LDora

Can I have my Canadian taxes done somewhere in Florida?

8 posts in this topic

So apparently I'm a big idiot and when I moved in 2007, I forgot to do my taxes that year. I've never owed any money before, and I earned even less that year because I left about halfway through the year. Likewise, any returns I got were always very small. (Bakers don't make much.) The woman I spoke to from the CRA who called was very friendly and said I had to have it filed by November 12. She didn't make it sound like I was in any trouble at all.

My question is this. If I take my forms to somewhere like H+R Block here in the states, would they be able to prepare them for me? Barring that, could I have them done by a tax professional back in Canada (outfit similar to H+R Block) even though I don't live there anymore? Like, could I express them the documents and have them file it?

I'm just really lost here as I've never done my taxes myself before and I don't want a mistake to end up costing me. Help?

"Your mom is in my head right now, and she's saying don't do that."

"For Sale. One Parachute . Used only once, never been opened. Small stain."

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

There are probably tax people in Florida who can do a Canadian return (since there are so many Canadians there) and absolutely you can probably have a Canadian firm do it.

My question would be - how complicated is your return? Do you owe any taxes for that year? If not, you are probably not required to file, however you may want to in case you get some of your tax paid back (have to weigh that against the money you will have to pay for someone to prepare it of course).

Edited by trailmix

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

If all you have are a couple of T4 slips, they are really easy to yourself online.

I use www.cutetax.com - It's like $10 and it's basically just filling out the T4 slip information and any tuition information etc. Then it calculates everything for you.

If my taxes aren't complicated this year, I'll use the same program again. It's SO easy.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
cutetax... does that come complete with pink back ground and anime emoticons??

sorry the name just reminded me of such things.

I wish! It's pretty basic and I'm pretty sure some dude developed in in his basement or something. I got it off the Canada Revenue list of approved online vendors, so I know it's legit! I will admit, I selected it off the list because I liked the name :)

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

H& R also has online tax filing using their website for america and canada too, its kind of like using turbo tax but you can do it all and still get the benefit of H&R blocks back up incase something flubs up. The forms all have explinations and its basically fill in the blanks and pretty easy.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

After working at an accounting firm for the past two years and fixing many of H&R Block's mistakes, I would avoid them.

You might be lucky to find a CPA who can file Canadian taxes, but your best bet would be to find a small accounting firm in Canada and have them file the return for you. My firm did tons of NR (non-resident) returns every year - the clients would just fedex/ups the documents to us.

Montreal: BEAT!!! Approved!!!!!

event.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
There are probably tax people in Florida who can do a Canadian return (since there are so many Canadians there) and absolutely you can probably have a Canadian firm do it.

This is what I was thinking. With so many snow-birds there seasonally in the winter time, I wouldn't be surprised if there were a lot of retired Tax professionals that wouldn't mind making a few dollars doing it on the side. They'd most definatly charge a lot less the then H&R block type places. Hell some might even do it for free for something to do.

Not sure how to contact people, but try searching on the net for something along those lines. You might luck out...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.