely not trying to hide. I'm just trying to figure out the best solution. Yes, I need a passport, but if it's going to bring on a bigger problem that I cannot address now, I'd rather try a impler solution.

It's not hiding, it's trying to not make a bad situation worse.

Adjustment of Status

2006 -------- Met Online

Timeline

I guess your first step is to apply for a passport.

I would personally wait to call tricura about your loans because there's no way you can even start to make payments until you have a job. If they start to call you after you have applied for the passport then they call you and you deal with that then I guess.

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline
I guess your first step is to apply for a passport.

I would personally wait to call tricura about your loans because there's no way you can even start to make payments until you have a job. If they start to call you after you have applied for the passport then they call you and you deal with that then I guess.

Very true. I might even be able to send them a small amount.

Adjustment of Status

2006 -------- Met Online

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm not in denial and I'm absolutely not trying to hide. I'm just trying to figure out the best solution. Yes, I need a passport, but if it's going to bring on a bigger problem that I cannot address now, I'd rather try a impler solution.

It's not hiding, it's trying to not make a bad situation worse.

Fair enough. I just think that not having a passport with hinder you in your immigration journey and cause more harm than not applying for a passport to avoid student loan people finding you.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.