Sign in to follow this  
ealachan

AOS paperwork or SSN...which do we do first?

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi All -

So, now that we're married, we need to file Mark's AOS paperwork. I've had a look at the guides and the AOS process itself seems pretty straight-forward. My only real question is, should we bother to apply for a SSN for Mark now (we can't file the AOS for another month, probably) or is there no real point in doing it until the AOS has been filed? My concern is that, for the AOS, we need continued proof of ongoing relationship, ie: a joint bank account. I can't put Mark on my bank account without a SSN, can I? I know I certainly can't add his name to any of my utility bills without one...so is filing for the SSN now the right thing to do?

Thanks

Shelby

Our Timeline

11/2001 - met online

6/2006 - first face-to-face meeting (he's been over 7 times total since then).

1/26/09 - filed I-129F with VSC

1/27/09 - package rec'd, NOA1 sent

1/30/09 - NOA1 hardcopy rec'd

1/31/09 - touched

4/29/09 - NOA2 email rec'd from CRIS! YIPPEE!!

5/12/09 - Mark rec'd Packet 3

5/29/09 - returned packet 3

7/12/09 - resubmitted packet 3 after being told for weeks that it was never rec'd

8/19/09 - interview scheduled for 9/11/09! Medical moved to 9/10/09.

9/10/09 - medical - passed

9/11/09 - interview - approved pending embassy receipt of medical results!!!!!!! Hard to believe it's finally done!!

10/2/09 - POE: Logan Airport in Boston, MA. Absolutely no problems, aside from the customs official not knowing what to do with the visa and having to find someone to help.

10/10/09 - Married!! :D :D :D

12/2/09 - SSN applied for in Montpelier, VT

12/7/09 - SSN received in the mail - that was fast!

1/9/2010 - AOS & EAD package sent

1/15/2010 - NOA's received for both AOS and EAD applications

1/22/2010 - biometrics appointment letter rec'd - appt is for 2/2 in St. Albans, VT.

Igor's List

4/29/09 - APPROVED!

4/28/09 - #208

4/24/09 - #218

4/17/09 - #235

4/10/09 - #250

4/7/09 - #271

3/1/09 - #371

2/2/09 - #455

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

As long as it's been at least 2 weeks since entry into the U.S., you can apply for the SSN card any time.

I applied for mine 2 days after our wedding so that I wouldn't have to do a name change, otherwise I would have applied sooner than that.

"THE SHORT STORY"

KURT & RAYMA (K-1 Visa)

Oct. 9/03... I-129F sent to NSC

June 10/04... K-1 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

July 31/04... Entered U.S.

Aug. 28/04... WEDDING DAY!!!!

Aug. 30/04... I-485, I-765 & I-131 sent to Seattle

Dec. 10/04... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport stamped)

Sept. 9/06... I-751 sent to NSC

May 15/07... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Sept. 13/07... N-400 sent to NSC

Aug. 21/08... Interview - PASSED!!!!

Sept. 2/08... Oath Ceremony

Sept. 5/08... Sent in Voter Registration Card

Sept. 9/08... SSA office to change status to "U.S. citizen"

Oct. 8/08... Applied in person for U.S. Passport

Oct. 22/08... U.S. Passport received

DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!!

KAELY (K-2 Visa)

Apr. 6/05... DS-230, Part I faxed to Vancouver Consulate

May 26/05... K-2 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

Sept. 5/05... Entered U.S.

Sept. 7/05... I-485 & I-131 sent to CLB

Feb. 22/06... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport NOT stamped)

Dec. 4/07... I-751 sent to NSC

May 23/08... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Mar. 22/11.... N-400 sent to AZ

June 27/11..... Interview - PASSED!!!

July 12/11..... Oath Ceremony

We're NOT lawyers.... just your average folks who had to find their own way!!!!! Anything we post here is simply our own opinions/suggestions/experiences and should not be taken as LAW!!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
As long as it's been at least 2 weeks since entry into the U.S., you can apply for the SSN card any time.

I applied for mine 2 days after our wedding so that I wouldn't have to do a name change, otherwise I would have applied sooner than that.

Perfect. We'll get that in the works while we scrape up enough money to file the AOS stuff. How long did it take for your SSN to come through?

Our Timeline

11/2001 - met online

6/2006 - first face-to-face meeting (he's been over 7 times total since then).

1/26/09 - filed I-129F with VSC

1/27/09 - package rec'd, NOA1 sent

1/30/09 - NOA1 hardcopy rec'd

1/31/09 - touched

4/29/09 - NOA2 email rec'd from CRIS! YIPPEE!!

5/12/09 - Mark rec'd Packet 3

5/29/09 - returned packet 3

7/12/09 - resubmitted packet 3 after being told for weeks that it was never rec'd

8/19/09 - interview scheduled for 9/11/09! Medical moved to 9/10/09.

9/10/09 - medical - passed

9/11/09 - interview - approved pending embassy receipt of medical results!!!!!!! Hard to believe it's finally done!!

10/2/09 - POE: Logan Airport in Boston, MA. Absolutely no problems, aside from the customs official not knowing what to do with the visa and having to find someone to help.

10/10/09 - Married!! :D :D :D

12/2/09 - SSN applied for in Montpelier, VT

12/7/09 - SSN received in the mail - that was fast!

1/9/2010 - AOS & EAD package sent

1/15/2010 - NOA's received for both AOS and EAD applications

1/22/2010 - biometrics appointment letter rec'd - appt is for 2/2 in St. Albans, VT.

Igor's List

4/29/09 - APPROVED!

4/28/09 - #208

4/24/09 - #218

4/17/09 - #235

4/10/09 - #250

4/7/09 - #271

3/1/09 - #371

2/2/09 - #455

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Usually 2 weeks for issue of SSN.

No proof of ongoing relationship is required for AOS. I guess you could consider the Marriage Certificate proof. But that is it.

The burden of proof is required for Removal of Conditions.

You dont need to worry about getting him added to your bank accounts or lease/mortgage until after AOS. Those are typical documents/eveidence for Removal of Conditions.

Filed Removal of Conditions: 11/05/10

Rec'd NOA1: 11/08/10

Biometrics: 12/22/10

10 YR Greencard: 03/03/11 APPROVED

10 YR Greencard Rec'd: 03/08/11 RECEIVED

Filed: Timeline

No proof of ongoing relationship is required for AOS. I guess you could consider the Marriage Certificate proof. But that is it.

You dont need to worry about getting him added to your bank accounts or lease/mortgage until after AOS. Those are typical documents/eveidence for Removal of Conditions.

Wait, I thought you were supposed to have proof of marriage with you during your AOS interview. As in, having you and your husband/wife on a joint bank account, copies of an apartment lease (if you live in an apartment), utilities/bills with both your names on them, and lots and lots of photos.

I thought this was needed and I thought proof of your existing marriage, etc. is needed.

Filed: Timeline

Wait, I thought you were supposed to have proof of marriage with you during your AOS interview. As in, having you and your husband/wife on a joint bank account, copies of an apartment lease (if you live in an apartment), utilities/bills with both your names on them, and lots and lots of photos.

I thought this was needed and I thought proof of your existing marriage, etc. is needed.

Or am I getting the terminology confused. I thought A.O.S. includes the A.O.S. interview as well, because all the documents I listed above are ones I thought were needed at the interview.

Or maybe that's what you meant, haha. I'm so confused! And it sucks (but GREAT at the same time) that my wife and I have our A.O.s. interview on November 2nd and we've been stressed out with all the documents, etc. we have to bring.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Hi All -

So, now that we're married, we need to file Mark's AOS paperwork. I've had a look at the guides and the AOS process itself seems pretty straight-forward. My only real question is, should we bother to apply for a SSN for Mark now (we can't file the AOS for another month, probably) or is there no real point in doing it until the AOS has been filed? My concern is that, for the AOS, we need continued proof of ongoing relationship, ie: a joint bank account. I can't put Mark on my bank account without a SSN, can I? I know I certainly can't add his name to any of my utility bills without one...so is filing for the SSN now the right thing to do?

Thanks

Shelby

I recommend K-1s to get the SSN before they un-pack their suitcase. My wife got hers 16 hours after arriving.

If his is I-94 is within 14 days of expriing...it is too late. Print the SS adminstration infor on K-1s which is available at this site. Take it with you. The SS Adminstration is rife with untrained clerks that make up laws from their "bench" at the sliding window and routinely deny SSNs to K-1s that are entitled to them. DO NOT Leave the SS office until your application has been satisfactorily processed. Speak to as many levels of supervisors as necessary.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

POE date OCT 2nd ?

SSA will barely know of him.

The hurdle that I see is the syncing of data, between CBP, DOS, SSA.

Takes some time, after POE date. A SSN is not required to FILE AOS, but , as you're finding out, is required to get yer feet wet in the USA (making proof of bonafide relationship ).

I've been telling folk to wait for about 3 weeks from POE date, as it takes some time for the fed computer systems to sync up.

If you want to be sure, just walk into an SSA office, and apply. If the clerk can't find you in the system, then the fed computer systems haven't sync up, yet. Come back on week 4 after POE date, and try again.

Some ppl will apply anyway, without the data being viewable at SSA, and find big delays with getting the SSN issued. I hate this calendar game, but it is what it is... If there's no record of the immigrant in the SSA computer, try again later.

Good Luck !

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Hey - any update?

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

I wish we had applied for Nik's SSN sooner - they need it for me to put him on the insurance at work! Now held up for who knows how many weeks!!

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.