american_wife38

wanna go home!!!

10 posts in this topic

Timeline

OK...ihope i am posting in the right forum. Heres the issue...My husband is Canadian, and and back in 2003 he imigrated here to be with me,his wife. we were married in 2002. Well we now have recently became grandparents(his daughter).......and really want to go home. Since we have been married for several years, how hard will it be for me to go back with him?.Please we are really hoping for good news.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Pretty easy.

Basically you have two options. You can apply to become a Canadian PR from the U.S. and wait out the application procedure there, or you can move to Canada and do an inland application (will take time to get work authorization, if you want to work right away you should consider applying from the U.S.)

It's forms, it's fees and a bit of waiting - that's about it.

Citizenship and Immigration Canada has a really good website:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/index.asp

Edited by trailmix

Timeline

I'd highly recommend the outland application route. It is faster than inland. Also if you are in Canada you can apply outland. You just send your paperwork to Buffalo instead of Vergeville. Inland apps are taking 12-18 months. Outland apps are taking 6 months. BIG difference.

Also, when crossing claim your intent and show your marriage certificate to border patrol, they often issue one year visitor visa's.

Just a note, when you file (and we found this out at the end), send in your request for a work visa! You don't have to wait for the initial approval to wait for a work visa.

My husband just got his PR card issued this Friday! YEA!! I think I know more about Canadian Immigration than I ever want to know. >< There website is VERY comprehensive and you can actually call people to ask questions! =D

Edited by Avery

Helen Keller: “A happy life consists not in the absence, but in the mastery of hardships.”

Timeline
I'd highly recommend the outland application route. It is faster than inland. Also if you are in Canada you can apply outland. You just send your paperwork to Buffalo instead of Vergeville. Inland apps are taking 12-18 months. Outland apps are taking 6 months. BIG difference.

Also, when crossing claim your intent and show your marriage certificate to border patrol, they often issue one year visitor visa's.

Just a note, when you file (and we found this out at the end), send in your request for a work visa! You don't have to wait for the initial approval to wait for a work visa.

My husband just got his PR card issued this Friday! YEA!! I think I know more about Canadian Immigration than I ever want to know. >< There website is VERY comprehensive and you can actually call people to ask questions! =D

You do have to wait for first stage of approval in order for the work visa to be issued (unless things have changed in the past two years). You most certainly can send in the work visa application with your initial (as I did), but it won't be processed until first stage.

Montreal: BEAT!!! Approved!!!!!

event.png

Timeline

Well I was just going off what the immigration told my husband and myself on Friday. She said it would have cut down on a lot of time waiting regarding him working. She was shocked to hear it took 18 months for inland.

Helen Keller: “A happy life consists not in the absence, but in the mastery of hardships.”

Timeline
Well I was just going off what the immigration told my husband and myself on Friday. She said it would have cut down on a lot of time waiting regarding him working. She was shocked to hear it took 18 months for inland.

It took 14 months for my inland application.

Montreal: BEAT!!! Approved!!!!!

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Road To Canada has a community much like VisaJourney only for Canadian immigration. You might want to take a look there. :)

I-129F / K-1 / AOS:

2009-02-21: Sent I-129F package to VSC

2009-11-09: Interview in Montreal - VISA GRANTED!

2009-11-21: POE - Moved to be with my fiancee :)

2010-01-23: Married!

2010-02-19: Sent I-485 (AOS), I-765 (EAD), I-131 (AP) package to Chicago Lockbox

2010-03-01: NOA1

2010-03-16: Transferred to CSC!

2010-03-24: Biometrics in Buffalo

2010-04-21: AOS APPROVED!

2010-04-27: Received I-797 Approval / Welcome to America letter for AOS

2010-04-30: Received Green Card

ROC:

2012-03-12: Sent I-751 package to VSC

2012-03-13: I-751 package arrived at VSC (Hi D. Renaud!)

2012-03-14: NOA1

2012-03-15: I-751 check cashed

2012-03-19: Received NOA1

2012-03-27: Received biometrics appt. notice for 2012-04-19 in Buffalo

2012-04-09: Successful early walk-in biometrics at Cleveland ASC

2012-12-04: I-751 APPROVED / 10 YR GC PRODUCTION ORDERED!

Naturalization:

2015-11-30: Here we go again: Filling out the N-400

2015-12-21: Sent N-400 to Phoenix AZ Lockbox

2015-12-23: NOA Date

2016-01-20: Biometrics in Cleveland

2016-01-25: In-line for interview

2016-01-25: Interview scheduled!

2016-01-29: Received interview letter! Scheduled for...

2016-02-29: Interview in Cleveland - APPROVED!

2016-03-18: Naturalization ceremony in Cleveland! I am a US Citizen!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
OK...ihope i am posting in the right forum. Heres the issue...My husband is Canadian, and and back in 2003 he imigrated here to be with me,his wife. we were married in 2002. Well we now have recently became grandparents(his daughter).......and really want to go home. Since we have been married for several years, how hard will it be for me to go back with him?.Please we are really hoping for good news.

Just remember in doing so unless your husband is a US citizen, that moving to Canada he is putting his Green Card on the line for abandonment. There are rules about residing in the US for Green Card holders. So not sure on the status he is on, but if he's a citizen this won't apply. If on a Green Card, then that's a whole different issue. Just thought I'd bring that up in case you ever thought about comming back to the US...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Filed: Country: China
Timeline
OK...ihope i am posting in the right forum. Heres the issue...My husband is Canadian, and and back in 2003 he imigrated here to be with me,his wife. we were married in 2002. Well we now have recently became grandparents(his daughter).......and really want to go home.

You are already home. I think you mean you want to go to Canada.

moving right along

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Agreed... While you're applying for your PR to Canada, your husband should apply for US Citizenship if he wishes to. If not, he will be abandoning his PR status when you decide to reside in Canada.

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.