THX1138

My wife was an OFW in Korea, police clearance issue

34 posts in this topic

Like many Filipino citizens, my wife was an OFW in Korea for 3 years. Naturally, since she was gone that long she needs a police clearance from South Korea. Per the State Department website:

Police Records

Korean National Police Certificate (Crime-Investigation History Report: Bomjoi-Soosa Kyongreok Johoi Hoiboseo) is available to visa applicants of any nationality who are physically present in South Korea. The new KNPC now includes all serious crimes since 1945, regardless of expungement benefits under Korean law, and misdemeanors for five years, according to the Individual Information Protection Law of March 2003.

Applicants presently in Korea: Foreign nationals, regardless of visa status, and Korean citizens must apply in person at any local police station. The KNP checks non-Koreans according to the requestor's Korean alien registration card or passport. Korean citizens must show a Korean identity card with the Korean citizen's unique, lifetime Korean identification number, which is found on Korean national identity cards and Korean passports adjacent to the applicant's name. KNP processing is no fee and takes less than one hour. The new KNPC bears a red ink half inch square stamp on the bottom containing the Korean characters for National Police. It is issued in Korean only and applicants must attach a complete English translation, certified as true and correct by anyone competent in Korean and English, for the visa interview. A simple computer printout of criminal records is issued with the Korean annotation for information only, has no red ink stamp and is not a KNPC for visa purposes.

Applicants outside of Korea: Unavailable.

If your wife or fiancee was an OFW in Korea could you please tell me how this was addressed? I would like to hear only from those whose loved one worked in Korea please...

Your input is very much appreciated...

:dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:

www.meinhofer.com

CR-1 Journey

-------------

USCIS World

-------------

07-07-09 Sent I-130 to CSC.

07-13-09 NOA1 received.

09-17-09 I-130 Approved!

09-23-09 NOA2 Hardcopy received.

-------------

Planet NVC

-------------

09-30-09 MNL Case Number assigned!

10-02-09 NVC mails out DS-3032 and AOS Bill.

10-07-09 AOS Bill received, payment made. DS-3032 emailed to NVC.

10-09-09 AOS Bill paid. I-864EZ mailed to NVC.

10-15-09 AOS I-864EZ accepted by NVC.

10-27-09 IV Bill PAID

10-30-09 Received Instructions Packet

10-30-09 Horror will need police clearances from Korea and Taiwan sets in. Head in the

sand period begins... shutting down... snoooooozzzzzzeeeeee..

01-07-10 Police clearances obtained... power on... rebooting... blink, BLINK! YawNN!!

01-14-10 DS230 Package sent to NVC via LBC

01-20-10 NVC Accepts DS230

01-28-10 Case Complete!

02-09-10 Received Appointment Letter! Appointment March 15th!

02-25-10 Medical Exam passed!

03-15-10 Embassy Interview, Passed!

03-18-10 Visa in hand! Need CFO sticker though... bummer.

03-19-10 CFO sticker acquired

03-24-10 Homeward bound flight, JFK POE!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
Like many Filipino citizens, my wife was an OFW in Korea for 3 years. Naturally, since she was gone that long she needs a police clearance from South Korea. Per the State Department website:

Police Records

Korean National Police Certificate (Crime-Investigation History Report: Bomjoi-Soosa Kyongreok Johoi Hoiboseo) is available to visa applicants of any nationality who are physically present in South Korea. The new KNPC now includes all serious crimes since 1945, regardless of expungement benefits under Korean law, and misdemeanors for five years, according to the Individual Information Protection Law of March 2003.

Applicants presently in Korea: Foreign nationals, regardless of visa status, and Korean citizens must apply in person at any local police station. The KNP checks non-Koreans according to the requestor's Korean alien registration card or passport. Korean citizens must show a Korean identity card with the Korean citizen's unique, lifetime Korean identification number, which is found on Korean national identity cards and Korean passports adjacent to the applicant's name. KNP processing is no fee and takes less than one hour. The new KNPC bears a red ink half inch square stamp on the bottom containing the Korean characters for National Police. It is issued in Korean only and applicants must attach a complete English translation, certified as true and correct by anyone competent in Korean and English, for the visa interview. A simple computer printout of criminal records is issued with the Korean annotation for information only, has no red ink stamp and is not a KNPC for visa purposes.

If your wife or fiancee was an OFW in Korea could you please tell me how this was addressed? I would like to hear only from those whose loved one worked in Korea please...

www.meinhofer.com

Well I used to work in kUwait and I didnt get the police clearance because in my case I should be personally presence to get the police clearance. We wrote a letter of hardship instead.

Hope I make sense :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Police Records

www.meinhofer.com

Well I used to work in kUwait and I didnt get the police clearance because in my case I should be personally presence to get the police clearance. We wrote a letter of hardship instead.

Do you have to submit the letter of hardship? Or is this a one pager stating it will be a financial burden? Then just bring it to the interview?

Did they even ask for the police clearance? I thought they only need the NBI clearance?

Thanks

Timeline

Have known each other and have been friends for 20+ Years.

May 18, 2009 - Mailed I-129F Package

May 19, 2009 - Receipt of Confirmation from USPS

May 22, 2009 - Check Cashed

May 23, 2009 - Received NOA1

May 23, 2009 - Signed up for E-mail updates on USCIS.gov website.

Aug 27, 2009 - Touched 1

Aug 27, 2009 - NOA-2 E-mail Received!

Sept 8, 2009 - NVC Received File - Was stuck in AP for 28 Days!

Oct 6, 2009 - NVC sent file to Manila - Thank GOD

Oct 9, 2009 - File in System at US. Embassy In Manila

Oct 15, 2009 - Information packet received by Beneficiary from Manila

Oct 14, 2009 - Advanced Medical Exam Passed

Nov 10, 2009 - Interview - Passed Thank GOD again.

Nov 17, 2009 - Visa received

Nov 17, 2009 - CFO Seminar

Nov 21, 2009 - returned to US with the Love of my life.

Dec 17th, 2009 - Wedding! Yahoo!

Jan 14th, 2010 - Mailed I-485 / 765 Package

Jan 21, 2010 - NOA1 for 485 / 765

Feb 17, 2010 - Biometrics

Mar 9, 2010 - EAD Card in Production

May 28, 2010 - Greencard Received!

The OP discussed how difficult it would be for his wife to secure a police certificate from Korea, since she is no longer a resident there. Bonksnp suggested that in lieu of getting a police clearance from Kuwait (which is another country that is difficult to secure a ploice clearance when you're no longer a resident there), they submitted a letter of hardship.

The USEM requires an applicant needs to secure a police clearance from any country outside of the Philippines where s/he lived for at least 6 months or more.

Police Records

www.meinhofer.com

Do you have to submit the letter of hardship? Or is this a one pager stating it will be a financial burden? Then just bring it to the interview?

Did they even ask for the police clearance? I thought they only need the NBI clearance?

Thanks

Be smart, have a plan, and hang on to the people you love. - Chris Gardner

N-400 Timeline

02-23-2018: Sent N-400 Application online

02-23-2018: Date on NOA, retrieved from online account

02-23-2018: Date on Biometrics Appointment Letter (Biometrics Appointment at Jacksonville ASC on March 13, 10:00 a.m.)

03-08-2018: Biometrics complete

04-05-2018: Case status updated - Interview Scheduled on May 10, 2018, 10:15 a.m. :D

05-10-2018: Citizenship Interview - Passed English and Civics Tests, Recommended for Approval! :D 

06-19-2018: Received email and text notification: Naturalization Ceremony Scheduled; waited for letter to be uploaded on online account - it has been set on Wednesday, July 25, 3:00 p.m.

07-25-2018: I am now a U.S. Citizen!

K3-K4 Journey.txt

Thank you all for your interest in the question I submitted to the forum. Especially thanks to marriedtomrg for capturing the essence of my question. I'm sure someone out there has gone through this very same issue and its just a matter of putting their thoughts to the keyboard... I hope an answer is out there that will benefit future members (Especially my wife :yes: ).

Thank you all!

:):):)

CR-1 Journey

-------------

USCIS World

-------------

07-13-09 NOA1 received.

09-17-09 I-130 Approved!

-------------

Planet NVC

-------------

10-27-09 IV Bill PAID

10-30-09 Horror will need police clearances from Korea and Taiwan sets in. Head in the

01-07-10 Police clearances obtained... power on... rebooting... blink, BLINK! YawNN!!

01-28-10 Case Complete!

hi,

Have you tried calling Korean Embassy in the Philippines? I have a friend here in VJ (but I have not seen her here for a long time) and she used to work in Korea, she got her Police Clearance thru Korean Embassy in Manila. You can pm her if you like, her account name is sayitonce.

This is her timeline for applying the said Police Clearance.

Apply police clearance @ Korean Embassy - March 10, 2009

Got my police clearance @ the Korean Embassy - April 21,2009

Thank you all for your interest in the question I submitted to the forum. Especially thanks to marriedtomrg for capturing the essence of my question. I'm sure someone out there has gone through this very same issue and its just a matter of putting their thoughts to the keyboard... I hope an answer is out there that will benefit future members (Especially my wife :yes: ).

Thank you all!

Edited by Mike's Lucy

Visit My Website

Nothing Worth Having is Easy.

hi,

Have you tried calling Korean Embassy in the Philippines? I have a friend here in VJ (but I have not seen her here for a long time) and she used to work in Korea, she got her Police Clearance thru Korean Embassy in Manila. You can pm her if you like, her account name is sayitonce.

Thank you all!

Thank you for your reply! I messaged her and hope to get a reply... Texted my wife with the Korean embassy phone numbers and told her this is top priority... It could potentially delay things...

It got me thinking too. Did some looking around and got to the Korean National Police Agency website.. Guess what I found? People asking about getting police clearances... Luckily the website is in English too... Bottom line it seems from the conversations that they want you to go through the embassy of your respective country...

Here's the link: http://www.police.go.kr/KNPA/civil/cv_counseling_list.jsp enjoy!

You'll see many topics are regarding the police clearance for former overseas workers.

Embassy information:

flag49.gif Korean Embassy in Makati City, Philippines Embassy of Korea (Republic) in Manila, Philippines

18th Floor, The Pacific Star Building

Sen. Gil Puyat corner Makati Avenue

Makati City, 1226

Metro Manila, Philippines

City: Makati City

Phone: (+63) 2 811-6139 to 44

Fax: (+63) 2 811-6148

Web Site: http://embassy_philippines.mofat.go.kr

Email: dipinfom@mofat.go.kr

Office Hours: 08.30-12.00 and 13.30-17.30

:dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:

CR-1 Journey

-------------

USCIS World

-------------

07-13-09 NOA1 received.

09-17-09 I-130 Approved!

-------------

Planet NVC

-------------

10-27-09 IV Bill PAID

01-28-10 Case Complete!

hi,

Thank you all!

MY wife had same trouble. She lived in Indonesia, and was required to appear in person in INDONESIA! US Embassy, Manila was worth diddly squat in terms of helping about this issue. In fact, I got rather irate with them.

Then the thought came to me to try the Indonesian Embassy in Manila. To make a long story short, she got all she needed through that embassy, and I am eternally grateful to the man who helped us

hi,

Thank you all!

MY wife had same trouble. She lived in Indonesia, and was required to appear in person in INDONESIA! US Embassy, Manila was worth diddly squat in terms of helping about this issue. In fact, I got rather irate with them.

Then the thought came to me to try the Indonesian Embassy in Manila. To make a long story short, she got all she needed through that embassy, and I am eternally grateful to the man who helped us

I believe you can do the same if you resided in Singapore for 6 months or more and are no longer a resident there. One of my clients was a Toyota mechanic who worked there several years back and he got his police clearance via the Singapore Embassy here in Manila.

Typically if you have lived anywhere in the Middle East countries or even in UAE, it is difficult to get police clearances there when you are no longer living there. Never known anyone to try to get a police clearance through their Embassies in the Philippines, though...perhaps someone out there has that experience also?

Hope this is helpful.

Edited by marriedtomrg

Be smart, have a plan, and hang on to the people you love. - Chris Gardner

N-400 Timeline

02-23-2018: Sent N-400 Application online

02-23-2018: Date on NOA, retrieved from online account

02-23-2018: Date on Biometrics Appointment Letter (Biometrics Appointment at Jacksonville ASC on March 13, 10:00 a.m.)

03-08-2018: Biometrics complete

04-05-2018: Case status updated - Interview Scheduled on May 10, 2018, 10:15 a.m. :D

05-10-2018: Citizenship Interview - Passed English and Civics Tests, Recommended for Approval! :D 

06-19-2018: Received email and text notification: Naturalization Ceremony Scheduled; waited for letter to be uploaded on online account - it has been set on Wednesday, July 25, 3:00 p.m.

07-25-2018: I am now a U.S. Citizen!

K3-K4 Journey.txt

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

great to read this thread.

I have the same problem. I had been to Vietnam for more than 6 months. I asked help from Vietnam embassy in Manila but they're pushing me to personally go back to Vietnam. They're not giving a help. I tried to search about it, it says I can authorize somebody to get the PCC on my behalf but my friends who are still in Vietnam are telling me to get it personally. Plane ticket is just expensive + hotel only to get the PCC which is only for $15. I know this is important but what do you think should I do? Do I have to write a letter of hardship too? Or don't have choice but to get it personally? Enlighten me please.

By the way,I am in the Philippines now and it's just hard to go back to Vietnam.

Thanks.

Edited by honey bear

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Has life been good?Let God hear your Thank you!

Has it been bad? Let Him hear your "I trust in you"

Has it been unfair? Sshhh...just have FAITH in Him."

AOS Timeline:

05/24/11 - Sent AOS package

06/04/11 - Received 3 Notices and Biometrics Appointment

06/17/11 - Walk-in Biometrics(for June 23rd)

06/23/11 - Transferred to CSC

07/20/11 - EAD card production;AP approved

07/28/11 - Received combo card EAD/AP in the mail

10/18/11 - Green card/document production

10/24/11 - Green Card in hand! to God be the glory!

Removal of Conditions Timeline:

07/17/2013 - Sent I-751 package

07/22/2013 - NOA1

08/09/2013 - Walk-in biometrics (for August 23rd)

10/31/2013 - Card production

11/07/2013 - Green card in hand! to God be the glory!

hi again, I just wanna ask, is your wife from Manila or Cebu? Please tell her to apply in Manila even if there's a Korean Embassy in Cebu too. It will take longer if you apply in the province than in Manila.

Visit My Website

Nothing Worth Having is Easy.

hi again, I just wanna ask, is your wife from Manila or Cebu? Please tell her to apply in Manila even if there's a Korean Embassy in Cebu too. It will take longer if you apply in the province than in Manila.

My wife lives 4 hours north of Manila in a little town called Pozorrubio in Pangasinan province. Since its Saturday night at this time, I told her don't worry about contacting them (Korean embassy) until Monday. I told her to make this her top priority for now because no matter how fast the case gets to Manila, gets the medical exam done, etc... she is still going to need that clearance at the interview. It could potentially slow any quick progress we have already made... Anyhow, thanks for the advice cause maybe someone out there could use the Manila vs Cebu alternatives...

Good luck on your journey!

www.meinhofer.com

:dance::dance::dance:

CR-1 Journey

-------------

USCIS World

-------------

07-13-09 NOA1 received.

09-17-09 I-130 Approved!

-------------

Planet NVC

-------------

10-27-09 IV Bill PAID

01-28-10 Case Complete!

I have the same problem. I had been to Vietnam for more than 6 months. I asked help from Vietnam embassy in Manila but they're pushing me to personally go back to Vietnam. They're not giving a help. I tried to search about it, it says I can authorize somebody to get the PCC on my behalf but my friends who are still in Vietnam are telling me to get it personally. Plane ticket is just expensive + hotel only to get the PCC which is only for $15. I know this is important but what do you think should I do? Do I have to write a letter of hardship too? Or don't have choice but to get it personally? Enlighten me please.

By the way,I am in the Philippines now and it's just hard to go back to Vietnam.

Thanks.

honey bear, this is what I found. Link included...

Police and Prison Records

Available.

Residents: Requests for a "Justice Record Check" (Phieu Ly Lich Tu Phap) are made at the Department of Justice office in an individual's district or official residence. The official residence is that registered in the "household registry" (Ho Khau) issued by the district police. There is a fee. The record check takes approximately three weeks to complete. The record check must be initiated in the district listed in the household registry as the citizen's official residence.

Non-Residents: Vietnamese citizens living overseas may request the "Justice Record Check" through the Vietnamese Embassy in their current country of residence. They may also request the "Justice Record Check" in person at their last place of residence in Vietnam, as reflected in their household registry.

Foreigners: Foreigners who reside or resided in Vietnam should contact the Vietnamese Department of Immigration in the district in which they currently reside/formerly resided to request the "Justice Record Check."

http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/reciproc...ocity_3705.html

Here is the link to the Vietnamese Department of Immigration

http://www.vnimm.gov.vn/%5CIndexe.asp

I hope this is helpful... :dance::dance::dance:

This site wants $155 and states "Quick turnaround time" for Vietnamese police background check but it doesn't anything about getting an actual police certificate... if they did then maybe its worth it...

http://www.infocubic.net/international/vietnam.htm

Maybe greasy palms make things work quicker :)

Edited by THX1138

CR-1 Journey

-------------

USCIS World

-------------

07-13-09 NOA1 received.

09-17-09 I-130 Approved!

-------------

Planet NVC

-------------

10-27-09 IV Bill PAID

01-28-10 Case Complete!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thanks.

honey bear, this is what I found. Link included...

Police and Prison Records

Available.

Residents: Requests for a "Justice Record Check" (Phieu Ly Lich Tu Phap) are made at the Department of Justice office in an individual's district or official residence. The official residence is that registered in the "household registry" (Ho Khau) issued by the district police. There is a fee. The record check takes approximately three weeks to complete. The record check must be initiated in the district listed in the household registry as the citizen's official residence.

Non-Residents: Vietnamese citizens living overseas may request the "Justice Record Check" through the Vietnamese Embassy in their current country of residence. They may also request the "Justice Record Check" in person at their last place of residence in Vietnam, as reflected in their household registry.

Foreigners: Foreigners who reside or resided in Vietnam should contact the Vietnamese Department of Immigration in the district in which they currently reside/formerly resided to request the "Justice Record Check."

http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/reciproc...ocity_3705.html

Here is the link to the Vietnamese Department of Immigration

http://www.vnimm.gov.vn/%5CIndexe.asp

I hope this is helpful... :dance::dance::dance:

This site wants $155 and states "Quick turnaround time" for Vietnamese police background check but it doesn't anything about getting an actual police certificate... if they did then maybe its worth it...

http://www.infocubic.net/international/vietnam.htm

Maybe greasy palms make things work quicker :)

THANK U SO MUCH FOR THE INFO. This is a big help. :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Has life been good?Let God hear your Thank you!

Has it been bad? Let Him hear your "I trust in you"

Has it been unfair? Sshhh...just have FAITH in Him."

AOS Timeline:

05/24/11 - Sent AOS package

06/04/11 - Received 3 Notices and Biometrics Appointment

06/17/11 - Walk-in Biometrics(for June 23rd)

06/23/11 - Transferred to CSC

07/20/11 - EAD card production;AP approved

07/28/11 - Received combo card EAD/AP in the mail

10/18/11 - Green card/document production

10/24/11 - Green Card in hand! to God be the glory!

Removal of Conditions Timeline:

07/17/2013 - Sent I-751 package

07/22/2013 - NOA1

08/09/2013 - Walk-in biometrics (for August 23rd)

10/31/2013 - Card production

11/07/2013 - Green card in hand! to God be the glory!

I believe you can do the same if you resided in Singapore for 6 months or more and are no longer a resident there. One of my clients was a Toyota mechanic who worked there several years back and he got his police clearance via the Singapore Embassy here in Manila.

Typically if you have lived anywhere in the Middle East countries or even in UAE, it is difficult to get police clearances there when you are no longer living there. Never known anyone to try to get a police clearance through their Embassies in the Philippines, though...perhaps someone out there has that experience also?

Hope this is helpful.

I applied for Good Moral Conduct from Dubai, UAE (lived there for 5 years) 14 months after I left that country. I just called the UAE embassy here and inquired. They advised me to go to NBI Taft for my fingerprints then it was authenticated by DFA (red ribbon) and attested by UAE embassy then I sent it to my friend in Dubai and she was the one who forwarded my documents to Dubai police headquaters. After 8 days, my good moral certificate was released.

I just don't know if same procedure applies to Korea.

Edited by chris@beth

September 2007-- Met Online (FilipinaHeart.com)
March 12,2009-- Married at Quezon City Hall of Justice
USCIS/NVC STAGE
May 8,2009-- I-130 Sent
August 17,2009-- I-130 Approved
August 26, 2009--case received at NVC
November 5,2009--CASE COMPLETED
USEM MANILA STAGE/ U.S. SOIL
November 17-18,2009--Medical PASSED
December 10, 2009--Interview @ 8:30AM A-P-P-R-O-V-E-D
January 25, 2010--FLIGHT(Manila-Japan-Detroit,MI-Buffalo,NY)
February 22,2010-- 2-yr GREEN CARD received
February 26, 2010--SSN received
REMOVING of CONDITIONS
December 22, 2011-- I-751 mailed
February 28, 2012-- Biometrics done

October 10, 2012-- 10-yr GREEN CARD received
NATURALIZATION
January 09, 2013-- sent N-400
January 28, 2013-- Biometrics

May 22, 2013-- Interview Passed- Officially a US Citizen!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.