grinchus

Visa approved! Now, re travel to U.S.: one way or RT ticket?

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline

Hi everyone,

I posted this less than an hour ago in the "US Consulate/Embassy" section but I realize that it's more appropriate to this forum. Dear administrators - please don't be mad at me for posting the same topic in multiple threads. I am simply moving myself here b/c I need a response quickly. My travel agent is standing ready to book the tix and I don't want to lose them!

Here's my original post as of an +/- an hour ago:

My fiance's visa was approved at the Naples consulate this past Wednesday!!

Now I have a question and I'm not sure where to post it. We are in the process of booking my flight to visit him for Xmas and then our flight together to the U.S. Here's the rub:

Our flight to the U.S. will be my return flight, but for him it's his flight TO the U.S. One way flights cost twice as much as round trip, so the economically most advantageous option is to book a round trip ticket and then not use the return portion of it. So essentially that makes it a "fake" return for the purposes of getting the cheaper rate. I would hate to spend the money on a one-way only flight if it's unnecessary, but will booking a RT ticket cause him problems when he gets to the US with his K-1 visa?

I have to book this flight soon, so your responses will be very helpful!!

Book which ever is the cheapest/most-convenient for you - either R/Trip or One-way. Doesn't matter. No one will care either way - not the airline or the US government.

Have a safe trip... :thumbs:

Filed: Country: Afghanistan
Timeline
Hi everyone,

I posted this less than an hour ago in the "US Consulate/Embassy" section but I realize that it's more appropriate to this forum. Dear administrators - please don't be mad at me for posting the same topic in multiple threads. I am simply moving myself here b/c I need a response quickly. My travel agent is standing ready to book the tix and I don't want to lose them!

Now I have a question and I'm not sure where to post it. We are in the process of booking my flight to visit him for Xmas and then our flight together to the U.S. Here's the rub:

Our flight to the U.S. will be my return flight, but for him it's his flight TO the U.S. One way flights cost twice as much as round trip, so the economically most advantageous option is to book a round trip ticket and then not use the return portion of it. So essentially that makes it a "fake" return for the purposes of getting the cheaper rate. I would hate to spend the money on a one-way only flight if it's unnecessary, but will booking a RT ticket cause him problems when he gets to the US with his K-1 visa?

RT is fine. I don't think anyone will even ask (given that he will have a type of visa that does not require him to leave the country), but if someone does, just explain the economical reasoning behind buying a RT ticket versus a one way.

Edited by InterFC1

Timeline
Book which ever is the cheapest/most-convenient for you - either R/Trip or One-way. Doesn't matter. No one will care either way - not the airline or the US government.

Have a safe trip... :thumbs:

Thank you!! BTW the thanks are both for the wishes for a safe trip and for the good news about them not caring!! I'm always happy to save a couple thousand bucks that can be better spent on our new life together!

Timeline
RT is fine. I don't think anyone will even ask (given that he will have a type of visa that does not require him to leave the country), but if someone does, just explain the economical reasoning behind buying a RT ticket versus a one way.

Phew, thanks!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline

I booked a RT ticket... But maybe you don't want to tell them that your not using the return ticket of it. I've said this with the first flight company when I tried to buy a ticket and they refused me and said I had to buy a one way. So I went to another company and did not tell them and it is booked.

With the RT ticket it's 500 euro. With a one way it wouldve been 2000 euro.... It's stupid but oh well...

Love is patient and kind;

it is not jealous or conceited or proud;

love is not ill-mannered or selfish or irritable;

love does not keep a record of wrongs;

love is not happy with evil, but is happy with the truth.

Love never gives up; and its faith, hope, and patience never fail.

Love is eternal.

inloveforeveryouandmet.jpg

TimeLine:

02-29-08: Met Online

04-26-08: Told eachother how we felt

10-24-08: Went to America

12-01-09: Engaged

01-17-09: Bought the ring

01-21-09: Back to Holland =[

03-10-09: Petition send

03-16-09: NOA1

08-11-09: NOA2!!!! Finally!!!!

08-20-09: Package 3

09-10-09: Package 3 send to Consulate

09-17-09: Package 4

10-01-09: Medical + Xray

10-13-09: Interview!!!!!! Approved!!!!!!

10-15-09: Visa Arrived!!!!

11-20-09: US Entry

01-30-10: Marriage

02-13-10: Honeymoon to South Carolina

Timeline
I booked a RT ticket... But maybe you don't want to tell them that your not using the return ticket of it. I've said this with the first flight company when I tried to buy a ticket and they refused me and said I had to buy a one way. So I went to another company and did not tell them and it is booked.

With the RT ticket it's 500 euro. With a one way it wouldve been 2000 euro.... It's stupid but oh well...

Thanks! Yeah, we're not going to say anything. I went through a travel agent anyway, so the airline has no idea we're not using the return portion. And when we check in, it's none of the airline's business that my fiance' is coming over on a K-1 visa. For all they know and care he's going on vacation. It's the US government's business that he has the visa, so he only needs to get the envelope out when we reach the border in NY.

I really appreciate all of your responses to my post.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

Auguri! Book the RT, my husband does it ALL the time, pretty much every time we go to Italy (2x a year) for the past 9 years. Since his company paid to get him back or forward to the US after each vacation, we only had to buy one leg (either to the US or from the US)... They dont care!!! As long as you use the outbound (1st leg) you are fine!!! Search for the cheapest RT and dont worry about the rest of it!!!

Auguri! Book the RT, my husband does it ALL the time, pretty much every time we go to Italy (2x a year) for the past 9 years. Since his company paid to get him back or forward to the US after each vacation, we only had to buy one leg (either to the US or from the US)... They dont care!!! As long as you use the outbound (1st leg) you are fine!!! Search for the cheapest RT and dont worry about the rest of it!!!

Hey BTW... How was the interview at the Naples Consulate??

10/14/2000 - Met Aboard a Cruise ship

06/14/2003 - Married Savona Italy

I-130

03/21/2009 - I-130 Mailed to Chicago lockbox

11-30-09: GOT GREEN CARD in mail!!!!!!

Citizenship Process;

1/11/2013: Mailed N400 to Dallas Texas

3/11/2013: interview.. Approved

4/4/2013. : Oath! Now a U.S. citizen!

Timeline
Auguri! Book the RT ...They dont care!!! As long as you use the outbound (1st leg) you are fine!!! Search for the cheapest RT and dont worry about the rest of it!!! Hey BTW... How was the interview at the Naples Consulate??

Grazie! His interview was great. He said the Naples consulate was very efficiently run, that everyone was very gentile e cordiale, and he said the whole interview took about 10 minutes. He got there really early, was the 4th one called, and the woman there (after he made all of the sworn statements) asked him the usual questions: how did you meet, what does she do, when did you become engaged, etc., and then she said, basically, well, it looks like everything is in order; your visa will be ready later today. And that was it!

The paperwork is really intimidating, but I'm so glad we did it ourselves. And resources like VJ are invaluable. It de-mystified the process a lot!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Hi everyone,

I found a site where it appears you can buy one-way tickets fairly cheaply: http://www.bt-store.com/default.asp?CatID=...CFSC7sgodAz102A

Good luck!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.