Kittyfang

Can outstanding student loans keep me from getting Canadian Passport?

108 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
Did you just decide leave all responsibilities behind? This is a completely serious question... jokes aside. I don't understand how someone can just do that.

What if this marriage doesn't work out? What if you have to go back to Canada for something? How far behind are you on your payments? You do realize that defaulting on your student loans can screw your credit score and everything right?

No I didn't leave everything behind to marry my husband. I know that no sympathy will be shown if I say this, but it was a pretty big pain. We married on a whim, so, I had to deal with Canadian issue by phone. I had some friends pick up my stuff (I just told them they can have it if they pick it up), I paid off some loans over the phone, I was on vacation from my job, I just took an extended vacation, knowing that they would rehire me once I returned. And, before leaving, I was in the process of moving in with my sister.

All in all, I didn't have much, but yes, I didn't really deal with it too well. It sucks and I'm not asking for pity. I'm just trying to fix a situation that keeps eating at me.

Adjustment of Status

11/03/10 ------- AoS (I-130/I-485) Package mailed out (Priority Mail)

11/07/10 ------- AoS Package received and singed for

11/10/10 ------- NOA1 received for I-130, I-485 and I-765 (emails)

11/12/10 ------- NOA1 received for I-130, I-485 and I-765 (hard copies)

11/12/10 ------- Touches on I-130, I-485 and I-765

11/19/10 ------- Biometrics appointment letter received

12/06/10 ------- RFE for I-693 (I think the issue is that it was not signed. Called USCIS and will receive a letter in a few days explaining)

12/13/10 ------- Biometrics done

12/16/10 ------- EAD card in production (email)

12/20/10 ------- Received "Letter of Explanation" for RFE (Service Request to expedite my case. Called USCIS and was told to ignore that and just send in response to RFE.)

12/22/10 ------- Touch (Email for Post Decision Activity on EAD saying that a letter of approval has been mailed out)

12/24/10 ------- Received EAD in the mail

12/27/10 ------- Applied for SSN

12/31/10 ------- Received Interview letter

01/03/11 ------- Received SSN card in the mail

01/07/11 ------- Mailed out response to RFE (I-693)

01/15/11 ------- Email confirming USCIS received RFE response

01/31/11 ------- Approved!

Pre-Adjustment of Status:

2006 -------- Met Online

02/07 ------- Visited him in the U.S. for what was suppose to be a few weeks (Came in with birth certificate and health card. Health card expired a few months after)

08/07 ------- Decided to get married because we didn't want to be apart (in the U.S.)

10/10 ------- USCIS Medical Done

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I don't know... you can only miss so many payments, once it goes to collections it's out of the hands of the people who could have possibly helped you.

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline
I don't know... you can only miss so many payments, once it goes to collections it's out of the hands of the people who could have possibly helped you.

Ya, I'm aware of that. Catch 22. It sucks. Guess you guys must be happy now.

Adjustment of Status

12/06/10 ------- RFE for I-693 (I think the issue is that it was not signed. Called USCIS and will receive a letter in a few days explaining)

12/20/10 ------- Received "Letter of Explanation" for RFE (Service Request to expedite my case. Called USCIS and was told to ignore that and just send in response to RFE.)

12/22/10 ------- Touch (Email for Post Decision Activity on EAD saying that a letter of approval has been mailed out)

2006 -------- Met Online

02/07 ------- Visited him in the U.S. for what was suppose to be a few weeks (Came in with birth certificate and health card. Health card expired a few months after)

08/07 ------- Decided to get married because we didn't want to be apart (in the U.S.)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I think your best option is to just apply for a passport and see what happens. They might send you a letter saying that until you pay back whatever you owe you can get your passport. Or, they might give it to you and inform whoever is looking for you of your information and then you'll have to deal with that separately.

Your only way to find out is to apply and see what happens and take it from there.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

No not happy. I just don't understand.

My life and my personal finances and business had to be sorted before I decided to move down here. The border is not an escape hatch and you can't run from stuff like that. I understand you're in love, you didn't want to be apart. But you have made some insanely terrible decisions and now during a time where you should be worrying about just adjusting status, you're worrying about a whole ####### load of other things.

I couldn't do that, my hair would be falling out.

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline
No not happy. I just don't understand.

My life and my personal finances and business had to be sorted before I decided to move down here. The border is not an escape hatch and you can't run from stuff like that. I understand you're in love, you didn't want to be apart. But you have made some insanely terrible decisions and now during a time where you should be worrying about just adjusting status, you're worrying about a whole ####### load of other things.

I couldn't do that, my hair would be falling out.

No, that's the thing. I AM worrying about adjusting my status, but to do that, I need passport (or some kind of ID for biometrics). I AM freaking out. I know it was retarded the way we did it and I really wish I could go back and change some things, but I can't. I want to do things right, but nothing is working.

Adjustment of Status

2006 -------- Met Online

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Personally i think many of you have given her a hard time and should just drop it! MANY people come to the USA with no intention of staying and they do! One doesnt know the whole story, and one isn't expected to share their whole story on the internet! Who knows, maybe this person left an abusive relationship back In canada, etc etc, they shouldn't be expected to state that on a forum. So what if you (or we) did it by the books. You can sleep peaceful that n one is going to be knocking on ur door telling you to leave the USA. And you can safely go back to Canada while they can't! Not everyone knows the rules of immigration! And one truly can't feel the 'tone" of ones posts, some people take it the wrong way! Just seems to be a lot more bickering on the cdn forum lately, slowly taking the turn to be more like the other OT forum, which is sort of sad. I usually find it nicer to help others, than attack them, but thats just me!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

Man, Kittyfang... I feel bad reading this stuff. I mean that and it doesn't make me happy at all the world of trouble you have yourself in.

I found this site, you might want to have a look at it -- it may help you...

How to Deal with Canada Student Loan Debt

ANd just so you know, we're a feisty bunch here and you really have made some crazy-bad decisions but I doubt anyone here really wants to see you fail.

Just an FYI, I had student loan debt and other debt but I worked 3 jobs to pay them all off before leaving Canada (haven't even LEFT Canada yet, actually which sucks). I've been socking money away for a couple of years so I can be a viable asset when I get to the US. It's sh1tloads of work and I spend a lot of time wishing I were already with my husband but i'm glad I got it all sorted out before hand. It was a lot of work and a lot of heartache...

I really am sorry for your situations -- I am finding it harder to be disgusted with you as it really seems that you flew by the seat of your pants, something i'm sure we all wanted/could have done too, and you really ended up in some hot water...

Try that link I included here -- you might find out some good information.

No, that's the thing. I AM worrying about adjusting my status, but to do that, I need passport (or some kind of ID for biometrics). I AM freaking out. I know it was retarded the way we did it and I really wish I could go back and change some things, but I can't. I want to do things right, but nothing is working.

USCIS

NOA #2: Approval June 25th, 2009 - 92 days

NVC

July 8, 2009 to August 10, 2009 - 28 days

Interview Assigned - December 3, 2009 - FINALLY!!

Medical - December 14, 2009 - Passed

Embassy/Interview - January 26, 2010 Montreal, Quebec Canada - 167 days PASSED!!!

Port of Entry - February 26, 2010 Baltimore International, Maryland

USCIS -- ROC package sent off

November 26, 2011 to Vermont station November 30, 2011 received NOA1December 16, 2011 received biometrics appointment.

January 04, 2012 Biometrics

September 2, 2012, RFE Received.

September 22, 2012 RFE responded to

October 15, 2012 ROC approved, 10 Green card on its way.

kermit_the_frog1237963302.jpg

"Here's some simple advice: Always be yourself. Never take yourself too seriously.

And beware of advice from experts, pigs, and members of Parliament."

Kermit the Frog

Visit my News Feed Page -- Good Reads for Everyone!

With conflicting answers from contacting them directly, I'd just apply... me personally.

The worst that will happen is that they deny you and now know where you are. If you intend to fix matters, they'll know where you are anyhow.

If you're lucky, they'll approve you (and still know where you are... but again, they will anyhow).

01/08/2010 - Applied for SSN in maiden name.

01/09/2010 - Married! Officially a Missis.

01/19/2010 - Received SSN in mail.

02/10/2010 - Sent I-485/I-131/I-765 to Chicago.

02/19/2010 - NOA dates for all applications.

02/22/2010 - Received NOAs in mail.

02/23/2010 - Applied for SSN for married name.

03/04/2010 - Applied for Florida DL in married name.

03/09/2010 - Biometrics appointment.

04/18/2010 - AP received.

04/23/2010 - EAD approved.

04/27/2010 - AOS Interview at Orlando USCIS (decision pending).

04/28/2010 - Card production ordered!

05/03/2010 - EAD received.

05/03/2010 - Welcome letter received.

05/28/2010 - Green Card received in mail.

01/26/2012 - Mailed RoC packet to VSC.

01/30/2012 - NOA date on application.

02/01/2012 - Cheque cashed.

02/05/2012 - Received NOA in mail.

02/10/2012 - Touch.

02/24/2012 - ASC Appointment Notice dated.

02/27/2012 - ASC Appointment Notice received.

03/23/2012 - Biometrics appointment.

09/20/2012 - Touch. Card Production ordered!

09/21/2012 - Touch.

09/24/2012 - Touch. Card mailed.

Timeline
Man, Kittyfang... I feel bad reading this stuff. I mean that and it doesn't make me happy at all the world of trouble you have yourself in.

I found this site, you might want to have a look at it -- it may help you...

How to Deal with Canada Student Loan Debt

ANd just so you know, we're a feisty bunch here and you really have made some crazy-bad decisions but I doubt anyone here really wants to see you fail.

Just an FYI, I had student loan debt and other debt but I worked 3 jobs to pay them all off before leaving Canada (haven't even LEFT Canada yet, actually which sucks). I've been socking money away for a couple of years so I can be a viable asset when I get to the US. It's sh1tloads of work and I spend a lot of time wishing I were already with my husband but i'm glad I got it all sorted out before hand. It was a lot of work and a lot of heartache...

I really am sorry for your situations -- I am finding it harder to be disgusted with you as it really seems that you flew by the seat of your pants, something i'm sure we all wanted/could have done too, and you really ended up in some hot water...

Try that link I included here -- you might find out some good information.

Thank you for the link. I am looking it up. I didn't think I had so many loose ends in Canada and it's making me panic to see them. All I am trying to do if fix to situation so I CAN fix the rest. As for the actual ID issue, I've asked in another post. We'll see what people say. I just don't see the end of the tunnel and it's starting feel suffocating.

Edited by Kittyfang

Adjustment of Status

2006 -------- Met Online

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

OKay, well take a deep breath and take things one step at a time.

First, get your passport. Before you even think about the immigration process, get yourself a passport and that will act as your valid ID. Or, if you need to take a step back and get ID for the passport, figure that out first. There may be some hiccups along the way, and just deal with those as they come.

Once you get your passport, move on to getting yourself in-status in the United States. Ensure your husband has a passport/birth certificate as well for this step.

Once you get all that sorted out, then you should start the AOS.

You've made some mistakes and the only way to fix them is going to be to stop freaking out and get started on fixing them.

Good luck. And, I seriously mean that. I'm not here to judge you. People make mistakes and that's okay. Now, you are in control of your own destiny, so if you want to gain respect from others you need to do everything in your power to fix things. You have the resources and information to fix this, so there is no excuse to hold off on things anymore.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Timeline

Agree with Sapphire here...

Apply for your passport and then once you know w hat's up with that, move ahead with the rest. Personally? i can't see you NOT getting a passport, but do keep us posted, okay? It'll be interesting to see how the government works these things out...

Also yeah, get your husband's stuff in order. He'll need all of his paper work too. I'm not sure how this works but does he have to prove the income thing like we had to do in our Affidavit of Support papers?

Just a few more things to toss out there...

First, get your passport. Before you even think about the immigration process, get yourself a passport and that will act as your valid ID. Or, if you need to take a step back and get ID for the passport, figure that out first. There may be some hiccups along the way, and just deal with those as they come.

Once you get your passport, move on to getting yourself in-status in the United States. Ensure your husband has a passport/birth certificate as well for this step.

You've made some mistakes and the only way to fix them is going to be to stop freaking out and get started on fixing them.

Good luck. And, I seriously mean that. I'm not here to judge you. People make mistakes and that's okay. Now, you are in control of your own destiny, so if you want to gain respect from others you need to do everything in your power to fix things. You have the resources and information to fix this, so there is no excuse to hold off on things anymore.

USCIS

NOA #2: Approval June 25th, 2009 - 92 days

NVC

July 8, 2009 to August 10, 2009 - 28 days

Interview Assigned - December 3, 2009 - FINALLY!!

Medical - December 14, 2009 - Passed

Embassy/Interview - January 26, 2010 Montreal, Quebec Canada - 167 days PASSED!!!

Port of Entry - February 26, 2010 Baltimore International, Maryland

USCIS -- ROC package sent off

November 26, 2011 to Vermont station November 30, 2011 received NOA1December 16, 2011 received biometrics appointment.

January 04, 2012 Biometrics

September 2, 2012, RFE Received.

September 22, 2012 RFE responded to

October 15, 2012 ROC approved, 10 Green card on its way.

kermit_the_frog1237963302.jpg

"Here's some simple advice: Always be yourself. Never take yourself too seriously.

And beware of advice from experts, pigs, and members of Parliament."

Kermit the Frog

Visit my News Feed Page -- Good Reads for Everyone!

Timeline
Agree with Sapphire here...

Apply for your passport and then once you know w hat's up with that, move ahead with the rest. Personally? i can't see you NOT getting a passport, but do keep us posted, okay? It'll be interesting to see how the government works these things out...

Also yeah, get your husband's stuff in order. He'll need all of his paper work too. I'm not sure how this works but does he have to prove the income thing like we had to do in our Affidavit of Support papers?

Just a few more things to toss out there...

My husband is in order. He just needs to get a passport and birth certificate.

I think the worst case scenario would be to be denied a passport and have collectors calling.

Adjustment of Status

2006 -------- Met Online

:thumbs::thumbs: EXCELLENT ADVICE :thumbs::thumbs: Good luck Kittyfang

Wisconsin Hunter & A Canadian Beaver

event.png

Timeline

When I got my first passport I had an outstanding student loan and was in bankruptcy. (another story of poor choices growing up) I didn't have any issues. This was however back in 2007. When I renewed this year I still had my student loan making payments (however minimal) and I got it renewed without an issue. They are however keeping my income taxes and GST cheques which is fine by me, anything to help pay it off.

I don't think you'll have much of an issue. Worse case scenario you can update your status with them and tell them how much you can afford to pay them. They seem to be happy with that. My minimum was suppose to be $377 but I can't do anything over $75.

Helen Keller: “A happy life consists not in the absence, but in the mastery of hardships.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.