one...two...tree

Without Drastic CO2 Cuts Immediately, the World Faces a Massive 'Oh Sh!t' Moment

36 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
This is exactly how liberals seek to control every aspect of your life... as they claim "it's for your own good".

A bit blinded again? Seat belt, helmet and child safety seat laws, as well as restricting speed on roadways - another one of these dictatorship items - are not a liberal / conservative issue. If they were, then I'd say the conservatives have been beat some time ago. There aren't many, if any, states around where you don't have laws that dictate whether you are to wear a helmet on a motorbike, whether you have to wear a seat belt, what speed it is lawful to travel, etc.

Personally, I am no fan of these laws. I believe that these laws go against the natural selection of the fittest. When I see one of them morons here in FL riding his motorbikes wearing shorts and no helmet I take comfort in knowing the we're just one accident away of having one less moron around. No point in intervening in this natural selection process.

What Danno fails to understand is the concept of reasonability when it comes to public safety. Notice that he's not complaining about a 25 MPH speed limit in residential areas, 10 MPH in school zones during class times, or restricting licensing of liquor stores or adult shops from being within a certain distance from schools. Those "liberal" types of laws he doesn't notice or doesn't see as being related to seat belt or helmet laws. I'll look for the day when "liberal minded" Danno advocates that we lower the drinking age to 16 and legalize pot.

Are you two "trying to act stupid" or is it just a natural reflex?

Laws governing my actions... when those actions would likely cause harm to others are not what we are talking about. (Speeding, liability insurance).

I believe people should be able to decide if a helment is prudent or not... and the result of my actions effect no one but me (not even society as a by product ).

The State does bear some burden to protect children.

Do you really see Speed limits and forcing people to eat their veggies.... as the roll of Government?

The OP was addressing Climate Change and possible legislative steps to reduce carbon emissions. So your 'do no harm' to others applies here....that is if you believe the consensus among climate scientists around the world. You're willing to gamble the future of our planet that your ignorance about science is more reliable than the expertise of scientists. Assuming that they are right - and that's a pretty safe assumption, laws which target the reduction of carbon emissions ARE addressing the concept of "do no harm," regardless of whether you want to admit that or not.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
This is exactly how liberals seek to control every aspect of your life... as they claim "it's for your own good".

A bit blinded again? Seat belt, helmet and child safety seat laws, as well as restricting speed on roadways - another one of these dictatorship items - are not a liberal / conservative issue. If they were, then I'd say the conservatives have been beat some time ago. There aren't many, if any, states around where you don't have laws that dictate whether you are to wear a helmet on a motorbike, whether you have to wear a seat belt, what speed it is lawful to travel, etc.

Personally, I am no fan of these laws. I believe that these laws go against the natural selection of the fittest. When I see one of them morons here in FL riding his motorbikes wearing shorts and no helmet I take comfort in knowing the we're just one accident away of having one less moron around. No point in intervening in this natural selection process.

What Danno fails to understand is the concept of reasonability when it comes to public safety. Notice that he's not complaining about a 25 MPH speed limit in residential areas, 10 MPH in school zones during class times, or restricting licensing of liquor stores or adult shops from being within a certain distance from schools. Those "liberal" types of laws he doesn't notice or doesn't see as being related to seat belt or helmet laws. I'll look for the day when "liberal minded" Danno advocates that we lower the drinking age to 16 and legalize pot.

Laws governing my actions... when those actions would likely cause harm to others are not what we are talking about. (Speeding, liability insurance).

I believe people should be able to decide if a helment is prudent or not... and the result of my actions effect no one but me (not even society as a by product ).

Do you really see Speed limits and forcing people to eat their veggies.... as the roll of Government?

How do you feel about having to strap yourself into your car?

ETA: If you decide that it's not prudent to wear a helmet when riding a motorbike, then you're clearly not capable of making that decision. ;)

You and I might think it's a great idea to put on a seat belt.... but why do we have the right to force others to do it if the end result does not effect us..... part of being "free" is being able to make.... even stupid decisions if you alone bare the cost of them.

On the other hand... driving a car with an unsafe load attached might both be stupid... and cause injury to others and should be regulated.

Many people do operate motorcycles without helments, seems very stupid to me but so does a homeowners using power tools but we cannot and should not allow the State to play Mommy as it has shown it does not know when to stop.

type2homophobia_zpsf8eddc83.jpg

"Those people who will not be governed by God

will be ruled by tyrants."

William Penn

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
The OP was addressing Climate Change and possible legislative steps to reduce carbon emissions. So your 'do no harm' to others applies here....that is if you believe the consensus among climate scientists around the world. You're willing to gamble the future of our planet that your ignorance about science is more reliable than the expertise of scientists. Assuming that they are right - and that's a pretty safe assumption, laws which target the reduction of carbon emissions ARE addressing the concept of "do no harm," regardless of whether you want to admit that or not.

Well if we are returning to the main subject of debate, I would agree (in principle) that unreasonable amounts of pollution is NOT a right of freedom.

The problem is Steven, again you played the patronizing-card whereby you pat everyone on the head and

as you claim "you and your experts" are right and we who disagree are stupid and bess, leave these serious topics for you to decide.

:rofl:

When it's all said and done... Global temps have GONE COLDER not warmer for over a decade now...

While at the same time Global consumption of fossil fuel has increased dramatically.

So put that in your scientific pipe and smoke it.

Q: by the way Steven, on a more personal note, since you are so concerned... and worried about this "oh-sh_t" moment, have you downsized your home and life?

Whats the square footage of your home?

Did you run your A/C this last summer?

What do you keep your heat set on in the winter?

Do you still own a gas burning car?

How do you dry your laundry?

I'll bet you anything, my "carbon footprint" (have you ever heard such a B.S. term?)

is smaller than yours.

*Light bulb changes are just not enough my friend.

type2homophobia_zpsf8eddc83.jpg

"Those people who will not be governed by God

will be ruled by tyrants."

William Penn

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

How do you feel about having to strap yourself into your car?

ETA: If you decide that it's not prudent to wear a helmet when riding a motorbike, then you're clearly not capable of making that decision. ;)

You and I might think it's a great idea to put on a seat belt.... but why do we have the right to force others to do it if the end result does not effect us..... part of being "free" is being able to make.... even stupid decisions if you alone bare the cost of them.

On the other hand... driving a car with an unsafe load attached might both be stupid... and cause injury to others and should be regulated.

Many people do operate motorcycles without helments, seems very stupid to me but so does a homeowners using power tools but we cannot and should not allow the State to play Mommy as it has shown it does not know when to stop.

I certainly see your logic there and how it isn't a slippery slope.

:rofl:

Wishing you ten-fold that which you wish upon all others.